Menu

27 Reasons NOT to Buy HOD...

silliness7

Yes, yes, and yes again. EVERY family situation is entirely UNIQUE.... here is a very humiliating and embarrassing confession....

I was SO utterly enamored with HOD (Okay, I still am:lol:) that I ABANDONED other "things" that I believed in for my children's education.... Basically, I put all of my eggs into the HOD basket without having actually USED HOD. I ignored slight "naggings" and "tuggings" in my heart about some of these "things".... because golly dang it there is SO MUCH TO ADORE with HOD. It took me buying FOUR guides (used, mind you), tons of books, DITHOR, selling other beloved curriculum (Phonics Road) and getting to the cusp of beginning HOD to realize that in order for HOD to work for MY FAMILY situation and according to particular goals I have then I have to TWEAK HOD. I don't want to.....I'd rather do something else. Highly embarrassing and humiliating to admit....though freeing because now I've written it for all to read.:D

I WAS fearful and decided I needed to step out in faith and move forward with the plan....but my REAL fear was revealed over the weekend as I was preparing for HOD. I faced that what I want is to do MY PLAN MY WAY outside of a BOX (HOD or MFW) and I have been afraid to step out of the box. I am preparing to step out ... :001_smile:

Sorry....that's not really one of the reason not to buy HOD. I think it is wonderful...and a great fit for many families....:001_smile: Carrie is a brilliant planner and guide writer. I'm beyond impressed with her....she has a very kind and generous heart as well.

Well if it is any consolation, I did the same exact thing with Weaver...bought all 4 guides plus all the High School supplements...arranged them chronologically...bought their grammar and spelling programs...spent an entire summer tweaking and cajoling those books to fit our famliy...only to give up...ditch it and go back to my own plans using WTM and CM.

It happens...

Faithe (who also did this with TOG, MFW and Sonlight...shhhhh:auto:)

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOD is a Christian curriculum and is evident in every lesson. HOD shows God's hand in every aspect of life, from History to Science and Reading in Dithor if you use it. So having it used secularily probably defeats the purpose of using HOD to begin with.

I'd have to disagree that the conversations are scheduled and directed at least in this context. I think they are a tool for parents; a how to to discuss what was read. There's so much narration that I'd say that it's not possible that they are scheduled and directed in this context. It sort of denotes strictness, which HOD is not. If you use Dithor there's a huge amount of conversation in comparing Godly behavior of book characters to what should or should not be done. HOD does do some modeling in history, none really in science, but most of the modeling is done for the sake of getting kids learning to narrate. For kids that need examples, they are given as starters. An example of how to begin. You may use them or not. It's up to you. But if you don't actually tell kids how to do things, and let them guess, then it could be quite a battle in the long run. Andrew Pudewa had a great seminar on telling kids exactly what you're looking for. I think HOD does this well.

You'll also find that there are no "answers" as HOD is extremely high on how to think, and not necessarily having a textbook answer. It's about how you got to your answer and what made you think so and the entire thinking process. http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8826&p=64679&hilit=answers#p64679

I also would beg to differ on delayed grammar. Before starting R&S 2, HOD introduces grammar...nouns, verbs, writing all on their own, pre R&S 2. R&S is very advanced and if you use R&S through their 8th grade, you'll find your child at college level.

I also wouldn't say HOD "pushes" Dithor. In fact it states you can use Dithor "or your own program" even in grammar and math! It gives you the option of using Dithor. I think that's a big difference than "pushing" it.

I do agree Science is light, but as you increase in grade level, I think it makes up for lost time, using Tiner's materials and Apologia materials in later elementary.

I know some think that HOD users seem to come to the rescue of HOD. But I have to admit, when some reviews are put into this context, it does make us come running.

While I don't want to nor intend to start anything here, I think this is a prime example of a clear disdain for HOD, just using the verbage and caps that were used. However I think we all need to be discerning in how we use reviews for ourselves and write reviews.

Also HOD is for families however, I believe better suited for closer age levels, which is it's intended purpose. Something like MFW is better suited for families that have all age levels...wider age gaps.

I agree!!!

Well if it is any consolation, I did the same exact thing with Weaver...bought all 4 guides plus all the High School supplements...arranged them chronologically...bought their grammar and spelling programs...spent an entire summer tweaking and cajoling those books to fit our famliy...only to give up...ditch it and go back to my own plans using WTM and CM.

It happens...

Faithe (who also did this with TOG, MFW and Sonlight...shhhhh:auto:)

:001_smile: It does console...

...and for the record I still think HOD is fantastic! It's not off the table here.... but I'm still standing up in my box and peering at the landscape around me. Today, I like the box. The Bigger guide is so good. :001_smile:

:iagree: This is exactly the kind of attitude that turned me off this curricula. You simply cannot say you don't like it for any reason or the authors/Hoddites start to crawl out of the nest and swarm. No thanks.

Well, I think HOD has been misrepresented here somewhat. I also think Carrie Austen and her sister have been as well. We use HOD, but only for my 2nd child. She also uses only the older guides.

We used the younger guides, and I just didn't care for them. It was more a style problem than a guide problem.

I LOVE TOG for my other 4 children. I LOVE HOD for this one daughter. She has used CTC, RTR and will use the newest guide this fall.

I knew I should have just stayed out of it. And I normally do because there is no way to disagree with HOD or any part of it without being picked apart or accused of having negative motivations for it. How is anyone who might just happen to have the same issues going to make an informed choice here if this is the reaction someone gets for sharing?

You are free to like it, and I am free not to. Free world and all. But why exactly are you calling me on the carpet for posting possible problems on a thread that asked for them? If I went on a thread about how excited someone was to be using it and tried to dissuade them, then maybe this would be justified.

