Menu

Asking boys to read "girl" books?

I'm looking at Ambleside Online's Pre-Year 7 list of what they consider "essential" reading. On the list they have Little Women and Anne of Green Gables. Both of these books/series are wonderful. Some of the best books ever. I'm just wondering about requiring DS to read them. Has anybody had a son balk at reading these books? I know they are good literature and should be seen as beyond being "girl" books, but still...

Has this been a problem, and what did you do about it?

I personally don't consider those must reads for my boys. They've seen the movies, but I wouldn't require them to read them. Is it part of the actual curriculum (are they teaching something from those books)? If not, I would not have my guys read them.

Cindy

Well, on the one hand, our girls have to read plenty of "boy" books, kwim? If we only read books about girls, we would really limit our reading. I find value in mixing it up, especially if boys start to get the message that girls are not as valuable as boys, so why read about them? If boys refuse to read books having to do with girls, how will they ever learn how to hear and understand a woman's heart? How does that show that they value women? Just a few thoughts that immediately come to mind.

OTOH, you could also substitute similar literature. For example "Eight Cousins" and "Little Britches" for those two.

Just my $0.02,

I agree with everything Tami said. I have 2 boys (14 & 11), and they have read or listened to all MY old favorites, including Little Women, just because I wanted so much to relive/share my memories of reading them! But I do think it's a valuable lesson to read from outside your own point of view. While I tended to customize the reading requirements when the boys were just learning to read and high interest made things less painful, by 7th grade I think it's time to see the value in "stretching" outside our comfort zone to read books we think we won't like.

I also agree that Alcott's Eight Cousins would be a nice substitute for Little Women. The main character is a girl, but the story revolves around her relationship with her 8 male cousins. My ds read it for a book group in 8th grade and really enjoyed it. (Granted, he's one who will read any and everything.)

Another thought -- with my younger son, I often tell him he has to read the first 3 chapters before he can complain about a book I've assigned. He has yet to hand one back to me.

JMO!

Maura

Maura

Some of my sons favorite books have girls as the main character. He's 8.

He loved Anne of Green Gables so much when I read it out loud, that he spent part of the Christmas money on getting the rest of the set. He wanted to know what happened to Anne and Gilbert, and he wanted to see if Mirilla would be o.k. with out Matthew.

Some of his other favorites have been, The Secret Garden, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and the Little Princess.

He has never balked at reading "Girl" books, as I have never defined them as such. They are just stories that happen to have a girl as the main character.

. . . rather than about the gender of the protagonist.

So, this year, my son has read and enjoyed Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Angel on the Square, Alice Rose and Sam, Meiko and the Fifth Treasure, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting right now, all of which have female leads and are fairly "girly." We're also gearing up for a road trip next week, and I checked out The Secret Garden on tape to listen to in the car.

These are all books that I think have something to say to him.

On the other hand, I haven't bothered trying to introduce Anne of Green Gables or Little Women or Pride and Prejudice, because I just don't think the stories will be up his alley. (Heck, even my daughter didn't like Little Women, much to my distress.)

I try to decide on a case-by-case basis.

Was going to say what Tami said. For ex/ my dd11 has to read Tom Sawyer for LL7 and that would be under my def. of a "boys" book. She's also read and enjoyed plenty of other books w/ boys as main characters. My ds10 will have to read Meet Addy (An American Girl book) for LLATL this year. I ran into another mom whose son read this and really enjoyed it so I'm gonna make him read it...as well as Caddie Woodlawn. He's not quite to the level of Anne of Green Gables yet. I'm not so sure I'll *make* him read that or not.

Little Britches (6th grade), Little Women (7th grade), and Anne of Green Gables (7th/8th grade) are all required literature reading in this homeschool. My goal is to expose our boys to good books regardless of the gender of the protagonist(s).

My older boys didn't like the idea of reading Alice in Wonderland and Heidi this year, but afterwards, they were happy they did. Really, if it was up to them, they would only read Lego magazines and comics.

I was an avid reader as a child, but I had no direction. I wish someone would have guided me to the good books. I am frantically trying to catch up as an adult, but it's not an easy task. Therefore, I've identified the books from this list (http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html) that I want my boys to read before they leave home. Some of them are "girl" books and some are "boy" books, but they all have literary value in my opinion.

