Menu

can I just say I'm loving artisan bread in 5 min!

I've made the best bread I've ever made. Dh just said he can't get over how much better my bread tastes compared to the store bought. Today I bought Healthy Bread in 5 Min a Day and can't wait to try it. Thanks ladies for bringing the Artisan Bread book to my attention!!

I've made the best bread I've ever made. Dh just said he can't get over how much better my bread tastes compared to the store bought. Today I bought Healthy Bread in 5 Min a Day and can't wait to try it. Thanks ladies for bringing the Artisan Bread book to my attention!!

I agree! DH can't believe how good the bread is and I can't believe how easy it is. I honestly didn't think it would work, but with all the thumbs-up from you ladies, I tried it. And it's wonderful!!

I want to give it a try but I keep getting hung up on what to keep the dough in after I mix it up. Do I need to buy some kind of special bucket. I am confused about the need for it to not be airtight. What do you keep yours in?

:iagree: I would love any suggestions!

I love it too! I mostly make the whole wheat bread so that I can feel good about it. At Christmas, I made the white bread and made Pecan rolls and pizza crust from that. It was fantastic!

I bought these from Amazon for storage. I needed square containers, because I have very little extra space in my fridge. These fit really well.

Love this bread, too. Even my 12 year old ds makes it on his own.

I bought a clear, plastic shoe box from Target. I received this tip, I think, on Amazons reviews. It's the perfect size for one batch of their standard dough, and its rectangular shape fits nicely in the refrigerator.

You need a lid but not an airtight one. I just lay the lid on top but don't fasten it on. Our bread works perfectly every time.

I love it too! I mostly make the whole wheat bread so that I can feel good about it. At Christmas, I made the white bread and made Pecan rolls and pizza crust from that. It was fantastic!

I bought these from Amazon for storage. I needed square containers, because I have very little extra space in my fridge. These fit really well.

Love this bread, too. Even my 12 year old ds makes it on his own.

I bought a clear, plastic shoe box from Target. I received this tip, I think, on Amazons reviews. It's the perfect size for one batch of their standard dough, and its rectangular shape fits nicely in the refrigerator.

You need a lid but not an airtight one. I just lay the lid on top but don't fasten it on. Our bread works perfectly every time.

Thanks! I guess I really thought it would need to be bigger than a shoe box! :)

I love it too! I use a Sterlite set that I had bought at Aldi's. I use the largest rectangle container from the set. I just leave one of the flaps unlocked, so it's not airtight. You can use a mixing bowl with plastic wrap on top. I've used a pot with a lid too. Also, I just saw at Sam's Club food safe buckets with lids. I believe it was 2 for $12.

Kim

I just use the mixing bowl from my Kitchenaid mixer. I cover it with plastic wrap. Eventually I'll get a fancy-dancy dough bucket, but for now this works (and I had two bowls).

I was hung up on the bowl too, so I understand. It's really much more simple than we make it in our heads.

Thanks! I don't know why my mind was having such difficulty processing the storage container. This gives me something to look for.

I was given a dough storage bucket from King Arthur Flour for Christmas. It works perfectly. I'm making pumpkin oatmeal bread today but I'm substituting more whole wheat for white flour. I cannot wait to try some of the recipes in Healthy Bread in 5 Min. They look yummy!!!!

I have a baking stone a friend gave me from Pampered Chef. I do think it makes a difference, though I've never done it without the stone. It absorbs moisture from the dough and makes the crust crispy.

I've never had any luck with a stone, or any stoneware for that matter. But, I'm thinking I should give it another try.......hummmmm.......birthday is coming up.......

I made the olive oil pizza dough last night (and used half whole-wheat flour, half white), and it was excellent.

I now have the food-grade plastic bucket and the baking stone, but I started out using a regular bowl and an overturned cast iron skillet (just bake the bread directly on the bottom of the skillet), and it worked fine.

These recipes are so amazingly forgiving. My mother-in-law was traveling and had neither the recipe nor measuring cups, so she just tossed flour in based on what she remembered. She said it worked beautifully.

I want to give it a try but I keep getting hung up on what to keep the dough in after I mix it up. Do I need to buy some kind of special bucket. I am confused about the need for it to not be airtight. What do you keep yours in?

These are the ones I ordered. Storage buckets. They are a perfect size.

Also, I was making this all the time but with baseball season hitting, I'm out of the habit. Thanks for reminding me how good it is. I'm going to make a new batch tonight!

Let me ask you all a question - how many loaves of bread do you actually get out of a standard batch of the master recipe (6.5 cups flour, 3 cups water, salt, yeast)?

I get 2 free form loaves though the recipe says I'm supposed to get 4. What about y'all?

Do you have to have the pizza stone to cook it?

Just wondering if anyone has done it w/out the pizza stone?

Thanks.

This is what keeps me from getting started. I have Pampered Chef stones, but I always thought you weren't supposed to use them as baking tiles (as in, just sitting in the oven without the food being on them). I thought tiles to just put in the bottom of your oven are different from the PC type baking stones. And the only tiles like that I've seen are upwards of $60.

If I can get started without spending that much on a tile, I just might have to give it a try.

This is what keeps me from getting started. I have Pampered Chef stones, but I always thought you weren't supposed to use them as baking tiles (as in, just sitting in the oven without the food being on them). I thought tiles to just put in the bottom of your oven are different from the PC type baking stones. And the only tiles like that I've seen are upwards of $60.

If I can get started without spending that much on a tile, I just might have to give it a try.

You do bake the bread on the stone. There's a few recipes where you use a breadpan, or other baking pan, without using a stone at all, but for the majority of the recipes the dough is *right on* the baking stone. It's why you'll also need to buy a pizza peel (I got mine for $10) for the dough to rise on, then you slide it off the peel and onto the stone that you put in the oven during the pre-heat.

