Menu

Christmas morning breakfast....

We enjoy Pork Tourtier for Christmas breakfast with Honeyed Grapefruit.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/french-canadian-tourtiere/Detail.aspx

This recipe is close to the one my family passes down.....except I do not add the ground beef (extra pork is fine but not needed). I also add in two stalks of chopped celery with the onion and (ETA: about 2 cups mashed potatoes). It is yummy with ketchup!!

My kids love it!!!

Edited by Once
missed the mashed potatoes!!

Rice Version. Haven't heard of the other versions. Just asked DH and he said he hasn't heard of those versions before.

This is the same side of the family that enjoys lutefisk dinners every year! Grandma used to make lutefisk to go with the prime rib & yorkshire pudding for Christmas dinner too.

Ah! Rice porridge! Risengrynsgrøt! That's our personal favorite, too! It's traditionally a supper, but, I being of British descent, think it makes a delightful breakfast. I've never been able to convince dh, though. :D The sour cream porridge, Rømmegrøt, is the traditional Christmas porridge in his part of Norway, often as a dessert after the dinner, or as supper itself. If you leave a bowl out in the evening for the Julenisse, he won't play tricks on you, like souring the butter, for the entire year ;)

Funny aside--- Dh and his family in Norway get a kick out of anyone willingly eating lutefisk! It's no longer popular in Norway, being considered poor man's food. But although they don't like it, and no one we know in Norway eats it, they are tickled pink when they hear of Norwegian-Americans who carry on the traditions! Dh's mom said that she loves to visit America to see all the Norwegian heritage still proudly followed. :)

---Medieval Mom, who is not Scandinavian at all... ;)

I make coffee cake. My Mom made it every Christmas morning so I carry on the tradition.

This is always what I do as well, for the same reason. However, dh doesn't like sweet for breakfast. :confused: Typically, I make this and an egg casserole of some sort, but this year a friend made a batch of Ree's Cinnamon Rolls as a gift sooo... I'm guessing the coffee cake will have to go by the wayside this year.

Unless... we eat the cinnamon rolls for breakfast tomorrow! Not a bad idea! :D

I'm making a quiche and Alton Brown's overnight cinnamon rolls. Both can be made tomorrow afternoon and refrigerated. I'll bake the cinnamon rolls on Saturday morning. I also have a stollen, but I'm the only one who will eat it :) which is fine with me because the fruit is marinating in DiSaronna and orange extract right now. MMMMMM.

A frittata would be good. I usually make mine with mushrooms, (of course eggs), red bell peppers, vidalia onions, cheese, and bacon pieces. I also make grit casseroles in ramekins with grits, cheese, green onions, cayenne pepper, and bacon pieces. They are easy and everyone loves them (even the ones that don't like grits). Of course, if you live North of the Mason Dixon, you will probably skip the grits!

I just googled it - we made one four years ago for Christmas morning (again, a googled recipe) and dh really wanted it again. Basically, you brown your sausages before putting them in and then cut them into pieces. You can layer tater tots with sausage and cheese and then pour eggs beaten with some milk on top. I'll be putting it in my crock pot on low all night.

Oh, that sounds good! Thanks for sharing, I'll have to try it this year.