I agree with Tami, but I must add that I only have girls! However, I think it is important to be well-read in a variety of genres. I also love the idea of boys gleaning from a woman's perspective.

An interesting note that ties in with this topic. My rising 7th grader just received her summer reading assignment from her classical co-op. One of the choices was "My Antonia", and the essay topic was to explain how the woman author could write so convincingly from a man's perspective in the main character of Jim. My oldest has to read Huck Finn next year and I know she's going to balk. Well...it's the assignment!

Well, on the one hand, our girls have to read plenty of "boy" books, kwim? If we only read books about girls, we would really limit our reading. I find value in mixing it up, especially if boys start to get the message that girls are not as valuable as boys, so why read about them? If boys refuse to read books having to do with girls, how will they ever learn how to hear and understand a woman's heart? How does that show that they value women? Just a few thoughts that immediately come to mind.

OTOH, you could also substitute similar literature. For example "Eight Cousins" and "Little Britches" for those two.

Just my $0.02,

:iagree:

This has been an issue with dd12. SL has lots of "boy" bks, and she has grown very tired of reading them. Recently, I have compromised by telling her that if she reads the ones I think will add value to her understanding, I will search for others in the same vain with female protagonists. Kids need to learn about the feelings and experiences of both sexes.

:iagree:

This has been an issue with dd12. SL has lots of "boy" bks, and she has grown very tired of reading them. Recently, I have compromised by telling her that if she reads the ones I think will add value to her understanding, I will search for others in the same vain with female protagonists. Kids need to learn about the feelings and experiences of both sexes.

Exactly! They need to learn about the feelings and the experience of both sexes. We have lots of interesting discussions sparked by some of Laura's inner commentary in Little House, about what was considered appropriate and proper for girls at the time, and why Laura couldn't necessarily play ball with the boys just because she wanted to ;-)

Besides, good literature is good literature, no matter the gender of the protagonist or the author.

My boys absolutely *loved* A Little Princess, and the Little House books. I certainly intend to assign them Pride and Prejudice when the time comes. No hesitation.

Same here, although there was balking before hand. Pride and Prejudice is coming up next year for ds14.

Just my $0.02,

I agree. I've found that girls are expected to read far more "boy" books than the other way around. In fact in our public schools allow boys to choose an alternative for 'girl' books but not the other way around. So coming from that perspective - I'd make him read it.

Heather

You all make very good points. I'm going to assign them, but make sure I mix them up with plenty of "boy" books, too. I don't think I've ever made a point about "girl" books and "boy" books to the kids, which should help. (The title "Little Women" may be a bit much for him, but we'll get through it. :lol:)

I love seeing however everyone deals with these situations. Thanks again.

Actually as I'm looking over the list of books for the TRISM History Makers there are quite a few that would fall into the "girl" category that my boys will be reading or listening to. I suppose it really has more to do with the content of the book than whether or not it is a boy or girl book. Maybe for me it's more a matter of whether it's a "girlie" book or not. Does that make any sense?

Cindy

According to some research on the difference between the way boys and girls brains develop, the physical link between the parts of the brain responsible for talking and the part responsible for handling emotion take longer to develop, or are underdeveloped in boys. It seems, therefore, that boy books are considered such because they have more action and less emotion. However, what we need to do, to help boys develop the ability to discuss emotion, is have them read more girl books that utilize language in handling of emotion.

However, what we need to do, to help boys develop the ability to discuss emotion, is have them read more girl books that utilize language in handling of emotion.
There's also the question of POV. If I had boys, I'd be hesitant to avoid female points of view just because many of the classic books are considered "girl books."

My 13 year old brother certainly likes Anne of Green Gables. He has not read the book yet, but I don't think he would have any objections to doing so. He has seen the movie and listened to the radio theatre versions of Anne of Green Gables many times and enjoys them.

Well, you know, that's an interesting question. I decided I'd give them a try and both my boys really liked them. My older son went on to read Jo's boys and some others of that series. Both enjoyed the Little House books, too. This school year, a lot of the suggested lit books had women heroines and I decided just to see how it went. My younger son has really enjoyed all of them! So much of what we read in history really features men, so this has helped to balance all that out, I think.

At Caddie Woodlawn, and ended up really liking it. They also balked at "Witch of Blackbird Pond" and really did dislike it. So I think for them, it's not so much that a girl is the main character. They don't want to read books where the plot revolves around who has a crush on whom, and who gets married or not.