Is there really no way to do that without HOD users crawling out of the woodwork to admonish? Why do you feel like you have to call into question anybody else's opinion? Maybe you need to read the board rules about everyone being entitled to an opinion and no curriculum working for everyone.

ETA: And for those who asked, this is exactly the problem people have with the HOD board. Just saying.

I previously used MFW for 3 yrs. and I have had the same thing happen w/ MFW users. Whenever I have tried to share why MFW did not work for us, the big MFW fans pop in to tell me why my opinion is wrong. I finally just quit replying to MFW threads. Anyway, I just think this happens with a lot of materials, unfortunately.

I'm looking at the CtC samples right now. Unfortunately I can't get some of the books from the library. :glare: But I really like the looks of it. I'm going to try putting it into my own schedule that I have worked up to see what the timeline would like in my homeschool.

But here's a random question. I'm noticing a lot of unlined blanks in the student notebook. Are these for drawing? I have one who looooovves to draw and another who detests it. She will tolerate it if she has a book to follow which I see CtC does have. I'm just wondering how much free drawing/sketching is involved. A little is fine but a lot...hmmm...Can that be substituted with gluing/pasting or writing? She would much rather write a 5 sentence paragraph than draw. And the other is exactly the opposite. Of course. :tongue_smilie: I pretty much had to drop the Notebooking pages from our Apologia Science this year because there were just too many blanks that needed a picture. (but we love the colorful lapbook element in the appendix...adore it!)

Edited by silliness7

We use a bible that came with our curriculum, NIrV, for young readers, and I absolutely love it! I love to listen to my kiddos read from it, and recently I've been using it for my personal bible reading! It's cool to read the Bible in a simplistic refreshing way!:001_smile:

Same here! We use the one that came with our adventures package :-) My kiddos love it!

I'm looking at the CtC samples right now. Unfortunately I can't get some of the books from the library. :glare: But I really like the looks of it. I'm going to try putting it into my own schedule that I have worked up to see what the timeline would like in my homeschool.

But here's a random question. I'm noticing a lot of unlined blanks in the student notebook. Are these for drawing? SOMETIMES... Usually only for timeline figures or maps. I have one who looooovves to draw and another who detests it. She will tolerate it if she has a book to follow which I see CtC does have. I'm just wondering how much free drawing/sketching is involved. Not a lot, and it is optional. My daughter who used CTC last year is not the artistic type. She would sometimes draw, sometimes just put in the title and sometimes google an image to paste. It is really flexible. A little is fine but a lot...hmmm...Can that be substituted with gluing/pasting or writing? She would much rather write a 5 sentence paragraph than draw. That is good, because there is a fair amount of written narration. And the other is exactly the opposite. Of course. :tongue_smilie: I wouldn't worry about either girl as my daughter doesn't like to write either. LOL, but she has flourished with HOD. I pretty much had to drop the Notebooking pages from our Apologia Science this year because there were just too many blanks that needed a picture. (but we love the colorful lapbook element in the appendix...adore it!)

I think it is important to keep things in context regarding the purpose of a particular lesson so that others don't make a judgement based on partial-information. That's why I want to share the complete (mostly) LHTH lesson that was referred to so that it can be shown in the appropriate context.

Creation and the Fall (Unit)

Bible Activity

(Cain and Abel)

Have students make mad faces, hit their stuffed animals, throw them on the ground, and walk away. Have students pick up their animals and say instead, Please don't do that! It makes me upset! Let's get along.

Tell the students to shake hands with their stuffed animals and twirl around.

Ask, which of these ways does God want us to act when we are mad?

Thank you for this I was beginning to really worry!

I attempted to use HOD with my ds, but I felt it was so light in content that I ended up supplementing virtually every subject. We moved on to something more rigorous that suited our needs better after three months or so.

For us, the idea of HOD was better than the reality.

Thanks for this thread as I've got HOD on my list of possibilities for 5th grade because it uses Story of the Ancient World. A couple of questions for those of you who use CtC...

Does CtC schedule any primary sources?

Does the program lend itself well to using WTM style writing (ie. narration, outlining, dictation)?

Is it worth the money if I'm not using the science or language arts suggestions (we would use the literature, but I'm going to use WWS and ALL-hopefully)?

Are there readers scheduled or do you have to use DITHOR?

From an authors perspective, I'm sure that Carrie's not trying to come off as militant, as it's hard not to respond in a public forum. For the record though, I do believe that no one curricula fits all people and everyone is entitled to their opinions. I'm very impressed and grateful by how SWB gives us total freedom to comment on any curricula on this board, including her own.

Paige-who is trying to not comment or look at an ES thread, so that freedom of expression may abound :).

Edited by Pata

Amazingly, I can fit CtC into our current schedule all except DITHOR. My dc do all of their literature 100% independently. Of course that means we don't get to discuss it much other than, "did you do it?" I guess I should add that I don't use comp guides or anything. Anyway, there is room on my dc's schedule for it but there is not room on mine for the discussion unless I can squeeze it next to an English lesson or drop the English lesson on DITHOR discussion days.

Can someone tell me approximately how much time is involved with DITHOR? I'm thinking I have to introduce the genre with some teacher guided activities? How long does that take? After the first week then I'm under the impression that I then choose the pace of their books and they are on their own. Then we come back together at the end to discuss.

So assuming we don't get carried away with a discussion can someone help me see how long per day I would need to spend with DITHOR. And assuming I keep to my current philosophy that one book ought to be read in one week (which is how I currently assign reading except for very rare instances) how many days per DITHOR unit will my dc need me with them?

If it's helpful to know that the dc in question will be 4th and 6th grade.

Now I need to print out the week sample for my up and coming 2nd grader. I think she might be more difficult to fit as I understand the younger guides are more teacher intensive and she currently is scheduled for the same amount of time as everyone else. But perhaps my 9th grader will not need so much time....now I have to look at his schedule. Sheesh!! But then she can have some of his time slots.

