Menu

It a toughie.

I had to pretty much design my own.

Find the science curriculum you like best, and add on from there.

Are you looking at 8th and 6th for next year? Trisms History Makers has a pretty neat way of combining Science, History, Literature, etc. We really liked it!

I have two things of the top of my head:

1. The story of science. Now, it is the history of science. And only of physical science and space/earth. But, I think it makes a good place to start or a way to keep the history aspect in a larger curriculum. I can easily see using that book along with some 'how the ancients did science' books...there are a couple of them. Or just following along and pulling in the math and other science she discusses.

2. This year, I used the life science from guest hollow. it is meant to be the focus of a year. I didn't do all of it. I didn't make it the focus of the school year (I have history kids) but I did do more science than I have ever done and my kids LOVED it. Now, it is not secular but it uses many secular materials. We are very secular and I had no problem whatsoever using it. In fact, she makes many suggestions to omit certain pages and I just made sure NOT to omit. I even added in a month on evolution and Darwin with no problem. I am also adding in botany at the end of the year. We will be using TOPS radish unit.

I think she has the bare bones of a chemistry unit up. I am certain with some work you can flesh it out to your liking. For me, I needed somewhere to start and once I had that, I was off making it my own.

I love History and my kids do too, but in reality they will more likely go into a scientific field rather than history. I come from a family of engineers. I'm and Electrical Engineer and my husband was Biology Major that turned into a coumputer programmer.

We love TOG, but I feel we need a year that is more science focused than history. I'm about to order NOEO Physics II and see if I can beef it up. I would love to start having my 5th grader start applying some of his math to some Science problems. I wish there was a program as intense as TOG for Science.

For secular science, that has a lot of hands on stuff, try Prentice Hall Explorers series. You have a choice of Earth, Life, or Physical sciences. There is also a lab manual that we really like (lots of stuff to do). You could try CPO, it is also for jr. high, but more "real" science in my opinion. You can check it out for free here, http://www.nhusd.k12.ca.us/node/52 . Make sure you check out the lab manual to see if you feel comfortable with the experiments. The activities/experiments are adaptable for HS, you just have to think outside the box. There are a lot of posts on here about how to adapt CPO science. As much as I love CPO, we're using PH this year, the kids like it better. It has "fun" activities, versus CPO's more in depth experiments.

I am moving over to more of a science centered school next year.

I've decided to use Joy Hakim's The Story of Science as our spine. I use the Student and Teacher Quest which are full of experiments, activities, history and art links, ect. We have been using this series the past two years, but in order to fully utilize everything it offers it will become the spine of our studies.

I've added to that Thames and Kosmos Milestones in Science Kit. I've found the experiments to line up with the Story of Science series pretty well.

I have Nebel's elementary education book. I don't know if I'd say it is science focused exactly. He's got a lot in there about cultivating a moral outlook. I don't quite know how to characterize it. His science book (BFSU) fleshes out his science curriculum in more detail. However, it is a plan created by a scientist, whereas so many educational plans are created by people who don't really like science or math (Charlotte Mason described math as basically something to plow through, and I think a lot of CM people feel a lot of affinity for this outlook, preferring history and/or literature much more). However, since she believed education was the science of relations, so certainly a program that tried to uncover how the world works wouldn't be opposed to her view.

You might want to look at these older threads:

Science based curriculum (5 pages long)

Why is hsing so history driven? (5 pages long)

Those planning to cover lots of Math/Science with their kids (I actually started this one, and it's 10 pages long)

Confused about Mathematics and Classical Education/WTM

Is there a packaged curriculum that focuses in science as much as in history?

Here's the list of threads tagged science focus (in case any more pop up; I've tagged the newer ones):

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/tags.php?tag=science+focus

ETA: I realize I said almost the exact thing about Nebel a year and a half ago. And have posted the same type of thing in all of these threads. Disturbing.

Edited by stripe

I have decided that our homeschool next year will be more science than history focused. Who else has done this? What did you use? I like BJU, dislike Apologia, and am having moderate success with Noeo. Secular is preferred, but I can handle CC as well. (This is for a 10yo who LOVES hands-on and tinkering.

WinterPromise Sea & Sky! (one week view of the guide) Science-focused. WP is YE Christian, but Dragons of the Deep is the only book from that POV in S&S that that I can remember and it can easily be swapped for Sea Monsters: Prehistoric Creatures of the Deep.

Beautiful Feet's History of Science is fabulous and could easily be used alongside a simple narrative one-year history like CHOW. Although it is Christian, I do not think that any of the books push a YE POV.

HTH-

Mandy

For the history of Science, I like Hakim's Series. But I am guessing that you would need to do some experiments, lab work, that sort of thing. Perhaps the community college could suggest some experiments that she could do at home, or perhaps she could sit in on some of the labs for a more hands-on science program. Depends a little on the college, but I know that I got so much more out of lab than I did in class. I remember vividly the night that a kind gentleman offered the use of his telescope and his stargazing know how to our home-school group. I know that nothing I could have read would ever have matched up with the thrill I got from seeing the surface of the moon for the first time.

