Menu

s/o cholesterol, Trader Joe red wines for ppl who pucker at wine?

I am going to do the red wine thing but I don't like wine. My bad cholesterol numbers are rubbish. I eat decently (except for raw vegetables). I exercise a lot. I am cutting down on supplements for this thing and that thing. No more vitamins and STUFF. I want to give wine a shot. I could always use a night cap. Problem is that it tends to give me a headache and it makes my mouth pucker. I find it to be bitter and sour (not in the good way like sour gummies). I KNOW there must be wine out there for me to be found at Trader Joe's.

Maybe you could try a Beaujolais (sweeter) and drink it chilled.

FWIW, we had a friend who tried EVERYTHING to get his cholesterol numbers down. He was an older gentleman, but in great shape. Being a good Baptist, he saved the wine routine as a last resort. It worked, when nothing else did.

I like merlots... others give me a head ache if I drink more than 4 ounces. It's not like I am guzzling, but... still!

Here's a trick to the wine not being sour-ish or strong... Brush your teeth. Drink water. Wait about 5 min. Then enjoy the wine. For some reason brushing my teeth sweetens up the wine.

I like Robert Mondavi Merlot.

Not Trader Joe's, but I really like this inexpensive red wine:

Columbia Crest Two Vines Red Wine Vineyard No. 10. It's under $8.00 a bottle, and very drinkable (not so much pucker :001_smile:)

I'm linking a review: http://www.wineaccess.com/wine/product/11065719/2007-Columbia-Crest-Winery-Two-Vines-Red-Wine-Vineyard-10

And a picture of the bottle:http://www.columbiacrest.com/TwoVines/release/188

Columbia Crest is a grocery store brand, although sometimes it's harder to find the Vineyard No. 10 red wine (it's a blend of grapes rather than a straight merlot, cabernet, etc.)

FWIW, we had a friend who tried EVERYTHING to get his cholesterol numbers down. He was an older gentleman, but in great shape. Being a good Baptist, he saved the wine routine as a last resort. It worked, when nothing else did.

Hmmmmm.....

Maybe I need to try wine too.

Will be :bigear: for any additional advice.

The Merlot at Trader Joes (Charles Shaw aka Two Buck Chuck) has very low tannins ( the element in some red wines that make one "pucker") and is dirt-cheap and "drinkable" (if not particularly interesting).

Mejane made a good point about letting the wine breath to mellow it. An alternative is to simply decant a serving into a carafe or even just pour back and forth between glasses. There are even "aerating" devices now one can pour wine through (but they cost more than Two Buck Chuck :D).

Bill

You can get the same health benefits from prunes as you do from red wine.

Or just (purple) grape juice. It's the grape, not the alcohol, that has the benefit. And (per the second link) "the antioxidants in grape juice appear to linger in the body longer than do those in wine."

I like prunes okay. My kids consider them a rare treat. "Ooh! Prunes!" they squeal. But "sugar plums" is the best name for them ever.

The Merlot at Trader Joes (Charles Shaw aka Two Buck Chuck) has very low tannins ( the element in some red wines that make one "pucker") and is dirt-cheap and "drinkable" (if not particularly interesting

:iagree:

DH laughs at me because Two Buck Chuck is just about the only wine I'll willingly drink.

Or just (purple) grape juice. It's the grape, not the alcohol, that has the benefit. And (per the second link) "the antioxidants in grape juice appear to linger in the body longer than do those in wine."

I like prunes okay. My kids consider them a rare treat. "Ooh! Prunes!" they squeal. But "sugar plums" is the best name for them ever.

The friend I mentioned in my earlier post went this route before the wine. I have also heard that purple grape juice is equally effective, so i asked him specifically about that. For him, it did *not* have the same effect. It was not until he went for the wine - 4 oz each evening, I think - that his cholesterol numbers were affected.

I imagine that each individual's metabolism/body chemistry/something can affect a different result.

I can't drink california red wines because they give me a headache. However french wine - bordeaux doesn't. Try an inexpensive bordeaux and see how you like it. We've never gotten good wine at Trader Joe's. I don't think they know how to store it correctly.

Oh, so it REALLY is called Two Buck Chuck. Okay, I will try it.

I wouldn't know a Beaujelais if it came up and hit me.

Once I pop the cork, how do I store the remaining wine? I will only drink 4 oz. I live close to Temecula Wine Valley so if anybody has suggestions :bigear:.

The only wine I do like is the one at mass. Maybe somebody can figure out the best red wine for me based on that (even though the wine is a special blend).

I could also get to a BevMo if there is a gem to be found there.

Oh, so it REALLY is called Two Buck Chuck. Okay, I will try it.

The actual name is "Charles Shaw" but most people call it Two Buck Chuck.

I would cork it and refridgerate it if you are only drinking 4 oz. Wine snobs might sniff, but they are not drinking Charles Shaw :D

Bill