Menu

Hs'ing apparently isn't my strength... (rant warning)

Celia

I'm going through one of those dark, nasty moments where I feel like throwing in the towel. I think it was from reading the community newspaper recently and seeing all the photos of sweet little kiddo's doing their school Christmas concerts. They look like they're having a blast, and I know my son really isn't. His highlight of the day is getting to play Wii.

He doesn't complain a whole lot about school, and says he's happy to be doing school at home, although he's lonely despite my trying to find friends for him. It doesn't help that I'm quite shy. I also don't demand very much of him I don't think, and with 2 littler ones running around, I don't have the energy to do much more. I had great plans for this year (grade 1), and instead, we've just been doing the basics. His math and reading are fine. We're halfway through RS B, and will be done OPGTR by the end of 1st grade. His handwriting is not so good (fine motor delay) but it's coming. His art and scissor skills are on par with a K4 kid, but he's doing well with piano and other extracurricular stuff. I Really Really Really wanted to do history this year, but the idea of planning and executing fun crafts makes my head spin, thinking about what the toddler would get into. For example, in the short time I was occupied with helping the older kids decorate cookies, the little stinker tried to flush himself and all the toothbrushes down the toilet. He was belly laughing standing in the bowl happily flushing. Ew.

I just feel like I'm letting eldest ds down, he's capable of so much more, and next year is looking like it's going to be rough. We'll be trying to sell our house and move, my dd will be starting K, and my littlest ds (20months) has been growing more challenging every single day. I think the toddler is my biggest obstacle to doing a decent job of hs'ing. During reading time, he gets jealous of the other kids and tries to take the book. Any work at the table, and he climbs right on up or is whining at my legs. Even worse is when he's quiet because he's into something!

For being my 3rd kid, you'd think I'd have a bit of a handle on this parenting thing. Neither of my other two kids were easy going ones, but this guy, seriously. I'm going insane and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better anytime soon. The thought of selling and moving next year makes me think that maybe one year of ps wouldn't be so bad.

But one of the main reasons I'm hs'ing is that I want to shelter my kids (I know that probably sounds rediculous). And I'm pretty certain that my eldest would do horribly in ps. He's so sensitive, and not physically strong at all. He wears his sweet heart on his sleeve. I'd feel like I was throwing him to the wolves. My dd is a stronger character, very social, and would probably be fine other than the shoddy education.

I should probably not allow myself to even consider ps; I'm not comfortable at all with my kids being there. I just need to find a way to do better.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Cut yourself some slack, momma. Raising 3 little ones is super tough. I remember those days. It's easier for me with 7, seriously! I have so much more help.

I have a 1st grader. I don't do science or history with her, just the basics. I do spend more time reading out loud to her. But she only gets 2 hours of my school day and then she's off to play with the little ones. That is quite helpful for me and it's not going to harm her at all. I expect 2nd grade will be fairly similar for her and I will ramp things up in 3rd grade. By then my littles will be in kindergarten and pre-school so I won't have the toilet troubles and all that 2yo like to get into.

I did start this school year off doing some crafts with my 1st grader and 2 of the other elementary schooled kids. I really started to hate doing that so I dropped it. Our library has fun story times with crafts and I've decided to be more intentional about taking her there a couple of evenings a month so she can enjoy the crafty thing without it sucking the life out of me. We did one in December on a whim, a Saturday, and we both loved it so much I couldn't imagine why I hadn't done it sooner.

I know why. A couple of years ago a trip to the library meant loading everybody up in the car, babies and all, and was usually a nightmare. Now I have 2 certified babysitters at my house. WooHoo! Life has surely gotten easier.

Hang in there!! Do a couple hours of school at naptime and feel confident that your child is doing just fine. Take advantage of special events outside the home if you have the energy to take all 3 and enjoy the days where homeschool is not an 8-5 job with no pay. :001_smile:

Must be a third child thng. My little guy is similar. :D. Especially now that we have a fourth coming soon, I try to remind myself of everything that's gone right this year. Sounds like your ds is doing well. Maybe focusing on the triumphs and remembering that you won't be schooling with a toddler forever will help.

Cut yourself some slack, momma. Raising 3 little ones is super tough. I remember those days. It's easier for me with 7, seriously! I have so much more help.

I have a 1st grader. I don't do science or history with her, just the basics. I do spend more time reading out loud to her. But she only gets 2 hours of my school day and then she's off to play with the little ones. That is quite helpful for me and it's not going to harm her at all. I expect 2nd grade will be fairly similar for her and I will ramp things up in 3rd grade. By then my littles will be in kindergarten and pre-school so I won't have the toilet troubles and all that 2yo like to get into.

I did start this school year off doing some crafts with my 1st grader and 2 of the other elementary schooled kids. I really started to hate doing that so I dropped it. Our library has fun story times with crafts and I've decided to be more intentional about taking her there a couple of evenings a month so she can enjoy the crafty thing without it sucking the life out of me. We did one in December on a whim, a Saturday, and we both loved it so much I couldn't imagine why I hadn't done it sooner.

I know why. A couple of years ago a trip to the library meant loading everybody up in the car, babies and all, and was usually a nightmare. Now I have 2 certified babysitters at my house. WooHoo! Life has surely gotten easier.

Hang in there!! Do a couple hours of school at naptime and feel confident that your child is doing just fine. Take advantage of special events outside the home if you have the energy to take all 3 and enjoy the days where homeschool is not an 8-5 job with no pay. :001_smile:

This is so encouraging! Thanks for sharing.

I honestly have nothing but this :grouphug:. I have a 2 year old (3rd child, too) that sounds just like your young one. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with her 1/2 the time. Doing school during nap time is sounding better all the time...assuming I can get her in her bed.

We need our own support group :)

If you have any tricks or tips about how to get her in her bed, do tell! My others were happy in their cribs until well into their 2's, and only took a couple evenings of being stern to keep them in their beds. A strong look and occasional spanking and they'd stay put. Wouldn't always sleep, but at least they'd stay! This little guy though, it took me two hours of continuously putting him back in his bed before he finally took his nap. Yesterday was the same. When he finally does go down, I don't dare do school with older ds lest I bite his head off for a minor infraction.

This evening, deperate for some peace, I rearranged his furniture. I brought out his playpen, put it in the corner with a dresser and the change table shoved up against the sides that aren't against the wall so he can't climb out!