It seems a real pity that there are not many good options for scientific investigation in school-not just home school. I expect public education suffers from the same deficiencies.

For the middle grades, I've used Science Explorer and have found it to be thorough and accessible. I have also reviewed CPO Life Science extensively and am very impressed (and will be using it next year instead of SE). I think it has more thoughtful questions than SE and it also has a lot of great (free) worksheets that go with it.

As for hands on stuff, that becomes more problematic. We have used the Nutshells, and they tend to be hit or miss. Unfortunately at $40 each, hit or miss isn't necessarily what you want. Both SE and CPO have labs written specifically for the texts, but some of those require a classroom, though many can be done easily at home.

I also like to incorporate history and literature into our science studies. So, for example, we study famous scientists and read books that have scientific themes--an example would be reading Journey to the Center of the Earth while studying geology.

I also like to add science documentaries from Netflix when I can find good ones.

I would say that our homeschool has gone from being very history focused to having science and history balanced more evenly. I know my science loving boys appreciate the change.

I think it is critical for mom to cater to her teaching style first. I highly suggest you only cater to DS by going as far as a history of science spine. Days we wake up in the morning and feel lost as how to proceed, are days our children don't learn anything.

I just saw a history of science kit at Barnes and Nobles called Milestones in Science that looks so good! Amazon is selling if for much cheaper than B&N.

Don't forget to use biographies of scientists.

Also look into writing about science and science journaling.

Phenology is an interesting way to weave science into the yearly rhythm if you have been including a lot of calendar and holiday work. You can sometimes find nature books with monthly chapters that you can have open and on display year around and just turn the pages.

I'm not sure what your religion is, but if you are Christian, Bedell will provide a quick way to add some science to your morning scripture reading. Lessons only take a few minutes to read the primary and junior lessons and then, if and only if, you want to learn more, there are research suggestions designed for older children.

Again, I do not suggest you move away from YOUR teaching style. Tweak it, but don't abandon it.

I've found that the trick to planning arts and experiments and other projects, is to have a dedicated day each week to assembling the materials needed. Two weeks before the project will be introduced, while assembling the box, it will be obvious if something is missing. Now you still have a whole week to shop, before attempting again to prepare the box.

Try to complete projects as a priority, during prime time, instead of squeezing them into a busy time, because you think of them as an unecessary elective. Maybe a time like Tuesday morning that your children have become accustomed to expecting. Have some backup quick, fun projects in case the project totally flops early on and needs to be abandoned. And have the children problem solve how to overcome the obstacles to try again next week.

If there are set project times, your children will be reminding you to prepare and asking questions that might help you prepare better.

Have a camera ready. Get into the habit of putting up a picture of the activity somewhere on schedule. Maybe plan having the children write grandma the next day, each week as a weekly creative writing assignment. and including a scan or picture of the activity.

One last thing: for anyone who used the Hakim Story of Science books, for what grade / age would you say these are appropriate? Would each one take a whole year?

I like the idea of using those as a spine, but in the past I've been a failure at pulling off experiments. I really need something that has already pulled everything together for me. Cost is not an issue as much as ease of use.

I have the series and plan to use it in our second history rotation, starting in 5th grade, with Aristotle Leads the Way.

I began using Aristotle Leads the Way last year for my 3rd and 4th graders. They enjoyed it for a few lessons but I was not able to keep my 2nd grader involved so we put it away until this coming fall when they will be in 3rd, 5th and 6th.

One last thing: for anyone who used the Hakim Story of Science books, for what grade / age would you say these are appropriate? Would each one take a whole year?

I like the idea of using those as a spine, but in the past I've been a failure at pulling off experiments. I really need something that has already pulled everything together for me. Cost is not an issue as much as ease of use.

You could go through them in a year if you wanted to. I've thought it would be neat to pair them with the Milestones in Science kit.

Also, be aware that the Hakim books are focused on physical science only, no biology. I've heard that she is currently writing a biology version.

I've started using it with a pretty advanced third grader who loves history. It's definitely aimed at middle school, though. Getting the quest guide and teacher's manual has been worth it.

I believe Hakim's got another science book in the works too. I think it might be about life science? Possibly in the same series, but I don't know really. My daughter sent her an email because she found an error in her book and got back a wonderful email from her and a pdf file of a chapter from a new book with a request for her to look over it and see what she thinks. The new one looks good!

We added more science this year for our jr and sr high students. We use Hakim's science series too, but what's really got them excited and talking is Bill Bryson. We started with http://www.amazon.com/Really-Short-History-Nearly-Everything/dp/0385738102/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1301238824&sr=8-17 and then moved into http://www.amazon.com/Short-History-Nearly-Everything-Illustrated/dp/0307885151/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1301238956&sr=8-3

We're also using the Khan Academy videos with the high schoolers with some supplemental online exploration.

Yes, that is it.

