Menu

Can we talk about the AWANA program? obviously CC

Hi! My non-denominational church is amazing!! I know you all have heard me brag on it before. I have never been in such an amazing house of worship. Our entire family loves it there. That said, they started an AWANA program a year and a half ago, and I am not that impressed. I had high hopes, but I'm just not loving it. My husband and I teach and all of our girls attend. I love that they are learning scripture, but there are many things I don't love. I don't want to share a whole lot yet because I really want to hear your opinions/thoughts.

I would really like to keep this civil, and I'm convinced that if we refrain from discussing meatloaf, we can do it. ;)

Here is my take on Awana...

Each church has their own "take" on how to implement the program.

Our church uses the basic outline, while making the program interactive/relational amongst the members through teaching time, games, worship (music) and small group time. The group at my in-laws church used a more rigid format, focusing on fundamental Biblical principles and Scripture memorization.

It will be interesting to see what others post.

By the way I looked at your photography website.

Love your portfolio! :)

Here is my take on Awana...

Each church has their own "take" on how to implement the program.

Our church uses the basic outline, while making the program interactive/relational amongst the members through teaching time, games, worship (music) and small group time. The group at my in-laws church used a more rigid format, focusing on fundamental Biblical principles and Scripture memorization.

It will be interesting to see what others post.

By the way I looked at your photography website.

Love your portfolio! :)

Thank you! I am not familiar with AWANA, in general, because I've never been to a church that offers it.

And thank you for you compliment on my photos. :D

Meatloaf? :confused:

Also, our girls are in AWANA, and dw volunteers for it as well. My dw did it herself as a girl. I think the idea is good, and Scripture memorization is important. I haven't really had any negative experiences with it.

The meatloaf comment comes from another thread. Just a little funny.

Thanks for sharing.

Our church just started in January and the boys love it. I was a little taken aback with the Cubbie start zone, but it turned out to have bothered me way more than it did Luke. Since then... some of the stuff is tough, but it's the truth and I've come to terms with it.

:lol:

In other words, the boys reaction :party:

my reaction :huh: :001_unsure: :001_smile: :party:

Meatloaf? :confused:

Also, our girls are in AWANA, and dw volunteers for it as well. My dw did it herself as a girl. I think the idea is good, and Scripture memorization is important. I haven't really had any negative experiences with it.

We had a very good experience with it when we were in CT. Now that we are in NJ, I'd love to find a nearby church that has an AWANA program. I love the emphasis on Scripture memorization.

I have been involved in AWANA for years! In just a few weeks my third child will receive her Citation award -- that is the highest award AWANA gives.

Besides the children being in the program, my husband and I have been involved as either leader or helper in every club from Cubbies to thigh school Journey. We have seen the clubs go through many changes. Not a single level is using the material from the time we first started. Currently, my husband is the commander at our church's

program. We love the program.

What are your concerns?

Linda

Some of the AWANA programs I have been involved with have not been as good at the gym competitions and making sure that all the kids get to shine. When they give out candy or something to the winning "team" and the same team wins week after week, it can lead to some hard feelings among the user.

At our current church, gym time is not given that much precedence. They use it to give kids time to run around and get steam off -- and in my son's Cubbies gym time seem especially good at making sure the kids don't get over frustrated (My son is the youngest in the class at barely turned 3 when class started and the oldest turned 5 shortly after it started. This is HUGE in athletic ability -- so running around my son is ALWAYS last. But the gym teacher does more than just running around things and sometimes picks him up and runs with him so he can come in first -- he loves that -- there's a good balance.)

I know some AWANAs give AWANA bucks for every section learned -- and kids that got more help at home would fly away and when AWANA shop time comes some kids ended up with nothing they could buy/etc... So there are definite problems in individual clubs. But I'm still very enthusiastic about AWANAs in general and I love having my kid in it!

