Menu

I just cleaned my front loader - I feel disgusting!

If you are ready for something to do and are a bit bored, try this.

Clean out the tray of your front loader that holds your fabric softener and detergent. Be sure to get on your hands and knees and look at the top of the compartment. You could even get a Qtip and scrape the small ridges at the back.

Also, if you're really daring, look behind the ring at the front, not just inside it. I mean way back deep behind it, where it joins the machine.

No wonder I wash and wash these towels and they smell worse than if my 16 yo. used them after working out and rolled them up and threw them under his bed.

That is the nastiest experience I have had yet as a mom/housekeeper. The stuff that came out of that machine looks like what I imagine the inside of my garbage disposal to look like.

Ewww.

Off to Best Buy. That thing has got to go!

(rant over)

EEEEWWWW! Ours gets mildewy smelling :( And I can't keep it open, because the whole downstairs of our 990ft townhouse is open, and my 2yo loves sticking his head in there. When it gets bad, my dear, wonderful husband runs it empty with bleach a bunch of times. (I can NOT stand the smell of bleach. It makes me sick.) Of the 3 years we've lived here, I think he's only gone to where you went once. I'll see if he's willing to do it again this weekend.

I throw in old towels and run it on cold wash putting in lots of bleach.

I had my machine serviced about 6 months ago. I was having trouble with it and I still had the warranty. As the guy was working on it he asked if I knew I could clean it. :glare: Then he showed me how nasty it was.

I do wipe the inner rim out, but running the machine with bleach does help.

We had ours for almost 2 years. It never stunk. It did have a clean cycle we used once a month (run it with no clothes and a cup of bleach). I also pulled the soap dispenser out and washed it in the dishwasher once a month. I think this helped. I did not look behind the gasket in the door though...maybe I am glad I didn't.

( I miss my front loader)

Momee,

Why off to Best Buy?? It is nice and sparkling clean now!! :D

I know. I've done that quite a few times, too. It makes me want to throw up everytime I do it, although it seems to help with the smell. That and running a load with bleach in it at least once a week (rags, whites, etc).

Momee,

Why off to Best Buy?? It is nice and sparkling clean now!! :D

I know. I've done that quite a few times, too. It makes me want to throw up everytime I do it, although it seems to help with the smell. That and running a load with bleach in it at least once a week (rags, whites, etc).

I completely see where she's coming from. If you can find that much just cleaning the tray and behind the gasket, just imagine what is hiding in between those inner and outer drums that you can't see.

After battling with mine for 5 years I was so glad when it died (I'd had repairmen out to clean between the drums and it was gross, even though I'd done cleaning cycles with bleach and that Afresh stuff you can buy)

I love my HE top loader, I've had it over a year and out of curiosity I pulled the top off to check for crud build up and it was squeaky clean, with no cleaning cycle ever run on it.

Front loaders do have a lot of nooks where residue can build up. Luckily, I haven't had any problems (yet) but I don't use softener. I wonder if it contributes to the residue building up? I also use vinegar in the rinse occasionnally, I think it helps rinse off the tray. There is a cleaner called "Affresh". I just popped one in on the "clean machine" cycle.:001_smile: It has worked well in the past.

HTH,

Isabelle

We've been battling our front loader too. The first three years or so, there was no smell at all. Now it's horrible. We did the disgusting washing of the ring - yuck - and the dispenser area - and have even done two loads of Afresh. It's definitely better, but the moldy smell is still in the machine. :tongue_smilie: We're discontinuing the fabric softener and will replace that with vinegar as I can imagine that might help. We do a mild bleach wash here and there. Any other suggestions? I know someone here pulled their entire machine apart to clean, but we're trying to avoid having to do that.

You know, thinking about this, we used to use regular (not HE) Tide powder, only using less, and had no smells. We switched to Tide HE liquid and noticed our clothes started to come out much cleaner looking. But I'm thinking it was shortly after this that our smell started happening. :001_huh: I'm wondering if we'd do better with powder Tide HE.

If you are ready for something to do and are a bit bored, try this.

Clean out the tray of your front loader that holds your fabric softener and detergent. Be sure to get on your hands and knees and look at the top of the compartment. You could even get a Qtip and scrape the small ridges at the back.