Let me ask you all a question - how many loaves of bread do you actually get out of a standard batch of the master recipe (6.5 cups flour, 3 cups water, salt, yeast)?

I get 2 free form loaves though the recipe says I'm supposed to get 4. What about y'all?

I usually get 4, but sometimes I make 3 so that they are larger.

I usually get 4, but sometimes I make 3 so that they are larger.

Interesting. I must just make big loaves. They don't feel big!

Since one batch makes two loaves for us, I'm considering getting a really big bucket for a double batch. I'm making dough every other day. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to have the dough last more than a couple of days.

The recipe gets even easier when doubled, too - no half tablespoons!

I make double batches as well, so I can make larger loaves.

There are several You Tube videos of the authors demonstrating the technique used for the master recipe, if anyone is curious to find out what it all looks like before they invest in the book. :)

The recipe gets even easier when doubled, too - no half tablespoons!

Good point! I felt like such a bonehead yesterday, trying to halve a recipe. "OK, half a half tablespoon...that's...wait...a tablespoon is three teaspoons, so half of half of that..."

Good point! I felt like such a bonehead yesterday, trying to halve a recipe. "OK, half a half tablespoon...that's...wait...a tablespoon is three teaspoons, so half of half of that..."

I finally just looked it up and wrote in my book that 1.5 tablespoons equals 4.5 teaspoons so that I can do it no matter where I am. I'm lucky that I have a "yeast measuring spoon" that is 2 1/4 teaspoons, which equals a packet of yeast. So I just use two of that and I've got 1.5 tablespoons.

Clear as mud? Yeah, for me too. That's why I wrote down the conversions.

I think you can also use unglazed terra cotta tiles bought from a gardening center or hardware type store if you are not actually laying bread on them. They replicate a brick oven. I have already turned it back to the library, but James Beard's book on baking bread talks about his buying tiles cheaply at the neaby store.

I think you can also use unglazed terra cotta tiles bought from a gardening center or hardware type store if you are not actually laying bread on them. They replicate a brick oven. I have already turned it back to the library, but James Beard's book on baking bread talks about his buying tiles cheaply at the neaby store.

Alton Brown also suggests using unglazed tiles you can buy at gardening or home improvement stores. I set off one weekend for what I thought would be a simple trip to Home Depot to buy a tile. After checking at every hardware, gardening, and flooring store in 3 towns, I finally gave up! At the Home Depot, they told me they occasionally had them, but a new pizza place just bought their entire inventory!

Alton Brown also suggests using unglazed tiles you can buy at gardening or home improvement stores. I set off one weekend for what I thought would be a simple trip to Home Depot to buy a tile. After checking at every hardware, gardening, and flooring store in 3 towns, I finally gave up! At the Home Depot, they told me they occasionally had them, but a new pizza place just bought their entire inventory!

Maybe this is why I overheard someone saying they just bought the bottoms to terra cotta pots instead. I guess I need to watch for them myself. I also assummed that when I wanted them I could just go buy some.

So, how would you cook the bread using an unglazed tile like that if you're not putting the bread on them? :confused: (Can you tell I'm not a cook? :tongue_smilie:)

Silly question: do you use both of them for the standard recipe (~6c flour)?

:confused:

No, I use one per batch. I usually make a batch and a day or so later I make the second batch. I prefer it when it has "worked" for a day or two so doing it this way keeps one more matured than the other batch. When I finish one I make a new batch and keep them rotating.

If you don't notice a difference, you could make a double batch. I just think it tastes better after a day or two in the refrigerator. I keep my current batch on one shelf and the newer one on the next shelf down. If no one moves them around, which is a big no no, then I always know which one to use.

I use a stainless steel bowl and plastic wrap and it works great. I also just bake on a baking sheet. It might be better on a stone, but my family isn't complaining. :) Was amazed at how good the WW bread was. My anti-WW bread dh even enjoyed it. Used the same dough to make herbed flat bread, hamburger rolls, pizza crust and calzones.

I only get 2 1/2 loaves out of each batch. We eat big. :)

No you don't need a pizza stone. I've made mine in a round Pyrex oven dish, and it was still good.

Thats a great idea!! I do not have a pizza stone either. I have used my dutch oven for a round loaf and that turned out fine. Lately, I've just been using loaf pans. The rise time seems a bit longer in the loaf pan (using 1 1/2 lb dough rather than 1) and the cook time is a bit longer too.

I use a stainless steel bowl and plastic wrap and it works great. I also just bake on a baking sheet. It might be better on a stone, but my family isn't complaining. :) Was amazed at how good the WW bread was. My anti-WW bread dh even enjoyed it. Used the same dough to make herbed flat bread, hamburger rolls, pizza crust and calzones.

I only get 2 1/2 loaves out of each batch. We eat big. :)

That's a great idea too!! I'm averaging about 3 loaves per batch. But, I'm using a regular loaf pan to bake in.

Pumpkin Oat Whole Wheat is in the fridge as I type!!

I'm really impressed with Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. After the pumpkin loaf, I'm going to try a mixed grain from that book.

I didn't have a stone when I started and I just baked it on a plain ol metal oven tray.

Now I have a stone, but I don't use a pizza slide, I use baking parchment for it to rise on and then I put it straight on the stone as is. It seems to work fine, and I did notice on one of the videos that the authors did, they were doing the same.

I did read somewhere that you can put it on the stone with the parchment and then partway through, pull the parchment out. I must try that some time.

I made caramel cinnamon scrolls last week, mmmmmmmm