1. Old church: 1st AWANA experience. Awesome.

2. Old church canceled AWANA & we moved. Visited a church that advertised a HUGE playscape. Whatever--I'm glad they like kids, lol. But then we get there & take ds's class to another room to *scream* for fun instead of to the playscape. They tell him he *can't* play on it *ever* unless he brings a friend on the right Wednesday. (the one coming up)

He says, "We just moved. I don't know anybody." They say--bring a cousin. (He doesn't have any.) So they tell him he'll have to sit in a room by himself while the other kids play. :confused:

Ds was in tears because he was lonely, had no friends (except the ones who'd moved out of state, etc), & had just had it rubbed in his face, & was ultimately being punished for that. :glare:

We didn't go back there.

3. The church we're at (for AWANA) now...is ok. But last week, they told dd that since she hadn't brought any friends, she could fulfill that requirement by passing out 5 tracts. (Old church simply skipped the bring-a-friend requirement.)

I'm not a fan of tracts in the first place, but let's say for argument's sake I'm ok w/ them.

I'm also very uncomfortable w/ children evangelizing ea other. I mean, if it happens on its own, that's fine, but *forcing* kids to tell other kids about the Bible, AWANA, the Gospel, etc...can just turn out so badly, kwim?

But let's say I'm not worried about that, either. Let's say I think tracts between kids or anybody else is just great.

*These* tracts that she was given to hand out...MISQUOTE SCRIPTURE. Badly. So badly that I read it aloud to dc & asked, "Does the Bible really say that?" They shook their heads, told me the accurate theology of sin, & I had them look up the verse cited--ISAIAH. There are so many NT verses one could cite--why oh why cite Is in the first place?

Anyway, they looked it up, & it essentially said the opposite of the kiddie version in the tract (which said that God turns away from us when we sin--& yeah, I get what they meant to say, but they literally said the above--if you're going to tell a KID, especially, I don't see saying the God who sent his Son to die for us *turned away* from us, kwim? from the sin, sure. from US?)

Dh is going to return the tracts to dd's teacher & talk to her tomorrow, but gosh I hate this aspect of AWANA.

Okay, let me share a bit. There are four clubs in out church: Puggles, Cubbies, Sparks and T&T. They are adding Trek next year, which is for middle school. I work in T&T, and my husband works in games. We have a child in Cubbies, one in Sparks, and one in T&T. Each of our daughters will move up to the next club next year. We meet for two hours on Wednesday evenings. The first 15 minutes is devoted to paperwork and check-in. Next comes handbook time where the individual teachers work with their group and "fellowship". Next comes game time, which is 30 minutes, and then the kids come back to their class for group time. Group time consists of one of the teachers doing a lesson for the group. There are memory coaches who pull the kids out during different times in the evening for the kids to get checked off on their memory work. At the end of the night, everyone goes to closing where awards and announcements are given.

I am very surprised to read that some of your AWANA meetings have worship time. We don't have that. That sounds nice. I know our group is very very new, and things are changing constantly as kinks are worked out. My number one concern is the overabundant awarding of AWANA bucks. It seems that the kids are very focused on AWANA bucks. They get them for turning in "homework" sheets which are really just mini bible studies. They get them for memorizing scripture. They get them for winning at game time. They get them for wearing their uniform and bringing dues. The list goes on. About four times a year, the kids get to go to the AWANA store and spend their bucks. It's the highlight of the year. I just really feel like the focus has shifted to an award system that is just way too much. I don't believe it is really teaching them to want to be in the Word when they are doing it to get a buck. I honestly wish they would do away with the AWANA bucks.

Another big concern I had about the teaching in T&T has been resolved. The message week after week was about our need for salvation and how to ask Jesus in your heart. Of course that is number one!! BUT, every one of the kids in our class has already accepted Jesus. So now we switched to a different teaching manual, and it is more about how to bless others and also answers many of the hard questions the kids that age ask. I love that!

Edited by Nakia

DD9 does AWANAs at a local Baptist church.

She likes it because it's lots of fun, they learn about the Bible and get to talk about the stories with the leaders (she's in TnT now).

She is not so fond of the games, which is OK because this church doesn't put much emphasis on the winning/losing aspect, just on the team work parts.

I like it because they are a very inclusive and open group. We aren't Baptist, but they are fine with that and there are other kids from different denominations in the group as well.

I've been hand off with our kids in AWANA, except when they are young and need help memorizing scripture.

