Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week nine

This looks interesting. It's not the first in the series. Have you read others? Do you recommend them?

I haven't read anything else by this author... but I am planning on it. I've already placed her other books on hold at my library, if that says anything about how much I enoyed The Passion of Artemisia. It was one of those books that I was disappointed to finish because I wasn't ready to walk away from the story.

I really liked No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. I reviewed it here, on my blog. I don't think there are any spoilers in my review. :tongue_smilie:

I actually stopped reading the book. I'm not a mystery/detective book fan.

It will redeem YA books for you. They are nothing alike -- I hated Twilight too; I loved The Book Thief. BTW, in Australia (where The Book Thief was originally published & the author's home country), The Book Thief was published as an adult book. It was only when the book came here to the US that it was marketed as a 'YA' book. I think that's a shame because there will be lots of adults who miss reading this one because it's labeled as YA.

I got my dad to read the book, and he was surprised that it was a YA book. I am too. I love that book.

You all will understand the pain. I save books on my "To Read" list on my library account. I had 94 books on the list. Last night I meant to delete one book, and instead I ended up deleting the whole list. It's gone. Sigh.

Edited by Kleine Hexe

You all will understand the pain. I save books on my "To Read" list on my library account. I had 94 books on the list. Last night I meant to delete one book, and instead I ended up deleting the whole list. It's gone. Sigh.

:eek:

:grouphug:

Oh no!! :grouphug::grouphug: I understand that feeling. I am so, so sorry.

I have started adding things to my list at the library online, amazon wishlist, and PBS...just because things like that always happen to me. :glare:

I hope you can remember most of them. :grouphug:

I really liked No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. I reviewed it here, on my blog. I don't think there are any spoilers in my review. :tongue_smilie:

I've read the entire series, but started way back so didn't read them all in a row. I'm waiting for the next one to appear. I like the voice, etc. I don't care for his other series at all, but I do like La's Orchestra.

That makes me feel ill just thinking about it. Maybe the librarian can find it somehow?

Oh no!! :grouphug::grouphug: I understand that feeling. I am so, so sorry.

I have started adding things to my list at the library online, amazon wishlist, and PBS...just because things like that always happen to me. :glare:

I hope you can remember most of them. :grouphug:

I do have a list that I just started on Amazon from this thread. It doesn't include any of the books from the library list though. Nothing like a fresh start, eh?

I finished Angelology and posted my review here. Having a giveaway, two copies, courtesy of the publisher so come on over and enter to win. Interesting book to say the least.

Patricia Brigg's River Marked just arrived, so started it of course. Forgot who mentioned "Disconnected Kids". It arrived today as well and look forward to reading it.

Just finished:

12. The Axe

11. The Bank of Dad

10. Life among the Savages

(previously finished)

9. Falls the Shadow by Penman

8. Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod by Gary Paulsen

7. Run by Ann Patchett

6. Here Be Dragons

5. Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

4. The Sunne in Splendor

3. The Bridge at Valentine

2. A Christmas Carol:

1. Help For The Harried Homeschooler

Carrying on with Susan Howatch. Still reading the second in the Starbridge series, Glamorous Powers; still very impressed with the quality of the writing.

Yesterday I began reading a lovely little book,

0802069150.jpg.

Originally produced by the British Museum, published on this side of the pond by University of Toronto Press, this little volume is rather fascinating. Techniques, materials and design are discussed as well as guilds and the practice of the craft among both men and women.

Forgot who mentioned "Disconnected Kids". It arrived today as well and look forward to reading it.

Be sure to tell us what you think about it. Looks interesting. Let me know if it says anything about Sensory Processing Disorder.

Finished The Year 1000 last night. It was an interesting and simple read. It tied in nicely with history as we are doing the Middle Ages. It was very neat to actually recognize the names of the rulers and know who they were. I'm learning so much from SOTW! I'm also watching the history of England's monarchy on Netflix and I'm not lost or confused. I get excited and tell DH, "I knew that already." :)

Montaigne here I come. I'm throwing a party when I finish his Essays!

Edited by Kleine Hexe

Carrying on with Susan Howatch. Still reading the second in the Starbridge series, Glamorous Powers; still very impressed with the quality of the writing.

Yesterday I began reading a lovely little book,

0802069150.jpg.

Originally produced by the British Museum, published on this side of the pond by University of Toronto Press, this little volume is rather fascinating. Techniques, materials and design are discussed as well as guilds and the practice of the craft among both men and women.

Re: Susan Howatch ... Yay!

Re: Embroiderers ... it looks beautiful! Is it a series? "Medieval Craftsmen" or an only book? ETA: It is! But pricey :(

Edited by ladydusk

Re: Embroiderers ... it looks beautiful! Is it a series? "Medieval Craftsmen" or an only book?

A series apparently. On the back cover, some other titles are listed: Glass-painters, Masons and Sculptors, Painters. I borrowed this book from my library which also has the Masons and Sculptors book--not sure about the others.

This would be a great resource for students studying the Middle Ages. The book is about 70 pages long, has lots of gorgeous photos, solid scholarship. The ISBN is 0-8020-6915-0 if you are interested.

ETA: Hold the presses! I just discovered that my library has several other volumes in the series: Scribes and Illuminators, Goldsmiths, English Tilers. Ooh-la-la! I will investigate these and report back!

Edited by Jane in NC
More info!

ETA: Hold the presses! I just discovered that my library has several other volumes in the series: Scribes and Illuminators, Goldsmiths, English Tilers. Ooh-la-la! I will investigate these and report back!

Totally jealous, none of the local libraries seem to have them :( Maybe could ILL ..

Some of you are really impressive with how many books you've tackled already. Wow!:)

I am still reading The Count of Monte Cristo and really enjoying. I've slid a couple of other books in there too.;)

Last night I finished Still Alice-a fictional account of a woman with early onset Alzheimer's Disease. My dad has the same diagnosis so it was particularly touching for me.

My list so far this year:

Still Alice

The Passion of Mary Margaret

The Cellist of Sarajevo

The Book Thief

One Thousand Gifts

Room

The Girl Who Played with Fire

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Her Daughter's Dream

Re: Embroiderers ... it looks beautiful! Is it a series? "Medieval Craftsmen" or an only book? ETA: It is! But pricey :(

Now I have Howatch's first book on hold, supsended until June, and Embroiderers on hold through the virtual catalog because I embroider (or at least I used to? Crewel work with wool, the real deal;), but my own designs and not crafty stuff.)

Now I have Howatch's first book on hold, supsended until June, and Embroiderers on hold through the virtual catalog because I embroider (or at least I used to? Crewel work with wool, the real deal;), but my own designs and not crafty stuff.)

If you mean the first book in the Starbridge Series, she also has several standalone books that are well written and may not be in such demand ... Wheel of Fortune, Cashelmara, The Rich are Different are all longer novels that are wonderful too.

If you mean the first book in the Starbridge Series, she also has several standalone books that are well written and may not be in such demand ... Wheel of Fortune, Cashelmara, The Rich are Different are all longer novels that are wonderful too.

I have no idea which books are which since I didn't pay much attention to her until the Embroider's post. Hmm, I ordered one from 1965. Is that from the series? They aren't in demand, I suspended the hold because I have so many other things to read before then. I can do this on my own. I'm first in line for it, but don't want it until then.

I have no idea which books are which since I didn't pay much attention to her until the Embroider's post. Hmm, I ordered one from 1965. Is that from the series? They aren't in demand, I suspended the hold because I have so many other things to read before then. I can do this on my own. I'm first in line for it, but don't want it until then.

Hm, OK. Here's her bibliography from Wikipedia:

• The Dark Shore (1965)

• The Waiting Sands (1966)

• April's Grave (1967)

• Call in the Night (1967)

• The Shrouded Walls (1968)

• The Devil on Lammas Night (1970)

• Penmarric (1971)

• Cashelmara (1974)

• The Rich Are Different (1977)

• Sins of the Fathers (1980)

• The Wheel of Fortune (1984)

The Starbridge Series

• Glittering Images (1987)

• Glamorous Powers (1988)

• Ultimate Prizes (1989)

• Scandalous Risks (1990)

• Mystical Paths (1992)

• Absolute Truths (1994)

The St. Benet's Trilogy

• The Wonder Worker (US title) / A Question of Integrity (UK title) (1997)

• The High Flyer (2000)

• The Heartbreaker (2004)

1965 would be The Dark Shore which is one hers I haven't read. While I like her earlier work, the stories are very much more romantic-suspense (similar in genre to Mary Stewart, I'd say).

