Menu

What your ____ is doing threads?

The thing is that the Blogging Coconuts author is not a member here, and did not post on the WTM What Is Your Child Doing? thread. I think it's rather mean to be ripping her apart here.

I am not ripping her apart-I am in AWE!! My apologies if my post came across as "ripping her apart"--I seriously was just like..."WOW."

Edited by Halcyon

People are forever posting here about minimalism and clearing out their kids' 'junk'. I would think this the goal, no?

I do love the look, and we don't have very much stuff in our house. But our house just doesn't look like that. I think all of our "eclectic mismatched furnishings" don't help!

You know, as a mum of "only" 2 kids, who didnt start homeschooling till they were 7 and 9 years old.....even though my younger was a very high needs child and I had to sit next to him most of the day till he was 12 or so......I still had a fair amount of free time. Way too much free time, really...so I came here, got organised, researched etc. For years. And I had time to clean house too.

The thing these threads bring up for me is......if you have younger kids, of course you are going to be more tied up with the day to day activities of younger kids..it will pass, but for now, this is the season you are in. Dont be envious of those with more time on their hands....one day, that will be you too. People dont write what they are doing just to annoy you. For many of us it has been beneficial to see how organised some people can be. Dont take it as a personal slight, for goodness sakes. You dont know whats going on in their homes at all. They may be locked in their bedrooms making spreadsheets while the house falls apart around them. That may be one area of control they have in a chaotic home. Or their house may be spotless but they cant stand everyone piling in their beds for a cuddle and readaloud. YOu dont know.

And if you have 6 kids....what did you think? Having 6 would be as easy as having 2? I don't understand that one at all. If you have many kids, you will have more work on your hands, a wider age range, more people to tend to, more housework, more to cook for, more appointments to attend....it didnt just happen by itself. You chose to have 6 kids, didnt you? I guess thats not a politically correct thing to say on a Christian message board, but still....I am often surprised. Some people have 10 kids and are very organised and disciplined and others with 3 or 4 can barely manage. I know poeple on these boards who have many more than 6 kids and i never see them complaining about the sorts of things people complain about with far less kids.

I think it pays to give grace to other families who are organised, disciplined and whose kids are doing well. It doesn't just happen by itself...they worked at it. And I believe for many, it happened because they were motivated by something...they probably started out chaotic and disorganised too. I certainly did. But the homeschooling journey exposed me to so many great things....parenting methods, homeschooling methods, organisational methods...that over the years I learned from those who went before me, and I grew, got organised and at the same time- my kids got older, which is kind of intevitable!

Its ok to be where you are at...and its great to come here for support when you are feeling a mess.....but one of the best things I read over the years here was mums saying "homeschooling is my work, my job, and I treat it as such- I don't take days off lightly" and "your kids need an education- give them one, or they should be at school". Its controversial, but I tend to agree with it. I remember one mum who came here looking for support for not educating her kids for many months- and the response was tough with some mums telling her straight that they felt her kids would be better off in school. It sounds tough, and we all need a soft approach at times, but there is a time for toughness too.

Spreadsheets are not a sign of a good education, but don't be envious of those who are successful and together. Instead, learn from them.

Very well said. Some people really do just have most of it all together. Instead of assuming that some part of their world is falling apart, we should simply be happy for them.

You know, as a mum of "only" 2 kids, who didnt start homeschooling till they were 7 and 9 years old.....even though my younger was a very high needs child and I had to sit next to him most of the day till he was 12 or so......I still had a fair amount of free time. Way too much free time, really...so I came here, got organised, researched etc. For years. And I had time to clean house too.

The thing these threads bring up for me is......if you have younger kids, of course you are going to be more tied up with the day to day activities of younger kids..it will pass, but for now, this is the season you are in. Dont be envious of those with more time on their hands....one day, that will be you too. People dont write what they are doing just to annoy you. For many of us it has been beneficial to see how organised some people can be. Dont take it as a personal slight, for goodness sakes. You dont know whats going on in their homes at all. They may be locked in their bedrooms making spreadsheets while the house falls apart around them. That may be one area of control they have in a chaotic home. Or their house may be spotless but they cant stand everyone piling in their beds for a cuddle and readaloud. YOu dont know.

And if you have 6 kids....what did you think? Having 6 would be as easy as having 2? I don't understand that one at all. If you have many kids, you will have more work on your hands, a wider age range, more people to tend to, more housework, more to cook for, more appointments to attend....it didnt just happen by itself. You chose to have 6 kids, didnt you? I guess thats not a politically correct thing to say on a Christian message board, but still....I am often surprised. Some people have 10 kids and are very organised and disciplined and others with 3 or 4 can barely manage. I know poeple on these boards who have many more than 6 kids and i never see them complaining about the sorts of things people complain about with far less kids.