Not a good solution, I know, but my nerves are shot. It'll do for the moment.

Funny that you replied! I was just reading replies on the thread about how long everyone hs's each day, and thought as I read your comment "yes, I really must be lousy at this. Look at this mom with so many kids, and she still manages to do a hour of read alouds with her dd!" Your comments really are encouraging though. I hadn't thought of what it would be like having older kids that are able to help. Maybe next year I'll think about getting one of my hs'ing friends older kids to babysit ds for a few hours a week, even just going to the park or something, and that will be my time to do history projects with the older ones.

You know... I thought about a crib tent today, but I gave the crib away to an expectant mom who really needed it when he started climbing out of it.

A good sheet of plywood that I could hammer on top of the playpen with a trap door to drop him in was my next thought. Or a ball and chain to keep him grounded.

Funny that you replied! I was just reading replies on the thread about how long everyone hs's each day, and thought as I read your comment "yes, I really must be lousy at this. Look at this mom with so many kids, and she still manages to do a hour of read alouds with her dd!" Your comments really are encouraging though. I hadn't thought of what it would be like having older kids that are able to help. Maybe next year I'll think about getting one of my hs'ing friends older kids to babysit ds for a few hours a week, even just going to the park or something, and that will be my time to do history projects with the older ones.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad. If it makes you feel any better I don't read aloud to anyone else, just my 1st grader. The littles get a quick run-through of Pat the Bunny before bed AND they watch waaaaayyyy too much TV. So I'm not winning any parenting awards. :001_smile: I do what I have to do to make it work and feel fairly successful when the day doesn't end with me scouring alternate schooling options on the web. :lol:

You know... I thought about a crib tent today, but I gave the crib away to an expectant mom who really needed it when he started climbing out of it.

A good sheet of plywood that I could hammer on top of the playpen with a trap door to drop him in was my next thought. Or a ball and chain to keep him grounded.

A giant glue trap with pieces of candy stuck to it, to keep him busy.

Can you send your son one day a week to a co-op? Are there any homeschool groups? Or is there a place that has enrichment classes? My kids take outside classes every semester, but we live in Texas - with a gigantic homeschool population.

Maybe if history is really bothering you you could get Story of the World on audio and let him listen whenever? We used to do it in the car. The crafts and stuff are not really necessary imo. Our library ordered it if you have a good one- we can put in requests.

In school he is not going to do much science or history anyway. And those plays are once a year things. Most of the time from what I know it is basics, review of basics, and busy work so the teacher can work with the children who need even more review of basics. No playing except recess.

It is bad but I :lol: at your little one in the toilet. What a great story (when you have some distance!)

This really made me laugh! :lol: Hang in there. Homeschooling is hard for me too. As I was reading your post I thought "Wow, she sounds like me." My little ones are 3 & 4, and my son is in 2nd grade. I am also shy and also worry that my son doesn't have enough friends or have enough social activities. And, I'm sure if you asked him, there would be many days when he would say that the 'best part' was playing his video game.

I'm going through one of those dark, nasty moments where I feel like throwing in the towel. I think it was from reading the community newspaper recently and seeing all the photos of sweet little kiddo's doing their school Christmas concerts. They look like they're having a blast, and I know my son really isn't. His highlight of the day is getting to play Wii.

I don't have much to add, but I bolded (is that a word?) one thing that jumped out at me. Someone took a photo or two, caught the kids at a certain moment. Maybe they were having a blast at that time. Doesn't mean they usually are. Maybe you can focus some more on the positive too. Find some times during the week where you catch your son smiling. Jot it down or take a photo. Or start to write down some of the good stuff you all do. I'm sure it's in there. This may not be the best time hsing for you or ds and it will probably get better, but there is probably something good in there right now too. Try to see a bit of light in the darkness.:grouphug:

Can you send your son one day a week to a co-op? Are there any homeschool groups? Or is there a place that has enrichment classes? My kids take outside classes every semester, but we live in Texas - with a gigantic homeschool population.

My sons go to a music program one day a week. I live in an area where they are big on music programs. The homeschool chorale made the New York Times newspaper last year when they played a Carnegie Hall. But, that is in my area and they were the high school group. The program I am involved in the 3-6 year olds brought the house down at the Christmas concert this past year.

Also, please do not think that you are not doing enough. You are doing so much. I know that it is a feeling of anxiety that you get your first few years of homeschooling. I remember those days of fear that I was not doing enough or I was doing too much. If you are doing the basics, that's great!

I would focus on going outside and having the children play more. I would take them to museums to hear terminology. I did lots of field trips when they were that age. You would be surprised how much they can learn. I do at minimum 2 a year. I did one so far this year. In the past, I would have done 3 by now. Are there any children's theatre nearby you or symphony orchestras or children's museums? I would go on nature walks where you go outside in your backyard pick up something and go to the library and research what you found. These are just few fun things that I did. It is my experience.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!:grouphug:

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Guest RecumbentHeart

Hugs to you! I have one of those toddlers too. :D He's been out of his crib for quite a while due to climbing/falling out of it and we (I) spend over an hour some nights putting him back in bed (although this is a relatively recent thing since for the longest time he was my best sleeper and I rarely even needed to tell him to go to bed, let alone stay there). And what is it with toothbrushes and toilets? :lol:

Anyway, I just have hugs for you, no real solutions although my little guy often has me thinking of this picture: http://www.humorhaus.com/images/redneck%20timeout.jpg

I did a total of 2 history projects during our first rotation. I staged an archeological dig and I vaguely remember building something out of Duplos. Must've been a pyramid. My older 2 boys did about 10 narrations before I scrapped that idea; the younger boys have done none. Our first history rotation included me reading SOTW (or even better--me turning on the audio CD) and the boys coloring the worksheet. Mapwork was sporadic. At the time, I was pretty sure I was ruining them. Now I realize they remember more than I ever thought they heard. And since they can read, my oldest son can tell me more about the Revolutionary and Civil Wars than I think I was ever taught, and my second son can talk your ear off about Greek & Roman myths. I just checked books out of the library when they showed interest in a topic.