I'm assuming my 8th grader's schedule would fit very similar to the 4th/6th graders. I would put him in the brand-new guide because this year we are finishing up the Middle Ages and next year if we do go with MFW for high school he'll be doing ancients. So there is no way I would put him in CtC. That is very unfortunate particularly for my pocketbook. He will continue to do Wile's Apologia though so he will need more time for science than I allotted to the younger ones.

Thanks again for the wonderful information!! Your thoughts have been very helpful...but not in dissuading me. :lol: Well mini-confession I ordered one of the craft books for grammar level TOG (since I own it)...Make-It-Work Ancient Egypt. O.K. I like a little hands-on (more in the vein of History Pockets) but every single craft in that book just seems so inappropriate for an elementary kid. I forsee tears, drama, and lots and lots and lots and lots of help from me. And where do I buy balsa wood? And how the heck do I cut it in that shape? Do I need a saw? I don't do saws .period.

Thanks for this thread as I've got HOD on my list of possibilities for 5th grade because it uses Story of the Ancient World. A couple of questions for those of you who use CtC...

Does CtC schedule any primary sources?

Does the program lend itself well to using WTM style writing (ie. narration, outlining, dictation)?

Is it worth the money if I'm not using the science or language arts suggestions (we would use the literature, but I'm going to use WWS and ALL-hopefully)?

Are there readers scheduled or do you have to use DITHOR?

From an authors perspective, I'm sure that Carrie's not trying to come off as militant, as it's hard not to respond in a public forum. For the record though, I do believe that no one curricula fits all people and everyone is entitled to their opinions. I'm very impressed and grateful by how SWB gives us total freedom to comment on any curricula on this board, including her own.

Paige-who is trying to not comment or look at an ES thread, so that freedom of expression may abound :).

I have so enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts. Thank you, ladies, very much! I so much want to float away in the HOD balloon (and I still might :001_smile:) but reading the comments here makes me feel a little more grounded. Please keep them coming.

Please tell me more about this.

I already do my own plan, my own way and it works fine for me. I school 5 children. I keep them 100% separate due to attitude problems. I also find the one-on-one tutoring to be the most efficient and effective way for my family. We school from 8-5 four days per week with the 5th day for band/choir and math/reading.

But I look at HOD and see that interesting additions that I do NOT do but would like to. I'm looking at the sample for my 2nd grader. We already do many of those things. But I like the Key idea to kind of wrap everything up. History can be tough for little ones. That's a lot of words to listen to. I like the Key Idea being right out there. I like the inclusion of character traits. I do not do that. I like the Geography portion. I don't do that either. I'm looking at the sample for my 4th/6th grade. She has timeline and history project mapped out. I don't do that. She has art ideas to go along with the poems. We already do poetry but not art. Again, I LOVE the key ideas.

O.K. I'm looking at the samples again and I just really like the way she focuses your attention on particular ideas. I just don't think I'm good at that. I don't have a lot of time to keep up on everyone's readings and that is probably a big reason why I don't/can't do this even though my 7th/8th graders are reading the same history/Bible books and the 3rd/4th graders are reading the same Bible/history books. They are all reading different lit books. I'm obviously reading everything out loud to the 1st grade. I so desperately want to keep up on everyone's readings and every year I plan to do better. But frankly, I am tired of "school" once 5 o'clock hits and I want to do and NEED to do "mom" stuff. There just isn't any time.

Anyhooo...I've gone way off topic on my own thread. I'm very independent and very opinionated. I'm afraid of being locked into someone else's plan. But I also feel like on my own, I'm lacking something. It's not the plan. I've got that. It's not great books. I've got those too. I have 90-120 min. every day for every kid. Perhaps that's a lot of words to say I'm intrigued by the variety of activities to follow up with the readings and the key ideas. We just read and read and read and write the same old narration.every.time. It's nice. It's easy. It's getting old. Thanks for listening to me ramble.

....please continue with the list, or feel free to float away on a HOD tangent. I enjoy ALL of it. :001_smile:

Weeelllll, I read the whole thread this morning and in your case the #1 reason is you'll be running so many guides! My suggestion to you, instead of reviewing your TOG from Rhetoric down, start at the bottom and see how easy it is to implement from the bottom up. You may find it is easier overall than running several guides. Personally, and of course anyone else's mileage may vary, but there is not way I could handle so many guides. My kids never fall neatly into levels b/c their abilities vary amongst subject matter as much as their ages vary. Flexibility in moving a child up or down as appropriate truly matters over here. I have never used HOD, but have learned a lot about if from reading both forums. It couldn't happen over here. I could not do HOD justice with my large family.

I previously used MFW for 3 yrs. and I have had the same thing happen w/ MFW users. Whenever I have tried to share why MFW did not work for us, the big MFW fans pop in to tell me why my opinion is wrong. I finally just quit replying to MFW threads. Anyway, I just think this happens with a lot of materials, unfortunately.

:iagree: same experience here. And, for that reason, I began to hold my comments on the HOD vs. MFW threads, which are abundant on this board.

Could I gently and kindly remind that non-Christians read these threads and most of what is said on them is a terrible, terrible witness for the Lord?

Carrie is a dear Christian sister, as are the authors of MFW and TOG and MOH and SL, etc. These women are incrediable servants and are a great blessing to the homeschooling community. I have no problem with anyone criticizing a curriculum but these discussions should not become personal, either against the authors or the users of the curriculum. And, it does become personal. I have received private messages from particular board members in which I have been personally accused of a number of things, none of which were true and none of which received a response from me. And, FWIW, Carrie is not on a power trip. She highly moderates the board for several reasons, one of which is that she is opposed to a complaining spirit, knowing that that is not of the Lord.

