Menu

Who's off to a farmers' market today?

Or, maybe you went during the week - that counts. Or maybe you're growing you're own food - that counts. Or maybe you're a member of a CSA - that counts.

But, the rest of you? Make it happen, people! :D

Try to shop with the people who you know aren't just buying product and reselling (hint: if they're selling something that seems out of season for your area, there's a good chance they didn't grow it!). Go!...now....and support your local farmers.

Stepping down from my soap box and hoping I don't slip on the way down.;)

But, the rest of you? Make it happen, people! :D

because we are still enjoying the bounty of our CSA box which we picked up on Thursday.

And I feel healthier with this major injection of fresh, local, real food in our diets.

Preach it, sister!

Jane

Our first year with a CSA also and I am so excited! Hopefully next year we will also be groing a few things ourselves and have chickens.

I just finished a beautiful book about eating locally, "This Organic Life: Confessions of a Suburban Homesteader", if anyone needs any encouragement.

Most everything at our farmer's market is brought in from the valley... pretty far away! It helps cut out one layer of distribution, but we're still not dealing directly with the grower. I guess that's the nature of living in an urban area... the farms are not nearby and it's easier and more profitable for the farmer to sell his crop to a distributor who brings it to town.

The other problem is the distance... it costs me about $10 in gas to drive to our farmer's market. The local grocery store, HEB, buys their produce from local growers - they support local growers as much as possible. HEB headquarters is much closer to the valley where so many of the farms are. So, when HEB buys from the valley and distributes it to our local store, I am getting the same produce for about the same price in a more fuel efficient way.

Just wanted to point out that depending on where you live and what your local offerings are, if you are trying to be concientous about this sort of thing (supporting local growers, reducing impact on environment re: fuel, etc.) sometimes the local grocer is the better option!

There is no real, bonafide farmer's market in the greater Houston area... not one where there are a variety of vendors and each vendor is the producer of his wares. :(.

Just wanted to point out that depending on where you live and what your local offerings are, if you are trying to be concientous about this sort of thing (supporting local growers, reducing impact on environment re: fuel, etc.) sometimes the local grocer is the better option!

Yep. I'm all for farmers' markets, but there are local grocers who sometimes offer local produce, within greater proximity.

Try to shop with the people who you know aren't just buying product and reselling (hint: if they're selling something that seems out of season for your area, there's a good chance they didn't grow it!). Go!...now....and support your local farmers.

We have a splendiforous farmers' market, right in the heart of town. Near the water; near good shops and restaurants; near the food co-op. It's open Saturdays from April through October. But the reality at this time of year, in this neck of the woods, is that very little is available in the way of produce. The starts in my own little greenhouse are putzing along at a slow pace, thanks to the lack of sun and warmth. The same is true for farmers who sell at the market. They'd have to have large, heated (read: fuel-gobbling) greenhouses in order to grow much in early May.

The farmers' market, during this season, is more of a gathering place, a place to grab a bite of cooked food, a place to look at other, non-edible wares. Each week there's a bit more produce available, but so far it's limited. If that's the case here, in Western WA, I imagine it's true for many other regions, too.:)

But the reality at this time of year, in this neck of the woods, is that very little is available in the way of produce.

. Each week there's a bit more produce available, but so far it's limited. If that's the case here, in Western WA, I imagine it's true for many other regions, too.:)

Actually, ours did not have much this morning either. There were several vendors selling plants, though. I bought a bunch of herbs and two tomato plants to stick in my flowerbed.

During the off season our farmer's market is just where you go to get your milk!

Not me, but I wish!

I have a filthy cold (insert whine) and it's pouring down rain. I'm thankful for the rain, but the folks who are in charge of the farmer's market, Mayfest, Faithfest and the festival a town over are probably suffering.

I really, really, REALLY want some strawberries right now, too! *sob!*

We have a number of Farmers' Markets locally. Even with so many local farms, we still have lots of booths that aren't locally grown. Their prices aren't great and the produce can be from as far away as Mexico.