We've homeschooled from the start, and the only things we were as consistent in as I'd hoped to be were math and phonics/reading. This is my first year homeschooling without a toddler or preschooler or both. No one is stealing our pencils, no one is stealing our books, no one is screaming for cheerios or wetting their pants. I can pull paint and glue out without getting a severe twitch in my right eye. I don't have to worry about scissors being left out lest someone cut their hair, and I don't have to worry about anyone coloring the walls with markers.

We started out homeschooling for academics, but as time has gone on family relationships have become as much of a priority. My boys like each other. They get along, they play together (yes, they fight, too). They have a closeness that I don't think we could've fostered as well had they gone to school. And it turns out they've learned and excelled in academics, simply because we consistently plodded along. My point is that it will get easier, and you'll be glad you persevered in the end.

:grouphug:

Your post really spoke to me. I understand what you are feeling and I have been there. Still kinda there.

Our kids are similar in age, although my DS is just a bit older and in second grade. But very often I feel like I am letting him down. His younger siblings are taking me away from giving him the attention he needs to help with school work. I have wonderful plans, and nothing really grand or out of reach, but most days even some reading aloud is hard to do. I am usually doing it with a baby crawling all over me yelling, "Da da da da" or "woof woof woof" while I am trying to act like it isn't happening. My poor DS, he just LOVES when I read to him, and I know he is disappointed. I do try to read to him at night before bed, when DH is home and can be in charge of the little monster.

My 4yo DD is hard, too. She's the type of child who just cannot play alone. When I am doing school with DS, she has to be 2 feet away singing or dancing or SOMETHING just so we know she is there. :banghead: I bought a bunch of school stuff for her and that has helped, but her attention span is pretty short. The good thing is she has been going to a preK class a few mornings a week and I am able to do a lot of DS' work during that time. She is a social butterfly, and I know it will be hard next year for her (not going to ps). I am trying to find some girls her age that are hs, but I haven't had a lot of luck.

And my baby...yeh, that 3rd child thing. My other two were so calm at this age, or maybe I was just younger and could handle it better. :lol: It has really been a challenge. He is a horrible napper, so I don't really have that magical 2 hours of peace (although he sleeps well at night, so you can't have it all, I guess!). I think if I had nap time I would be sane. I NEED that time for me, to do a few tasks, to eat lunch, to recharge. I feel like I don't get the down time I need because I am always trying to keep the baby happy. So yeh. Totally get that. Loving the glue trap and plywood playpen roof ideas!! :lol: ( and the crazy thing...I want a 4th! :confused:)

And I have to say...don't let the happy faced children in the paper make you think that ps is better. I know the grass is always greener and all that...but my son was one of those kids last year. He was in ps in first grade, and it sounds like he is like your son....sensitive, not physical, wearing his heart on his sleeve. And oh, last year...I'm in tears thinking about it. I could go on and on about this, but it would bore you to death. But school is hard for kids like this. I am amazed at how young the bullying starts...these kids just KNOW the kids that will get upset and use it to their advantage. :( My son did well academically but really needed to be challenged more. I was lucky that he had an excellent teacher, but if he would have stayed this year there would have been 35!! kids in his class. With one teacher! At that point it becomes like babysitting and dealing with discipline issues all day...the teachers just cannot handle that size of class on their own. Especially with all of the troublemakers. It just isn't like when we were in school, and we had respect for our teachers at that age (at least I did, I feel like it was that way). I volunteered about 15-20 hours a week at the school and oh, the things that I saw.

Which is just one of many reasons why we are home now. Hopefully to stay. But it is hard to do it the way we want to do it, I know. I have had to let go of some of my hopes/wishes/plans/whatever, and just do what we can. As long as he is reading, writing, doing math, and more reading...we are good. I keep trying to get more creative about finding little bits of time here and there for other special things, and I have. Often we will do a history project in the evening or weekend when DH is home. Same with science. Daddy even helps. It has brought him into the whole hs thing, which is nice.

One more thing...if you can find outside classes for him, that would be great. Something that HE really wants to do. I know that my son is sort of shy (like me) and so for him to do an outside activity it has to be something special. I was lucky and found a couple of things and it has been good for all of us. He has had the chance to be around a lot of hs kids that are his age, and has enjoyed learning in another environment. It gets him out of the house a bit, in the fresh air (it is called earth school, and they do a lot of outside stuff), and it gives me time with his sister. If you have some homeschool groups in your area, you should definitely check them out. Even a weekly playdate or park day might help. It is good for the kids, but even better for the moms...meeting other people in your situation. You can find some friends, someone to talk with, get advice from, complain to..whatever. And they get it. Of course we are always here too, but I love to have some IRL people as well.

OK, I've gone on too long. Funny how I had time to write this but no time for math yet today. :lol: Of course my little one has been at my feet the whole time. Hang in there mama, I've heard it gets better! :D

(OK, didn't realize there was a smilie limit!! LOL Had to take out a few!)

We need our own support group :)

If you have any tricks or tips about how to get her in her bed, do tell! My others were happy in their cribs until well into their 2's, and only took a couple evenings of being stern to keep them in their beds. A strong look and occasional spanking and they'd stay put. Wouldn't always sleep, but at least they'd stay! This little guy though, it took me two hours of continuously putting him back in his bed before he finally took his nap. Yesterday was the same. When he finally does go down, I don't dare do school with older ds lest I bite his head off for a minor infraction.

This evening, deperate for some peace, I rearranged his furniture. I brought out his playpen, put it in the corner with a dresser and the change table shoved up against the sides that aren't against the wall so he can't climb out!

Not a good solution, I know, but my nerves are shot. It'll do for the moment.

Yep. I feel like I'm having to re-learn how to parent with this child. However, no one could accuse her of not being confident or oppinionated. :D

You don't want to know what I've done to try to get her to take even a little bit of a nap. Something else that works every once in a while is for me to lay down with her just until she's asleep and then I get up. That only works every once in awhile for me. It works much more often for dh for some reason. :confused:

Then, sometimes I throw my hands in the air and put on a movie. :001_huh: I just gotta have some quiet every once in awhile.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad. If it makes you feel any better I don't read aloud to anyone else, just my 1st grader. The littles get a quick run-through of Pat the Bunny before bed AND they watch waaaaayyyy too much TV. So I'm not winning any parenting awards. :001_smile: I do what I have to do to make it work and feel fairly successful when the day doesn't end with me scouring alternate schooling options on the web. :lol:

Snort! I LOVE this! Thanks for making me laugh this morning.

