Menu

My dough won't rise, now what???

I sat them on the counter with a kitchen towel over it for two hours and nothing. Now I have them in the oven on the lowest temp with the door cracked open, still not rising. Do I just have to throw it all away?:glare: This was my first try and I don't know what I did wrong.

Here is the recipe I followed:

http://www.food.com/recipe/100-Whole-Grain-Wheat-Bread-181106

It could be the yeast was old, or maybe the water was too hot & killed the yeast.

You can leave it overnight and see if anything ferments. It may rise over time. OTOH, you can bake it anyway. It will be dense, but maybe you could use for bread crumbs, or you can use it in soup. Put a slice on the bottom of the bowl and ladle the broth on top. The bread will soften. My kids love crusty bread at the bottom of a nice soup.

I just bought the yeast yesterday at Whole Foods.

The water wasn't hot because I mixed it just like the instructions said. It wasn't hot by the time the yeast packet was added.

Even if you bought it yesterday doesn't mean it's fresh. You have no idea how long it sat on the shelf. I normally buy mine from Sam's and never have problems. I was out and didn't want to drive across town so I picked up the exact same brand (with a year left until it's expiration date) at the grocery store. It barely rose. I use it for pizza crust since I don't need a lot of rise there. I no longer buy yeast at the grocery. Try a different brand/different store and buy more yeast.

I had this same problem twice in the last week, trying to make bread in my bread machine -- it didn't rise! A friend suggested that my yeast was no good, so I bought more (and the old wasn't expired, though it had been in the cupboard for a few months and she said it might be bad) and tried again..still nothing. Same recipe I used successfully several times before. (I've used the machine...five times?) Everything measured exact. Directions followed. I don't get it. :001_huh:

After you open the yeast, you need to refrigerate it.

Oh! I didn't know that, thanks. I'm kinda new at this - which might be obvious now :laugh:

There's something else awry too though because the 2nd try didn't rise...and that was brand new yeast, opened right before putting it in the machine.

Mine never rises either. I've attributed it to some rare atmospheric phenomena that exists only over my house. :lol:

When I recently gave it another go, or should I say 'no go', my mom suggested I make fried bread. She said her mom used to make it all the time when she was little. I warmed up 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 butter in a skillet, pinch off a little bit of dough and flatten it to about 3/4 inch thick and fry it. It is really yummy--tasted like sliced, warm bread.

Edited by my2boysteacher

Assuming you've ruled out everything already mentioned, you might be letting your bread dough get too dry. I know that, in my house, the air is pretty dry to start with, given that it's winter. If I make something like wheat bread, that is naturally a little drier than something like white sandwich bread, I need to cover it with oiled plastic wrap, not a towel. Otherwise, the surface gets so dried out it just doesn't rise. You could give that a try and see if it helps. I also leave my dough to rise on top of my preheated oven. Otherwise, it can take hours.

What do people mean when they keep saying "proof it"?

Nice warm water, some sugar, and some yeast. Keep it warm. It should start to bubble as the yeast eats the sugar.

Some recipes will have you do this each time you make bread. If you do, the water needs to be between 115-125 degrees F. Some recipes say you can combine with yeast with the flour mixture, and then add the hot water, which I prefer to do. I have read that the water can be hotter in that case, but I still keep it under 125 F. If I wasn't sure if my yeast was still good, I would proof a small amount of it, but likely not all of the yeast that the recipe requires. My theory is that proofing uses up some of the "oomph" of the yeast, giving less to the dough.

Just don't put salt in the water/sugar/yeast mixture. Add the salt to the flour instead. Salt slows down rising.

Some recipes will have you do this each time you make bread.

It is a left over from the old days when you needed "proof". The yeast now is much more reliable.

Personally, I like a long slow rise, and often do it on the back porch in cold weather or in the fridge. But, I'm probably a sicko.

Well, the kid's really liked it and have been eating it all day. I know it's not right though even if it is my first try. It was VERY dense. I wish that I knew someone that makes bread, so I could actually see what good homemade whole grain bread is supposed to taste/look like. :)

How long can you leave the dough out for the first rise? Can you leave it overnight and then punch, shape & do the 2nd rise in the morning and bake?

Google "the fresh loaf" you'll come up with a great bread baking resource. Also, Alton Brown illustrates beautifully how it should be done, too - I have his book, but I'd bet you could find a video on Youtube or Food Network. He changed the way I baked bread - for the (way, way) better. Honestly, his book was more helpful for me than even the Bread Bible and the Bread Baker's Apprentice (I know, some will gasp in horror LOL). When you get your first really good batch...you'll know it and you'll fall in love and be totally hooked. I SO wish I could still eat bread.

Some recipes will have you do this each time you make bread. If you do, the water needs to be between 115-125 degrees F. Some recipes say you can combine with yeast with the flour mixture, and then add the hot water, which I prefer to do. I have read that the water can be hotter in that case, but I still keep it under 125 F. If I wasn't sure if my yeast was still good, I would proof a small amount of it, but likely not all of the yeast that the recipe requires. My theory is that proofing uses up some of the "oomph" of the yeast, giving less to the dough.

Just don't put salt in the water/sugar/yeast mixture. Add the salt to the flour instead. Salt slows down rising.

All I know is my bread machine says to put the ingredients in exactly as listed (in the order) and to put the yeast in last, after making a small indentation with your thumb in the pile of stuff. I'm not sure when/where I would go mixing water/sugar/yeast...

I'm beginning to think it's much easier to just buy a loaf for two bucks. :laugh:

All I know is my bread machine says to put the ingredients in exactly as listed (in the order) and to put the yeast in last, after making a small indentation with your thumb in the pile of stuff.
To do this you must be using instant/rapid rise yeast (like SAF), not active dry. What kind of yeast did you purchase? Because its granules are larger, active dry yeast must be "proofed" first by activating in warm water, and about 20% more is required if converting from a recipe calling for instant yeast.

I use instant yeast, which never has to be proofed , just add it to the recipe. I buy it at a restaurant supply store, I can't remember the brand. I store it in the freezer, where it lasts indefinitely.

I leave my bread dough out for the first rise as long as I need, coming back to it at my convenience. Occasionally I leave it in the refrigerator overnight. However once you have shaped the loaves you need to keep an eye out. If they over rise at that point they will collapse as they bake.

To do this you must be using instant/rapid rise yeast (like SAF), not active dry. What kind of yeast did you purchase? Because its granules are larger, active dry yeast must be "proofed" first by activating in warm water, and about 20% more is required if converting from a recipe calling for instant yeast.

Hmmm...actually proofing really is checking for proof that the yeast is still good. You don't need to proof active dry yeast to get it to work. It just takes longer for the dough to rise.

Hmmm...actually proofing really is checking for proof that the yeast is still good. You don't need to proof active dry yeast to get it to work. It just takes longer for the dough to rise.
But there's no extra time to be had with a bread machine, as in the case of the poster I was responding to. :)