Menu

Reformed?

So, long story short: I think I am becoming Reformed/Calvinist/whatever you want to call it. I know there are some others on here, so I hope I can find some help.

I have been a Christian for a long time, grew up in a Christian household with Christian parents, asked Jesus into my life in 1996. Been a member of various denominations, none Reformed: (Methodist, Christian, Southern Baptist, non-denom) - very Arminian.

Well, through a series of events, I started exploring the Reformed traditions several months ago. Watching YouTube videos of John Piper, Mark Driscoll, Matt Chandler, etc.

I bought Grudem's Systematic Theology, haven't read most of it yet though. Have the ESV Study Bible, done some reading at Monergism.com, watching/listening to a lot of sermons from Mars Hill Church in Seattle. It never did before, but now it just "makes sense" to me. We even started attending a Presbyterian church! (PCUSA)

(Yes, that's the short version!)

I came to realize that there are many types of Calvinist, but if I had to label what I think I am (or very close to) it would be the following:

Credo-baptist, continuationist, Reformed Christian

Anyone else? Do you have any more resources for me that I could read/look at online?

I also have been reading Gospel-Powered Parenting, and we did get The Jesus Storybook Bible for the girls.

I haven't been at this long, and I don't know what i'd label myself other than a completely-enamored-with-Jesus Christian, but if you like:

John Piper, Mark Driscoll, Matt Chandler, etc.

Then I suggest you check out John MacArthur. His commentary is excellent, my ESV study bible is a J. MacArthur one. I like Piper, but JM's writing style flows better for me and I love his stuff. "He Still Moves Stones" by Max Lucado fascinated me, and anything by CJ Mahaney, particularly his book titled "Humility".

On-line sermons by Allistair Begg are great too. He's got an Irish accent that makes listening to him all the more intriguing. LOL

I haven't been at this long, and I don't know what i'd label myself other than a completely-enamored-with-Jesus Christian, but if you like:

Then I suggest you check out John MacArthur. His commentary is excellent, my ESV study bible is a J. MacArthur one. I like Piper, but JM's writing style flows better for me and I love his stuff. "He Still Moves Stones" by Max Lucado fascinated me, and anything by CJ Mahaney, particularly his book titled "Humility".

On-line sermons by Allistair Begg are great too. He's got an Irish accent that makes listening to him all the more intriguing. LOL

I second John MacArthur. :)

Don't forget RC Sproul. We love his teachings---makes the complex understandable. His son, RC Jr., does a lot of speaking on the homeschool circuit also.

BTW: PC-USA is the liberal branch of the PC. They have both female & h*m*s*xual pastors. The conservative ones are PCA & OPC.

I agree with others that you may want to read books by MacArthur and Sproul.

Okay, looked at my shelves. We are Calvinists. I don't like to use 'Reformed' to describe our beliefs, but I'm not going to get into all that here. This is the list of books I have found most helpful in strengthening my faith and helping me to sort out what I believe. Though I'm sure most people realize this, I also want to add that I do not agree with everything in these books--but in general they are helpful for those who want to explore Calvinism and Reformed doctrine. I linked these to CBD, but some are cheaper on Amazon, so you may want to compare, and even consider buying used.

Since the Westminster Confession of Faith is one of the key documents of Reformed churches, a book that helps you understand it is a good place to start. I like this one best--

The Reformed Faith: An Exposition of the Westminster Confession of Faith by Robert Shaw

http://www.christianbook.com/reformed-faith-exposition-the-westminster-confession/robert-shaw/9781845502539/pd/502539?item_code=WW&netp_id=530936&event=ESRCN&view=details

This one I use with my kids and its good, but not quite as in depth--

The Westminster Shorter Catechism for Study Classes by G. I. Williamson

http://www.christianbook.com/westminster-shorter-catechism-for-study-classes/g-i-williamson/9780875525211/pd/2521X?item_code=WW&netp_id=297151&event=ESRCN&view=details

The following 2 books are also helpful for good explanations about Calvinism--

The Sovereignty of God by A. W. Pink

http://www.christianbook.com/the-sovereignty-of-god/arthur-pink/9780882704241/pd/704241?item_code=WW&netp_id=486277&event=ESRCN&view=details