Most everything at our farmer's market is brought in from the valley... pretty far away! It helps cut out one layer of distribution, but we're still not dealing directly with the grower. I guess that's the nature of living in an urban area... the farms are not nearby and it's easier and more profitable for the farmer to sell his crop to a distributor who brings it to town.

The other problem is the distance... it costs me about $10 in gas to drive to our farmer's market. The local grocery store, HEB, buys their produce from local growers - they support local growers as much as possible. HEB headquarters is much closer to the valley where so many of the farms are. So, when HEB buys from the valley and distributes it to our local store, I am getting the same produce for about the same price in a more fuel efficient way.

There is no real, bonafide farmer's market in the greater Houston area... not one where there are a variety of vendors and each vendor is the producer of his wares. :(.

Ours open's today. I am planning on doing the bulk of my food shopping there this year!

What all is sold at your market? I don't know that I've ever been to a farmers' market that would allow me to buy the bulk of my food necessities. Or were you talking primarily about produce?

We have a number of Farmers' Markets locally. Even with so many local farms, we still have lots of booths that aren't locally grown. Their prices aren't great and the produce can be from as far away as Mexico.

We have that problem too. When I ask "Where was this grown?" the vendors often look at me like I have two heads.

And when I ask a local vendor about their growing practices they get very, very defensive. Last year there was only one vendor who grow organically, and they are elderly and cannot grow a great variety. I always hit their booth first and then go find the other local growers next. I ignore the trucked-from-who-knows-where vendors.

In response to Colleen,

Interesting! As far as I know, milk isn't sold at our farmers' market.

The Mennonite dairy sets up at most of the local farmer's markets. They come to ours on Saturdays. Fresh milk in old fashioned glass bottles, fresh butter, free-range eggs; year round, rain or shine!! It's the best stuff!!!

We have that problem too. When I ask "Where was this grown?" the vendors often look at me like I have two heads.

And when I ask a local vendor about their growing practices they get very, very defensive. Last year there was only one vendor who grow organically, and they are elderly and cannot grow a great variety. I always hit their booth first and then go find the other local growers next. I ignore the trucked-from-who-knows-where vendors.

Same experience here. Glad I'm not the only one getting those looks.:glare: I got so excited when someone mentioned the CSA memberships. Our CSA will be Organic, pretty good price and has lots of variety. Truly, I can't wait to try some new veggies that I wouldn't normally bother with. (Price, will they eat it, hey can I cook these giant green things!)

The Mennonite dairy sets up at most of the local farmer's markets. They come to ours on Saturdays. Fresh milk in old fashioned glass bottles, fresh butter, free-range eggs; year round, rain or shine!! It's the best stuff!!!

Oh, man... I'm jealous. *Really* jealous.

There is one group in Houston trying to do a true farmer's market, with all organic... which is nice, but the prices are about 2X-3X higher, selection is limited, and it costs way too much for me to drive down there. There is an organic produce coop nearby, but their source is the same company who delivers organic produce to the grocery stores. I can get local eggs, there, though. That's about it. Unfortunately, pick up dates are the same afternoons as dd's violin lesson, so we can't participate anymore.

Our closest farmer's market (which is held at the dairy where we buy our milk) doesn't open until the end of the month. I've been working hard on my garden and putting in lots of edible perennials (blueberries and rhubarb, and we planted 2 paw paw trees and 2 dwarf apple trees) this spring, though, and we're going to go pick tons and tons of strawberries for jam next weekend. And we got chicks in january who should start laying eggs anytime now!

Kelli, sorry for being so pushy. That's so unlike me. :lol:

I guess I'm a wee bit out of touch with when markets open in other states. It has been cold, so of course, pickins' would be slim if the market is even open in colder areas. Sometimes I forget little details like, um...geographical differences.

Here, we're heavy in greens (lettuce, spinach, arugula) and asparagus, and I came home with an abundance of all of them. I also bought a potted basil with several plants in it that I'll separate and transfer to my garden. Baguette from the French Baker (local baker, but not local wheat :)), and a bouquet of dogwood and fuscia given to me by the "plant lady" at the end of market. Such a great feeling to look around my house and see evidence of all their hard work.