Jane is reading from the Starbridge books, which are a really wonderful series dealing with the church of England. The stand alone books I would recommend are anything from Penmarric on. They deal with richer, more intricate themes and tend follow families from generation to generation.

Hm, OK. Here's her bibliography from Wikipedia:

1965 would be The Dark Shore which is one hers I haven't read. While I like her earlier work, the stories are very much more romantic-suspense (similar in genre to Mary Stewart, I'd say).

Jane is reading from the Starbridge books, which are a really wonderful series dealing with the church of England. The stand alone books I would recommend are anything from Penmarric on. They deal with richer, more intricate themes and tend follow families from generation to generation.

Thanks, I'll switch to the series. I read Mary Stewart in high school at times and am not interested in those kinds ob books. I did grow up in the Anglican church, though.

Hi Karin,

Ladydusk echoed an enthusiasm for the Starbridge series, something that I first heard via one of my old high school pals with whom I have a snail mail correspondence. I must say that given your interest in theology, I suspect you would enjoy these books.

But I understand the ever growing library list with the limited number of hours in the day one can read. Sigh...

Jane

Hi Karin,

Ladydusk echoed an enthusiasm for the Starbridge series, something that I first heard via one of my old high school pals with whom I have a snail mail correspondence. I must say that given your interest in theology, I suspect you would enjoy these books.

But I understand the ever growing library list with the limited number of hours in the day one can read. Sigh...

Jane

Hi Jane,

It's on hold for mid May (changed my mind about when to get it.) I also have an interest because one of my favourite Biblical scholars was a high Anglican priest (even though I am in a whole different kind of church now.)

10 y/o dd and I finished "Sounder" and are now reading "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" together.

I finished reading "Zipporah, Wife of Moses" and I'm almost done with "At First Sight" by Nicholas Sparks.

My daughter is reading the third book in the Emily Windsnap series on her own.

Thanks, I'll switch to the series. I read Mary Stewart in high school at times and am not interested in those kinds ob books. I did grow up in the Anglican church, though.

I think this is wise. You might wonder what we were thinking if you started with the earlier books. I *like* them, they aren't bad reading, mind, but she's *known* for the Starbridge/St Benet's books.

I just don't want people to lose sight of the family saga books which are also well worth reading IYKWIM. She has three distinct periods in her writing, the second and third are rich reading. The first is entertaining, but would probably not be available or known were it not for the second two ...

So I just finished 321 Money Plan...interesting easy money ideas for saving, spending ect. I enjoyed it.

Now I am working on InkDeath but it is so slow and hard to get into even though I really enjoyed the first book in the series. Also just started The Accidental Demon Slayer, a free kindle book that looks like interesting fluff. It's my dd is throwing a fit can't leave but need to ignore her book on the go.

I finished All the Names by JosĂƒÂ© Saramago. Brilliant book. It's the best book I've read in quite awhile. To a certain extent, Saramago reminds me of Kafka... but a kinder, gentler, wittier Kafka. To be sure, there are certain things that may put off a typical reader: the author crafts some extremely long sentences (sometimes almost a page long) and doesn't use quotes or paragraph indentations. Even so, I highly recommend tackling this book. The author has some wonderful ideas to ponder, esp. in our day & age of extreme interconnectedness, yet also extreme loneliness.

This review on amazon reflects a lot of my thoughts about the book too:

"5.0 out of 5 stars

A modern-day Don Quixote on a Kafkaesque journey, June 11, 2005

By D. Cloyce Smith (Brooklyn, NY) (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

This review is from: All the Names (Hardcover)

The Kafkaesque hero of "All the Names" works mindlessly for the mindless bureaucracy known as the Central Registry, the office of records for the population of an unnamed country that is presumably Portugal. "The Central Registry only wants to know when we're born and when we die . . . whether we marry, get divorced, widowed or remarried, the Central Registry has absolutely no interest in finding out if we were happy or unhappy. . . . For them we're just a few pieces of paper with a few names on it."

Yet Senhor Jose (ironically the only person with a name in "All the Names") tries to instill life into the routine inhumanity of his profession. When we initially meet him, he is keeping a scrapbook of the 100 most famous people in his country, and he supplements his hobby by illicitly (and in violation of official policy) sneaking into the Registry at night to collect the records for these celebrities.