The Five Points of Calvinism: A Study Guide by Edwin H. Palmer

http://www.christianbook.com/the-five-points-of-calvinism/edwin-palmer/9780801069260/pd/69262?item_code=WW&netp_id=150178&event=ESRCN&view=details

For Bible commentary from a Calvinist point of view I prefer Matthew Henry over all others. To start with you can use his shorter commentary which is abridged, but still very good. My Ds (12) also uses it. I use his complete commentary which is either a 3 or 6 volume set depending on the publisher. If you decide to buy one of these, DO NOT buy one that claims to be completely unabridged and costs around $20-$25. I made that mistake. It has teeny-tiny print that cannot be read without a major magnifying glass! The two I linked are the two I use almost daily.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary of the Whole Bible ISBN: 0785250476

http://www.christianbook.com/matthew-henrys-concise-commentary-whole-bible/matthew-henry/9780785250470/pd/50470?item_code=WW&netp_id=299481&event=ESRCN&view=details

Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible, 6 Volumes ISBN: 1598564358

http://www.christianbook.com/matthew-henrys-commentary-whole-bible-volumes/9781598564358/pd/564365?item_code=WW&netp_id=621715&event=ESRCN&view=details

I have also read Experiencing God's Presence by Matthew Henry -- I think it was originally one of his sermons. Not sure it exactly addresses Calvinism or Reformed doctrine, but I thought it was very good. I found it at a thrift shop.

Hope this list gives you some ideas.

Shannon

Sorry the Matthew Henry links aren't working. I'm adding the Isbns so you can look up the exact ones I linked.

Edited by shanvan

Personally I like Reformed only because to me "Calvinist" makes me feel like I am following the teaching of a man as opposed to Jesus. I know that isn't the case, but it just kinda feels that way to me, if it makes sense.

Yeah, I knew John McArthur is a cessationist, but I will still look into his stuff.

Keep 'em coming!

Personally I like Reformed only because to me "Calvinist" makes me feel like I am following the teaching of a man as opposed to Jesus. I know that isn't the case, but it just kinda feels that way to me, if it makes sense.

Good point. I also don't agree with everything labeled 'Calvinism" so I shouldn't be completely comfortable with that label either, but it does give a general idea where our beliefs lie. "Reformed' has so many different meanings and is changing church by church daily, that I don't really like to use it. I hadn't thought about the term "Calvinist", the same could be said for it too. I suppose I just don't like labels.:001_smile:

Good point. I also don't agree with everything labeled 'Calvinism" so I shouldn't be completely comfortable with that label either, but it does give a general idea where our beliefs lie. "Reformed' has so many different meanings and is changing church by church daily, that I don't really like to use it. I hadn't thought about the term "Calvinist", the same could be said for it too. I suppose I just don't like labels.:001_smile:

Youa re so right... the definitions get kind of hazy. I consider myself a calvinistic baptist. :D ALthough I usually say reformed baptist, the other is actually closer to the truth.

I am sure someone has already suggested it but the must-read book is "Desiring God" by Piper...or anything by Piper. Other favorite authors are Edwards, Spurgeon, DeYoung, Driscoll and I love the Resurgence and Together for the Gospel blogs.

Youa re so right... the definitions get kind of hazy. I consider myself a calvinistic baptist. :D ALthough I usually say reformed baptist, the other is actually closer to the truth.

I am sure someone has already suggested it but the must-read book is "Desiring God" by Piper...or anything by Piper. Other favorite authors are Edwards, Spurgeon, DeYoung, Driscoll and I love the Resurgence and Together for the Gospel blogs.

I forgot, I think I downloaded an eBook of "Desiring God" for my Kindle! I also read "Youg, Restless, and Reformed."

The terms are not really interchangeable. All Reformed are Calvinists, but not all Calvinists are Reformed. RC Sproul has written a book about Reformed Theology that might give you the basics. Calvinism is *one part* of Reformed Theology.

Oh. I was completely unaware of this...I thought they were basically the same...

:001_huh:

Fwiw, I prefer "Doctrines of Grace Baptist." I really shy away from any terms that refer to men or the ideas of men. The doctrines of grace are Biblical so I find that more to my liking.

ETA: I found this book to be helpful in articulating my beliefs: Are Baptists Reformed? by Kenneth Good.

Edited by Kathleen in VA

Oh. I was completely unaware of this...I thought they were basically the same...

