Menu

Anyone make no bake cookies/preacher cookies?

I've heard them called by both names. They are the cookies that have the oatmeal, sugar, cocoa, etc. and you cook them in a pan and drop them on wax paper.

We have made them multiple times over the years with different recipes and they never come out. I do exactly what the recipe says. They are always too soft to eat.

Does anyone here make them and they actually turn out right?

For some reason I decided to try them out again tonight with yet another recipe, with the same exact results-good-tasting cookies that are too soft to pick up and eat.

Are you using the right ingredients?

- Regular oatmeal not quick oats.

- Stick butter not whipped. If you must use margarine, try a different brand. Some are too soft.

My recipe says to add the peanut butter, oatmeal, and vanilla after boiling the other ingredients.

Refrigerating the cookies will harden them. They taste great cold.

My mom's recipe is called Top of Stove Cookies

1/4 cup butter

2 cups sugar

2 Tbsp. cocoa

1/3 cup milk

1/2 cup peanut butter

3 cups uncooked oatmeal

1 tsp. vanilla

Mix butter, sugar, cocoa, milk & vanilla. Cook over medium heat, stirring continually. Bring to a boil. Let boil for 1 minute. Stir in peanut butter. Add oats. Drop spoonfuls onto wax paper. They will harden as they cool.

Thank you for the recipes! I will have to try these.

No-bakes set-up?!?! What a strange concept. Spoon anyone?:lol:

:lol::lol:

Are you using the right ingredients?

- Regular oatmeal not quick oats.

- Stick butter not whipped. If you must use margarine, try a different brand. Some are too soft.

I use stick butter, but I was using quick oats instead of rolled oats, maybe that was the problem. Thanks for the input.

We did put them in the refrigerator and they hardened up just fine in there.

I wonder, too, if the particular recipe I used this time is flawed because it didn't call for peanut butter. :001_huh:

I think we have tried to cut the sugar on previous recipes and that's why they didn't work. I hate putting that much sugar in, but these are a little more like candy than cookies!

I found a recipe in our recipe book that calls them Dinosaur Food. The sugar is called "crushed bones" the peanut butter is "squashed bugs" the oatmeal is "grass" the butter is "fat" the vanilla is "muddy water", etc. It sounded like a fun kid's recipe.

I bring mine to a rolling boil and then cook for anywhere between 5 and 6.5 minutes depending on stove. They always set up perfectly and can be picked up and eaten in approximately 3 minutes while they are still warm. I have seen tons of recipes and other people say that they only boil for 1 to 3 minutes and I have always wondered how they could possible set up with such a short cooking time.

Humidity doesn't effect mine at all and the outcome is not terribly finicky based on ingredients. I use:

2 cups sugar

3 tablespoons cocoa

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup peanut butter

1 stick of butter

Cook over medium heat until it comes to a roilling boil and then continue to cook for an additional 5 to 6.5 minutes. I have actually reached the point where I don't even need to time them. I can tell just by looking at them when they are done but I have been making them since I was about 8 years old. Add three cups oatmeal (regular or quick - I prefer quick). Drop by rounded spoonfulls on aluminum foil.

The only variables that seem to make any difference at all is the pan and the stove. I always use the same pan that I use to make these cookies so as to get consistent results. Everytime I move into a new house though, it takes a time or two to figure out the cooking time for that particular stove. When I am visiting another person's house, I may have to play around a bit more to take into account both their pan and stove.

Try cooking them longer.

I use stick butter, but I was using quick oats instead of rolled oats, maybe that was the problem. Thanks for the input.

I think we have tried to cut the sugar on previous recipes and that's why they didn't work. I hate putting that much sugar in, but these are a little more like candy than cookies!

I wouldn't think quick oats vs. rolled oats would make a difference. I think my mom always used quick oats. You might try adding more oats to the recipes you've used before...this would both firm up the cookies and reduce the amount of sugar per cookie.

I have been making these babies since I was maybe 10 years old, and since I started using a candy thermometer (age 11 or so), I've never had a batch fail except when my candy thermometer started going out on me. I cook them to 5 degrees below soft ball stage.

I've used butter and margarine, quick-cooking and regular oats, skim and whole milk, and made them with and without peanut butter, and none of that has affected whether they set or not.

This is my recipe:

2 c. sugar

1/2 c. milk

2 1/2 - 3 T. cocoa

1 stick butter

Cook until almost soft ball stage, remove from heat and add 2 1/2-3 c. oatmeal (start with 2 1/2 and add more if they look runny) and 1/2 c. peanut butter.

Cutting back on sugar would definitely affect whether they set up.

Terri