Menu

Anyone have a decent housing market???

My brother called and is going through some really, really tough times. He works in the construction field and the housing market is really bad around here. He's looking for areas with new developments and such going up that maybe need some workers...he can do anything except advanced electrical and plumbing...has just about enough money left to buy a bus or train ticket somewhere.

If anyone knows of somework, I know he'd appreciate it!

My brother called and is going through some really, really tough times. He works in the construction field and the housing market is really bad around here. He's looking for areas with new developments and such going up that maybe need some workers...he can do anything except advanced electrical and plumbing...has just about enough money left to buy a bus or train ticket somewhere.

If anyone knows of somework, I know he'd appreciate it!

Lots of work in Calgary still!

Not that many people really want to live here, but construction has increased a lot here. Mainly due to the amount of people coming here for the oil and gas rig jobs. The larger cities here are just growing at a steady pace. Houses, apartments, stores, hospitals, you name it, it is going up.

This is a long shot and I don't have any specific contacts, but the market in Tri-Cities in eastern Washington has stayed fairly steady. Our newspapers comment on it now and then. Perhaps can he search online for builders in Pasco, Kennewick, and Richland? I bet builders here would be very willing to hire someone who speaks English (seriously, many workers speak Spanish only, and the business owner has to rely on a foreman who can speak both English and Spanish).

I know it's far away from FL, but we have a good strong market and a short, mild winter.

They are still building up here in NW Lake County. The Villages area to be exact. Things are slowing, but the retired people on fixed incomes still have that income.

Not sure how much they are hiring though, iknow that outside of construction almost every place is "Now Hiring" they need reliable bodies to show up. It's a hard area to find people that want to work.

Best of luck to him where he ends up.

Hampton Roads area of VA seems to be doing ok. In our area there are tons of new houses, shopping and medical buildings being built. Prices have fallen here a little for housing but not much and some not at all and of course some have increased values! So seems good here.

My family is near Charlotte NC and they don't seem to be hit much either.

I live in northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville, Rogers, Bella Vista area).

It has been big news here lately that our area has been said to be is recession-proof. I am not sure exactly about the housing market, but it seems that things are still being built.

My dh is in construction. If you look at my location, I can tell you where to NOT go for job stability.

Hmmm, the southeastern part of La is a booming area though. We see signs everywhere seeking construction workers. I thought the I-10 corridor was in good shape throughout the state due to rebuilding efforts. Hopefully it will pick up where you are.

He'd likely be a sought-after commodity around here. :)

I just recently moved away from SW Wyoming, and there are more jobs than people right now. It is so bad that some of the fast food places there can't even have the lobby open because they only have enough staff to have the drive thru operating! These places are seriously paying teenagers $10 an hour just to flip burgers. The downfall of the lack of housing though is that it is pretty expensive to live there right now.

My husband has been building for the same company for 17 years and just got indefinitely laid off. The building buisiness is not good here in this part of Michigan. Hopefully things pick up soon.

You just described my dh. He worked for the same residential plumbing co for 17 years in Mich and just got laid off. BUT, he was able to find work in commercial plumbing for a company near us that has tons of work.

Thanks so much!!!! I'll pass this info along to him. He had to turn off his internet and cell phone, so I can't pass on links. He's sold all his 'luxury' items (music recording 'stuff' and surfboards) to pay rent for him and his girlfriend and her 3 kiddos, then found out the landlord is getting foreclosed on and basically pocketing their rent money. I think he's just under a massive black cloud right now...poor guy... :( He'd like to stay close to FL, so maybe the NC/VA markets and the Villages would be a good bet for him.

I just recently moved away from SW Wyoming, and there are more jobs than people right now. It is so bad that some of the fast food places there can't even have the lobby open because they only have enough staff to have the drive thru operating! These places are seriously paying teenagers $10 an hour just to flip burgers. The downfall of the lack of housing though is that it is pretty expensive to live there right now.

I live in southwest, wyoming!

Here is a link to a CNN article about the 10 fastest-growing real estate markets in the country.

Hmmm.... Just realized that may not be an indicator of new construction. Still, I suppose it's a starting point.