Menu

murder/mystery/supense books...any suggestions.

I am looking for murder/mystery books for my mom to read. She loves the show The Mentalist and I think that is really the type of murder/mystery books she is thinking of...not heavy on violence or gore and with colorful but realistic characters.

Any suggestions? I know all of you are good to recommend books so thought I would ask here.

thanks

I am looking for murder/mystery books for my mom to read. She loves the show The Mentalist and I think that is really the type of murder/mystery books she is thinking of...not heavy on violence or gore and with colorful but realistic characters.

Any suggestions? I know all of you are good to recommend books so thought I would ask here.

thanks

Elizabeth George has a great series w/Peter Lynley as the main character.

Read them in order, tho. b/c the characters develope throughout the books.

Alan Bradley has a mystery series with 11 yr. old Flavia de Luce as the main character. Even though a child is the main character, I don't consider these books for children. I love these books. They are funny and entertaining. Some say that Flavia is irritating but I absolutely love her. The first book in the series is "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.'

Alan Bradley has a mystery series with 11 yr. old Flavia de Luce as the main character. Even though a child is the main character, I don't consider these books for children. I love these books. They are funny and entertaining. Some say that Flavia is irritating but I absolutely love her. The first book in the series is "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.'

Colleen Coble: The Rock Harbor Series (read in order)

Anne Perry: The William Monk Series and the Thomas Pitt series

is she into historical murder mysteries?

The Falco series is set in Ancient Rome, at the time of Vespasian.(hey, this *is* a classical homeschooling board!) Falco is an 'informer'. Read the books in order. The first one is ok, but the fun really starts after that. Colourful personalities? Ah! Stereotypical italian family, with all its drama and numerous children... Poor Falco has his arms full keeping his family at bay ;-) And his wife is just too educated for him. :D

What I really like about this series is how modern the author Lindsey Davis makes the Romans. You should read the book that has to do with renovations... Delays, wrong materials, incompetent employees, bribes.. Sounds like modern constructions (at least locally).

Some of the books are a tad sadistic although you never read the actual murder, just the description of the aftermath. Death occurs 'off scene' just like in plays of old...

:iagree: (There are 3 books so far in this series -- the third one was just released this month.)

Dorothy Sayers?

Laura

Dorothy Sayers is wonderful. You can go way back to the first books with Peter or start with the stories that include Harriet (Strong Poison would be the first of these) or read them backwards and out of order and over and over and still enjoy them.

Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody books are good (I never got into the Vicky Bliss stories)

Ellis Peters' Brother Caedfael Mysteries (I've even enjoyed re-reading these)

Agatha Christie