Menu

Do you like bread pudding? No? Yes? Read my post before you vote, please!

Tell me what you think about bread pudding!  

1. 1. Tell me what you think about bread pudding!

• I've tried it and I like it.
    • I've tried it and I don't like it.
    • I've never tried it, but I would be willing to.
    • I've never tried it, and won't, because it sounds disgusting.
    • I'd try a version called Chocolate Bread Pudding.
    • I'd try a version called "Chocolate Fudge Pudding Cake."
    • I wouldn't try a chocolate version no matter what you called it--it still sounds gross!
    • I don't eat dessert.
    • Other (just in case!).

I have never met a bread pudding I didn't like. It is #2 on my favorite desserts list, second only to tiramisu. I would try the chocolate pudding thingy if nothing else caught my eye, but I would jump on some chocolate bread pudding (unless you had tiramisu, of course).

I use to put bread pudding on the menu all the time and it always sold well!

Gosh, I've made so many versions... dried cherry and vanilla, warm chocolate bp with mint tuille cookie and c.a., Grand Marnier bp with whipped cream and candied almonds etc. I ♥ bread pudding!

Oooh, I just remembered one of my favorites! Gianduja Chocolate which is an Italian hazelnut chocolate (think Nutella!) and it makes an awesome bread pudding!

That said, I'll take the flourless chocolate cake instead every time.

Yes, but I'm so T I R E D of making it! :tongue_smilie:

The chocolate lava cake and the flourless chocolate have lost their appeal to me, but customers complain when their old favorite isn't there. I just want to make something NEW that's chocolatey!

And I too would be annoyed if it was called something else - bread pudding is bread pudding - be upfront about it and let folks choose for themselves.

Ah, but first you'd have to know one of the ingredients was bread, and I don't think you would by the time I'm finished. There's a reason the chef gets to name their own dish--it truly is what they call it. Sometimes naming a dish themselves allows a chef to be more accurate about what they're serving, rather than less accurate. I think that's probably the case here. :001_smile:

Part of it is knowing your venue & your customers. I live in a very rural area, and while Apple Creme Brulee doesn't necessarily sell, Creamy Apple Custard with sauteed Apple Chunks and caramelized sugar topping does. Same dish, more descriptive or accurate naming. ;)

But I am sure your chocolate version would be wonderful.

Until I started making bread pudding as part of my professional responsibilities, I thought it sounded really disgusting, and would not have volunteered to eat any. It helped me, when I started making it, to think of it as a "french toast casserole" served warm with creme anglaise. That's what it tastes like, only better than I ever dreamed. :drool5:

So, I'm wondering what *you* think of bread pudding?

I'm thinking of making a very chocolatey version, and I'm very sure it's going to be absolutely *to die for*. Would you try it?

You can vote for more than one selection in the poll.

Thanks!

So the thing with bread pudding that I think is not so great is the texture - too mushy. Have I just been eating bad bread pudding or is it always this way?

If you get a good egg bread, Challah, or brioche, and tear it into chunks, by the time it soaks up the custard it's more like a very rich french toast. And the top is all chunks of torn bread so some is caramelized and crunchy and it goes so well with the rum sauce.

Ohh this is very bad. I feel the need to make it for Easter.

Wouldn't a savory version be stuffing?

Or a strata?

It tastes a lot like a stuffing or a strata, but the egg keeps it from being a stuffing. It all holds together - you can't toss it like you can toss stuffing. And a strata has layered slices of bread, not chunks that were soaked and tossed with the egg and milk first. Savory bread pudding does taste almost identical to strata though. The structure's really all that's different. Like a layered lasagna versus a baked macaroni dish.

I misread this as "savory venison." And I was inordinately excited about the idea of venison bread pudding.

I'd eat that! :tongue_smilie: