Menu

Mean mom...no snow day!

LOL. We are relatively new to this home schooling thing....only 1 1/2 years into it. My kids, ages 10 and 13, are begging for a "snow day" today because ALL their friends are out of school.

Guess what? I am a MEAN mom! We called last Friday a "hiking day" and didn't do school and we are calling this Friday a "travel day" as we drive to Rapid City South Dakota for a week....so they are doing school today! No snow day here, as tempting as it would be for mom to curl up in front of the fire with a book and hot tea....we are going to put in a full day! :D:lol:

My kids are lucking out because we took off all last week and will take off this week as I restructure their stuff and get ready for our inspection from our landlord. (He wants everything off the walls so he can look at the wall condition. It's annoying, but he only does it about every three years, so I can deal.)

We're doing netflix movies, general living books, cub scout stuff, a general science experiment kit, and I might throw something together for Groundhogs Day and Chinese New Year. They're probably learning about the weather this week too since every channel seems to be going on and on about the snow.

:001_smile: You do realize that a snow day means public school students have been given assignments to do at home, right? It is not a totally free day b/c the state exam and AP exam dates, the all-county music tryouts, term paper due dates etc wiill not be moved to compensate for missed instruction. Think of it as a 'work at home' day for those serious about their education.

The teachers here were kind enough to send home answer keys with the work for the snow days and short days before mid-terms, knowing that they would not have enough review time in class.

They don't do that here, but then bad weather days are usually called at the last minute, and are few and far between. I'll have to ask the cousins in CT if her kids have work to do at home.

They don't do that here, but then bad weather days are usually called at the last minute, and are few and far between. I'll have to ask the cousins in CT if her kids have work to do at home.

Same here and I never had to do it either, as a kid in PS! I would hate snow days as a kid if I had to do work at home! Our district makes up the snow days that are not built into the schedule. So they will make up the work. In school. In June. Poor kids!

No snow day at our house...we have a break week next week anyway, so it seems a little silly. We'll see about tomorrow, though. We're supposed to get a foot of snow tonight, and we've been working so hard that they've been playing in the snow in the dark, some days.

No snow day here for us either. All schools - even universities - are off today in prep for the blizzard. No snow yet, though - it is due to arrive sometime from noon on. We may take the day off tomorrow - we'll see! I don't mind doing school on days like this, though. Cozy, watching the snow fall, reading in front of the fireplace. Very peaceful.

Actually if it were a lot of snow and warmer temps I would give them the day off...but it is -8 with wind chills in the -30 range. Not even a temptation to go outside!

And here the PS don't do any work at home on snow days, they are usually just called the morning of and don't have any chance to assign homework, they just make up the time in the spring.