:001_huh:

I have found that many people use the term *reformed* very generically. Reformed Theology is worth reading about because it encompasses many things, *one* of which is Calvinism (using that term for simplification). I am only sharing this to point out to you that it is common for two people to say they are *reformed*, but that does not mean that they both believe the same thing.

Sorry if that confuses. :lol:

I have found that many people use the term *reformed* very generically. Reformed Theology is worth reading about because it encompasses many things, *one* of which is Calvinism (using that term for simplification). I am only sharing this to point out to you that it is common for two people to say they are *reformed*, but that does not mean that they both believe the same thing.

Sorry if that confuses. :lol:

She is exactly right. There is a difference. Calvinist refers specifically to your soteriology. Reformed encompasses a lot more including your views on baptism, eschatology, and your system of hermeneutics (and some other things!). Many people use the terms interchangeably though.

The terms are not really interchangeable. :iagree:

All Reformed are Calvinists, but not all Calvinists are Reformed.

The second statement is highly debatable. Many reformed churches are moving away from Calvinism and some have completely abandoned it. Then there are others that label themselves 3 or 4 point Calvinists. Then the argument becomes are you truly a Calvinist if you don't believe all 5 points? This has been a hot topic within our denomination and even within our local church. It's all very confusing because when someone uses either 'reformed' or 'Calvinist' to define their views, they could mean lots of different things. You would have to ask a lot of questions to really pin down the meanings of the terms.

Shannon

The second statement is highly debatable. Many reformed churches are moving away from Calvinism and some have completely abandoned it. Then there are others that label themselves 3 or 4 point Calvinists. Then the argument becomes are you truly a Calvinist if you don't believe all 5 points? This has been a hot topic within our denomination and even within our local church. It's all very confusing because when someone uses either 'reformed' or 'Calvinist' to define their views, they could mean lots of different things. You would have to ask a lot of questions to really pin down the meanings of the terms.

Shannon

I don't disagree with you, which is why I posted again. I was referring to *traditional* definitions in that post. You are correct, these terms are being *customized* at every turn.

In addition to MacArthur, Pink, Piper, Begg, and others mentioned, we also really like Paul Washer. And books and sermons by Mark Dever. Dever's ministry called 9 Marks (9 Marks of a healthy church) has a nice directory by zip code to help you find a church.

We also love to listen to Todd Friel on his radio show called Wretched. We also like Phil Johnson (who is the exectutive director of John MacArthur's Grace to You ministry) a devoted blogger about Charles Spurgeon. There's a TON of resources online by Phil at the linked website.

Welcome to the dark side!:tongue_smilie:

We also like Phil Johnson (who is the exectutive director of John MacArthur's Grace to You ministry) a devoted blogger about Charles Spurgeon. There's a TON of resources online by Phil at the linked website.

Welcome to the dark side!:tongue_smilie:

When I realized I was Calvinist (I know the terms are debatable, but I am a credo-baptist, so I cannot say I am Reformed) I had no idea where to go to learn more about the Doctrines of Grace. I just knew that all of the sudden my pastor (who, interestingly enough had become Reformed after a prolonged break due to illness) started preaching a series of sermons called "What must I do to be saved" and all the sudden it seemed like everything came into focus. The discontent I had regarding my faith disappeared. I knew nothing about Calvinism, but I knew that somehow I needed to learn more about whatever it was my pastor was preaching about. I believe the Lord led me (I have no other explanation about how I stumbled upon his website) to Phil Johnson's websites (before he had his blog) and it's a great directory to all things Reformed/Calvinist. I read and read and read and learned so much.

:hurray:

this is me happy to find this thread!

God has used Pastor MacArthur a lot in our lives. There are so many free resources on the Grace to You site (gty.org). You can do searches about any Bible verse, you can search most topics. Their search function works well. All his sermons are free and you can listen to them online, read the transcripts, or download them.

There is an entire sermon series entitled "Doctrines of Grace". You can access it here: http://www.gty.org/Shop/Audio+Series/280_The-Doctrines-of-Grace

You can purchase it, or there are options (listed in red text) to listen, read or download, which are all free.

There is also a Shepherd's Conference currently going on at Pastor MacArthur's church. Tomorrow is the final day. You can watch the stream live at: www.shepherdsconference.org/live/ And I believe they will soon post the archives of this year's conference on-line too.