Oldest was invited to Sparks when she should have been in Cubbies. We've been going ever since. She was a furst year Spark the next fall and middle was a cubbie that year too. DH volunteered with Cubbies that fall as well.

So far we've had 2 go through Cubbies, 3 through Sparks and as of May 3 through T&T. DH has been the music guy in Cubbies until last year. Last year he did music in both Cubbies and Sparks. This year he does music in Sparks and listens to verse at boys T&T. This church only goes through 5th grade. Once the girls graduated T&T, they helped in Cubbies. Middle still does. Oldest does music with dh in Sparks.

All I can really say is the kids love it! I stay home alone. My only alone time all week. DH has mentioned to me to volunteer as well. It's not at our church. I do enough volunteering throughout the week, I don't need something else to do and like I said, it's my alone time.

We've been in 2 programs - one is awesome, one was not. Very not. I think like anything else, it's driven by leadership, parental involvement (our own and others) and the kids. And, like youth sports, it's not for everyone. We love our AWANA group and are grateful for a weekly date night. It's blessed our family immensely.

ETA - Both of my kids started in Cubbies and are now in T&T.

ETA (again, I just read your update) - I agree with the bucks. Our old church - the dollar thing was a nightmare. In our current AWANA it's really not a big deal. We have store 2-3 times a year. The Christmas store is to shop for siblings, grandparents and parents. The Youth Group helps the little ones shop and then they wrap the presents. The kids cannot buy anything for themselves. It's a sweet store where the kids spend all that they have on others. It's a huge deal for them. We also used to have a Christmas Box store where the kids used their bucks to buy things for the Operation Christmas Boxes. We haven't done that one lately, but it's a great idea to teach giving. The last store of the year is when the kids can buy things for themselves (or others). Since most of the kids spent most of their money at Christmas, there's not a ton to spend in April. We've also added a "yard sale" element with donated used items the kids can buy for year sale type prices. It's a great way to teach "used is cheaper" and it gives the kids with less money a chance to still buy something. It also stretches our budget a lot. I cannot tell you the number of times I've seen the kids buy stuff to share with each other - share their money - buy things for parents and teachers. It can be a good thing.

But, yes, the store and the emphasis can be annoying. The kids *should* want to learn without an external motivation. But since it's in place, we try to use it to teach meaningful lessons beyond consumerism and self gratification.

Edited by Kayaking Mom

I don't know yet. My ds was invited by a friend in Feb, and I've been wanting to get them in some kind of bible club thing, so I let him go, and he loves it, so I signed him up. I was planning on starting 3 of our kids in it this fall, but I don't know......I'm really not comfortable with aspects of it. I read through his book, and it is sooooo heavy on asking Jesus into your heart....that's really my big issue. I'm not as conservative theogically as I was growing up, and I've just really come to the realization that I really like where Jesus says to count the cost before following him. I just don't think IMO!!!! that kids at 5, 6, 7 are capable of fully understanding the sin issue and knowing what they are going to have to say No to as they get older. (I think this is where the Telling God's Story ppl are coming from too, as I understand it), and so we have told our kids we don't want them 'asking Jesus into their hearts'...I hate that phrase anyway. We teach them about Jesus, obviously, but we really feel that committing to be a disciple of Jesus is an intentional decision that needs to be made when they are a little older, like 11, 12, etc...when they have a fuller understanding of what they are committing to.

I also don't like the emphasis (and this isn't just Awana) on accepting Jesus so you can go to heaven, and avoid hell. I really dislike that viewpoint. I want people to come to Jesus because they love him, because they want to join with him in the redemption of the world, of their lives, etc....I don't think it should be turned into a get out of hell card. And that's what I see coming across in the Awana book...

But on the other hand, I like the kids to have friends, memorize scripture in an organized way, and see that the Bible is fun. So I like that aspect of it. So I'm torn. Right now I've just talked over the book with my ds, telling him that we don't agree with all of it, and that he is not, under any circumstances, to raise his hand and ask Jesus into his heart, :tongue_smilie: That if he has questions, and wants to talk about it, that he can come to us and talk about it. I do tell him that some kids might go to Awana that don't go to any church, and this might be their only exposure to Jesus, and so they need to be able to ask their teachers questions, and so it's good they can do that. But he has parents he can talk to, so he doesn't need to do that.