I think it pays to give grace to other families who are organised, disciplined and whose kids are doing well. It doesn't just happen by itself...they worked at it. And I believe for many, it happened because they were motivated by something...they probably started out chaotic and disorganised too. I certainly did. But the homeschooling journey exposed me to so many great things....parenting methods, homeschooling methods, organisational methods...that over the years I learned from those who went before me, and I grew, got organised and at the same time- my kids got older, which is kind of intevitable!

Its ok to be where you are at...and its great to come here for support when you are feeling a mess.....but one of the best things I read over the years here was mums saying "homeschooling is my work, my job, and I treat it as such- I don't take days off lightly" and "your kids need an education- give them one, or they should be at school". Its controversial, but I tend to agree with it. I remember one mum who came here looking for support for not educating her kids for many months- and the response was tough with some mums telling her straight that they felt her kids would be better off in school. It sounds tough, and we all need a soft approach at times, but there is a time for toughness too.

Spreadsheets are not a sign of a good education, but don't be envious of those who are successful and together. Instead, learn from them.

:iagree:

Everyone is so different and each family has variables. I ran across a post similar to this one day except it was talking about my blog. Talk about a punch in the gut. The last thing I wanted to do was make someone else feel bad by reading my blog. It is tempting to just go quietly into the background and never blog again. But I don't. I won't. I believe in what we are doing and hope that someone else will benefit from what I post. Nobody out there is perfect and doing things perfectly, but people are trying to make the best choices for their children and family. And the choices I make and the things I do fit my family, but they don't have to fit yours.

Everyone is so different and each family has variables. I ran across a post similar to this one day except it was talking about my blog. Talk about a punch in the gut. The last thing I wanted to do was make someone else feel bad by reading my blog. It is tempting to just go quietly into the background and never blog again. But I don't. I won't. I believe in what we are doing and hope that someone else will benefit from what I post. Nobody out there is perfect and doing things perfectly, but people are trying to make the best choices for their children and family. And the choices I make and the things I do fit my family, but they don't have to fit yours.

:iagree::iagree: You can't please everybody. Everyone has their own idea of how things should be. You've just gotta live your life. Take the good leave the bad. :)

Seriously - does anyone USE that room? It IS lovely in some ways, but just too perfect - it needs to live with busy kids and splotches of finger paints. Ironically, down the side somewhere, there's an old photo of Maria Montessori, surrounded by what looks like a bunch of somewhat grubby kids. No fancy classroom, just Montessori and the kids interested in some paper.

Seriously, I'm sure she took those pictures before anyone was allowed to actually GO into the room! I took pictures of my school room (which doubles as the dining room) and posted them right after I got everything together. Now, after 4 months of homeschooling, it doesn't much resemble the original pictures!:lol: There are stacks of books, stacks of papers, bins of markers, pens and pencils and much more lying about. That doesn't even start to cover the piles of random junk all over the buffet!

:grouphug:

I honestly didn't mean for this to be hurtful to anyone. Just a place for people who feel inferior to support eachother I guess.

Sometimes I feel like people are one uping eachother here.

It just makes me doubt how well I am doing.

The blog was an example of the awesomeness available out there. Not making fun of it at all! I read EVERY SINGLE post there. I took notes of things I would love to impliment. I discussed it with my ds11 and we discussed a strategy to actually do some of the ideas.

This was in NO WAY a way to make fun of anyone. I am sorry if it came across that way to some.

I was looking for others who felt like crying as I do sometimes because I just can't do enough it seems.

I chose this life. Homeschooling. Many children.

Guess I just needed a hug from mamas who have felt the same at some point.

I just checked out that blog. Lovely. I nearly gacked all over my keyboard.

I've reading that post, and it just made me :blink:. I mean, lovely room, really, but she's got "songs they sing during circle time". Circle time? Does anyone else here do circle time?

Really, I have a cool school area (not as cool as the Counting Coconuts one, but hey). We made a bunch of snowflakes that are hanging from the ceiling and I have a bulletin board for all our art. I have these really cool storage cubes and two different bookshelves, one for books and one for art and school supplies (and more books). I have a wipe off board and calendar hanging on the walls and a printer and my laptop and we each have desks, plus it's part of our living room so we can hang out on couches and still be in our school area. But there's no way I'm showing you pictures because it's a complete disaster in here. ;)

Anyway, I think those threads are sometimes fun to read. I get ideas from them. I do try to stay away from them when I'm feeling inadequate. Plus, recognizing that people tend to portray what they're doing as a kind of "In ideal world, we do this" kind of way. For most people, they have good days and bad days. It's as much for their own sake as anything else that they're focusing on the good.