Now, someone needs to start a 27 reasons TO use HOD thread... :D

Blessings All!

Well I think HOD is so do-able, and works on your kids skills without any planning work from mom (not even pulling narrations out, kwim?). Phonics Road works great with it. I see no reason to switch either one.

I think that TWTM people tend to lean toward tons of reading and very little writing, so it can be scary to make your kid do the work... but

1. They need to do it. (Honestly when I lean toward TWTM style of very little writing I feel like we are way behind our PS counterparts.)

2. It is somehow more palatable or easier when done the HOD way, rather than, say all of the writing in Elemental Science, or the WWE assignments.

3. They learn so much more by reading a little bit and then reviewing it through writing and projects.

4. HOD gradually, painlessly moves your child toward independence.

5. I don't have to use the whole guide. I don't. DD was put off by the Bible; we skip ALL of that.

My main problems with HOD:

I don't care to use the guides before Bigger. At all.

I worry about the religious conflict.

It looks as though the science might be lacking. There is an awful lot of read this page and narrate type of assignments for science, and some books that are so tied in to the history (which is great if you use them for history and supplement science.)

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I'd have to disagree that the conversations are scheduled and directed at least in this context. I think they are a tool for parents; a how to to discuss what was read. There's so much narration that I'd say that it's not possible that they are scheduled and directed in this context. It sort of denotes strictness, which HOD is not. If you use Dithor there's a huge amount of conversation in comparing Godly behavior of book characters to what should or should not be done. HOD does do some modeling in history, none really in science, but most of the modeling is done for the sake of getting kids learning to narrate. For kids that need examples, they are given as starters. An example of how to begin. You may use them or not. It's up to you. But if you don't actually tell kids how to do things, and let them guess, then it could be quite a battle in the long run. Andrew Pudewa had a great seminar on telling kids exactly what you're looking for. I think HOD does this well.

You'll also find that there are no "answers" as HOD is extremely high on how to think, and not necessarily having a textbook answer. It's about how you got to your answer and what made you think so and the entire thinking process. http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8826&p=64679&hilit=answers#p64679

I also would beg to differ on delayed grammar. Before starting R&S 2, HOD introduces grammar...nouns, verbs, writing all on their own, pre R&S 2. R&S is very advanced and if you use R&S through their 8th grade, you'll find your child at college level.

I also wouldn't say HOD "pushes" Dithor. In fact it states you can use Dithor "or your own program" even in grammar and math! It gives you the option of using Dithor. I think that's a big difference than "pushing" it.

I am almost regretting posting here at all now that I have read the thread. Yikes! Sorry, even though I agree with all of the above, I saw nothing wrong with Asenik's post. It is simply a matter of different opinions. Edited by Lovedtodeath

Carrie is a dear Christian sister, as are the authors of MFW and TOG and MOH and SL, etc. These women are incrediable servants and are a great blessing to the homeschooling community. I have no problem with anyone criticizing a curriculum but these discussions should not become personal, either against the authors or the users of the curriculum. And, it does become personal. I have received private messages from particular board members in which I have been personally accused of a number of things, none of which were true and none of which received a response from me. And, FWIW, Carrie is not on a power trip. She highly moderates the board for several reasons, one of which is that she is opposed to a complaining spirit, knowing that that is not of the Lord.

Blessings All!

:iagree:

Well said!! I have hesitated to post of this thread, but I have been grieved by some of the hurtful comments directed towards Carrie and Julie and was quite taken aback by the comment that the HOD board was "cult like," especially as it was made by someone who has been extensively helped on the HOD board by Carrie, Julie and many others. Personally, I have felt an extremely gracious spirit from both Carrie and Julie and a selfless willingness to help others and give of themselves. HOD is a small family business. They pay for the HOD board themselves and since the purpose of the board is to help HOD users implement HOD, I can understand them not allowing posts that support other programs. It'd be like someone posting on AAS about how great Spelling Power is. Frankly, the HOD board is one of my favorite boards to visit, because it is like a breath of fresh air; I never have to worry that there will be mean-spirited comments or negative bantering. For me, it's like an oasis. I have no problem with differences of opinion (which is why I also visit WTM), but it's nice to have one peaceful place to visit.

As a side note, I have no problem with others sharing why HOD doesn't work for them. I think it's important for folks to know fully how HOD works and if specific parts didn't work for a family, it's good to share them with someone who is considering the program. I thought Asenik's post was good and I'm not sure why it would have been criticized. She didn't criticize Carrie or Julie or put HOD in a negative light; she simply shared why it might not work for some.

I will also say that, although Carrie believes her choices are great ones and does recommend them, she also has repeatedly stated that people can use their own math, reading, cursive, etc. We have effectively used HOD, but with our own math, reading, phonics, spelling and cursive and I don't feel it has affected the flow of the program.

Can someone tell me approximately how much time is involved with DITHOR? I'm thinking I have to introduce the genre with some teacher guided activities? How long does that take? After the first week then I'm under the impression that I then choose the pace of their books and they are on their own. Then we come back together at the end to discuss.

So assuming we don't get carried away with a discussion can someone help me see how long per day I would need to spend with DITHOR.

From the HOD website (under FAQ about DITHOR):

Q: How much time will I spend teaching the lessons?

A:

• Level 2/3 about 20 min. per day

• Level 4/5 about 30 min. on alternating days

• Level 6/7/8 about 20 min. 2-3 times per week

Note: Students have independent work daily in addition to the times listed above.

Carmen, I know that you are currently using Bigger, will you move to preparing next year? I remember you saying previously that perhaps you wouldn't.