IDK.....if you aren't a traditionally conservative evangelical, this kind of stuff is really sticky and hard to balance, I think, not to mention a little lonely.

Our last club (before we started the one at our current church) had AWANA bucks and did store. I hated it. Before we left, they only did it for Cubbies ans Sparks.

Our current club does not do store. I hate store. I want the children to enjoy the fellowship and learning God's Word and not be focused on the material items.

Linda

2. Old church canceled AWANA & we moved. Visited a church that advertised a HUGE playscape. Whatever--I'm glad they like kids, lol. But then we get there & take ds's class to another room to *scream* for fun instead of to the playscape. They tell him he *can't* play on it *ever* unless he brings a friend on the right Wednesday. (the one coming up)

He says, "We just moved. I don't know anybody." They say--bring a cousin. (He doesn't have any.) So they tell him he'll have to sit in a room by himself while the other kids play. :confused:

Ds was in tears because he was lonely, had no friends (except the ones who'd moved out of state, etc), & had just had it rubbed in his face, & was ultimately being punished for that. :glare:

We didn't go back there.

That is absolutely disgusting behaviour and I'm so sorry that your son had that done to him. :(

Our AWANA experience - one year, one church (none of the churches in town do it now) was really good… they were fantastic about making sure that our special needs DS was included in everything even if he couldn't do the same things as the other kids - they'd ask me "how can we help him take part?" and go with whatever I suggested. :)

Thank you! I am not familiar with AWANA, in general, because I've never been to a church that offers it.

And thank you for you compliment on my photos. :D

The meatloaf comment comes from another thread. Just a little funny.

Thanks for sharing.

You are welcome! :)

Our church has an Awana store and the kids earn 'Awana bucks' throughout the year. However when it is time for the Awana store, the kids use their Awana bucks to buy things for the local city mission, or to buy things for a ministry to inner city kids, or to a missionary that the church supports. So all along they are earning dollars to 'buy' something for someone in need.

Yvonne in NE

We do hand out a lot of bucks, and the kids love spending them. I have found, though, that our kids only focus on the money at the moment it's handed out and when they spend it. During counsel time (I think that's the same as group time) they're involved in the story, during game time they're too busy playing and after it's all handled during handbook time the focus is on handbooks.

We started accepting canned goods as friends. Now, if they bring in the stuff needed for the Samaritan's Purse (toothbrushes, toothpaste &tc) then it counts as a friend. Our pantry is BURSTING with food and the kids decided to call it "feeding a friend" (they came up with it on their own). So they tell each other to either bring a friend or feed a friend :lol:

My younger children (5 and 7) enjoy AWANA. They like seeing their friends, playing games, and getting into the 'theme' each week. I'm not sure if theme nights are part of every AWANA program, but ours has themes such as 'crazy hat night' or 'bring a baby picture night' -- just random themes.

My ds12 has mixed feelings about the program. We are not Baptists and, the older the kids get, the more theology is incorporated into the meetings. Here are two events that stick out in my mind that have happened during the last year:

1. A child in ds12's class brought a friend with him to AWANA. The pastor took the Trek kids aside (except for the guest) and tried to pump the kids up about 'saving' this boy's soul. He said, "Let's get this boy saved tonight!" and encouraged the kids to talk about how 'cool' being a Christian was, etc. The guest was, in turn, pressured to 'get saved' that night.

2. A few weeks ago the children were sharing prayer requests and one of the kids asked for prayer for his classmate, because he said the classmate thinks that he may be gay. The pastor led the children in prayer for this child to repent of his wicked thoughts, turn from sin, etc.

So far we have used these incidents to spark important discussions. I have shared my own personal beliefs with my ds, and we also discussed why many Christians believe that homosexuality is a sin.(Unfortunately the issue also came up at Boy Scouts during the same week, so we had multiple opportunities to discuss it).