If you look at tms.edu (which is the Master's Seminary, the seminary at Pastor MacArthur's church), there is an alumni link where you can search for graduates from the seminary all over the world. It is a good start for looking for a church.

"To God be the glory, great things He has done. So loved He the world that He gave us His son!"

Edited by just Jenny

I would also thrown in there as a resource:

http://www.tnars.net/

My daddy, Bill Bauerle, teaches at and helps oversee this free, reformed seminary. They are gaining more and more recognition for their courses. If you are interested in learning more, he is always happy to talk to people about these things that he holds so dear. :D

Edited by carrie_irene

Anything by Tim Keller is excellent. Podcasts of his sermons are free on itunes and they are excellent. They are the sort of sermons you will want to listen to again and again. Really!

I like Steve Brown, but he is an acquired taste. He might be offensive to those who are more works oriented and don't know it.

If you twitter, one of my favorite people to follow is Scotty Ward Smith...a pastor who tweets as series of "You know you are growing in grace when..." type posts. Short, but very deep.

Paul Tripp is also excellent as is Tullian Tchividjian, Billy Graham's grandson and pastor of Coral Ridge PCA.

You've been give so many great resources already, but I will add a few:

Putting Amazing Back into Grace by Michael Scott Horton

- an easy read, not scholarly, but clear.

Redemption Accomplished and Applied by John Murray

- short but weighty

Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin - well worth reading even if you disagree with some important things! Very heart-oriented.

Read what Calvin actually wrote, in context, rather than what others have written about what he wrote!

Also Banner of Truth Trust publishes some excellent older reformed titles, many in inexpensive paperback.

All three of the large reformed seminaries have great bookstores (Westminster, RTS and Covenant).

There are at least five PCA churches in Colorado Springs!

PCA is the middle ground on conservative presbyterian churches and far the biggest, OP is to the right and EP to the left, just a bit and they are fewer.

Edited by ScoutTN

Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin - well worth reading even if you disagree with some important things! Very heart-oriented.

Read what Calvin actually wrote, in context, rather than what others have written about what he wrote!

There was a fun blog I was reading last year called Coffee with Calvin - and he posted on Facebook too. He would just read a section of the Institutes and discuss, kind of like chatting with a friend about it. He stopped in November and I didn't find out why.

Wow thanks for the outpouring of information! I knew I could count on you all. :D

I forget to mention I am also complementarian.

Re: churches in CO Springs, do you know if any of them are large churches with contemporary worship? Thanks!

And would my beliefs be closer to a Calvinist Baptist, or a Presbyterian?

Also, I ran across PCNA (Presbyterian Church in North America) - anyone that can comment on that?

I would prefer a more conservative church, I think. I am not good with female and gay pastors...no offense to anyone though.

TIA!

I just say reformed because it's easy.

You might want to check out Douglas Wilson too. He's a bit controversial among some groups, but worth reading.

A bit controversial? That is a huge understatement, in my opinion.

What exactly are you hoping to accomplish in you desire for more to read? How has your faith changed? Are you hoping to solidify or clarify your new understanding?

Also, not so sure PCUSA churches fall under the category of reformed. PCA, most definitely.

Personally I like Reformed only because to me "Calvinist" makes me feel like I am following the teaching of a man as opposed to Jesus.

Calvin would not be happy about the use of the term either. :001_smile:

My favorites are Sinclair Ferguson and Steve Brown. Tenth Presbyterian in Philadelphia has a weekly web cast of their Sunday sermons. They have just called a new pastor, but he doesn't start till May, meanwhile you'll still hear God's Word preached. I work for The Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, we have some good stuff posted at our site.

Hi Jennifer,

I am relatively new here, but I noticed there is a group for reformed believers in the Community section of this forum. The group is called "the dark side". I'm not sure how they chose that name.

Yeah, I hear it again and again. Someone said "welcome to the dark side," in this thread. I'm wondering where that comes from, and what does it mean.

A bit controversial? That is a huge understatement, in my opinion.

What exactly are you hoping to accomplish in you desire for more to read? How has your faith changed? Are you hoping to solidify or clarify your new understanding?

Also, not so sure PCUSA churches fall under the category of reformed. PCA, most definitely.