No milk at our market. The dairy laws here make selling milk directly a tricky proposition. But, we do have good cheeses. And one of our farmers will have strawberries next week!!!

Hey, did anyone notice that I just mentioned I'd be planting basil IN MY GARDEN? Yes, it's finally ready to go. Dh got the dirt for it this morning (had to import some topsoil/compost mix to get the bed raised above sea level so it won't drown). I'm hoping to get some additional plants to go in this afternoon.

Glad to know others of "us" get excited about fresh produce. Thanks for sharing my enthusiasm.

I just got back from the farmer's market. I bought enchiladas and a plant for dh's grandma's b-day tomorrow. Last time I went I bought buffalo burgers and jerky. I didn't have time to look around at the produce since we were there selling boulders and photos.

I did sell a photo today--my second. Both photos were from the series I took of my neighbor's controlled burn. It doesn't sound very exciting that I've sold just two prints at $10 each, but I'm just happy that people are stopping to look and seem to like my pics. Every little girl who walked by pointed and said, "Oh Mommy! Look!" to my horse eye and pic of 11yodd with horse. That alone was enough to make my day:001_smile:

I stopped at two different farmstands on the way home from work today. I was bummed to find out that the second one imports much of it's stuff from FL!! (we're in NC) After reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, I'm trying to hard to stick with local produce.

We didn't join a CSA this year because they were all full by the time I went to sign up. Oh well! Next year......

Guest Virginia Dawn

I went to a local farm yesterday, picked and purchased 8 quarts of strawberries. Yum!

I also went to a small, family owned nursery just two blocks away and purchased bedding plants and jalapeno plants. does that count?

From my own garden I picked lettuce and chewed on cilantro leaves. :-)

What all is sold at your market? I don't know that I've ever been to a farmers' market that would allow me to buy the bulk of my food necessities. Or were you talking primarily about produce?

But our market offers mussels, crab, steamers, salmon, sausage, bakery items, honey, unique pasta's as well as produce (among many other things). We have cut out most meat out of our diet, so I really can get most of my shopping done there.

We did go today- but the rain got progressively worse, so I didn't get to hit all the vendors. I did pick up honey, steamer clams, spinach fettucine, a couple loaves of bread, and some cute handmade bibs for our new daughter. I bought produce at the grocery earlier in the week (forgot the market was starting this weekend:tongue_smilie:).

If you are planning on coming to the WHO Conference this year- the market is just down the street in Puyallup-you should check it out:D. It's open on Saturdays and Sundays. I love the diversity of this market- although I don't have a lot to compare it to.

However, chicks are arriving from the hatchery on Tuesday and I'm getting the garden ready. Peas will be planted today (I hope).

We've planted 6 nut trees already and I stocked up on bee attracting flowers at the greenhouse yesterday. Most exciting this year - our community is starting a grain CSA. In the fall, weather willing, we'll be getting sacks of wheat and oats.

I wish we could buy milk at our farmer's market when it opens next month.

We've been eating lettuce and spinach from our garden for several days now. Other than baby kale, there isn't anything else ready to eat from our gardens. But lots of things are planted!! :)

Our first batch of chicks for the year will be shipped Wednesday. The 10 new layer-chicks will live in our basement for a couple weeks. The 25 meat birds will live outside in the brooder house that dh is working on as we speak. Girls inside; boys outside! ha.

We are also getting closer and closer to the time to get our milk cow. Just 2-3 more weeks or so and she should come here to her new home :lol:

We've been eating lettuce and spinach from our garden for several days now. Other than baby kale, there isn't anything else ready to eat from our gardens. But lots of things are planted!! :)

Our first batch of chicks for the year will be shipped Wednesday. The 10 new layer-chicks will live in our basement for a couple weeks. The 25 meat birds will live outside in the brooder house that dh is working on as we speak. Girls inside; boys outside! ha.

We are also getting closer and closer to the time to get our milk cow. Just 2-3 more weeks or so and she should come here to her new home :lol:

You get a prize!! :D