I told my ds that if a time comes when he no longer wishes to attend that he may stop. I am comfortable leaving the decision to him at this point, even if I am not completely comfortable with some of the lessons being taught in his class. It is a hard position to be in, as a parent, and I honestly don't know if we are handling it right or not.

I am opposed to the 'bring a friend' requirement and will not allow my children to be promoted or rewarded for inviting guests to the program. The AWANA bucks, the candy, the games -- I'm lukewarm at best on those things. I'm not crazy about the program, generally speaking.

I just really feel like the focus has shifted to an award system that is just way too much. I don't believe it is really teaching them to want to be in the Word when they are doing it to get a buck. I honestly wish they would do away with the AWANA bucks.

(QUOTE]

This has been a concern for me as well. We moved recently, and I realized this is all related to how each church implements the Awana store. Our new church minimizes the store in comparison to our old church. If you are comfortable talking to the people coordinating the program you may be able to make some changes as a church to keep it focused on the scripture not the bucks!! Good Luck!

I don't know yet. My ds was invited by a friend in Feb, and I've been wanting to get them in some kind of bible club thing, so I let him go, and he loves it, so I signed him up. I was planning on starting 3 of our kids in it this fall, but I don't know......I'm really not comfortable with aspects of it. I read through his book, and it is sooooo heavy on asking Jesus into your heart....that's really my big issue. I'm not as conservative theogically as I was growing up, and I've just really come to the realization that I really like where Jesus says to count the cost before following him. I just don't think IMO!!!! that kids at 5, 6, 7 are capable of fully understanding the sin issue and knowing what they are going to have to say No to as they get older. (I think this is where the Telling God's Story ppl are coming from too, as I understand it), and so we have told our kids we don't want them 'asking Jesus into their hearts'...I hate that phrase anyway. We teach them about Jesus, obviously, but we really feel that committing to be a disciple of Jesus is an intentional decision that needs to be made when they are a little older, like 11, 12, etc...when they have a fuller understanding of what they are committing to.

I also don't like the emphasis (and this isn't just Awana) on accepting Jesus so you can go to heaven, and avoid hell. I really dislike that viewpoint. I want people to come to Jesus because they love him, because they want to join with him in the redemption of the world, of their lives, etc....I don't think it should be turned into a get out of hell card. And that's what I see coming across in the Awana book...

But on the other hand, I like the kids to have friends, memorize scripture in an organized way, and see that the Bible is fun. So I like that aspect of it. So I'm torn. Right now I've just talked over the book with my ds, telling him that we don't agree with all of it, and that he is not, under any circumstances, to raise his hand and ask Jesus into his heart, :tongue_smilie: That if he has questions, and wants to talk about it, that he can come to us and talk about it. I do tell him that some kids might go to Awana that don't go to any church, and this might be their only exposure to Jesus, and so they need to be able to ask their teachers questions, and so it's good they can do that. But he has parents he can talk to, so he doesn't need to do that.

IDK.....if you aren't a traditionally conservative evangelical, this kind of stuff is really sticky and hard to balance, I think, not to mention a little lonely.

Stated much more eloquently than I could have put it, especially the bolded part. :iagree:

We didn't go back there.

3. The church we're at (for AWANA) now...is ok. But last week, they told dd that since she hadn't brought any friends, she could fulfill that requirement by passing out 5 tracts. (Old church simply skipped the bring-a-friend requirement.)

I'm not a fan of tracts in the first place, but let's say for argument's sake I'm ok w/ them.

I'm also very uncomfortable w/ children evangelizing ea other. I mean, if it happens on its own, that's fine, but *forcing* kids to tell other kids about the Bible, AWANA, the Gospel, etc...can just turn out so badly, kwim?

My dc go to AWANAS at the church we recently started going to. I'm not a huge fan, but they enjoy it and I do like that they're memorizing verses. My dd has blazed through her book in just a couple months, but was upset because she wasn't going to be able to pass because she hadn't brought a friend yet. I told her not to worry about it, to tell her leader all her friends already go, and that if they wouldn't let it pass, either dh or I would talk to them. They passed her on that requirement.