Sorry, I must have missed this one! In the OP I was using Reformed and Calvinist interchangebly, but now I think I am just leaning Calvinist.

As far as change, I was a big free will person. Now God's sovereignity seems much more important.

I am looking for books and websites because this is all pretty new to me, and while I agree with much of what I have read/seen thus far, I want to learn as much as I can so I can know for sure where my beliefs line up.

Also, wanted to repost this, didn't get much of a response toward it.

Wow thanks for the outpouring of information! I knew I could count on you all. :D

I forget to mention I am also complementarian.

Re: churches in CO Springs, do you know if any of them are large churches with contemporary worship? Thanks!

And would my beliefs be closer to a Calvinist Baptist, or a Presbyterian?

Also, I ran across PCNA (Presbyterian Church in North America) - anyone that can comment on that?

I would prefer a more conservative church, I think. I am not good with female and gay pastors...no offense to anyone though.

TIA!

Edited by tntgoodwin

Well you sound closer to a calvinist baptist to me. :D

What is that based on? I am not terribly clear on the differences, except the following:

I like the idea of elder-led churches, as opposed to congregationalist.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with consuming alcohol in moderation.

I don't believe in baptizing babies, or sprinkling.

I am not big on "confessions" or catechisms.

So, I feel like this: :confused:

What is that based on? I am not terribly clear on the differences, except the following:

Hmmm... well, credo-baptist vs. paedo-baptist makes me think "not reformed" but you will also need to decide where you come down on your eschatology (premill? postmill? amill?). Most reformed traditionallly were postmill or amill but that is changing as well. And another distinguishing mark tends to be your view on dispensationalism vs. covenantalism. Reformed falls under covenantal theology.

However, the Westminster Confession is big in reformed circles so that might be an issue for you. And elder-led churches come in all shapes and sizes.

I believe in the doctrines of grace (calvinist).

I am a credo-baptist (baptist).

I am a dispensationalist (premill, pretrib and literal interpretation of the bible...definitely not reformed here).

I have no problem with legal consumption of alcohol in moderation. (not very baptist-like I'm afraid).

I have no problem with creeds/confessions.

So the closest thing to me is calvinist baptist but that isn't entirely accurate either. But it's close. I am a work in progress!

My church is loosely associated with the Southern Baptist Conv. We affirm the Doctrines of Grace, are elder-led, our teaching pastor preaches and teaches expositionally, and we are credo-baptist. No BonJovi music to start the service. No pastors with jeans and t-shirts. No topical sermons about how to have your best life now. :D

We have what we call Core beliefs, like the gospel and the sovereignty of God. Then there are Characteristic beliefs, that characterize us as a church body, but other Christians might have different beliefs, like credo-baptism. Then we have Charity beliefs that we think scripture is less clear on so lets not be devisive about. Like eschatology or alcohol, things like that.

I wasn't hung up on finding So Baptist, but my dh was, so there ya go. I looked at Bible churches, Ev Free, and many others. Often it just wasn't that clear. When we found our church, it was plainly stated on the website that they affirm Doctrines of Grace, so that was a great start and told us a lot. But it's frustrating when so many churches have a very generic statement of faith. Yes, obviously the gospel is the most important, but surely these churches have other important things they affirm, right? That's why I was glad to find resources like 9 Marks, or john MacArthur's seminary alumni search.

I looked at the 9 Marks website and found one, just as an example, in Colorado Springs. But you can also google expository preaching for your city and churches where that is important should pop up. That would be a good place to start.

The "dark side" thing was just a term that was coined to be funny originally by Heather in NC, right Heather? Personally I think it fits, and has nothing to do with dark forces or anything like that. This is not meant to be offensive at all...but there are so many that go to these huge bible churches and hear these topical "themey" book based sermons, that get NO deep understanding of scripture or who God is at all. It's all about the love and being accepting and understanding to everyone. If you affirm the Doctrines of Grace, you are saying we are incapable of saving ourselves, we must have God's grace calling us to Him, and not everyone is called. And you might come across as more academic in your scripture study because you really get into digging in deep into God's word and not just finding all the neat little scriptures that go with your sermon on "patience" or whatever. You are into Hermaneutics. You read books like Systematic Theology for fun. It's the Dark Side! :D

Heather, it sounds like you and I oughta go to the same church!