Menu

naming our homeschool

We have to name our school in order to register with our new state. Does anybody have any ideas? We don't want our last name or street name. Nothing religious, of course. We've been thinking all morning and can't come up with anything! We need it to be something good since it will (hopefully!) show up on transcripts in a few years.

When we first starting hsing in California, our Official Name was "Freedom Learning Center." I had just read all of John Holt's books, and didn't want the word "school" in there anywhere. :lol: Several years later, my dds said, "Mom, we can't tell people that we go to Freedom Learning Center." So I changed the name to Southeast San Diego Christian Academy. :D

Do you have a favorite character from a book? a favorite location from a book?

We have to name our school in order to register with our new state. Does anybody have any ideas? We don't want our last name or street name. Nothing religious, of course. We've been thinking all morning and can't come up with anything! We need it to be something good since it will (hopefully!) show up on transcripts in a few years.

I let our twins come up with the name. They went with "Homestead Academy"-LOL. Not very creative but it works.

I wanted something religious but we may be the only ones who can see it - Anchor Academy - "For in the dark and stormy gale, my anchor holds within the veil."

I have friends who did Knights Academy but in Latin. Another friend used a favorite vacation place.

Like you said, it will show up on transcripts and anything else official in the state - also NC here. If you do graduation at the conference, then it will show up there as well. And it's near impossible to change. I think you have to close your school.

I didn't want to use our last name either, so I looked up the meaning of our last name. It means Bent Grass Meadow, so I used that we became Bent Grass Prep School. James Bond said "meadow" sounded girly, so I didn't put that in the name (I guess it's a good thing we're having another boy). Maybe you can find out what your last name means and work that into your school name?

Ours is Strawberry School. I chose the name when my oldest was 2 or 3. I needed it for something-preK supplies, I think. I have red hair, my oldest is strawberry blond. My company name is Strawberry Baby. Clever, no?

If I can ever convince my children to change the name, I would like The School of Peace and Harmony, because that is what we strive for in our home. Peace and harmony.

Thanks for the suggestions! I looked up the meaning of our last name and it means Mother. I figured anything using that in any form would sound too homeschooly.

We voted and the decision is.. Magnolia Academy. There's a Magnolia tree in our yard, plus it has to do with our location a tiny bit. DH suggested Magnolia Classical Academy. I was floored that he even knew we strive for a classical education and I do think it sounds better but I don't want to be locked into this method of homeschooling just in case we move away from it when they're older. I still have an hour before the site opens to think about it.

Our state insisted on a name and we spent a long time coming up with one. But they have never used it. The send our mail to "last name"-homeschool.

My daughter's soccer coach put down "our street- School for Girls" when he had to put a name on her forms.

And nobody has seen these names unless they are on forms that already have our last name or street name, so it hasn't been a big deal.