I'm also not a fan of children being pushed to bring a friend just so they can pass the section in the book. It makes the motive for bringing someone not very honest, IMO. If my dc want to invite a friend because they enjoy AWANAS and would like their friend to go, that's one thing - but to *have* to bring someone to pass is wrong.

We do hand out a lot of bucks, and the kids love spending them. I have found, though, that our kids only focus on the money at the moment it's handed out and when they spend it. During counsel time (I think that's the same as group time) they're involved in the story, during game time they're too busy playing and after it's all handled during handbook time the focus is on handbooks.

I like the bucks just fine. At our old church, the kids' favorite store night was Christmas, because they could pick out gifts for all of us & actually surprise us. They liked that they'd "earned" them themselves, too. (New church only offers kid-junk at every store night. Kids were pretty disappointed.)

Anyway...I don't mind if the kids are focused on getting bucks. Maybe that's because mine haven't had a problem w/ it? But, really, I think the Bible is supposed to breed a love for itself. If we use bucks to get them to that point...*shrug.* It's fun. I wish they'd have AWANA for grown-ups. ;)

However you get Scripture inside your kids, once it's there, it stays, & it changes them. Next to getting it there, the only thing I can think of that *really* matters is being honest about it, living it, that kind of thing.

We started accepting canned goods as friends. Now, if they bring in the stuff needed for the Samaritan's Purse (toothbrushes, toothpaste &tc) then it counts as a friend. Our pantry is BURSTING with food and the kids decided to call it "feeding a friend" (they came up with it on their own). So they tell each other to either bring a friend or feed a friend :lol:

Honestly, the canned goods bug me. They ask the kids every Wed--Did you bring any? For T&T, it has become a discipline issue. They're putting it under the guise of a "contest"--but it's a contest for who can be on time, wear their uniform properly, bring canned goods, etc. Sometimes...that just shows a *painful* lack of awareness of who's attending the group.

Oh my. This definitely would not happen at our AWANA program. We are very careful to just present the Bible message of the night. The Trek and Journey programs both have very specific lesson that should be presented. My dd is going through the book of Revelation right now. They read the passage for the night, then talk about what they have read.

For my younger ones we have been going through Kay Arthur's book on the names of God and where they are used in the Bible. For instance, one night we studied Jehovah-raah (The Lord is my Shepherd) and used Psalm 23 to talk about the similarities between how an actual shepherd cares for his sheep and how God cares for us.

I sure wouldn't want a bunch of kids using peer pressure to bring about what should be a heart-felt decision.

Linda

I like the bucks just fine. At our old church, the kids' favorite store night was Christmas, because they could pick out gifts for all of us & actually surprise us. They liked that they'd "earned" them themselves, too. (New church only offers kid-junk at every store night. Kids were pretty disappointed.)

Anyway...I don't mind if the kids are focused on getting bucks. Maybe that's because mine haven't had a problem w/ it? But, really, I think the Bible is supposed to breed a love for itself. If we use bucks to get them to that point...*shrug.* It's fun. I wish they'd have AWANA for grown-ups. ;)

However you get Scripture inside your kids, once it's there, it stays, & it changes them. Next to getting it there, the only thing I can think of that *really* matters is being honest about it, living it, that kind of thing.

Honestly, the canned goods bug me. They ask the kids every Wed--Did you bring any? For T&T, it has become a discipline issue. They're putting it under the guise of a "contest"--but it's a contest for who can be on time, wear their uniform properly, bring canned goods, etc. Sometimes...that just shows a *painful* lack of awareness of who's attending the group.

Well, we live in a rural area and most of the kids don't live near their school friends. To take the pressure off of the "bring a friend!" craze, we said they could bring food (like I said though, now we accept toothbrushes and toothpaste). When Samaritans Purse starts up officially we are going to be touting the contributions of our Awana clubbers, because these kids give and give and give. It could make a person cry to see how moved they are.