Then, one day, he accidentally picks up a card of an anonymous, random woman--someone whose life and happiness are foreign to tabloids and magazines. His inexorable obsession (who is she? where does she live? what is she like?) snaps him out of his meaningless existence and propels him, like a modern-day Don Quixote, on a bizarre, increasingly absurd journey to find out what he can about her. His regulation-breaking pursuit motivates him to fabricate credentials, to burglarize a school, to sleep in a cemetery that mirrors the Registry (except that it houses only the dead), and eventually to invite the attention of his superiors.

Dense and ponderous, Saramago's unpunctuated prose is, remarkably, seldom dull; what's extraordinary about this book is the suspense, the tension, the humor, and the sarcasm that keeps his narrative moving. There is almost a noir atmosphere behind this story, as the reader nervously follows a man who, drowning in a sea of daily tedium, can't resist the impulse to find the humanity behind "all the names" he files away in the registry. In the end, his rebellion restores integrity to his own life as well."

I've also started Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of a Black Buddhist Nun by Faith Adiele & am enjoying it.

"Product Description

A wry account of the road from Harvard scholarship student to ordination as northern Thailand's first black Buddhist nun.

Reluctantly leaving behind Pop Tarts and pop culture to battle flying rats, hissing cobras, forest fires, and decomposing corpses, Faith Adiele shows readers in this personal narrative, with accompanying journal entries, that the path to faith is full of conflicts for even the most devout. Residing in a forest temple, she endured nineteen-hour daily meditations, living on a single daily meal, and days without speaking. Internally Adiele battled against loneliness, fear, hunger, sexual desire, resistance to the Buddhist worldview, and her own rebellious Western ego.

Adiele demystifies Eastern philosophy and demonstrates the value of developing any practice—Buddhist or not. This "unlikely, bedraggled nun" moves grudgingly into faith, learning to meditate for seventy-two hours at a stretch. Her witty, defiant twist on the standard coming-of-age tale suggests that we each hold the key to overcoming anger, fear, and addiction; accepting family; redefining success; and re-creating community and quality of life in today's world."

I finished Fall of Giants and The Little Prince. I started Winds of War, and I'm still chipping away at Franklin and Winston and the first Harry Potter.

happy reading!

lisa

How did you like Fall of Giants? I enjoyed Follet's World Without End, and Pillars of the Earth, and wondered how Fall of Giants compared.

IMO Fall of Giants was nowhere near as good as Pillars. I think because the era is so familiar I the characters seemed more like cartoonish archetypes than people. I loved Pillars, and I'd recommend Fall (for all it's faults it's a breazy nice read), but the books don't compare, sadly.

IMO Fall of Giants was nowhere near as good as Pillars. I think because the era is so familiar I the characters seemed more like cartoonish archetypes than people. I loved Pillars, and I'd recommend Fall (for all it's faults it's a breazy nice read), but the books don't compare, sadly.

Thank you---

I loved the epic feel of Pillars and World Without End was hoping Fall of Giants would be just as engrossing.

I'm reading Four Fish this week. Only about 20% into it, but I'm enjoying it. It reminds me of Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food and Botany of Desire, so if you liked those, you'll like this one too.

Thanks. I've only read Food Rules and loved Food, Inc. Added these titles to my wish list.

I loved the epic feel of Pillars and World Without End was hoping Fall of Giants would be just as engrossing.

Me too. I'm sure I'll still read Fall of Giants, but I have to say that it's quite disappointing that it won't be as good as his other two.

I finished Fall of Giants and The Little Prince. I started Winds of War, and I'm still chipping away at Franklin and Winston and the first Harry Potter.

happy reading!

lisa

Reading The Little Prince was torture for me. So boring and just plain weird for a kids book.

I read 2 more Grace Livingston Hill books. I don't know why I read them, the plot is always the same. Rich man, poor holy girl. :tongue_smilie: I'm reading Decontructing Penguins which is very interesting - it's about teaching literary analysis to kids. I also have 2 more books like this on my pile this week: Teaching Literary Elements with Picture Books and Using Picture Storybooks to TEach Literary Devices. For fun, I'm reading the Forgotten Garden.

I liked Pillars, but was tired of the saga partway through the second one, so skipped a great deal of it. It could be the stages of my life, too. I read Pillars when it was new, and didn't try the second one until a year or two ago.

In Progress:

Where the Indus is Young

Drawing A Likeness (Graves)

Inner Fish

A Guide to the Birds of East Africa

Nan in Mass Running List:

Light Thickens (Ngaio Marsh) - Macbeth theme, which is fun.

