Menu

Which house should we choose?

We are facing another move in May. We feel that we have boiled down our housing options to two choices. I would love your opinions and insight to help us make this decision.

Option #1 - Living close to dh work. We would also be living close to people that my dh works with. The house is TERRIBLE and in a less than desirable neighborhood. Very small and old (1950's). But, dh could come home for lunch sometimes and we would be closer to grocery stores and doctors offices. We would obviously save money on gas.

Option # 2 - Living about 25-30 minutes away from dh work. The house is absolutely gorgeous!!! and is in a wonderful, family-oriented neighborhood. We would be away from dh during the day, but could drive to see him for lunch approx. 1-2 per week. Dh's job will be one that we would need to entertain some and this house makes it so easy to do that. Much more comfortable to live in daily and much more spacious. And, dh really appreciates being away from work and fellow-workers.

I guess I am trying to decide how to weigh our pros and cons. We have a long list for both options. The prices for both are within our comfort level, but the first option costs less.

How do we decide? What would you do?

I choose option 2.

It's so important to feel comfortable in your surroundings on a day to day basis so you're not walking around the house thinking about all the things that need to be fixed. I don't mean our houses have to be perfect, but if there are major issues with the first house, I would be inclined to go with something that doesn't need much work.

Plus, the neighborhood makes a big difference. To be able to open your front door and let the kids run out to play is a huge blessing.

Being 25-30 minutes away from work isn't too bad, IMO. People around here regularly commute 45 to 60 minutes each way. If you plan your grocery trips well, you can get all your errands and appointments done in one afternoon a week.

#2, no question.

Even though my house isn't perfect I still like it. When we bought this house 7 years ago we looked at another house that on paper was better for our family but I hated it. I drive by that other house a few times a week and I am always SO glad that I chose our house.

Go with your gut!!

Blessings,

Elise in NC

House number 2. We chose to live by my husbands work once and it didn't work out. The reality was that once he got out of the office and home, then back to the office he didn't have much time for lunch so he rarely came home after the first month or two.

I would actually think long and hard about it. When you say the neighborhood of house #1 is "less than desirable", what exactly does that mean?

We struggled with the same problem the last time we moved. We had a 30 minute commute at our previous house which got to be a major drag, especially during the winter and when gas prices would peak. Think about how much more money you'll be spending if gas gets close to $5 per gallon at house #2!

When we moved to our current location, we ended up settling less than 5 minutes from my dh's office. He starts work in the morning at 8AM. He leaves at 755! He comes home for lunch everyday except on days he has lunch meetings and the kids love it! We definitely could have lived in a more exclusive neighborhood with newer houses (ours is one of the newest and it was built in 1966), but the one we live in is perfectly adequate and safe with a good mix of families, seniors and singles. The school district is kind of middle of the road so most families opt for private school.

Is the price difference enough where you could make house #1 "gorgeous" like #2 and still come out ahead if you did some improvements?

We are facing another move in May. We feel that we have boiled down our housing options to two choices. I would love your opinions and insight to help us make this decision.

Option #1 - Living close to dh work. We would also be living close to people that my dh works with. The house is TERRIBLE and in a less than desirable neighborhood. Very small and old (1950's). But, dh could come home for lunch sometimes and we would be closer to grocery stores and doctors offices. We would obviously save money on gas.

Option # 2 - Living about 25-30 minutes away from dh work. The house is absolutely gorgeous!!! and is in a wonderful, family-oriented neighborhood. We would be away from dh during the day, but could drive to see him for lunch approx. 1-2 per week. Dh's job will be one that we would need to entertain some and this house makes it so easy to do that. Much more comfortable to live in daily and much more spacious. And, dh really appreciates being away from work and fellow-workers.

I guess I am trying to decide how to weigh our pros and cons. We have a long list for both options. The prices for both are within our comfort level, but the first option costs less.

Number 2. This is easy - you live in a house 24/7...lunch with hubby would be what? one hour a day? Go with being in a nice house/area 24/7 and make an effort to go have lunch with hubby once or twice a week.

Like I said - easy.

There was a house we were looking at... the lot was gorgeous, like a park. The house made me want to cry. I thought about ways to "fix it up," make it liveable, add-on... nothing made it better.

Due to the land, it was at the higher-end of our price range -- so there wasn't a whole lot I could do with the money.

To put this into perspective, we've been living in about 1000 sq. ft. of partially-finished basement for 9 years. And moving to THAT 2000 sq. ft. house made me want to cry?

It was then I realized that land didn't mean as much to me as the house.

I vote for #2... because you will probably be happier.

I'd go with Option 2. That's still a short commute. I think you'd find yourself wanting to move out of Option 1 very quickly.

#2...get a fuel efficient car if you can and ask around to see if there are any car pool options for commuting to work.

One hour per day for lunch isn't enough of a draw and your home, is your home. Plus, investing in a home in a less than desirable neighborhood can be bad as an investment.

Faith