I'm actually off to go set up. But I wanted to :hurray: here real quick. I've been down with a new and improved flu virus since last week and just found out today that one of our Awana T&Ters and HER PARENTS were baptized Sunday :D

:party:

The parents have had a lot of struggles, she's been in the custody of a different family member and since Jan they've all made huge moves forward and together. As of last week they regained custody, renewed their vows and joined our church. Everything great happens when I'm home sick :lol:

Well, we live in a rural area and most of the kids don't live near their school friends. To take the pressure off of the "bring a friend!" craze, we said they could bring food (like I said though, now we accept toothbrushes and toothpaste). When Samaritans Purse starts up officially we are going to be touting the contributions of our Awana clubbers, because these kids give and give and give. It could make a person cry to see how moved they are.

I think we may be talking around ea other. I'm glad for the pressure to be taken off of the bring a friend thing. I think it's silly to ask Very Poor People to bring canned goods. Even if (especially if) you then turn around & tell them/their parents that "if they ever need food, just come to the food pantry." :glare:

This particular AWANA plans *so much* extra-curricular stuff that we just can't afford. It stinks to constantly have to tell your dc NO, esp after they've hyped it up. Otoh, between broken vehicles & dh's work schedule, we've even had to say no to free stuff. No one knows, no one calls, no one wonders, asks, anything. I guess that's fine.

I almost wish we hadn't signed up this year. Just the $2/wk dues & gas to get there have been too much. I didn't realize you couldn't *really* participate w/out planning on another $/mo for activities, canned goods, missions offerings, etc. You don't *have* to do it all. You just feel like a heel if you don't. Blech!

I don't have much experience with AWANAS (we are Catholic), but some good friends of ours go to a large Community Bible church. Their daughters are best friends with our daughters and have invited our girls to go with them several times (one even ended with a huge family-friendly dinner that we attended). Our friends are very careful to make sure no one tries to convert our daughters or offend them -- both parents are leaders there. Our daughters have so much fun! They love it! And their friends are looking forward to when our girls are in youth group at our church so they can go with them. :D We're just one big happy ecumenical homeschooling family around here.

And just to point out....our AWANA program does NOT enforce the "bring a friend" section of the book. DD6 literally has no one to bring. I wouldn't mind if they gave her another assignment for that section, but they don't even do that. They just sign off on it and skip it. If they DID enforce it, I would be VERY irate. DD6 is extremely shy, has selective mutism, and has no friends except her sister and cousins (who go to their own church and live 30-40 minutes away, so they are not an option). They would hear from me if they "punished" her for not being able to bring a friend.

I think we may be talking around ea other. I'm glad for the pressure to be taken off of the bring a friend thing. I think it's silly to ask Very Poor People to bring canned goods. Even if (especially if) you then turn around & tell them/their parents that "if they ever need food, just come to the food pantry." :glare:

Ah, I see.

This particular AWANA plans *so much* extra-curricular stuff that we just can't afford. It stinks to constantly have to tell your dc NO, esp after they've hyped it up. Otoh, between broken vehicles & dh's work schedule, we've even had to say no to free stuff. No one knows, no one calls, no one wonders, asks, anything. I guess that's fine.

The only extras we do are put on BY Awanas. We're having an end of carnival in June. Everything is free, admission is one canned good per person (or something from the S P list). But OUR CHURCH has always done stuff like this. They have dinners and admission is either a canned good or love offering.

I almost wish we hadn't signed up this year. Just the $2/wk dues & gas to get there have been too much. I didn't realize you couldn't *really* participate w/out planning on another $/mo for activities, canned goods, missions offerings, etc. You don't *have* to do it all. You just feel like a heel if you don't. Blech!

This is crazy to me. We (the church) pays for the uniforms, books and (now) bags for all the kids. The parents get a note home when the kids get their stuff saying how much the cost is and when and where they could donate that amount if they're interested. No dues, nothing.

Do you mind if I forward your post to our church? They've been worried that we're making Awanas "too easy" and I think they'll be blessed by seeing that we're making it 'easy enough.'

$2/wk dues????

I've never been part of an AWANA program that had weekly dues. Just a sum of money at the beginning to pay for book/vest (and most churches will help out with that if you let them know you need help)

$2/wk dues????