It is nice to see you are able to have a sense of humor about it.

I think many of us go through this at some point. The boys and I had really gotten our stride when I got pregnant and was put on bed rest. Then came the c-section and now a 10 month old, I am still waiting/trying to get there.

It can be tough with little ones. We just need to breathe and do our best. One thing that has helped me has been the SOTW audio book. DS listens to it and then I can ask him questions and do his SOTW Lapbook. He can listen to it as many times as we want and it also means can read it when I want, like at night before bed, or when nursing.

Read a-louds were a big thing here, but I am finding it difficult to read as much as before. I work it in when can, and have my older children read to my 1st grader while I listen and do dishes or other chores. Again, audio books have played a big role hear. Have you tried reading to your toddler. Don't laugh at me yet. My first grader was a real terror, but began doing this and it helped him learn to sit still. It does take a while, but he learned and was eventually easy to distract from his mayhem with a book.

You can also get books online for history. Try Ambleside online, The Baldwin Project, and Project Guteberg. You can then just read your way through History as time allows.

Also, take full advantage of your dh. I request books from the library and he picks them up. Most importantly, give yourself a break. We are always our toughest judges. Don't beat yourself up. Remember, many public schools don't even teach History, they do Social Studies. So I would say your are ahead of the curve.:D

HTH

Daniellle

I can pull paint and glue out without getting a severe twitch in my right eye. I don't have to worry about scissors being left out lest someone cut their hair, and I don't have to worry about anyone coloring the walls with markers.

:lol::lol:

Sorry, no advice but I REALLY needed this this morning.

And what is it with 3rd children? My 3rd (hmmmm, how do I put this nicely:tongue_smilie:) makes things very interesting around here.

Do you have a Classical Conversations or other homeschool group in your area? That way your son would be in class, and your youngers would be in the nursery. You go to class with him, so you get a few minutes when you can really focus on him, and he meets some friends! It would also cover your history, science, art, music, etc.

:grouphug: Lots of sympathy here. Schmooey is 3 now, but when he was your little guy's age, I didn't think we were EVER going to get any school done again. He was into everything, had given up that precious morning nap, and was, I was sure, trying to drive me crazy, or at the very least, prevent anything educational happening in our house!

I read somewhere that when they are 3 1/2 they're supposed to be easier on the homeschooling. It seems like a REALLY REALLY LONG TIME AWAY when they're only 20 months. :D We're nearly there and it has gotten a little easier - although yesterday he got some tape and wrapped it around the couch, through the kitchen eating area all the way over to the pantry... that was nearly an entire roll of tape, I think. Quite a creation. I took pictures. One day when I was making dinner he unscrewed a door stop and used the screw end to punch holes in the walls in several places. Apparently it doesn't make much noise when you do that. :glare:

I think he has made me consider sending my older 2 to school more than anything else. He's a little better these days, but my oldest is COMPLETELY distractable and he is NEVER quiet. She won't work much if I'm not sitting there watching, and if he's in there with us he's talking or making noise somehow. It feels impossible.

Your oldest is pretty young still. I'm not the most experienced mom here, but I think the best thing for you is lowering your expectations a bit (this is hard for me; I should tell you about my grand plans for this year sometime and what the reality has been). Get the essentials done, and read a lot. You're getting math and reading done, working on handwriting and fine motor skills, and that's all you need to worry about at this point.

How would he take to audio books? My kids love them, and it would allow all the kiddos to hear the stories while you keep an eye on the little ones. You can move around and still hear the CDs. :-) History doesn't have to be crafts! History can be reading cool books! SOTW on CD and maybe some read-alouds to go along with - picture books, for sure! The library has lots of stuff (if you can stand to go there with all 3, I find that hard and I only have one really little person). If you have an MP3 player, there are tons and tons of free books and stories available, and if you have some $ to spend, there is just about everything you could ever want. (If you don't have an MP3 player you can still burn the free stuff onto CDs.)

I confess to you that Schmooey goes to preschool 2 mornings per week. He loves it and I love it. It sounds like that might not work for you if you're moving next year, unless you'll be in the same area, but it might really help you.

My girls are lonely too. We go to co-op 2x per month but there is only one other little girl in our neighborhood that we've met so far and she's very busy. I am not sure what to do about that, except that I was hoping to cut down on activities and it looks like we might need to ramp back up. Ugh. I have no good solution for that.

Sigh. I don't know if it feels better to know that someone else is in the same boat, but I am.

Have you ever seen the Confessions of a Homeschooler blog? She has TONS of great preschool stuff. She also has a wee child, and has workboxes set up for her. You can see the post about it here. I don't know what your school set up is, but if you had "school" for your little man with stuff he is allowed to get into, it might distract him long enough for you to get a couple of things done. Also, your 4 yo can be playing with him some while you work with your oldest. You're going to want them to get used to taking turns playing with him while the other works with you.

So - there you have it. My $.02 and ever so much more. :lol:

About a year ago I sent my four to public school because I thought I wasn't doing enough. Well, public schools are not what they used to be. There was no time for art or crafts, no history or science (unless you count copying facts out of a textbook). Recess was almost non-existent. All my children were getting at public school were the basics. I brought them home after a semester because they were unhappy and so was I. I can adequately cover the basics at home in a fraction of the time they were spending in school, and then allow my children plenty of time to play and pursue their own interests. And I think that is the real strength of homeschooling.

Math, phonics, and penmanship is all the schooling a first grader needs. Formal school time doesn't need to take more than an hour a day at this age. You can teach science and history in an informal, fun, way by reading aloud picture books, watching educational TV, and the occasional field trip.

Susan in TX

But one of the main reasons I'm hs'ing is that I want to shelter my kids (I know that probably sounds rediculous).

I haven't read all the responses, but this line struck me in the OP's post. I don't think it's ridiculous at all (it's not one my personal goals, but I respect if it's one of yours). However, it is a negative goal. I don't mean a bad negative in a judgmental way at all, just that it's a goal to not do something as opposed to do something. If you want to get clearer about why you homeschool and maybe get your head into a more positive place, I would suggest figuring out your positive goals and focusing on those. You don't want him to experience the negative side of public schools or of whatever else in childhood is out there, but what *do* you want him to experience and how can you make that happen?

I didn't read all of the other responses but...Celia - hang in there. My youngest started climbing out of her crib at 18 months and won't stay in a playpen either. We tried a crib cover and she demolished it. I don't know what your room setup is but this is what I have had to do in order to get some peace. We emptied everything out of her room. The only thing in there is her crib. Everything else is in someone else's room or locked in the closet. She will not stay in her bed even though we have tried every thing. Discipline, bribery, praise, etc. Half the time she ends up sleeping on the floor right in front of the door. I decided that it was going to be a battle of wills and I could not let her win. She has an extremely strong personality and is very hard headed; if I let her win she will learn that being belligerent gets her what she wants. I put her down for nap at 1 and she can cry and scream all she wants but she does not come out of that room until 3. Most of the time she does fall asleep, but even if she wakes up before hand she doesn't come out until 3. I do put a box of toys in there (rotating them out every couple of days) so that if she doesn't sleep she has something to do.

That gives me two good hours of one on one with whoever needs it. Right now that is when I do read alouds for history, science and lit for dd7 and ds4. Now, the other way I deal with the 2yo is by enlisting the help of my other dc. Every morning the three older dc have to each take a one hour turn with the 2yo. This way I get at least one hour of one on one with the others. I know your oldest is only 6 but there is plenty a 6 yo can do to entertain a 2yo. Even if its only 30 minutes you could get some work done with the 5yo. And how about a bubble bath for the two youngest while you work one on one with the 6 yo in the hallway? Also, don't underestimate the value of educational videos. We don't watch any tv but I do use educational videos to keep the 2yo and the 4yo occupied for short periods of time. (20 minutes ,even once a day, isn't going to ruin your dc)

Just remember that your dc are young. I don't know about where you live but in TN the mandatory age for children to be educated is 7; not 4, 5 or even 6. If you do nothing more than play games, read and make messes until each of your dc is 7 you will be fine. In fact you will find that many things that are difficult for a 5yo to learn will be learned and retained quickly in a 7 yo. Don't stress to much about the academics right now and remember that your dc are benefiting much more from being home with you everyday watching and helping you cook, clean, buy groceries, take care of them, see and experience how you interact with them and your dh, learning from each other by the way of playing and interacting and even fighting. There will be plenty of time for Christmas plays and such when they are a little older.

However, if getting them involved in activities outside of the home is something you want to try to pursue, have you looked into Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, youth programs through a church, does your community have a children's acting group or choir? What about sports activities that may be offered through your community center. Do you have any children's museums that offer clubs or programs? I know these types of things aren't for everyone but you never know what you are missing unless you give it a try. None of these activities demand a lifelong commitment.;)

This is my first year homeschooling without a toddler or preschooler or both. No one is stealing our pencils, no one is stealing our books, no one is screaming for cheerios or wetting their pants. I can pull paint and glue out without getting a severe twitch in my right eye. I don't have to worry about scissors being left out lest someone cut their hair, and I don't have to worry about anyone coloring the walls with markers

:lol:

There is light at the end of the tunnel!!

I didn't read all of the other responses but...Celia - hang in there. My youngest started climbing out of her crib at 18 months and won't stay in a playpen either. We tried a crib cover and she demolished it. I don't know what your room setup is but this is what I have had to do in order to get some peace. We emptied everything out of her room. The only thing in there is her crib. Everything else is in someone else's room or locked in the closet. She will not stay in her bed even though we have tried every thing. Discipline, bribery, praise, etc. Half the time she ends up sleeping on the floor right in front of the door. I decided that it was going to be a battle of wills and I could not let her win. She has an extremely strong personality and is very hard headed; if I let her win she will learn that being belligerent gets her what she wants. I put her down for nap at 1 and she can cry and scream all she wants but she does not come out of that room until 3. Most of the time she does fall asleep, but even if she wakes up before hand she doesn't come out until 3. I do put a box of toys in there (rotating them out every couple of days) so that if she doesn't sleep she has something to do.

I had considered that for us (not sure if I would do it or not), but for our family that isn't feasible right now because she shares our room. So, to take all of our stuff out of our room would be next to impossible because we are living at my parent's right now due to our pending move. :D Let me know if you figure something out OP!

Is there some scheme you can take advantage of? When dd5 and ds2 were 3 and 0 I found I was struggling to do schoolmwith the 7 and 6 yo. The 3 yo is a bouncy, boppy, joyful little thing, who also needed 30 minutes daily of speech therapy for dyspraxia.

Anyway, I found out that in the government would subsidies in home childcare (read nanny) in certain circumstances and I was eligible. We had a nanny three or four days a week, and as she was a final year early childhood teaching student she worked a lot with the kids. It started off that the plan was she would babysit the younger two and do lots of play, follow through with speech and ot therapy at home. She was brilliant, so it extended.

Is anything like that available for you? It's a bit weird always having someone else in your house, but it made the year so productive, and stopped me from ripping out my hair satisfying the needs of two little ones, and two schooling.

I'm also feeling overwhelmed with hs'ing at the moment. My just-turned 2yr old is really a challenge. I wish I could read to my KG'er more. I wish I wish I wish...

I try to find those plusses in hs'ing and remember that I might be just as miserable over other issues if they were in PS.

Our hs population is pretty sad. The biggest group in town, there were maybe 10 moms at the last meeting. We are arranging a co-op presently, to run on Friday mornings for a month, and other than arranging and going on occasional field trips (which are a gong-show to go to with this crazy toddler of mine) there's just not a lot around. There is a city about an hour away that has more going on for hs'ers, and maybe as mine get older and an hour drive doesn't feel so exhausting with 3 littls kids, I'll get involved there.

Hugs to you! I have one of those toddlers too. :D He's been out of his crib for quite a while due to climbing/falling out of it and we (I) spend over an hour some nights putting him back in bed (although this is a relatively recent thing since for the longest time he was my best sleeper and I rarely even needed to tell him to go to bed, let alone stay there). And what is it with toothbrushes and toilets? :lol:

Anyway, I just have hugs for you, no real solutions although my little guy often has me thinking of this picture: http://www.humorhaus.com/images/redneck%20timeout.jpg

lol. Love it!

I did a total of 2 history projects during our first rotation. I staged an archeological dig and I vaguely remember building something out of Duplos. Must've been a pyramid. My older 2 boys did about 10 narrations before I scrapped that idea; the younger boys have done none. Our first history rotation included me reading SOTW (or even better--me turning on the audio CD) and the boys coloring the worksheet. Mapwork was sporadic. At the time, I was pretty sure I was ruining them. Now I realize they remember more than I ever thought they heard. And since they can read, my oldest son can tell me more about the Revolutionary and Civil Wars than I think I was ever taught, and my second son can talk your ear off about Greek & Roman myths. I just checked books out of the library when they showed interest in a topic.

We've homeschooled from the start, and the only things we were as consistent in as I'd hoped to be were math and phonics/reading. This is my first year homeschooling without a toddler or preschooler or both. No one is stealing our pencils, no one is stealing our books, no one is screaming for cheerios or wetting their pants. I can pull paint and glue out without getting a severe twitch in my right eye. I don't have to worry about scissors being left out lest someone cut their hair, and I don't have to worry about anyone coloring the walls with markers.

We started out homeschooling for academics, but as time has gone on family relationships have become as much of a priority. My boys like each other. They get along, they play together (yes, they fight, too). They have a closeness that I don't think we could've fostered as well had they gone to school. And it turns out they've learned and excelled in academics, simply because we consistently plodded along. My point is that it will get easier, and you'll be glad you persevered in the end.

Your second paragraph sounds like my version of complete bliss. Nothing like a been-there-done-that mom having made it through it and able to show others the light at the end of the toddler tunnel!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Funny and encouraging!

Your post really spoke to me. I understand what you are feeling and I have been there. Still kinda there.

Our kids are similar in age, although my DS is just a bit older and in second grade. But very often I feel like I am letting him down. His younger siblings are taking me away from giving him the attention he needs to help with school work. I have wonderful plans, and nothing really grand or out of reach, but most days even some reading aloud is hard to do. I am usually doing it with a baby crawling all over me yelling, "Da da da da" or "woof woof woof" while I am trying to act like it isn't happening. My poor DS, he just LOVES when I read to him, and I know he is disappointed. I do try to read to him at night before bed, when DH is home and can be in charge of the little monster.

My 4yo DD is hard, too. She's the type of child who just cannot play alone. When I am doing school with DS, she has to be 2 feet away singing or dancing or SOMETHING just so we know she is there. :banghead: I bought a bunch of school stuff for her and that has helped, but her attention span is pretty short. The good thing is she has been going to a preK class a few mornings a week and I am able to do a lot of DS' work during that time. She is a social butterfly, and I know it will be hard next year for her (not going to ps). I am trying to find some girls her age that are hs, but I haven't had a lot of luck.

And my baby...yeh, that 3rd child thing. My other two were so calm at this age, or maybe I was just younger and could handle it better. :lol: It has really been a challenge. He is a horrible napper, so I don't really have that magical 2 hours of peace (although he sleeps well at night, so you can't have it all, I guess!). I think if I had nap time I would be sane. I NEED that time for me, to do a few tasks, to eat lunch, to recharge. I feel like I don't get the down time I need because I am always trying to keep the baby happy. So yeh. Totally get that. Loving the glue trap and plywood playpen roof ideas!! :lol: ( and the crazy thing...I want a 4th! :confused:)

And I have to say...don't let the happy faced children in the paper make you think that ps is better. I know the grass is always greener and all that...but my son was one of those kids last year. He was in ps in first grade, and it sounds like he is like your son....sensitive, not physical, wearing his heart on his sleeve. And oh, last year...I'm in tears thinking about it. I could go on and on about this, but it would bore you to death. But school is hard for kids like this. I am amazed at how young the bullying starts...these kids just KNOW the kids that will get upset and use it to their advantage. :( My son did well academically but really needed to be challenged more. I was lucky that he had an excellent teacher, but if he would have stayed this year there would have been 35!! kids in his class. With one teacher! At that point it becomes like babysitting and dealing with discipline issues all day...the teachers just cannot handle that size of class on their own. Especially with all of the troublemakers. It just isn't like when we were in school, and we had respect for our teachers at that age (at least I did, I feel like it was that way). I volunteered about 15-20 hours a week at the school and oh, the things that I saw.

Which is just one of many reasons why we are home now. Hopefully to stay. But it is hard to do it the way we want to do it, I know. I have had to let go of some of my hopes/wishes/plans/whatever, and just do what we can. As long as he is reading, writing, doing math, and more reading...we are good. I keep trying to get more creative about finding little bits of time here and there for other special things, and I have. Often we will do a history project in the evening or weekend when DH is home. Same with science. Daddy even helps. It has brought him into the whole hs thing, which is nice.

One more thing...if you can find outside classes for him, that would be great. Something that HE really wants to do. I know that my son is sort of shy (like me) and so for him to do an outside activity it has to be something special. I was lucky and found a couple of things and it has been good for all of us. He has had the chance to be around a lot of hs kids that are his age, and has enjoyed learning in another environment. It gets him out of the house a bit, in the fresh air (it is called earth school, and they do a lot of outside stuff), and it gives me time with his sister. If you have some homeschool groups in your area, you should definitely check them out. Even a weekly playdate or park day might help. It is good for the kids, but even better for the moms...meeting other people in your situation. You can find some friends, someone to talk with, get advice from, complain to..whatever. And they get it. Of course we are always here too, but I love to have some IRL people as well.

OK, I've gone on too long. Funny how I had time to write this but no time for math yet today. :lol: Of course my little one has been at my feet the whole time. Hang in there mama, I've heard it gets better! :D

(OK, didn't realize there was a smilie limit!! LOL Had to take out a few!)

Thanks for your lengthy reply even though it put off a math lesson! You did my heart good Our kids really do sound remarkably similar. Your scenario of read-alouds is pretty much identical to how it goes around here.

It really was so helpful for me to hear about your son's experience with ps. And no, it wouldn't bore me to death and might even further strengthen my newfound resolve to continue hs'ing, but I'm sure not wanting you to dwell on a time that was obviously heart-wrenching for you both! When I said one of the reasons I hs is because I want to shelter my kids, it's from things like bullying that I want to keep them away from. I don't want him to change who he is because being macho is safer in the playground.

And with the sexualization of girls these days, there's so much I want to protect her from. I was talking to a mom about the sex ed in school, and how young they're teaching kids things now. This mom who's daughter goes to ps said she talked to the principal about it, and the reason they do it so young is because the girls are basically preyed upon by the boys in the older grades. Yikes. In comparison, the fact that she'll be a bit lonely seems like a very small sacrifice.

Extracurricular stuff, I've just enrolled ds in several things for the new year, so hopefully that will keep his spirits up. As to hs'ing groups, I am involved with one, but it's quite small due to the area we live in and I've just not clicked with any other mom's there yet. They seem pretty close-knit, and hopefully I can step out more of my own shell and get more involved. Today actually held a great surprise. By chance, one of the few hs'd kids we know that's his age and he gets along with was in his afternoon gymnastics class! It was such a joy to see them standing in line waiting for their turn and holding hands When we parted ways in the parking lot, she asked him for one more hug. So sweet to see.

Thank you for the encouragement! And your right about the smilies - I had to delete all the ones in my post to write you back! lol

Yep. I feel like I'm having to re-learn how to parent with this child. However, no one could accuse her of not being confident or oppinionated. :D

You don't want to know what I've done to try to get her to take even a little bit of a nap. Something else that works every once in a while is for me to lay down with her just until she's asleep and then I get up. That only works every once in awhile for me. It works much more often for dh for some reason. :confused:

Then, sometimes I throw my hands in the air and put on a movie. :001_huh: I just gotta have some quiet every once in awhile.

Actually I would like to know what you've done! Might make me feel less guilty! I tried to turn his playpen upside down and put him under it! Didn't work :tongue_smilie:

It is nice to see you are able to have a sense of humor about it.

I think many of us go through this at some point. The boys and I had really gotten our stride when I got pregnant and was put on bed rest. Then came the c-section and now a 10 month old, I am still waiting/trying to get there.

It can be tough with little ones. We just need to breathe and do our best. One thing that has helped me has been the SOTW audio book. DS listens to it and then I can ask him questions and do his SOTW Lapbook. He can listen to it as many times as we want and it also means can read it when I want, like at night before bed, or when nursing.

Read a-louds were a big thing here, but I am finding it difficult to read as much as before. I work it in when can, and have my older children read to my 1st grader while I listen and do dishes or other chores. Again, audio books have played a big role hear. Have you tried reading to your toddler. Don't laugh at me yet. My first grader was a real terror, but began doing this and it helped him learn to sit still. It does take a while, but he learned and was eventually easy to distract from his mayhem with a book.

You can also get books online for history. Try Ambleside online, The Baldwin Project, and Project Guteberg. You can then just read your way through History as time allows.

Also, take full advantage of your dh. I request books from the library and he picks them up. Most importantly, give yourself a break. We are always our toughest judges. Don't beat yourself up. Remember, many public schools don't even teach History, they do Social Studies. So I would say your are ahead of the curve.:D

HTH

Daniellle

Thank you for all the ideas! I have tried reading with my toddler, and he enjoys it for a couple minutes if I make enough crazy noises to go with the things he points at. Oddly, I find making animal sounds to be something of a stress relief. Nothing is quite like trying to impersonate an elephant.

A sense of humour seems to be vital to surviving life with little ones.

Hey, you know what else might make you feel better? Read Raymond Moore's Better Late Than Early even if you don't plan to follow it. It'll make you feel better about what you ARE accomplishing. :D

I often comfort myself with the knowledge that Finland, with it's top-rated school system, doesn't being formal education until age 7!

I'm going to check out Moore's book again. Good tip!

:grouphug: Lots of sympathy here. Schmooey is 3 now, but when he was your little guy's age, I didn't think we were EVER going to get any school done again. He was into everything, had given up that precious morning nap, and was, I was sure, trying to drive me crazy, or at the very least, prevent anything educational happening in our house!

I read somewhere that when they are 3 1/2 they're supposed to be easier on the homeschooling. It seems like a REALLY REALLY LONG TIME AWAY when they're only 20 months. :D We're nearly there and it has gotten a little easier - although yesterday he got some tape and wrapped it around the couch, through the kitchen eating area all the way over to the pantry... that was nearly an entire roll of tape, I think. Quite a creation. I took pictures. One day when I was making dinner he unscrewed a door stop and used the screw end to punch holes in the walls in several places. Apparently it doesn't make much noise when you do that. :glare:

I think he has made me consider sending my older 2 to school more than anything else. He's a little better these days, but my oldest is COMPLETELY distractable and he is NEVER quiet. She won't work much if I'm not sitting there watching, and if he's in there with us he's talking or making noise somehow. It feels impossible.

Your oldest is pretty young still. I'm not the most experienced mom here, but I think the best thing for you is lowering your expectations a bit (this is hard for me; I should tell you about my grand plans for this year sometime and what the reality has been). Get the essentials done, and read a lot. You're getting math and reading done, working on handwriting and fine motor skills, and that's all you need to worry about at this point.

How would he take to audio books? My kids love them, and it would allow all the kiddos to hear the stories while you keep an eye on the little ones. You can move around and still hear the CDs. :-) History doesn't have to be crafts! History can be reading cool books! SOTW on CD and maybe some read-alouds to go along with - picture books, for sure! The library has lots of stuff (if you can stand to go there with all 3, I find that hard and I only have one really little person). If you have an MP3 player, there are tons and tons of free books and stories available, and if you have some $ to spend, there is just about everything you could ever want. (If you don't have an MP3 player you can still burn the free stuff onto CDs.)

I confess to you that Schmooey goes to preschool 2 mornings per week. He loves it and I love it. It sounds like that might not work for you if you're moving next year, unless you'll be in the same area, but it might really help you.

My girls are lonely too. We go to co-op 2x per month but there is only one other little girl in our neighborhood that we've met so far and she's very busy. I am not sure what to do about that, except that I was hoping to cut down on activities and it looks like we might need to ramp back up. Ugh. I have no good solution for that.

Sigh. I don't know if it feels better to know that someone else is in the same boat, but I am.

Have you ever seen the Confessions of a Homeschooler blog? She has TONS of great preschool stuff. She also has a wee child, and has workboxes set up for her. You can see the post about it here. I don't know what your school set up is, but if you had "school" for your little man with stuff he is allowed to get into, it might distract him long enough for you to get a couple of things done. Also, your 4 yo can be playing with him some while you work with your oldest. You're going to want them to get used to taking turns playing with him while the other works with you.

So - there you have it. My $.02 and ever so much more. :lol:

Your .02 is worth a bundle more than that! It's gone ahead and gotten late so I need to sleep lest I turn into a homeschoolingmommasaurusrex :eek: in the morning and bring terror to my wee flock, but it is good to hear of so many who are/have survived this stage!

I haven't read all the responses, but this line struck me in the OP's post. I don't think it's ridiculous at all (it's not one my personal goals, but I respect if it's one of yours). However, it is a negative goal. I don't mean a bad negative in a judgmental way at all, just that it's a goal to not do something as opposed to do something. If you want to get clearer about why you homeschool and maybe get your head into a more positive place, I would suggest figuring out your positive goals and focusing on those. You don't want him to experience the negative side of public schools or of whatever else in childhood is out there, but what *do* you want him to experience and how can you make that happen?

Good food for thought. Thank you :)

That gives me two good hours of one on one with whoever needs it. Right now that is when I do read alouds for history, science and lit for dd7 and ds4. Now, the other way I deal with the 2yo is by enlisting the help of my other dc. Every morning the three older dc have to each take a one hour turn with the 2yo. This way I get at least one hour of one on one with the others. I know your oldest is only 6 but there is plenty a 6 yo can do to entertain a 2yo. Even if its only 30 minutes you could get some work done with the 5yo. And how about a bubble bath for the two youngest while you work one on one with the 6 yo in the hallway? Also, don't underestimate the value of educational videos. We don't watch any tv but I do use educational videos to keep the 2yo and the 4yo occupied for short periods of time. (20 minutes ,even once a day, isn't going to ruin your dc)

Just remember that your dc are young. I don't know about where you live but in TN the mandatory age for children to be educated is 7; not 4, 5 or even 6. If you do nothing more than play games, read and make messes until each of your dc is 7 you will be fine. In fact you will find that many things that are difficult for a 5yo to learn will be learned and retained quickly in a 7 yo. Don't stress to much about the academics right now and remember that your dc are benefiting much more from being home with you everyday watching and helping you cook, clean, buy groceries, take care of them, see and experience how you interact with them and your dh, learning from each other by the way of playing and interacting and even fighting. There will be plenty of time for Christmas plays and such when they are a little older.

However, if getting them involved in activities outside of the home is something you want to try to pursue, have you looked into Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, youth programs through a church, does your community have a children's acting group or choir? What about sports activities that may be offered through your community center. Do you have any children's museums that offer clubs or programs? I know these types of things aren't for everyone but you never know what you are missing unless you give it a try. None of these activities demand a lifelong commitment.;)

Thanks for the ideas! I might have to resort to that for naptime, although I really hope not. Did you begin doing that at 18months when the crib-escaping began? I'm not sure what to do, but I know that he's not ready to give up napping so I've got to figure something.

Is there some scheme you can take advantage of? When dd5 and ds2 were 3 and 0 I found I was struggling to do schoolmwith the 7 and 6 yo. The 3 yo is a bouncy, boppy, joyful little thing, who also needed 30 minutes daily of speech therapy for dyspraxia.

Anyway, I found out that in the government would subsidies in home childcare (read nanny) in certain circumstances and I was eligible. We had a nanny three or four days a week, and as she was a final year early childhood teaching student she worked a lot with the kids. It started off that the plan was she would babysit the younger two and do lots of play, follow through with speech and ot therapy at home. She was brilliant, so it extended.

Is anything like that available for you? It's a bit weird always having someone else in your house, but it made the year so productive, and stopped me from ripping out my hair satisfying the needs of two little ones, and two schooling.

Hmmm... I know I don't know, but my ds is in the process of being possibly diagnosed with Asperger's which supposedly opens up quite a lot of support services. Maybe then. But if not, I think that come next fall when dd isn't in preschool, I'm going to put that money towards having a local teen come and babysit him in my home while I work with the others.

I'm also feeling overwhelmed with hs'ing at the moment. My just-turned 2yr old is really a challenge. I wish I could read to my KG'er more. I wish I wish I wish...

I try to find those plusses in hs'ing and remember that I might be just as miserable over other issues if they were in PS.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Thanks for the ideas! I might have to resort to that for naptime, although I really hope not. Did you begin doing that at 18months when the crib-escaping began? I'm not sure what to do, but I know that he's not ready to give up napping so I've got to figure something.

Yes, at 18 months she became the escape artist. I tried tying a sheet tightly over the top of the crib...ripped it off. Bought one of those expensive crib toppers...ripped it off. Put the playpen upside-down...crawled out from under it once and flipped it over the next. We turned her crib into a daybed because I was scarred to death she was going to end up falling on her head. I believe we have been closing her in the room for naps and bedtime for about 5 months now. At first she would bang on the door and scream her head off and I don't mean a "I'm scared or lonely" scream, I mean a "I am p'd off so someone come open this door" scream. She is slowly getting the idea. I have noticed that in the last month or so she has been falling asleep much faster and falling asleep in the bed instead of on the floor. She still gets up before we are ready for her and she will bang a couple times on the door and then go play...I can peek under the door and see what she is doing.:tongue_smilie: It really has been a matter of training her to be okay with being on her own for a couple of hours, and like I said previously, she has gotten much better. She usually sleeps for at least an hour and a half of the 2 hours she is in there.

We have to keep the door closed at night just simply for safety issues. The first time we realized that she could climb out of the crib was on a Sat. morning. She usually woke me up about 8 (I have a monitor right next to my bed) but on this morning I woke up at 9 and didn't hear her so I assumed she was still sleeping. I got excited about getting to get a cup of tea without her and when I went downstairs I found her sitting in the pantry eating cereal out of the box.:eek: We also found that she had emptied every drawer in her room and dumped every single toy out on the floor; hence the reason we had to take everything out of the room.

Honestly I don't have a problem teaching her to chill on her own for a while because as my dc get older they are all required to take rest breaks and entertain themselves at some point.

Hang in there.:grouphug:

You made me laugh out loud! I had the same thought with my ds (3). Now he's in a bed and there are times I wish I could tie him to it.