Menu

Looking for a serious partner who wants to "do" Well Educated Mind with me!

While I am probably not a good pick for somebody with whom you wish a regular contact (being a hopelessly inconsistent correspondent), I do not wish to miss an opportunity to attempt to convert another soul to what is probably the most remarkable work in the history of Western literature, so when you come to Dante, send me a note if I am still around and we can chat about that. ;)

It's one of my favorite works.

Should you care to expand your horizon a bit further, there is a fabulous opera of the same title that is thoroughly enjoyable. Even if you don't like opera.

I don't have time to reread it right now, but a son has taken it off the shelf for his leisure reading. I could ask him if he wants to discuss it? He will likely complain that would make it too much like an assignment and less enjoyable. Young people don't appreciate intellectual conversation like us adults who are too often starved for it.;)

I have just read through the beginning chapters of TWEM. I have ordered my copy of Don Quixote & am waiting for it to arrive. I would love to have a partner as we read through these works. Perhaps we can hammer out details by PM?

If I had to read Don Quixote again I would slit my throat, lol.

:D

Once was enough.

:lol::lol::lol: I'm close in that. I also found I absolutely loathed Pilgrim's Progress, even though I tried to finish it, I finally decided I hadn't foudn anything so great about it that I was going to force myself to finish. I pick and choose what I read from WEM and am confident that I can have a well educated mind without reading every single title in it because of other things I have read, etc.

That said, I think it's a great accomplishment to do this. Were I 20 years younger or so, I would be far more likely to dig in and do this.

I am going to start a yahoo group for all of us-i think that's the best way to coordinate everyone, what do you think?

I can't PM everyone right now as we're schooling-just took a break for 10 minutes, but let me know if you like the idea of a yahoo group.

I'm interested! I read part of DQ in the past (enjoyed it) but am planning to restart with the WEM. Let me know - I'll be on and off this week (moving) but I'll try to keep an eye on things. I'd love some accountability though.

I would be interested in joining but I have already read (and journalled DQ). I guess I could join now or I could wait until Pilgrim's Progress .....??? PM me Halycon and let me know what you think. :001_smile:

I think you could wait, or re-read the book with us LOL

.....or re-read the book with us LOL

:D Oh, you are hilarious! ............ but I might just take you up on your generous but insane offer. ;) I first read it using TWEM in 2005 and it took me 1 1/2 years to gradually get through it! Aaaah! My analytical reading skills have hopefully improved since then, and a re-reading might do me some good.

Oh this is going to be so fuN!

Woo hoo! :hurray:

Will be keen on the yahoo group. Downloaded DQ last night, have WEM ordered and on the way. Just worried as I am the least educated person I know, so I probably won't be able to put my thoughts down overly well.

Please don't worry. I think once you get started, you'll be surprised at how much you do know and how certain skills, that you were sure you didn't have, actually appear as you read. And we're all joining to learn from each other, right! :001_smile:

I just hate reading books like this alone.
:iagree: I think I'll be more motivated to read if there is ppl to discuss it with, and other ppl to push me along. Dh and I have been trying to make it through Brothers K for a year and a half now :tongue_smilie: and we're not super motivated to continue, even though I want to read the book.

I'd be interested in trying it also. DQ is sitting on my shelf, feeling sad, but not lonely, since the next three books from TWEM are sitting there too...wondering when/if they will ever be called to duty...

Yahoo group is good for me, but not Facebook.

I started a yahoo group awhile back for discussing books, self-education etc. You're welcome to all meet there, if you'd like. Nothing has been posted there since last November.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/charlottemasonselfed/?yguid=333082698

I'd like to join in, but I'm planning on reading an abridged version.

Hmmmm. I think I'm in that group!

Okay everyone-DH told me i MUST get off the computer and I haven't set up the yahoo group yet LOL, so don't think I have forgotten about you! I haven't! I promise I will do this tomorrow, and let's hope I'm not as remiss about doing my assignments as I am about setting up the group. :)

I think I'll start a new group, and will upload reading schedules in the file section (yes, REAL assignments!! Does it feel like you're back at school yet!!!???) :D

Join us! I am setting up the group this morning, and will pm everyone who is interested with the URL. But please, only sub to the group if you're going to be fairly disciplined and participatory--if too many of us slack off, then the project will fail.

Okay, I created the group right here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WEMreaders/

I will also PM everyone personally tonight to make sure that all have the URL to join.

I will create a schedule for Don Quixote this week. We will be using the Penguin Classics edition (by far the most readable, and the one SWB recommends) but if you prefer a different edition, by all means :)

ahh so I would just pack don quixote then cause the penguin classic has 1072 pages.. awesome!!... okay off to join the yahoo group!! I will try my hardest to be chatty with this first book, but It might be the 2nd book before I join in more with since I will be visiting hubs and I plan on cramming in as much sightseeing as i can when hes not working lol!!

thank you for doing this!!!

Will be keen on the yahoo group. Downloaded DQ last night, have WEM ordered and on the way. Just worried as I am the least educated person I know, so I probably won't be able to put my thoughts down overly well.

The point isn't to get an A. The point is to improve. If you write down whatever you can manage, you are practicing. And someone will probably jump on it and say "Oh, yes! I thought that too!" and continue with something that improves on what you said. It's not much of a conversation if the first person says something so brilliant there is nothing left to say, is there?

I would like to participate in theory. In practice I started on the autobiographies. It was a bad choice :lol:

Rosie

I have DQ on my Kindle and that is how I'm going to be reading it, just wondering if the assignments can be listed also as close to chapters or a point where each assignment ends as I'm not certain I have page numbers.

I have the Tobias Smollett translation, I hope I can adapt the assignments as well. I'd rather not have to buy a different version.

For the first ten chapters I'll [also] be doing the WEM assignments in the first (?) part. By then I hope to have figured out the next part... that's where you all can help out :P

I have DQ on my Kindle and that is how I'm going to be reading it, just wondering if the assignments can be listed also as close to chapters or a point where each assignment ends as I'm not certain I have page numbers.

Definitely! I am trying to get this done today everyone!