Menu

How do you afford to homeschool??!!!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. We look for free or very inexpensive resources (including the internet and the library). A lot of excellent resources fall into that category - things we'd be likely to use even if money wasn't an issue. I truly do not feel that my kids are being shorted by using these resources instead of more expensive options. I won't give a list because I think most everything I could suggest has already been mentioned :)

2. When purchasing a curriculum item, I try to be as clear as possible (with myself and DH) about what my goals are in purchasing the curriculum over using a free resource, a less expensive option, or something we already own. I do research to make sure that the item in question actually fulfills that goal, and looks like something that will work well for our family. I read reviews, get samples if they're provided on a website, or look at a copy in-person if another homeschooler locally uses it. I do this even for relatively inexpensive purchases, since they add up. I will pay more for something when there is a cheaper/free alternative if I feel it's truly a better option, but I have to be pretty convinced.

3. We avoid curriculum-hopping. Once I have something, I try to make it work for us. Math Mammoth, for example, hasn't been all that and a bag of chips for us, but we're going to modify how we use it until it does, because it's both very inexpensive when buying multiple years at a time as e-books (especially if it will be used for multiple kids), and because I believe it's a sound curriculum. It might be easier just to go trying different things until we get it exactly right, but it isn't cost-effective.

4. We preserve consumables we know we'll reuse. When the kids do Explode The Code (which we got for free when a local homeschooler was giving it away), they write with dry-erase markers on plastic sleeves, rather than on the paper itself. (I honestly was going to have my middle kid just write on the paper and then re-buy when my youngest, currently an infant, gets to that stage. They're inexpensive, I want to support the company, and we shouldn't be quite as broke at that point. But middle child liked the idea of the plastic sleeves better.) I may end up doing this with Math Mammoth, even with being able to print as many copies as we want with the electronic edition, to save on printing costs.

5. Luck. We got $200+ worth of workbooks for $5 at a yard sale of a tutor who was moving. Most aren't things I'd choose to buy full price, but they work well as supplements, for trading, or if we don't have a better option. People in my old homeschooling group gave away curriculum they were done with or that didn't work well for them, and we got a lot of stuff from that. In return, I try to give things away if it's clear we won't use it.

6. Smart buying and planning ahead. If you're doing the tax return/holiday bonus method, set aside the money until you can catch a sale, rather than buying it right then and there because you have the money. I'm planning to buy Math Mammoth 1-6, which is sold at a significant discount if you buy it all at once rather than grade by grade. We did buy one level for the first purchase, even though that will add to the overall cost, to be sure it wasn't a total flop for us (which it isn't). We've committed the money to buy it full price, but I'm going to wait until I can catch a sale above the package discount cost, and hopefully get it at an even lower cost.

Or, for example, when my oldest was 3 or 4, they were phasing out the old version of Hooked on Phonics. We got grades K-4 for about $30 total, and are happily using them now. We pick up stuff we find at yard sales and so on that we know we won't be using for several years.

All in all, we've spent under $200 for curriculum this year, and a lot of that was one time purchases that will cover multiple years and/or work for multiple kids.

That said, I'm confident that, if necessary, I could give my kids a perfectly wonderful education with nothing beyond pencils, paper, and the public library. I'm glad it isn't, because it would be a lot more work on my part. But i could!

Edited by ocelotmom

I forgot to mention in my previous post...

We tried the Old Fashion Education website the first year of homeschooling.

Although it wasn't the style of teaching I wanted to do and the kids got really bored with all the reading....and rarely ever any hands on things...we adjusted.

Now that we have made a budget for homeschooling I still do MANY things to save us money.

• Buy used if I can
  • I make copies of student workpages instead of having my children write in the book, this way it can be copied for each child and then resold once we're done.
  • I laminate most of what we'll be reusing for multiple children.
  • I snag workbooks at The Dollar Tree when I see them for review, car trips, sick days...ect...
  • I use the library ALOT now. I rarely did in the beginning.
  • I purchased used books and always check my local thrift stores first then check ebay or similar sites where I can get a book I need for cheap.
  • I shop school supplies during the back to school sales and stock up BIG time for the entire school year. I grab extra's of my MAIN list for each child...just in case.
  • I've contacted The Book Samaratian in the beginning when times were really tight.

I used a lot of resources from the library - books, books-on-tape, Schlessinger (science) videos. Also, http://www.sheppardsoftware (math facts) and free dictation & spelling from Apples and Pears A-D Teacher's Notes

(http://www.prometheantrust.org/soundfoundationsbooks.htm). We used Singapore Math and Rod and Staff Math 1-3 and grammar books (both very reasonable).

When dc got older, I sent them to public school for 2 classes (usually science and social studies or Spanish) and then we used Florida Virtual School (free for Floridians).

Edited by Sandra in FL

K12 is free.

