Menu

s/o gas prices: what do you consider to be 'regular' gas?

What is 'regular' in your area?

I ask this question because my mom's pricing/idea of regular is different than mine.

The lowest ovel of octane in my area is 87.

The lowest level of octane in my mom's region is 85.

She considers the 85 octane to be regular. I don't. For me 87 octane would be regular.

There is a .15 cent difference between her idea of regular and my idea of regular.

Regular gas has lead in it. Leaded gas is what I think of when people refer to gas as regular. I haven't seen a station selling leaded gas in years. You have to have a really, really old car to use it. It may still be used in small engines, I have no idea. When I was driving my 66 VW Bug I put an additive into the tank to keep the engine running properly.

Unleaded gas is available in three different octanes here. I buy the lowest octane, which is 87.

:)

The lowest ovel of octane in my area is 87.

The lowest level of octane in my mom's region is 85.

She considers the 85 octane to be regular. I don't. For me 87 octane would be regular.

The lowest level available here is 87. We don't have 85, but I have seen it in other states.

ETA: I looked it up, and here gas is 87, 89 & 91.

Edited by gardening momma

:iagree: This.

Hehe. I was born in 85, so I'm too young to have any frame of reference other than varying levels of unleaded.

ETA: Oh... You're in Ohio, too. Makes sense that it would be the same.

Grew up in Michigan, and it was that way there too. I do remember when unleaded was new, and it was important to note whether or not your car needed unleaded or leaded gas.

Regular unleaded to me is 87

From Wiki about the octane levels:

United States: in the Rocky Mountain (high elevation) states, 85 AKI is the minimum octane, and 91 AKI is the maximum octane available in fuel[citation needed]. The reason for this is that in higher-elevation areas, a typical naturally-aspirated engine draws in less air mass per cycle because of the reduced density of the atmosphere. This directly translates to less fuel and reduced absolute compression in the cylinder, therefore deterring knock. It is safe to fill a carbureted car that normally takes 87 AKI fuel at sea level with 85 AKI fuel in the mountains, but at sea level the fuel may cause damage to the engine. A disadvantage to this strategy is that most turbocharged vehicles are unable to produce full power, even when using the "premium" 91 AKI fuel. In some east coast states, up to 94 AKI is available [2]. In Colorado as well as parts of the Midwest (primarily Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Missouri) ethanol-based E-85 fuel with 105 AKI is available [3]. Often, filling stations near US racing tracks will offer higher octane levels such as 100 AKI[citation needed] . California fuel stations will offer 87, 89, and 91 AKI octane fuels, and at some stations, 100 AKI or higher octane, sold as racing fuel. Until summer 2001 before the phase-out of methyl tert-butyl ether aka MTBE as an octane enhancer additive, 92 AKI was offered in lieu of 91.