Also, if you're really daring, look behind the ring at the front, not just inside it. I mean way back deep behind it, where it joins the machine.

No wonder I wash and wash these towels and they smell worse than if my 16 yo. used them after working out and rolled them up and threw them under his bed.

That is the nastiest experience I have had yet as a mom/housekeeper. The stuff that came out of that machine looks like what I imagine the inside of my garbage disposal to look like.

Ewww.

Off to Best Buy. That thing has got to go!

(rant over)

Wait until you see the drain hose when you remove the darn thing! It looks like the clogged artery of one of those smoker commercial. :tongue_smilie: blah!

I've had a front-loader since July 2006 and have never had a problem with smells or lurking ookies. I do keep the little detergent drawer pulled open and the door ajar. I also wash the detergent drawer once or twice a year.

I use Tide HE liquid, no fabric softener, and bleach only infrequently (the smell also bothers me).

I guess maybe I need to clean mine:ack2: I have never had a smell problem and we have had ours for 4 years. I do keep our door always open and I use Tide He and I use a natural detergent for cloth diapers. I use bleach often too. My drawer comes all the way out and I have cleaned that. But I guess I should take it to the next level :glare:

I love my HE top loader, I've had it over a year and out of curiosity I pulled the top off to check for crud build up and it was squeaky clean, with no cleaning cycle ever run on it.

Tell me about this please. :bigear: I have been looking at the LG HE top loader for our new house.

I completely see where she's coming from. If you can find that much just cleaning the tray and behind the gasket, just imagine what is hiding in between those inner and outer drums that you can't see.

After battling with mine for 5 years I was so glad when it died (I'd had repairmen out to clean between the drums and it was gross, even though I'd done cleaning cycles with bleach and that Afresh stuff you can buy)

I was just joking with her! ;) I totally understand where she's coming from, too. I also harbor a secret wish for mine to die so I can get a top loader again...

I am also curious about your HE top loader!

Thought I'd follow up ladies - got the new LG HE top loader. My towels still smelled after washing twice, but now they're all fresh after the third! wash. The towels really were the worst smelling. Well, those and heavy black clothes, sweatshirts, fleece jacket, etc. For some reason those things were harder to clean.

I think all that mold was due to using liquid detergent and the fabric softener. Whatever - I wanted it gone:D

I'm really hoping to never have this problem again.

And btw - the Best Buy salesman tried to convince me that the new front loaders don't have the same problems with mold as the earlier makes do.

Whatever :) I was not convinced and went with the top loader HE.

Sorry if I caused angst for some of you but hey, that stuff is nasty!

I hear you! I think this problem depends on brand. I do know there is a class action lawsuit against Whirlpool b/c of this very issue with their Duet machine.

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/cases.php?CaseID=126

I will never, ever buy a Whirlpool Duet again. I couldn't get the smell out of my towels now matter how much I cleaned/bleached that thing. Now we have a run-of-the-mill top loader. Can't fit as much in but my stuff is CLEAN!!!

I was just joking with her! ;) I totally understand where she's coming from, too. I also harbor a secret wish for mine to die so I can get a top loader again...

I am also curious about your HE top loader!

Since I missed it and a few have asked about my HE Top loader. Here's the info.

I have a Fisher Paykel Ecosmart. I love it. It's direct drive so there is no transmission to ever break on it. It has a very interesting washing action so it uses less water on average loads, but can use good old top loader amounts on things that need it by changing the load type you select. I've found that it spins clothes just as dry as my old top loader and I can even fit a queen size quilt in it with no problems. It does have an agitator, but that actually can be unscrewed for occasional cleaning, I've taken it off but never had issues with it being dirty underneath. I don't use Fabric Softener in it because they talk about how it can build "scrud" in the washers, but tell you how to clean the machine routinely if you choose to use it.

I also have a Top loading FIsher Paykel dryer. It is one neat piece of machinery. I love that I don't have to stoop down to get the clothes in or out of it, and it's cavernous compared to any other dryer I've had. It also switches rotation direction multiple times while in the cycle so things like sheets don't end up in a twisted wad. One real perk is the Lint Bucket. The machine scrapes it's own lint screen at the end of every load and deposits it in the lint bucket which I only have to empty every 7-10 loads.

Here's a link to their website.