No, it isn't. It's only free if it is the virtual school for your state. I live in a state which doesn't provide a virtual school option. I would probably use one if it did. It's not the educational material in the public school that I wamt to avoid. It's the negative social atmosphere. Having a free virtual school option would free me from the stress of choosing curriculum and planning out the year.

When dc got older, I sent them to public school for 2 classes (usually science and social studies or Spanish) and then we used Florida Virtual School (free for Floridians).

For the OP, a lot of what is possible is going to depend on the rules in your state. In ours, for instance, there is a total separation of public schools and homeschools. That means we have no virtual schools, no option to take any classes or participate in any extracurricular activities provided by the public schools. We get no materials, no funding, no tax credits or deductions, etc from the state as I understand is possible in some states. We have had the option for dual enrollment in the community colleges once kids hit 16, but from what I hear that may well be going away by the first of next year due to budget cuts. I believe that some kids may be able to get some services through the public schools due to special needs (speech therapy, OT, that sort of thing), but I'm not sure of that.

http://thesimplehomeschool.com/store/weekly-freebie - they have some monthly freebie lesson that is good (imo) for younger students. You have to sign up for their email list.

Pandia Press has a "try before you buy" that gives you a supply list, table of contents and a couple of sample lessons to try out the different levels of History Odyssey and Science Odyssey they have (secular science, FYI).

Getting involved with a local homeschooling group, even just park days can be a great help. I've been able to borrow materials or just look them over at park days or playdates to help me see if it was something I was going to want (or something I could fake on my own once I saw it). I've learned that it's more important to ask "tell me why you liked/hated that" than "did you like it?" because the reason why someone likes something might be the exact reason I won't like it :)

Really develop your homeschooling pedagogy, learn it and stick with it. This will save you tons of time and money. TONS. Research what you need, make a decision and then use what you have. Sometimes something doesn't work.

The all important phrase for life: Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.

This has been a huge lesson for me. I think there is a natural tendency to want that new thing, the magic curriculum that is going to teach your kids, make them happy and even leave your kitchen floor shiny.

But I've also seen people switching from one curriculum to another so fast that none of them seemed to have the time to really take hold. I've felt that same urge.

I have to remember that what we need to be better writers is to do more writing, to be better readers is to do more reading, to be better mathematicians is to do more math. Sure there can be some better or worse programs, but I'm convinced that the answer often is to be persistent. (Ruth Beechik called this the third curriculum syndrome where you keep switching and then the third one magically works for you, because the child is finally developmentally ready to read. Her suggestion is to be patient in the first place.)

Remember that one reason that curriculums keep being updated is that books go in and out of print. But just because the great books that I bought from Veritas Press six years ago aren't all available now doesn't mean that they have become less useful books. Remember this when you go to the library. Look for a good book, not just the books that are on one list or another, not just for the newest books.

If you haven't read the Well Trained Mind, then read through it. I've really come back around to using the suggestions there this year. Especially when you remember that most of the curriculums available now weren't around at all when SWB was a student. Read and narrate; read and write will get you through a lot of history and science.

Check out thrift stores but don't feel like you have to buy low quality books just because they are inexpensive. Hold out, good stuff will come through too.

Let your friends know what sort of stuff you're looking for. Maybe someone will think of you when they are cleaning out their bookshelves.

My state has a school district that offers a once a week full day class for homeschooled kids. The district gets money for each kid enrolled and runs one in several towns. I think that the kids are considered part time PS at that point? Anyway, the upside is that they have a huge curriculum library and you can check out materials at the beginning of the year for the full year.

I don't know the logistics of this just yet, there was a mom at my MOPS group who was telling me a bit about it.

There's a book called Homeschool Your Child For Free. Love that one. I also sell things to buy what I want, use the library (several of them, incl a university library), and paperbackswap.com. I also buy used & wait for big discounts. Currclick.com has free downloads. Sometimes you can volunteer at a homeschool convention & get first pick at the used curricula for sale.

We don't spend money on what I consider 'unessentials'. For us, we do not have a cell phone (I'm at home all day most of the time..I really don't need one, Dh doesn't want to talk on the phone anyway), or cable t.v.. We don't have things like Netflix etc b/c we just get movies for free at the library. We do have internet b/c I see this as something valuable to have for homeschooling (a friend of mine that homeschools doesn't even have that because she'd rather just use the library's).

The things that your family thinks are important may be different than mine.

But really, if you think about all the things people got along w/out 15 or 20 years ago (back when more moms around here at least were stay-at-home moms), there's no real NEED for us to have them now. We just like too. ;)

Besides that, I buy used whenever I can, resell what won't be used later, and PRAY! I don't know how many times I prayed about some certain curriculum and God gave it to me for free, (hundreds of dollars worth of curriculum!!!) or for really cheap. I found all of my grade one readers (9 readers that sell for about $10 each) for 50 cents a piece at Good Will and they looked like new.

Edited by Homemama2