I've reading that post, and it just made me :blink:. I mean, lovely room, really, but she's got "songs they sing during circle time". Circle time? Does anyone else here do circle time?

Really, I have a cool school area (not as cool as the Counting Coconuts one, but hey). We made a bunch of snowflakes that are hanging from the ceiling and I have a bulletin board for all our art. I have these really cool storage cubes and two different bookshelves, one for books and one for art and school supplies (and more books). I have a wipe off board and calendar hanging on the walls and a printer and my laptop and we each have desks, plus it's part of our living room so we can hang out on couches and still be in our school area. But there's no way I'm showing you pictures because it's a complete disaster in here. ;)

Anyway, I think those threads are sometimes fun to read. I get ideas from them. I do try to stay away from them when I'm feeling inadequate. Plus, recognizing that people tend to portray what they're doing as a kind of "In ideal world, we do this" kind of way. For most people, they have good days and bad days. It's as much for their own sake as anything else that they're focusing on the good.

Is it the name that bothers you or the fact that she (probably) sits on the floor with her kid and sings silly songs? He is 3, isn't he? What's wrong with that?

What is this lately with the mom bashing going on here?

Is it the name that bothers you or the fact that she (probably) sits on the floor with her kid and sings silly songs? He is 3, isn't he? What's wrong with that?

I don't think it is mom bashing.

I was taking personally that I could not accomplish what others seem to be doing with their eyes closed.

Now it has turned to the inferiors hating on the awesome mamas.

I do not think that is what is meant by what any of us are saying. I think it is being lost in typing instead of hearing our hearts cry out because we can't figure out how the awesome mamas do it.

Does that make more sense? NEVER once have I bashed a mama. I am just shaken by their abilities. It is not their fault. It is mine.

Just wanted to know if anyone else felt that way.

I don't think it is mom bashing.

I was taking personally that I could not accomplish what others seem to be doing with their eyes closed.

Now it has turned to the inferiors hating on the awesome mamas.

I do not think that is what is meant by what any of us are saying. I think it is being lost in typing instead of hearing our hearts cry out because we can't figure out how the awesome mamas do it.

Does that make more sense? NEVER once have I bashed a mama. I am just shaken by their abilities. It is not their fault. It is mine.

Just wanted to know if anyone else felt that way.

FWIW I understood what you were saying in your OP and took your meaning to be ... a "sometimes I feel this way when I see these sites does anyone else feel like this too" type of thing.

I understood where you were coming from. :grouphug:

Winter blahs? Cabin fever? Mass PMS? I don't know. Did somebody declare it an official Olympic sport and we're all in training for 2012?

FWIW, I did "circle time" with my ds when he was a toddler, pre-K and K'er. Technically it was a "line time" since you need at least 3 points to make a circle, but anyway.... It's really the same thing as singing silly songs with your kids. Who doesn't do that? Seriously. Don't we all kind of revert back to our own childhoods to play with our little ones? Isn't that one of the best things about having little ones? I miss that time sometimes, so there's no way I'm going to begrudge anyone their silly song time with their little kiddos, but life goes on and kids grow up and you get to grow up again with them. It's all good.

Also, FWIW... I've never had a school room, per se. We use the dining room table a lot, but we also use the coffee table or the floor or the sofas or the big chair or heck... even the beds. And, it's all a lived-in mess. Truly. My housekeeping has suffered greatly for homeschooling and for being a working mom homeschooling. But, it's my house and none of you have to live in it. :tongue_smilie:

Um, relax? I didn't bash her. I asked if anyone else did circle time? I am startled at the level of detail put into a schoolroom for a three year old, and yes, it seems a bit over the top, but I'm not down on her about it. I'm sure we all wish our school rooms were as neat and organized. I think you're reading negativity into my post that simply isn't there. I try to be honest about what me and my kids are doing, the good and the bad.

