Menu

Curious. If you don't post your childrens names in your siggy, can you tell me why?

Copswife

Regina, that stinks about your photo of your kids! that is one of my fears- tho not enough of a fear to keep me from posting photos, I love photography, I guess it would be more on a dread level. Do you watermark your photos? that might make someone not want your photo if the name of your blog is written right across it. I use photoshop elements to add a watermark, but you can also do it on picassa- which is free. I do a watermark that is see-through and then my blog name on the bottom. you can also rename your photo w/your blogname which could help, too.

Want to really freak out? I am a member of an active national triplet moms forum - thousands of members. Every now and then, a newbie will post something along the lines of "I'm 26 weeks along and already measuring full-term. Exactly how much bigger am I going to get?" And then some other well-meaning newbies will post pictures of their pregnant bellies.

A while back, we discovered that a bunch of those hugely pregnant triplet belly pictures had been stolen by a group of men who found it erotic. I won't even go into the details because they are too disgusting to be believed, but let's just say I am VERY hesitant about EVER posting pictures of anything publicly after that!

I use 'Bug' because that is what we call him IRL. And his name is long enough that Bug is definitely easier. After I started posting this way, I realized it worked out well for privacy.

Of course, I use my real name and my hubby's real name in my signature, so it's not like it really saves a lot of privacy, I guess. LOL Really it's because Bug is easier.

Edited by djbartch
Added Info

I'm a celebrity married to a famous actor/singer/politician so I'm trying to fly under the radar. Shhhh, don't tell. Must.keep.incognito.:D And that's not my real first name or occupation...and I don't live in Texas...pretty good, huh? (I found that photo surfing facebook...it's not really me, either...)

Also, back in the day before Internet (which some of you whippersnappers don't even remember :lol:) many support groups didn't publish children's names in their directories/telephone lists. Gender, date of birth, maybe, but not names. I thought that was a little paranoid, myself, but there it is: some people just want privacy.

As an aside, I once acquired an IRS # for my support group in the group's name, so that I could open a checking acount for the group, so I could write checks using the group's money and not my own, KWIM? Anyway, our group was not incorporated or anything; I just had a taxpayer identification #. One of the members refused to have her name published in our directory, because she was sure that somehow the government would be able to find out about her and that she was homeschooling, just because of that number. :001_huh:

And there was a support group in town that wouldn't print a phone list at all, because what if someone had the phone list on the dash of her car, and the window was open, and the list blew out of it, and somehow it would fall into the hands of some evil government authority type who would figure out that all the names on it were homeschoolers, and arrest them all. Or something. I am not making this up. Really.:001_huh:

Privacy.

I don't want everyone I know irl to read what I write here. There isn't enough bean dip in the world for that.;) There are a few people here who know who I am though.

Someday, I may run for president and I don't want these posts to come back to haunt me.

Someday, my kids might come across these posts, and I want them to feel I respected their privacy.

First of all, privacy. Second, DS has an unusual name and combined with our last name, he is the only one in the USA with that name. Third, DH is a public high school teacher in a county that just loves to get into your personal business. The county (and his students) would have a good old time if they got access to this forum and I don't mean good old time in GOOD connotation.

I'm a celebrity married to a famous actor/singer/politician so I'm trying to fly under the radar. Shhhh, don't tell. Must.keep.incognito.:D And that's not my real first name or occupation...and I don't live in Texas...pretty good, huh? (I found that photo surfing facebook...it's not really me, either...)

:lol:

Thank you all for the scare :tongue_smilie:. I don't worry about posting my kids names. I am the same person in real life as I am on here and I only post in the curriculum K-8 forum. I don't share what I do in my personal life, especially as it relates to my kids. I do share certain things that are not important to me but like stripe said, when my kids go to bed or take showers or whatever, is our business. This is why I don't care if someone that knows me IRL figures out that it is me. I am 4evercanucks wherever I go. My name is Marie and my husband's and kids' names are what you see in my signature. However, and this is where the scare came in, I don't want to see my kids' pics paraded all over the internet. For this reason our blog is now private. It has very few posts since I don't fancy myself a writer but many pics of my boys.

Thank you all for sharing your perspective. I can appreciate where everyone is coming from and have my own opinion too ;).

Edited by Guest

It's a public board that anyone can read, registered or not. I'd rather not have all my family's info out there in public. As the pp said it's not so much a concern about predators but more about nosy IRL people.

This, yeah googling and seeing thing out there for anyone was not a warm fuzzy

I'd be better off posting last names than first :) My kids' first names are relatively unusual, especially taken in combination, while our last name is common.

So basically, I don't post their names because I don't want to be instantly identifiable if someone who knows me happened to read this, or googleable if someone happened to google the combo of their names (I tried this once, and discovered that an acquaintance had used their names for characters in a NaNoWriMo novel. That was... interesting).

(Actually, saying DH is a knifemaker, I live in NV, and the kid's basic ages is quite enough to make me identifiable to people who know me, I suppose. But it's still less googleable.)

Edited by ocelotmom

It's a public board that anyone can read, registered or not. I'd rather not have all my family's info out there in public. As the pp said it's not so much a concern about predators but more about nosy IRL people.

...Even without names an astute person who knows me well will probably be able to put me here together with me IRL, but I figure leaving out the names makes it a little less obvious.

Privacy. I don't post my dh's name, either.

These posts sum it up for me. My kids have fairly uncommon names, and putting them altogether on a public website would make it very easy to find me.

• 2 weeks later...
Regina, that stinks about your photo of your kids! that is one of my fears- tho not enough of a fear to keep me from posting photos, I love photography, I guess it would be more on a dread level. Do you watermark your photos? that might make someone not want your photo if the name of your blog is written right across it. I use photoshop elements to add a watermark, but you can also do it on picassa- which is free. I do a watermark that is see-through and then my blog name on the bottom. you can also rename your photo w/your blogname which could help, too.

After this thread I made our blog private since I have many pics of my boys in it. I was not happy with that though, so I started deleting posts with pics or pics in posts with close-ups so that I can open up access again. It just felt like such a shame to have to do that :(! Then I remembered your post and since I already have Photoshop Elements, I decided to try it out. I think I am going to use your idea. I checked out your blog and worked on one of my boys' pictures and it seems to work well. I am not going to watermark though. I will just put the writing across the middle just like you did but with a lighter color. Thank you so much for sharing this :).

I post ages because they may be relevant to whatever topic is under discussion. The names of my kids are not going to be relevant.

This, and because it takes up less room in a signature line haha. I DO, however, mention my kids by first name from time to time in the discussion part of posts, and in my blog, so it really isn't a privacy issue for me, I don't tend to worry about sharing my kids' first names.

Marie,

glad you found something to work! I love blogging, and I can't imagine doing it without photos, photos tell such a story. :001_smile:

Thank you Jen :). I need to work on my writing skills (I will be learning along with my boys ;)) so most of my posts in our blog were filled with pics. I love taking pics of my boys and I love sharing them. It's the fear of someone using them that scares me. Now to find the time to work on them and then reload them :tongue_smilie:!