I really want Milestones in Science but have spent too much money lately on books and need to attend to some other things. I desperately need a new pair of sneakers :-(

Put it on my wish list. Thanks.

Dh and I need sneakers too. However, even those will have to wait as we need to pay for ds's surgery he had last week.

So many things I want for home school....so little budget.

The Milestones in Science kit is the one I used to line up with The Story of Science. It certainly lines up nicely, but isn't necessary. Almost all of the experiments included in the Milestones kit are included in the Quest Guides in some form. And the Quest experiments mostly use household items or can easily be adapted to work with household items.

For the history of Science, I like Hakim's Series. But I am guessing that you would need to do some experiments, lab work, that sort of thing. Perhaps the community college could suggest some experiments that she could do at home, or perhaps she could sit in on some of the labs for a more hands-on science program. Depends a little on the college, but I know that I got so much more out of lab than I did in class. I remember vividly the night that a kind gentleman offered the use of his telescope and his stargazing know how to our home-school group. I know that nothing I could have read would ever have matched up with the thrill I got from seeing the surface of the moon for the first time.

It seems a real pity that there are not many good options for scientific investigation in school-not just home school. I expect public education suffers from the same deficiencies.

There is a workbook that goes with the Story of Science and includes experiments and activities.

I heard Joy Hakim speak last week at our Homeschool Conference and I bought the first book, Aristotle, to preview. I haven't read much, but I appreciate what I have read so far.

The history of science books are pretty hefty. It would depend on how much you're using them (number of hours per week) as to how long they'd last. If you're using them along with more science oriented books that detail science topics (rather than just the history of science), then I think you could use one book a year. This would be especially true if you're also using experiments.

So just as a for example, if you used Aristotle Leads the Way first, it looks like there are 30 chapters, so you'd have about a chapter a week to cover. Hakim has also created teacher/student guides to go along with these books:

http://joyhakim.com/aristotle.html

I believe someone here has used them and talked about them recently - can't recall who, sorry.....

If you're only doing science for an hour or two a week, you could probably fill up your time with just these things, I'm just not sure how science focused they are as opposed to history focused, you know? But you could also add reading from something like a DK Eyewitness book, a Reader's Digest How the _______ Works book, a Visual Fact Finder, or assorted other books that cover the topics of biology, earth and/or space science, chemistry and/or physics, too and get more science meat in there.

For a ready to go kit, the only ones I've really ever used that I have really liked have been the Science in a Nutshell kits, which are pricey. Some are better than others. And even they don't include every single item.

Janice Van Cleave has turned out a TON of good experiment books, but you'd need to get a materials list and go shopping before school starts in order to have your stuff on hand for experiments (which is what I've done in years past). Mebane and Rybolt have out a lot of good chemistry and physics related experiment books, but again, you need to make up a list and go shopping. I've heard mixed reviews of the Thames and Kosmos chemistry kits and lots of folks seem to not have liked the 2000 level kit last recommended by WTM.

Home Science Tools catalog does offer some kits that they put together themselves, but I've had mixed results with those, as well.....

Edited by mcconnellboys

I heard Joy Hakim speak last week at our Homeschool Conference and I bought the first book, Aristotle, to preview.

I loved that one. The second one, Newton at the Center was also really good. I'm reading the last one, Einstein Adds a New Dimension now, and that one has been difficult, because my brain only bends so far, Albert!

There is a workbook that goes with the Story of Science and includes experiments and activities.

I knew that there were activities but I was not sure they were available for home-school families. If they are I am delighted.

Janice Van Cleave has turned out a TON of good experiment books, but you'd need to get a materials list and go shopping before school starts in order to have your stuff on hand for experiments (which is what I've done in years past). Meband and Rybolt have out a lot of good chemistry and physics related experiment books, but again, you need to make up a list and go shopping.

I think I'd like to check these out.

I loved that one. The second one, Newton at the Center was also really good. I'm reading the last one, Einstein Adds a New Dimension now, and that one has been difficult, because my brain only bends so far, Albert!

I knew that there were activities but I was not sure they were available for home-school families. If they are I am delighted.

Student and Teacher Quest Guides are what they are called and are available through Rainbow Resource, Amazon, ect.

I think I'd like to check these out.

The books do include a LOT of info and I can't see doing more than one a year, if you are using them as a science text. The science comes with the Quest Guides. Newton at the Center has about 50 suggested experiments.

Here is a post on my blog with detailed information about the program:

http://missmoe-thesearethedaysofmylife.blogspot.com/2011/02/teacher-and-student-quest-guides-for.html

he books do include a LOT of info and I can't see doing more than one a year, if you are using them as a science text.

No joke. I've got some time, though. DS7 squared are in first grade and I had already decided that the Hakim books were for fifth grade and up. I agree that it would take a good year to cover the first book, and Newton at the center is really beefy enough for about a year and a half of work. Don't know about the last one, since I just started it.

I'm really hoping she does a biological science series. Although I am really quite comfortable with that end of things I can always use a book to keep me moving along. I could get hung up on anatomy and physiology or botany pretty easily.