Thanks

Stephanie

I have decided to try it. I can't guarantee that we will stick with it. I plan to use WP Sea and Sky either with Preparing or one year after it. Then I have my own World Geography to do. I am not sure where we will be after that, but will be following the 4 year cycle. I will need to supplement any Church history with our own, being restorationists, but I like the idea of a framework for that being there for me. And science Ack! We have decided as a family to teach both a secular and a YE viewpoint (we are neither, lol)... and I am still up in the air. I think we will be sticking to Elemental Science for Logic Stage and tackle adding in the evolutionary and YE viewpoints in High School, but I am still not sure.

Thanks for asking me. I feel better about saying anything on this thread to begin with. ;)

Edited by Lovedtodeath

About the HOD boards: I have been very frustrated when there are people posting there about LDs and I am not allowed to post anything helpful to them. The purpose of the HOD board is to help one implement HOD. Period. I think that they should at least let me spell that out to those mom's posting about LDs, instead of them being encouraged to try HOD as is...

Other than that I see Carrie's point.

I have decided on HOD for next year and this thread has been interesting. Thanks! I like to hear what people dont like so I know what things I may need to change. It wont make me like this program any less, but will make me more prepared!

There is no way this program will be perfect for us,but I am not about to write my own. ;)

I have decided on HOD for next year and this thread has been interesting. Thanks! I like to hear what people dont like so I know what things I may need to change. It wont make me like this program any less, but will make me more prepared!

There is no way this program will be perfect for us,but I am not about to write my own. ;)

What are you going to use? :001_smile:

Weeelllll, I read the whole thread this morning and in your case the #1 reason is you'll be running so many guides! My suggestion to you, instead of reviewing your TOG from Rhetoric down, start at the bottom and see how easy it is to implement from the bottom up. You may find it is easier overall than running several guides. Personally, and of course anyone else's mileage may vary, but there is not way I could handle so many guides. My kids never fall neatly into levels b/c their abilities vary amongst subject matter as much as their ages vary. Flexibility in moving a child up or down as appropriate truly matters over here. I have never used HOD, but have learned a lot about if from reading both forums. It couldn't happen over here. I could not do HOD justice with my large family.

Tina,

After being so patient with me and answering all of my TOG questions, you caught me flirting with another program. :blushing:

I'm sorry. The library books that I ordered when I first bought it are starting to trickle in and every day I lose a bit more enthusiasm. I did go back and look at the highschool credit confusion. I was scheduling too much. I took a deep breath and just waited for the ONE Egypt book to come in at the library...now I know I don't need the TWO. :001_smile: Then when it came in I started flipping out thinking that a highschooler would be required to read the entire thing save 3 chapters in 3 WEEKS!!! Woah!! It's 1/3 the size of a standard history book. So even though I got to scrap the 2nd book, I still think that is entirely too much.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. :blushing: I'm highly motivated to want to like it and use it as it's the only affordable option on the table right now. Rats!

Tina,

After being so patient with me and answering all of my TOG questions, you caught me flirting with another program. :blushing:

I'm sorry. The library books that I ordered when I first bought it are starting to trickle in and every day I lose a bit more enthusiasm. I did go back and look at the highschool credit confusion. I was scheduling too much. I took a deep breath and just waited for the ONE Egypt book to come in at the library...now I know I don't need the TWO. :001_smile: Then when it came in I started flipping out thinking that a highschooler would be required to read the entire thing save 3 chapters in 3 WEEKS!!! Woah!! It's 1/3 the size of a standard history book. So even though I got to scrap the 2nd book, I still think that is entirely too much.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. :blushing: I'm highly motivated to want to like it and use it as it's the only affordable option on the table right now. Rats!

You are silly! (referring to your screen name!). No need for apologies. Just trying to get a handle on your thoughts. I find TOG heavy, too, so we spend more time per week (about 1.5 weeks per TOG week). We can get through 3 units easily, with time to spend on other things are stretch out areas of deep interest. TOG is a lot for high school, that's for sure. We choose 1 "elective" per year, so we'll focus on history every year, and while we read the lit., we will only do the lit. study in whole during one school year and simply read the other years. We'll focus on Philosophy in Year 1; Governement in Year 3+4; Lit. in Year 2, etc. That way, we get the benefits, but not make our lives revolve around TOG.

Enough hijacking here (sorry HODers), just plodding along with silliness :)

Guest RecumbentHeart

Carmen, why not the guides before Bigger? Curious minds want details. It's the guides before Bigger that I'm considering. :)

Blessings All!

Oh, I hope my title didn't offend anyone. I got that straight from Sonlight who includes such an article in their own catalog on why you may not like Sonlight.

So I was thinking if people expressed why I may not like HOD or why they didn't like HOD it would help send me back to my TOG corner. However, it isn't working at all. Even the reason about not being able to combine hasn't deterred me at all. But if it should and I'm a lunatic, someone talk me down. I kind of think what I'm doing now is lunacy. I love how LA skills alternate in HOD.

Currently for LA we do

*R&S grammar

*cursive copywork

*3 written narrations (Bible, history, fairy tale) 1 with my guidance and the other 2 independently.

*spelling dictation

*spelling workbook

*vocabulary workbook

*review of old poetry memory work

*new poetry memory work

*several chapters of reading in a chapter book (on top of history/science reading for the day)

We do all of that every single day. (well we school 4 days per week. We do math, reading and music classes on the other day)

I'm seriously thinking HOD will make things easier around here even though there are so many of us.

Anyway, I didn't mean to offend.

Maybe reason #16 (or wherever we are) could be

...If you like to do every single language arts component every single day you might not like HOD because HOD alternate components freeing up more time for things that might not get done like geography, poetry, art, character study, or deep discussion.

Could be a turn off for some. But for me, on this day, it sounds like a plus . :D

Guest RecumbentHeart
Oh, I hope my title didn't offend anyone. I got that straight from Sonlight who includes such an article in their own catalog on why you may not like Sonlight.

Well, that's just the thing - one person's 27 reasons not to buy is another person's 27 reasons to go ahead and do it. :001_smile:

Even the forum.

