Menu

iPad 2 Announced

Steve Jobs just announced the new iPad 2.

It will be really thin (thinner than an iPhone), lighter, with a much faster processor, two cameras (front and real) and an HDMI output for HDTV.

A 16 gig WiFi only version will be $499. ships March 11.

Bill

I just went and watched the video about it on Apple.com. Honestly, it doesn't look like there's very many changes. The best two things is that it is thinner and lighter....plus faster. There's no USB and it didn't mention anything about printing capabilities (and if it had them, you would think it would have mentioned it because that would be a major selling point).

I've been holding out on getting an iPad to wait for the second version....now I'm not so sure about getting one. Not much different.

ETA: They did add a camera on both the front and the back, but this is not a selling point at all for me. I'm not going to hold up an iPad to be taking photos of things.

ETA: They did add a camera on both the front and the back, but this is not a selling point at all for me. I'm not going to hold up an iPad to be taking photos of things.

The big draw there is to be able to use the iPad for "FaceTime" or "Skype."

It will also "shoot" 720P HD video and there is a iMovie editing app. Maybe not the most practical video camera in the world, but wow!

Bill

I'm glad I waited. Garage Band and IMovie were two apps on my oldest's wish list. He also is excited about the dual cameras.

My brother has a 1st generation and I love it but I kept telling myself to wait just a little bit longer.

Cannot wait to get one. Will be after we get Christmas paid off though.

There is a cool feature coming with iOS 4.3. It seems if you have an iPhone 4 you can use it to have a "personal hot-spot" to connect a WiFi only iPad to the Internet. I hope (assume) that includes original iPads. Fingers crossed.

That is cool.

Bill

OK. That's something I don't get. I do not want to look at anyone while I am talking on the phone and I don't want anyone looking at me. Nice for grandparents and kids , but eewww otherwise. ;)

The big draw there is to be able to use the iPad for "FaceTime" or "Skype."

It will also "shoot" 720P HD video and there is a iMovie editing app. Maybe not the most practical video camera in the world, but wow!

Bill

OK. That's something I don't get. I do not want to look at anyone while I am talking on the phone and I don't want anyone looking at me. Nice for grandparents and kids , but eewww otherwise. ;)

I imagine it will provoke arguments over "etiquette" in the near future.

Is it rude that so-and-so won't "face" me? ;)

Bill

I was sort of hoping it would be one of those "has more bells and whistles AND it's cheaper!" upgrades, like some of the iPods have been. I'd take an iPad if someone gave it to me, and use it every day, but I just can't justify the price when I have an iBook and an iPhone.

However, I wonder how much the first generation iPads will cost now, like on eBay? If I could buy a first generation iPad for $350, I'd be inclined to save up my pennies for that.

My mom bought me an ereader for Christmas which didn't work out, so I returned it. She has encouraged me to choose a different one. Maybe I could ask her to give me the cash to put towards a first generation iPad? Hmm.

Wendi

We just bought a 1st generation iPad (64GB, Wi-Fi) - and yes, we knew the new ones were coming out any day. Our plan is to have two though. We used it last night to score ds#1's baseball game (iScore) and the boys have been playing educational apps on it. I just tried out Kindle on it and found it a pleasant experience. I'm excited about getting a new one too though - especially in white. The new one will have to be 3G though (no iPhones here ... we're taking what we would spend a month in cell bells to have iPhones and applying that towards the iPad instead - we have cheap, non-texting phones instead).

On the features page, it did mention being able to print from it wirelessly. I also like the idea of using the Apple TV little box for schooling and want to look more into the HDMI port/cable accessory. Dh and I have been talking about how to use the iPad as a SmartBoard at home. Dh is also interested in using one in his classroom hooked up to this projector in place of a SmartBoard. It seems the possibilities are pretty endless ... (or at least I'm telling myself that to justify buying another one! :lol: )

I can't imagine using it for ordinary phone conversations, but I have many friends and relatives who live far, far away, and my dh travels frequently - Skype is a huge blessing - I love being able to see faces - it makes me feel much closer to them.

Anne

I think it's great...for everyone but me. lol I will totally want to see my grand kids someday. :) I do understand it's a wonderful tool.

I can't imagine using it for ordinary phone conversations, but I have many friends and relatives who live far, far away, and my dh travels frequently - Skype is a huge blessing - I love being able to see faces - it makes me feel much closer to them.

Anne

I imagine it will provoke arguments over "etiquette" in the near future.

Is it rude that so-and-so won't "face" me? ;)

Bill

LOL Noooooo! Of course it will mean the end of people answering their cell phones when they are in the bathroom. :tongue_smilie:

I hope.

Edited by LibraryLover

There is a cool feature coming with iOS 4.3. It seems if you have an iPhone 4 you can use it to have a "personal hot-spot" to connect a WiFi only iPad to the Internet. I hope (assume) that includes original iPads. Fingers crossed.

That is cool.

Bill

You do have to pay extra to your cellular provider for that service, though. Verizon charges $20/month (on top of the $29.99 data plan).

Wendi

I even have stickers over the webcame on my computer. That story about the school spying on kids has made me paranoid. :lol:

This reminds me of a review I read that compared an ipad with a camera to taking a picture with a clipboard.:lol:

I like my ipad, but I just haven't used it much... It's great for keeping the kids entertained on a plane. I need to find some more uses for it, I guess.

My kids do tons of video stuff, but they are WAY past wanting to use imovie for editing or a built-in camera for recording.

I think (but don't hold me to it) that it has the same sort of port as the old version. No true USB II direct transfers. I could be wrong, but that is what I'm gathering.

Bill

It's not physically thick enough to handle a regular usb connector. Perhaps a micro usb, but I don't know. Even a micro is almost 2mm think.