Someone needs to post a what is a typical bad day like thread. LOL

I posted on a recent what are you doing thread because we had a project day and I thought it was interesting. The 3 I currently homeschool are a creative bunch and they make me proud. I didn't post that math has been a fiasco this year and that we don't always complete the lesson plan I create or that sometimes my meals are more on the easy side than the healthy side. Oh, my bedroom is a mess right now and I really need to scrub my shower, but I don't want to. Concentrate on priorities and use rose-colored glasses. None of us are perfect, we just like to look that way. :)

There are Waldorf and Waldorf-inspired curricula implement "circle time." The newer versions of Oak Meadow K have "circle time" (I have an older version that didn't do/refer to "circle time" but if I had the newer one, yep, we'd likely be doing "circle time"). It's just a time to sit and do songs and nursery rhymes and such.

FWIW I understood what you were saying in your OP and took your meaning to be ... a "sometimes I feel this way when I see these sites does anyone else feel like this too" type of thing.

I understood where you were coming from. :grouphug:

Thank you! :grouphug:

I apparently stirred some defensive feelings in others. Again, not my intent.

Someone needs to post a what is a typical bad day like thread. LOL

I posted on a recent what are you doing thread because we had a project day and I thought it was interesting. The 3 I currently homeschool are a creative bunch and they make me proud. I didn't post that math has been a fiasco this year and that we don't always complete the lesson plan I create or that sometimes my meals are more on the easy side than the healthy side. Oh, my bedroom is a mess right now and I really need to scrub my shower, but I don't want to. Concentrate on priorities and use rose-colored glasses. None of us are perfect, we just like to look that way. :)

I really appreciate your post. :) :grouphug:

Hmmm...I hope Counting Coconuts never joins this board and sees this thread. What a welcome.

I think see would feel welcomed.

I do not know how many more good things I would have to say about her and her blog to get that point across.

I am feeling like some of you are truly not listening. :glare:

:grouphug::grouphug:

If you have littles you really shouldn't be doing much. All of the bells and whistles are fun, but as long as you're truly engaged, you'll be fine.

And stop comparing yourself. It's like googling symptoms.

And cut yourself some slack--aren't you going to be giving birth tomorrow?

I think see would feel welcomed.

I do not know how many more good things I would have to say about her and her blog to get that point across.

I am feeling like some of you are truly not listening. :glare:

Well, I wasn't referring to you specifically. From some of the posts that I saw, people were picking on her circle time, thinking her blog was a homeschool parody, etc, etc.

If I saw an 8 plus page thread featuring my blog with such discussion, I would definitely feel bad.

ETA: I understand what the initial point of your OP was (Yes, I was listening) but it spiraled out of control when this particular blog was mentioned. That's all.

Edited by MissKNG

If you have littles you really shouldn't be doing much. All of the bells and whistles are fun, but as long as you're truly engaged, you'll be fine.

Oh my goodness, isn't that the truth.

Oh my goodness! That is so funny you said that! I was doing that the other night regarding my split pelvic bone.....NOT GOOD! :lol:

I thought I would google homeschooling stuff and read up on some curriculum and what not. May not be any better! :D

Well, I wasn't referring to you specifically. From some of the posts that I saw, people were picking on her circle time, thinking her blog was a homeschool parody, etc, etc.

If I saw an 8 plus page thread featuring my blog with such discussion, I would definitely feel bad.

Hopefully she would feel like a rockstar!

Seriously....deep down inside most of us wish we could pull that all off. I do. Hense my feelings of being a failure.

She is an amazing woman with a GIANT heart. Her son and dh are both lucky guys. :) I would LOVE to chat with her and soak up some of her wisdom.

We all have moments when we feel inadequate. We all have things that we don't do as well, or seasons when we're overwhelmed. The thing is, how do you deal with it? If you deal with it by looking at ways to pull someone else down, it isn't healthy. If you deal with it by asking for compassion or help or advice, that is healthy. If you deal with it by listing all your faults, that isn't healthy. If you deal with it by "counting your blessings" and listing the things that are going well, even if it is something like "we get up in the morning", then that is healthy.

Personally, I don't like the "let's pile on the misery" threads. Perhaps some people are helped by them temporarily because there is a reason that "misery loves company" is an adage, but I don't think that it helps us in the long run. At least it doesn't help me. It makes me feel worse. And if you try to point out the faults of the "perfect people" (who never claimed to be perfect in the first place) you end up with hurt feelings like Wehomeschool had when people picked on her blog, and the icky feeling that LibraryLover had over this thread. I don't see how any motive to tear someone or their ideas or their practices down to build ourselves up can be beneficial in the long run, even if you think that the tearing down is minor and inconsequential or "all in fun".

We all have moments when we feel inadequate. We all have things that we don't do as well, or seasons when we're overwhelmed. The thing is, how do you deal with it? If you deal with it by looking at ways to pull someone else down, it isn't healthy. If you deal with it by asking for compassion or help or advice, that is healthy. If you deal with it by listing all your faults, that isn't healthy. If you deal with it by "counting your blessings" and listing the things that are going well, even if it is something like "we get up in the morning", then that is healthy.