Edited by RecumbentHeart

Rebecca, I have been considering HOD for the reasons you mentioned; we want to cover the same things you do. However, either I feel I've covered everything and our school days are too long, or I cut things out, and always feel I am missing something. I guess what I am afraid of with HOD is:

- losing touch with the kids, as we do history, read-alouds and Bible together and I'd like that to continue

- having really long school days like we get here when I try to cover everything

- running two guides - Bigger for ds7 (almost 8) and CTC for two ds who will be 11 and extensions (and my own materials) for 8th grade ds. Not sure how that will work out, or whether we could do a bunch of history together even though it's scheduled to be done independently.

Also, I am wondering whether the amount of writing in Bigger will be too much for littlest, who has some special needs, but is too old for Beyond in other ways.

So I have answered nothing for you, added to a very long thread, and put more questions out there! But those are the reasons keeping me from ordering.

Blessings,

Aimee

Mom to 6 great kids ages 7-20

Some homegrown, some born in Korea, all born in my heart

From the HOD website (under FAQ about DITHOR):

Q: How much time will I spend teaching the lessons?

A:

• Level 2/3 about 20 min. per day

• Level 4/5 about 30 min. on alternating days

• Level 6/7/8 about 20 min. 2-3 times per week

Note: Students have independent work daily in addition to the times listed above.

Thank you. I guess my other question is (maybe I should check the HOD site first. :blushing:) is whether CtC schedules DITHOR pretty much as written. Probably it does since it's the author's own program. So a CtC student will get through all 9 genres as opposed to doing 4 one year and 3 another or something like that? It's not like R&S English which is slowed down some?

Thank you so much for your help!!

I should also add two other reasons keeping me from buying HOD:

- if we choose to take a few days off, or have sickness or guests, I worry that it will completely throw off a very set schedule

- Bigger is scheduled for 5 days, and we do a 4 day week with a co-op on the 5th. Not sure how that would work out.

I still can't put down the catalog though...

Blessings,

Aimee

Mom to 6 great kids ages 7-20

Some homegrown, some born in Korea, all born in my heart

Thank you. I guess my other question is (maybe I should check the HOD site first. :blushing:) is whether CtC schedules DITHOR pretty much as written. Probably it does since it's the author's own program. So a CtC student will get through all 9 genres as opposed to doing 4 one year and 3 another or something like that? It's not like R&S English which is slowed down some?

Rebecca,

DITHOR is simply written into the box with no specifics. YOU decide what genre and you can obviously omit DITHOR, substitute something in its place, or pace it differently to suit your family. This will be easier for you to see how you can customize it if you have the DITHOR manual in your hands. When I first got it I was overwhelmed. Then, after I spent time with it I really began to appreciate it. It's been a slow build for me to want to use it.... I think DITHOR looks like a strong program and that if the effort is put in it will really benefit the student. I also think that for some kids the genre projects will be a highlight. I know my oldest son will love doing them if we stay with HOD.

Carrie gives you a lot of help in figuring out/laying down a schedule but it is quite flexible. She gives you schedules you photocopy and fill in for knowing what book, how many pages to read per day, etc. It's really easy to figure out after you read through the manual and follow her steps. You can decide to slow DITHOR down as well. You could, if desired, study a few genres this year with DITHOR and a few the next with "just reading" in between your DITHOR units. It's really up to you!

In CTC DITHOR is scheduled to use 3x a week and it is likely that your CTC student is using DITHOR Level 4/5 acc. to the placement chart. The HOD plans in your guide don't give you a specific assignment for that day. It simply says, "Help students complete one lesson from the following reading program: Drawn Into the Heart of Reading".

It is O.K. to start your guide, get a groove, and then fold DITHOR in when you are settled running a few guides. HOD is much more flexible than I realized at first. I'm seeing that more and more as I am slowly easing in to HOD this week.... it has this magnetic pull on me. I'm trying to set it aside because I REALLY want to go on my own yet HOD ends up having so much of what I WANT to do on my own (as I've been toying with my plans) that I keep saying to myself, "Well, this is why I chose HOD. It uses this." Humph. It's not making stepping outside of the box very easy....

:001_smile:

I think abrightmom did a great job explaining DITHOR. I'll just add that we do R&S Reading and thus we use ERS this year (and DITHOR next year) however it fits with our schedule. In other words, I don't follow any certain pacing based on the HOD manual. For the ERS, we've pretty much been able to follow the schedule in the back, but for DITHOR, I might just do 3-4 genres. I think that's one of the great things about DITHOR; you can use it however you'd like.

I liked this from the HOD site and found it to be freeing for me:

Q:How have other parents used this program?

A: There are many options. Here are some of the more common ones:

• Go through the program in one year, covering all 9 units in any order.

• Spread the program out over 2 years, covering 1/2 of the units one year and 1/2 of the units the next year in any order.

• Teach Drawn Into the Heart of Reading 3 or 4 days a week instead of daily, stretching each level out over 2 years.

• Use the units sporadically as they match other things you may be teaching.

• Teach a reading unit one month and then follow that with a month of free reading books from the same genre. Then, teach a new unit the next month.

Rebecca,

DITHOR is simply written into the box with no specifics. YOU decide what genre and you can obviously omit DITHOR, substitute something in its place, or pace it differently to suit your family. This will be easier for you to see how you can customize it if you have the DITHOR manual in your hands. When I first got it I was overwhelmed. Then, after I spent time with it I really began to appreciate it. It's been a slow build for me to want to use it.... I think DITHOR looks like a strong program and that if the effort is put in it will really benefit the student. I also think that for some kids the genre projects will be a highlight. I know my oldest son will love doing them if we stay with HOD.