They would rather read more "adventure" type books, and I think a book about and adventuresome girl is okay. Which suits me.

My sons definitely enjoyed it. I opted out of reading Little Women. However isn't there a follow up book called Jo's Boys? I could be wrong.

I try to stay away from too many girl books too. I try to balance the books that they read. I read the following "boy" books that were recommended by Ambleside Online:

1. Swiss Family Robinson

2. Pinocchio

3. The Jungle Book

4. Bambi- about a boy deer and graphic too

Hope that is helpful. Maybe you have read them already.

Blessing in your homeschool journey!

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I don't think I saw anyone mention Little Men by Alcott. I agree that Little Women should be read, but you could start off with Little Men. My ds, 12, read it this year and enjoyed it.

We also did Anne of Green Gables as a read aloud and ds was right there listening. There is so much in Anne that appeals to all ages, all genders! :)

• 11 months later...

My younger ds (14yo) probably reads more books with girls as main characters than boys, but I still wouldn't give him Anne of Green Gables or Little Women. It's not just that the main characters are girls, but the whole atmosphere of the book is just too girly. I don't think he would like them and I don't see any good reason to force them on him. Don't get me wrong, I do require him to read some things he doesn't like, but those just don't seem necessary to his education to me.

When ds FLOORED me by balking all the way through the Courage of Sarah Noble, I decided to let him read my read-aloud for a reader while I read his reader for a read-aloud (it's nice he's a good enough reader for this to work). He didn't complain about Phoebe the Spy though. I'm presenting the books as if there is no choice in the matter, but the fact is I will do the "switcheroo" mentioned above whenever needed.

My eldest and I read Pride & Prejudice by Austen in 10th grade, and I caught him reading Emma soon after. While hs'ing Taz read tons of fantasy & sci-fi with females as lead characters. My youngest loves the Secret Garden and A Little Princess. Blaze lost both of his biological parents beforeage 9, and the two mentioned books helped him through a sorrowful time in his young life.

I'm looking at Ambleside Online's Pre-Year 7 list of what they consider "essential" reading. On the list they have Little Women and Anne of Green Gables. Both of these books/series are wonderful. Some of the best books ever. I'm just wondering about requiring DS to read them. Has anybody had a son balk at reading these books? I know they are good literature and should be seen as beyond being "girl" books, but still...

Has this been a problem, and what did you do about it?

For both my boys, that was (is) 5th grade extending into 6th grade. During that very hormonally charged period, I was (am) much more picky about what they read (2 years ago the unabridged Sir Gawain & the Green Knight was nixed by me).

And, they are more "ooh, gross, that's all about romance - what a yucky book!" during that time as well. (That was my 5th grader's thesis of Anne of Green Gables - he read an abridged version this year.) But, romance is more the "yuck" factor - just having a girl as the main character isn't. (They loved Tom Sawyer, but could not understand his fascination for Becky - LOL!)

We did Little Women before my younger one's hormones hit this year, and we read it together (out loud, but everyone followed along in a book). They liked it fairly well because the majority of the book isn't about romance, and it was a neat review of Pilgrim's Progress, which they both liked.

Once their hormones have mellowed a bit - and they're more used to handling those new feelings - then, everything relaxes. (Or, at least it has for my older ds.) He won't ever re-read Anne of Green Gables or The Importance of Being Earnest, but he did read them, understand them, and write a good narration on both of them.

Really, we just do the best we can, and then move on!

I have a boy and girl close in age, and so far, what one has done the other has done as well - and certainly if we're doing the book as a read-aloud. What makes a good book is less about the gender of its protagonist, in my opinion, and more about its insights into human nature, the quality of the writing, and its illumination of a certain time period (in the case of historical fiction).

So I definitely don't limit my son to "boys' books". Both of my children LOVED Anne of Green Gables when we did it as a read-aloud. They also both loved Tom Sawyer. I can't imagine having my son miss Anne any more than I can imagine having my daughter miss Tom. It would feel like I was cheating them somehow!

When I pick books for their silent reading, I do sometimes let the gender of the protagonist influence my decision, but mostly they're reading the same thing. In their free time, they can pretty much read anything they want to, and my DD tends toward more traditionally "girl" books - the Little House series, for example - while my son is more likely to read fantasy.

Best,

SBP