Personally, I don't like the "let's pile on the misery" threads. Perhaps some people are helped by them temporarily because there is a reason that "misery loves company" is an adage, but I don't think that it helps us in the long run. At least it doesn't help me. It makes me feel worse. And if you try to point out the faults of the "perfect people" (who never claimed to be perfect in the first place) you end up with hurt feelings like Wehomeschool had when people picked on her blog, and the icky feeling that LibraryLover had over this thread. I don't see how any motive to tear someone or their ideas or their practices down to build ourselves up can be beneficial in the long run, even if you think that the tearing down is minor and inconsequential or "all in fun".

Again, never meant to tear anyone else down.

I wish you all could "hear" what I am saying from my heart.

Apparently, my fingers are NOT good at relaying the message. :001_huh:

Again, never meant to tear anyone else down.

I wish you all could "hear" what I am saying from my heart.

Apparently, my fingers are NOT good at relaying the message. :001_huh:

I answered your questions that I read in the OP - Yes, I often feel inadequate and I believe that we all do at times. And there are ways that I deal with it : I try to ask for compassion from people (perhaps in a prayer thread) or for gentle advice. And I try to list those things that are going well. Often I find that most of school will have gone well but that one big blow-up over math is the only thing that I remember at the end.

I answered your questions that I read in the OP - Yes, I often feel inadequate and I believe that we all do at times. And there are ways that I deal with it : I try to ask for compassion from people (perhaps in a prayer thread) or for gentle advice. And I try to list those things that are going well. Often I find that most of school will have gone well but that one big blow-up over math is the only thing that I remember at the end.

I know u did. :grouphug: Thank you.

:iagree: Very well said, Jean.

I spent the first five years of motherhood trying to find ways to do Montessori at home. Now I've spent the last two trying to find ways to avoid doing Montessori at home. ;) Of course it looks lovely in blog photos -- and sometimes in real life, too -- but it is seriously labor-intensive, and IME just plain inefficient.

Just think about it: the ideal Montessori 3-6 classroom hums along productively with about 30 children and one teacher. (These days, local regulations often require smaller classes or multiple teachers, but the fact is that the method works fine with a 30:1 ratio.) By contrast, "home Montessori" seems to be most successful when each teacher is only working with one child, or maybe two who are close in age. With three or four spanning different stages of development, it rapidly devolves into chaos. :tongue_smilie: There are many reasons for this, including the lack of opportunities for peer modeling; the likelihood of the teacher being stressed or distracted; and the difficulty of creating a "prepared environment" for multiple ages at once.

To put it another way: if Maria Montessori were alive today, and wanted to home educate seven children aged newborn to adolescent, do you think she'd be buying a house with lots of extra bedrooms and setting up a perfect model classroom for each developmental stage? I seriously doubt it. I bet she'd throw up her hands and go back to the starting point: observe the child, both as an individual and within the classroom community (i.e., the family); notice what works and what doesn't; and provide an environment and curriculum that seem to encourage normal, healthy development as previously seen in the Children's House.

Then, in the evenings, I tend to think she might have a glass of wine and some of those yummy Italian cookies, and read the WTM board looking for ideas and support. ;)

I just checked out that blog. Lovely. I nearly gacked all over my keyboard.

Seriously - does anyone USE that room? It IS lovely in some ways, but just too perfect - it needs to live with busy kids and splotches of finger paints. Ironically, down the side somewhere, there's an old photo of Maria Montessori, surrounded by what looks like a bunch of somewhat grubby kids. No fancy classroom, just Montessori and the kids interested in some paper.

My house isn't big enough for a separate homeschool room, although we have four dc and a GSD - it's just one through room downstairs: dining room/music room/schoolroom to lounge to kitchen to laundry area. 700 sq.ft including the upstairs. We manage ok!

Folks. I want to apologise for my post. I was in a very silly mood when I wrote it (note to self, steer well clear of controversy on message boards when in a jokey mood - and I should know that British humor is very dry compared to American humor.) and I can see why some have had a problem with it. So - sorry.

Btw.. me feeling sick looking at the blog had to do with the comparison with my own house - it is truly NEVER tidy here and sometimes I am sick to my stomach just looking at it! But kudos to this gal, if she can keep her place in great shape.

Jean - I particularly want to thank you for your gentle post. I know many others on this board appreciate your wisdom as I do.