Carrie gives you a lot of help in figuring out/laying down a schedule but it is quite flexible. She gives you schedules you photocopy and fill in for knowing what book, how many pages to read per day, etc. It's really easy to figure out after you read through the manual and follow her steps. You can decide to slow DITHOR down as well. You could, if desired, study a few genres this year with DITHOR and a few the next with "just reading" in between your DITHOR units. It's really up to you!

In CTC DITHOR is scheduled to use 3x a week and it is likely that your CTC student is using DITHOR Level 4/5 acc. to the placement chart. The HOD plans in your guide don't give you a specific assignment for that day. It simply says, "Help students complete one lesson from the following reading program: Drawn Into the Heart of Reading".

It is O.K. to start your guide, get a groove, and then fold DITHOR in when you are settled running a few guides. HOD is much more flexible than I realized at first. I'm seeing that more and more as I am slowly easing in to HOD this week.... it has this magnetic pull on me. I'm trying to set it aside because I REALLY want to go on my own yet HOD ends up having so much of what I WANT to do on my own (as I've been toying with my plans) that I keep saying to myself, "Well, this is why I chose HOD. It uses this." Humph. It's not making stepping outside of the box very easy....

:001_smile:

How excellent!! I might just let them read as they do now during that time for the first 6 weeks or so while I get a good feel for everything else. I may even put off purchasing it then so I can spread out the cost. I'm glad to know I can get started without it. Thank you for the information!!

I think abrightmom did a great job explaining DITHOR. I'll just add that we do R&S Reading and thus we use ERS this year (and DITHOR next year) however it fits with our schedule. In other words, I don't follow any certain pacing based on the HOD manual. For the ERS, we've pretty much been able to follow the schedule in the back, but for DITHOR, I might just do 3-4 genres. I think that's one of the great things about DITHOR; you can use it however you'd like.

I liked this from the HOD site and found it to be freeing for me:

Q:How have other parents used this program?

A: There are many options. Here are some of the more common ones:

• Go through the program in one year, covering all 9 units in any order.

• Spread the program out over 2 years, covering 1/2 of the units one year and 1/2 of the units the next year in any order.

• Teach Drawn Into the Heart of Reading 3 or 4 days a week instead of daily, stretching each level out over 2 years.

• Use the units sporadically as they match other things you may be teaching.

• Teach a reading unit one month and then follow that with a month of free reading books from the same genre. Then, teach a new unit the next month.

That is very freeing. Thank you for posting that. I may have to go hang out on the HOD boards some. I'm just so used to hanging out here. Creature of habit. :D

It's funny how the brain works, or just my brain. Having the option to switch math was a no-brainer for me. I'm a Saxon girl. Having the option to switch grammar was a non-issue for me. I'm a R&S girl. Having the option to switch reading programs did not compute. I guess because I have no loyalty presently but wish I did. Homeschooling Mom looking to fall in love with a Handsome Reading Program because going it on my own makes me feel like less of an educator. :lol:

Homeschooling Mom looking to fall in love with a Handsome Reading Program because going it on my own makes me feel like less of an educator. :lol:

:laugh:

I do think this thread has been a good one. Lots of good points from both sides. I'd rather know going into something what potentially could be bothersome, as well as how well things can work.

I just wanted to say I have loved using HOD and using the message board. I have found it a good mix of hands on, good books, writing, narration, projects, etc.

I am not sure what # not to use reason this post is on but mine would be if you want to spent lots of additional money, time and energy after buying your curr then you won't like HOD!

and if you don't want a message board where you can get quick answers and ideas when you need them then you won't like HOD :)

I also think this was a good thread. I would say to all that are interested in HOD that even though it didn't work out for my family with the two guides that I tried I still feel these guides are very well organized and the author/s put a great deal of time and care into making a wonderful curriculum. I still look at the website and wonder if it would fit my dd better now that she is older. Who knows...maybe later....:D

No matter what you choose to use I hope you find the correct fit for your family.

Penny

Excellent point and I would add that it is hard for any curriculum to be a perfect fit. I hope your year is filled with quality learning!!!

I have become pretty interested in HOD (even though I pretty much know what I am doing next year, lol). I just hate jumping into something in the middle/near the end.

I did not post to this thread before because I needed to think it through. I am definitely not anti-HOD and may possibly use it again in the future. My #1 reason not to use HOD is that I am too picky with my book choices (IOW my taste does not run parallel to HOD's). My #2 reason is that the sequence has been hard for me to understand- Bible, World, US, US, World Overview, 4 year sequence? Is that they way it goes? We have used parts of Preparing this year and enjoyed it. It taught me how to do dictation and narration. My #3 reason not to use HOD is that I don't utilize most of the boxes. :blushing: I guess I'm too eclectic in my taste.

I have decided to try it. I can't guarantee that we will stick with it. I plan to use WP Sea and Sky either with Preparing or one year after it. Then I have my own World Geography to do. I am not sure where we will be after that, but will be following the 4 year cycle. I will need to supplement any Church history with our own, being restorationists, but I like the idea of a framework for that being there for me. And science Ack! We have decided as a family to teach both a secular and a YE viewpoint (we are neither, lol)... and I am still up in the air. I think we will be sticking to Elemental Science for Logic Stage and tackle adding in the evolutionary and YE viewpoints in High School, but I am still not sure.

Thanks for asking me. I feel better about saying anything on this thread to begin with. ;)

I would say S&S is quite a bit harder than Preparing, and remind you that it is quite SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY oriented. You really don't need any more science than S&S has to offer. You might want to supplement history or use history themed readers.

So I was thinking if people expressed why I may not like HOD or why they didn't like HOD it would help send me back to my TOG corner. However, it isn't working at all. Even the reason about not being able to combine hasn't deterred me at all. But if it should and I'm a lunatic, someone talk me down. I kind of think what I'm doing now is lunacy. I love how LA skills alternate in HOD.

