Menu

Breastfeeding advice

Help! My 8 month old has suddenly decided to refuse my milk. I don't know what to do. He has been pretty grumbly the past few days (but he is my 'high maintenance' one!), and has been pulling at his ear, but only occasionally. I've given him a bit of paracetamol. He is not unwell though and hasn't had a fever.

I suppose he's old enough to do without, but I'm not ready for stopping! All the others went on nursing well into their second year. What should I do? Does he need a bottle if I can't persuade him to have mine?

Thoughts......??

Thanks all

Could be a nursing strike for any number of reasons. Any changes in your personal products? My oldest went on a nursing strike when I wore perfume to a wedding. He also didn't like it when I changed deodorants. I found that I could get him to nurse if he was really sleepy and I laid down with him. Also, if he was resisting one side, I would start him on the "good side" and slide him over to the other side. Worked great for one-sided nursing strikes due to an ear infection.

Here is a good link from good ole Kellymom

It sounds like he may be on a nursing stike.

Here are a couple of links that may help you out.

La Leche League's page on nursing strikes

Kellymom Scroll down to nursing strike.

Your baby is too young to wean. An abrupt stop to nursing is not weaning, it is a nursing strike. Weaning is gradual. You can express milk to keep your supply up but I wouldn't offer your baby a bottle. He may not be feeling well, or maybe he got scared the last time he nursed (yelling as another child for instance can cause a baby to get scared) not saying you did this just an example. If you have a sling or a wrap I would recommend carrying him around as much as possible. You need to try to bond with him. Read LLL page on this and if you need help look up your local LLL leader. They are always full of wonderful advice and support!

HTH!

Definitely sound like a nursing strike. I remember my La Leche League Leader telling us about a 10 day nursing strike when her son was about your son's age. Make the room dark and quiet, keep the baby close to you in a sling or wrap. Consider that you son may be sick and it hurts to lay on that side or at all. You can breastfeed in different positions that may help.

Did he get vaccinated recently? That could affect it. Any changes like deodorant, soap, laundry detergent, perfume?

I breastfed 3 of mine until they were 4 or 5 years old. Don't give up. It was so worth it, and even moreso when they were stressed and needed to calm down during those toddler years.

Nursing strikes are not uncommon. It' hard to say what causes them, but most babies will get over it and nurse again, if their mommies dont start them on bottles and more solids.

You can try different things: take a bath with baby and try nursing while you're both all relaxed, take a bath with him and when you get out, go lie down on your bed and nurse skin to skin, try holding him in a different position, things like that.

You might also check with La Leche League, as they have lots of experience with nursing issues.

Could be a nursing strike for any number of reasons. Any changes in your personal products? My oldest went on a nursing strike when I wore perfume to a wedding. He also didn't like it when I changed deodorants. I found that I could get him to nurse if he was really sleepy and I laid down with him. Also, if he was resisting one side, I would start him on the "good side" and slide him over to the other side. Worked great for one-sided nursing strikes due to an ear infection.

Here is a good link from good ole Kellymom

:iagree:

Try nursing at night :) My favorite time to nurse was after my kids were one :)

I always wonder why the answer can't be that the child just doesn't want it anymore or this specific child *has* outgrown breastfeeding. So a "nursing strike" is when a baby is showing what he or she doesn't want, but mom knows best and doesn't let the baby eat any other way so that she can continue the nursing experience. Or is this explanation incorrect?

I always wonder why the answer can't be that the child just doesn't want it anymore or this specific child *has* outgrown breastfeeding. So a "nursing strike" is when a baby is showing what he or she doesn't want, but mom knows best and doesn't let the baby eat any other way so that she can continue the nursing experience. Or is this explanation incorrect?

Was that a polite way of calling the OP selfish?

Rosie

6pack,

A nursing strike is when a child who is too young for normal weaning starts refusing to nurse. Biological age of weaning for humans is estimated to be between 2-7 yo. For an infant of less than a year old to stop nursing abruptly does NOT mean they are developmentally ready to do so.

Nursing strikes are usually caused by underlying circumstances, not just a child not wanting to nurse.

The PP's have listed numerous reasons that can contribute to a nursing strike.

Think of an adult who doesn't want to eat anymore.

Could be a kanker sore, a tooth ache, an eating disorder, the flu, an ulcer, etc....you get the point. :)

Was that a polite way of calling the OP selfish?

Rosie

I don't think that's fair. So many people are all about "child lead learning" or "child lead potty training" so why not "child led weaning"? (Not that I am advocating the first two.)

8 months old is certainly old enough to begin at least supplementing with grains and fruits and vegetables. I did both breastfeeding and the grains and veggies and it worked very well. He didn't stop wanting to breastfeed, but he got lots of nutrients, was exposed to new textures and tastes (he's still very good about eating fruits and vegetables) and it filled him enough that I got to sleep though the night.

I don't think that's fair. So many people are all about "child lead learning" or "child lead potty training" so why not "child led weaning"? (Not that I am advocating the first two.)

8 months old is certainly old enough to begin at least supplementing with grains and fruits and vegetables. I did both breastfeeding and the grains and veggies and it worked very well. He didn't stop wanting to breastfeed, but he got lots of nutrients, was exposed to new textures and tastes (he's still very good about eating fruits and vegetables) and it filled him enough that I got to sleep though the night.

It quite is fair to ask polite, clarifying questions.

I haven't heard anyone disagreeing with your second paragraph. Did the OP say she wouldn't feed him solids at all? Not that I read.

An eight month old doesn't know everything there is to know about his own health. It makes perfect sense to find possible reasons for a strike and try correcting them before concluding the baby is going to do what the baby is going to do.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

An 8 month old does not "outgrow" breastfeeding. No one would *ever* suggest that a bottlefed 8 month old who suddenly refused formula must have "outgrown" it, so why so eager to jump to that conclusion with breastfeeding?

Because he is too young to go without milk. At that age he would have to have formula (artificial baby milk), which would NOT be weaning, it would be switching from one milk source to another. Since he isn't old enough to go without milk, and since the best milk for him is breastmilk, the answer is to get him nursing again. If he were old enough to go without milk or formula than the answer would be different. In other words, if he still wants to suckle, be it from a bottle or breast than he is not ready to wean. And if he doesn't want to suckle from either than he will starve.

And yes, mama knows best sometimes. My son doesn't want to eat vegetables, but I still make him :)