I've never been part of an AWANA program that had weekly dues. Just a sum of money at the beginning to pay for book/vest (and most churches will help out with that if you let them know you need help)

The 2 different programs my dc have gone to both had dues, or you could pay it as a lump sum at the beginning. I think they may break it down as a weekly due to make it more manageable? We've always tried to just pay the lump sum since I don't usually have cash lying around for them to take each week.

The 2 different programs my dc have gone to both had dues, or you could pay it as a lump sum at the beginning. I think they may break it down as a weekly due to make it more manageable? We've always tried to just pay the lump sum since I don't usually have cash lying around for them to take each week.

Yeah, that's what we usually do, too, but couldn't this year. It's only 50c/kid; we just have several kids, lol.

I haven't read all the replies but wanted to share about our AWANA. We attend a program at an AG church (not out denomination) because it is closest to home. I was worried at first that there would be issues with theological differences but it's been more than fine. There is no focus on bringing friends or that kind of thing. It's mentioned when that part of the book is reached but I've not seen anyone bring a friend & it's not been an issue. If it were we would probably stop attending.

This is crazy to me. We (the church) pays for the uniforms, books and (now) bags for all the kids. The parents get a note home when the kids get their stuff saying how much the cost is and when and where they could donate that amount if they're interested. No dues, nothing.

Do you mind if I forward your post to our church? They've been worried that we're making Awanas "too easy" and I think they'll be blessed by seeing that we're making it 'easy enough.'

LOL--it's a public board. I'd be grateful if you didn't forward it to *my* church, but otherwise, yeah--whatever. :001_smile:

Yeah, that's what we usually do, too, but couldn't this year. It's only 50c/kid; we just have several kids, lol.

The program we attend used to collect dues but hasn't for the last several years. The congregation has asked God & has trusted him to take care of it & so far he has. We do still buy the books & vests.

1. Old church: 1st AWANA experience. Awesome.

We didn't go back there.

But let's say I'm not worried about that, either. Let's say I think tracts between kids or anybody else is just great.

*These* tracts that she was given to hand out...MISQUOTE SCRIPTURE. Badly. So badly that I read it aloud to dc & asked, "Does the Bible really say that?" They shook their heads, told me the accurate theology of sin, & I had them look up the verse cited--ISAIAH. There are so many NT verses one could cite--why oh why cite Is in the first place?

Anyway, they looked it up, & it essentially said the opposite of the kiddie version in the tract (which said that God turns away from us when we sin--& yeah, I get what they meant to say, but they literally said the above--if you're going to tell a KID, especially, I don't see saying the God who sent his Son to die for us *turned away* from us, kwim? from the sin, sure. from US?)

Dh is going to return the tracts to dd's teacher & talk to her tomorrow, but gosh I hate this aspect of AWANA.

To give your husband ammunition . . . I am a T and T director and in the leader's book there is a list of about 12 alternatives to bringing a friend. They are things like sending cards to a nursing home, wearing your uniform out shopping and answering questions, etc. Inviting friends just doesn't work for a lot of kids!

• Like 1

I think what your church is doing sounds wonderful. Our AWANA program is not like that at all. We paid for vests, a Tshirt for our eldest, and about 10.00 per book every time one of them needs a new book. Each child also pays .50 'dues' each week.

LOL--it's a public board. I'd be grateful if you didn't forward it to *my* church, but otherwise, yeah--whatever. :001_smile:

Well, I figured the least I could do was ask :p

I think what your church is doing sounds wonderful. Our AWANA program is not like that at all. We paid for vests, a Tshirt for our eldest, and about 10.00 per book every time one of them needs a new book. Each child also pays .50 'dues' each week.

:D I'll let them know that. Our church is very active in the community and they're always coming up with some new way to give back. I have no idea how we afford it all...... er well, I guess how we afford it must be obvious, because the folks attending (in general) are not tything anything in the four digit area... There probably isn't much in the three digit area either.

• 11 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m glad this zombie thread got resurrected because I had been thinking about Awana for my son in the future but I thought it was just a fun Christian memory verse type of children’s group. Learning about the way they use rewards and the forced evangelism kind of turns me off.

I do like the ones where children are supposed to use their rewards to buy gifts for friends and family members; I think that’s the right way to go about it.