Currently for LA we do

*R&S grammar

*cursive copywork

*3 written narrations (Bible, history, fairy tale) 1 with my guidance and the other 2 independently.

*spelling dictation

*spelling workbook

*vocabulary workbook

*review of old poetry memory work

*new poetry memory work

*several chapters of reading in a chapter book (on top of history/science reading for the day)

We do all of that every single day. (well we school 4 days per week. We do math, reading and music classes on the other day)

I'm seriously thinking HOD will make things easier around here even though there are so many of us.

Anyway, I didn't mean to offend.

Maybe reason #16 (or wherever we are) could be

...If you like to do every single language arts component every single day you might not like HOD because HOD alternate components freeing up more time for things that might not get done like geography, poetry, art, character study, or deep discussion.

Could be a turn off for some. But for me, on this day, it sounds like a plus . :D

I'd like to encourage you to rework your schedule NOW on your own so that you're not doing all those components every day. Why wait until next year to fix something that obviously isn't working for you?

Here are my suggestions:

*R&S grammar- Keep this but do some orally as desired

*cursive copywork- Keep this but consider cutting the amount if needed

*3 written narrations (Bible, history, fairy tale) 1 with my guidance and the other 2 independently.- Rotate this: do one per day not three.

*spelling dictation- Keep this unless you prefer the workbook.

*spelling workbook- Cut this unless you prefer it to the dictation.

*vocabulary workbook- Keep, consider reducing amount if needed.

*review of old poetry memory work- Reduce to every other day.

*new poetry memory work- Reduce to every other day.

*several chapters of reading in a chapter book (on top of history/science reading for the day)- Make this on a child-led basis after school hours. (I don't mean you drop it, but take it out of your routine and add it to theirs).

No kidding. I HAVE been writing my own for the last 6 weeks or so and I'm just dying with the workload. I work overnights usually 2 - 3 times a week and I have a 6th and a 10th grader. I just can't keep writing this for my youngest. So I look for something that is close to what I want, knowing that I have to be willing to give up the idea of something being exactly what I want in exchange for maintaining enough sanity of not to jump off a bridge.

Heather

I

Here are my suggestions:

*R&S grammar- Keep this but do some orally as desired

*cursive copywork- Keep this but consider cutting the amount if needed

*3 written narrations (Bible, history, fairy tale) 1 with my guidance and the other 2 independently.- Rotate this: do one per day not three.

*spelling dictation- Keep this unless you prefer the workbook.

*spelling workbook- Cut this unless you prefer it to the dictation.

*vocabulary workbook- Keep, consider reducing amount if needed.

*review of old poetry memory work- Reduce to every other day.

*new poetry memory work- Reduce to every other day.

*several chapters of reading in a chapter book (on top of history/science reading for the day)- Make this on a child-led basis after school hours. (I don't mean you drop it, but take it out of your routine and add it to theirs).

Can you clarify this for me? is this what LA looks like in HOD? Which guide - Bigger, Preparing? Is this what you are doing with Sea and Sky?

Heather

I think your title for this thread was very creative :-) Thanks for posting as I have learned much from this thread and have decided we are going with HOD beyond next year. I am just unsure of whether we will use BJU for english or R&S. Anyone have advice on that?

I've used both. BJU has a writing element and if you used that you wouldn't need the rest of the writing in HOD, skipping that portion, which is easy to do. Since BJU does writing when they're not doing grammar because it goes by chapter, you're not doing any more or any less work.

R&S is much less time consuming because it's done orally, and you wouldn't do the writing portion which is once a week through HOD. You could do BJU orally as well if you desired, although BJU's worktext is so pretty! ;)

Either can be done very effectively and easily. It comes down to your preference. Nothing lost, nothing gained. I like BJU, but dd prefered R&S, so we went back to R&S.

Edited by alilac
typo

I think your title for this thread was very creative :-) Thanks for posting as I have learned much from this thread and have decided we are going with HOD beyond next year. I am just unsure of whether we will use BJU for english or R&S. Anyone have advice on that?

I agree on the title. I knew exactly where she got it from. It's funny but I always seem to find the 'why not to use' threads more useful than the 'I love this' threads. Half the time I find myself saying 'hey - they don't like that but it's exactly what I'm looking for'.

As far as R&S vs BJU.... I used BJU English one year. I really don't like it. It just isn't that deep or great. I didn't think it required much thinking about the material. My daughter got to where she could guess what went in the blank without even really reading the information.

That said, R&S isn't exactly my favorite either but it is far better than BJU. You didn't mention what levels but in the younger levels R&S is decent. When my oldest got to level 5 and 6 (at the age when they are really starting to analyze grammar) I found that she was doing well with the work but the deeper understanding wasn't there. I do realize this isn't true for everyone but it was for us. Plus it became just overwhelmingly time consuming. So we switched to Analytical Grammar which is fantastic. That is for grades 6 and up. They do have a Junior Analytical Grammar - also excellent - for 4th or 5th grade.

Heather

I would say S&S is quite a bit harder than Preparing, and remind you that it is quite SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY oriented. You really don't need any more science than S&S has to offer. You might want to supplement history or use history themed readers.

Thanks that helps. I was considering supplementing the S&S with Preparing history... but I should probably keep it simple. DD is excited about S&S and has wanted it since first seeing it in the catalog so that makes it harder to wait.

Can you clarify this for me? is this what LA looks like in HOD? Which guide - Bigger, Preparing? Is this what you are doing with Sea and Sky?

Heather

No, I was just advising OP based on her statement that she needs a lighter LA schedule. It is based on HER current schedule and has nothing to do with HOD or S&S. I felt sorry for OP and her kids trying to accomplish all that every day! I didn't mean to be confusing, which is why I quoted the other poster in my message.