Tied up in Tinsel (Ngaio Marsh)

Final Curtain (Ngaio Marsh)

The New Global Student - again, just as annoying as ever but comforting while the youngest is in Japan

Grave Mistake (Ngaio Marsh)

Bloomability - young adult, nice

Sense and Sensibility - for the umpteenth time

A Rulebook for Arguments - this is a great book - it answered my questions about writing a persuasive paper

Study is Hard Work

Reader and Raelynx

Starfarers

Transition

Metamorphosis

Nautilus - 5 books of vacation fluff - Could do without the graphic bits, although they were easy enough to skip. The Starfarer series is a bit strange in spots and R+R was a bit too close to straight romance, but not so bad that I didn't finish it.

Creating Textures in Pen and Ink with Watercolor - guess there is a lot more black than I thought

Paying the Piper - more vacation reading

-Nan

Book 9 was Scattered by Gabor Mate. It was intriguing. Some of the author's recommendations seemed to stem more from how he would want to be treated than the best interests of the individual with ADD. It reminded me of a young child saying that they will never make their own children go to bed or take a bath. His story was poignant, and it's a different perspective than I've read in the past. I've also declared a moratorium on any books that will remind that I will inevitably screw up my children.

Book 10 was Amy Chua's Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. I ended up really liking her "voice" in this. There's quite a bit of sardonic, self-deprecating humor. I think that a lot of the strongest responses I've seen to her book and the WSJ article were from people who didn't read the same sly tone into the writing. I don't agree with a lot of her methods, but I liked the book, and I think I like her.

Book 11 was Bake Slow and Sure by Franklin LaCava, which is a combination of a history book about an adjacent county and a recipe collection. Technically, I think I'm only counting this as half of a book, because about half of it is recipes. It has been a nice "living" introduction to this part of Pennsylvania's history.

My 12 year old is doing the challenge this year and set her goal at 75 books. She has already read 25. *sigh* To be a kid and have the time to read for hours! She powered through the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy in 10 days and read Much Ado About Nothing twice in two days. I am a teensy bit jealous. Ok, a lot jealous! I remember those days.

Edited by LaissezFaire
Edited because she is 12 now, not 11!

Finished:

1. The Secret Life of Houdini: the Making of a Superman by William Kalush

2. 13 Treasures by Michelle Harrison

3. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

4. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

5. Blink: the Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

6. The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux

7. Phantastes by George MacDonald

Working on:

8. Napoleon's Buttons: How 17 Molecules Changed the World (LeCouteur)

9. Boneshaker (Priest)

10. Cloudsplitter (Banks)

11. Winter's Tale (Helprin)

12. The Man Who Thought His Wife Was a Hat (Sacks)

I'm behind now and have too many long books (Cloudsplitter, Winter's Tale). I need to push through the last 70-90 pages of Napoleon's Buttons and move on to some shorter reads.

This week I am reading Janet Frame's- Faces in the Water.

Very good, and typical Janet Frame style.

So far this year:

1. Mockingjay

2. Le Morte D' Arthur (way too much head chopping)

3. Voyager - Diana Gabaldon

4. Garden Spells - S. Allen (fun but simple)

5. Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men - Donald McCaig (Very good)

6. The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck (fantastic)

7. This Time of Darkness - H. Hoover

8. The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield (ok)

9. Paganism: An Intro to Earth Centered Religions (very good & eye opening)

10. Make a Mix

11. Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King (good in the typical King fashion)

12. Drums of Autumn - Diana Gabaldon (ok, I am hooked into this series- a guilty pleasure :tongue_smilie: )

13. Faces in the Water - Janet Frame

I completed the George W. Bush memoir Decision Points, which I found candid and interesting. His sense of humor shone through nicely.

I also finished The Last Station by Jay Parini--- historical fiction about Leo Tolstoy's last year of life. Parini based the book on diaries and writings of those living with or employed by Tolstoy during his last years: his wife, daughter, personal physician, secretary, etc. I thought it was very well done.

I also finished The Last Station by Jay Parini--- historical fiction about Leo Tolstoy's last year of life. Parini based the book on diaries and writings of those living with or employed by Tolstoy during his last years: his wife, daughter, personal physician, secretary, etc. I thought it was very well done.

I read "The Last Station" earlier this year and I really liked it, too. Mrs. Tolstoy gave me a whole new understanding of the term 'fishwife.' :001_smile: