Menu

instant coffee drinkers ...

I love coffee. My dh doesn't. I only want 1-2 cups a day, and not even every day. I had a small coffee maker that died, then I had a large one I bought cheap that DH accidently broke in the move. I have always kept instant coffee on hand for recipes and have decided that I might as well drink it, especially since I can't afford the Keurig :crying: And, I admit I like having more counter space. I can't drink the International Coffees because most have dairy added and I can't drink dairy.

So, what kinds of instant coffee do you prefer? Is there a brand you like? I don't care if it is decaf or regular.

I love coffee. My dh doesn't. I only want 1-2 cups a day, and not even every day. I had a small coffee maker that died, then I had a large one I bought cheap that DH accidently broke in the move. I have always kept instant coffee on hand for recipes and have decided that I might as well drink it, especially since I can't afford the Keurig :crying: And, I admit I like having more counter space. I can't drink the International Coffees because most have dairy added and I can't drink dairy.

So, what kinds of instant coffee do you prefer? Is there a brand you like? I don't care if it is decaf or regular.

Have you seen the Keurig Mini? It's a lot cheaper than the others. (I'm planning to get this one myself)

Instant coffee - we usually buy the Maxwell House Original Roast. (and then I dump a lot of flavored creamer into it LOL - I want that Keurig mainly for all the different flavors of coffee.)

What about just getting a French Press? All you need is ground coffee and a kettle to boil water and you get absolutely deeee-licious coffee!! And it's healthier than instant. :) Here's another link for more info.

FWIW, I LOVE my French Press but I don't always grind my own beans when I'm pressed for time and have had good success with buying pre-ground coffee.

I love coffee! I like different kinds, I drink it black or with cream depending on what I have a taste for...I drink espresso or lattes or iced. I can tell the difference between different roasts.

Though we all love coffee and have a favorite local coffee shop...we don't own a coffee maker! It just has never been worth the counter space. When we drink coffee at home we drink instant! There I said it, "I LOVE COFFEE AND I DRINK INSTANT!" I know people who think we're insane, oh well.

We like Tasters Choice but really haven't bothered trying other brands. I think they sent me free samples. If you look on their website they may have a place to request samples.

To me the big difference is measuring. We started with the single serving packets with the proper amount of water, 6 oz. I think a lot of people dump a spoonful into their favorite giant mug and then are surprised it tastes weak, KWIM? We don't use a measuring cup anymore because we all know the proper water level in our favorite mugs. Also, now we buy the big jar because it is cheaper than the single servings. We measured a single serving pack in order to see how much coffee we should measure from the jar (the jar gives a "range" of "dosage").

So, my advice is to pay attention to the measurements until it is to your liking, don't let the coffee "police" get you down, and try the different roasts (we found we like the stronger roasts).

Here are our favorites: single serving and jar

http://www.tasterschoice.com/products/Single-Serve100Colombian.aspx

http://www.tasterschoice.com/products/FrenchRoast.aspx

ps We heat up a kettle of water and keep it in a thermos type pot, the kind where you push down to dispense the water. We use this for coffee, tea or cocoa throughout the day.

I like the coffee bags, like tea bags only with coffee in them. My favorite brand is Folger's. I think the bags taste better than that dry granule stuff.

:iagree: I prefer brewed but if that's not an option the Folger's bags are a pretty close second! Even the decaf ones are pretty good.

I searched this topic on the Chowhound forums one time, figuring that there must be some food snobs who drink instant coffee. :D

Nescafe Clasico (not regular Nescafe!) seemed to be the best bet for a very good inexpensive instant coffee, though there were a few other recommendations too. There are more reviews of Nescafe Clasico under this Amazon listing, but the price is higher than the first one I linked.

I was able to find it at my local grocery store, but in an area with few Spanish speakers you might need to buy it online.

I do drink Starbucks instant too, but it tastes over-roasted to me, and certainly not worth the price compared to Nescafe Clasico!

Edited by jplain

I searched this topic on the Chowhound forums one time, figuring that there must be some food snobs who drink instant coffee. :D

Nescafe Clasico (not regular Nescafe!) seemed to be the best bet for a very good inexpensive instant coffee, though there were a few other recommendations too. There are more reviews of Nescafe Clasico under this Amazon listing, but the price is higher than the first one I linked.

I was able to find it at my local grocery store, but in an area with few Spanish speakers you might need to buy it online.

I do drink Starbucks instant too, but it tastes over-roasted to me, and certainly not worth the price compared to Nescafe Clasico!

I have seen the Nescafe Clasico at our local Big Lots lately

and considered it. Maybe I will run by and pick some up...

Thanks for all the other suggestions as well. I was looking at the instant coffees at Kroger yesterday but didn't see Starbucks. I will watch for it though. I don't think their coffee shop is that spectacular but maybe instant at home will taste better.

As far as the press, hmmm. I may look into one of those as well. One of my roommates in college had one and loved it but I wasn't a coffee drinker yet. Well, that and she had some really weird ideas so I thought the press was another one of those LOL.