Menu

I think I am changing my mind about SOTW

TheAutumnOak

I know, I don't sound very convincing in that title...I am just not sure yet...I went to Barnes and Noble to get a look at SOTW Vol. 1 (many B&N's sell them so check online to see if one near you sells it so you can see before you buy)...I am just not sure I am going to get it...I went back and looked at the MOH website, and I am really liking the way it looks and the way it appears to be set up...

My possible issue with SOTW (and someone who has used it can tell me if I am right or wrong about this) is that it seems to include both historical things and things that could be considered fiction (like mythology) and I cannot tell the difference between the two...I am not a major history person...I am afraid the book will introduce a "historical figure" and I wouldn't know if the person is real or not without researching it...As I said, history is not my strong suit...

Does this also happen in MOH?

I was set on using SOTW, but now I am just not sure...

That's exactly what I've struggled with in SOTW--and I've read many threads on this forum of people talking about that same thing. I'd suggest doing a search for SOTW threads, something like "SOTW Mythology". You can also read a lot of the discussion on the MFW board at mfwbooks.com. I'll be interested to hear what people on here say as well. That being said, I have decided to use My Father's World which doesn't use SOTW1 but uses the other volumes. Hopefully the TM will give the guidance I need in these areas.

Knowing the stories in a culture is key to understanding that culture. That is why myths are included.

The vast majority of SOTW is historical fact. They myths are NOT in every chapter or even most chapters. They are an enriching feature of the series but not overly dominant at all.

I have never had any confusion in SOTW with what is myth and what is not. SWB does a great job of introducing each story specifically as a story or a myth--there is no ambiguity in the way she introduces things.

There are the most myths in the first book on ancients, and progressively less in each subsequent book. I don't think there are any myths in #4. (???) This is appropriate, and normal to many other history series as well.

I greatly preferred MOH vol 1 to SOTW vol 1. Part of the reason we did not use SOTW vol 1 was the fictional stories. It just never worked for us.

Now having said that, was absolutely loved SOTW vol 2 and are currently enjoying vol 4 a great deal. We did not like MOH vol 2 (although I did use it to supplement SOTW vol 2) and we were off sequence with MOH vol 3 when it came out.

I think a lot of these likes/dislikes came from the ages/stages of my dc at the time. My oldest at the SOTW vol 1 time, did not like the style of SOTW vol 1. She is such a "just the facts" type learner when it comes to history. She has never liked the literature approach. The does not like the chatty style of Apologia either by the way. She found the stories in vol 1 distracting. But, she enjoyed the conversational style of MOH vol 1. The lessons were short and the information presented in a way she liked and could remember.

Each dc has their own interests and learning style. That is why I'm so grateful for so many different choices when it comes to history! If you chose not to use SOTW vol 1, don't let that keep you from looking at the other volumes down the road. You might find they are just the thing you like at a different point.

The myths are my kids' favorite parts! I think SWB makes it very clear what is myth and what is fact. I think the stories make it more engaging, especially for young grammar-stage kids. My knowledge of history is limited--I knew basically nothing about world history before we started SOTW and have loved learning it with my kids.

My ds was 6 last year when we did SOTW 1, and he loves the stories. In fact, the stories helped him remember the facts better. This year we're doing SOTW 2 and the stories help spark his imagination and understand the backdrop of the time and culture better.

I think you are going to have this problem with any text on ancient history, particularly for little kids. The new edition of SOTW 1 clearly marks myths with lines around them. But there are a lot of ancient historical figures that are truly part myth part reality.

I think that the myths included ARE part of the historical fact. You can't study ancient Egyptian, Greek, or Roman history without studying the myths and legends of the gods that were so integrated into their culture. I think some of that is even presented in regular textbook history. I've only read the first volume, but it seems fairly clear in what's real and what isn't. I think you could actually get into some pretty good discussions about what people did believe in those times. Just my $0.02.

Thanks for all of the help you guys!...I just skimmed through it at the store and wasn't sure how it was set up...I have no problem with myths, I just wasn't sure if I would know the difference ;)

I am still deciding, but will not give up on SOTW...Am I in danger of becoming one of those moms who buy two things for one subject?! :tongue_smilie:

This is one of my biggest problems with SOTW as well. It's not that it includes mythology or imagines people. I think both of those are wonderful tools for exploring history. It's that it switches between the three things - history, myth, and "imagine you're a kid in such and such a place..." really quickly in ways that I don't think can possibly be clear to K-3rd graders. Sometimes there will be a single chapter with all three! When the myths are told as stories, they're separated by a little sidebar line, which helps, but not that much when your kids are hearing it as a read aloud. I ended up clarifying a good bit. And I ended up skipping most of the myths because we were using so many supplemental resources and for the ancients most of those were myths anyway.

This particular problem lessens in each volume, but in the first one, it really annoyed me. Still, I used it and I would say it was the best resource I considered.

The myths are very clearly marked as such. For example, in Chapter 2 of SOTW1, section "Gods of Ancients Egypt", it says: "Here's the myth of Osiris as an Egyptian child might have heard it from his mother long ago.", then there are lines on either side of the text that tells the myth. So it is obvious where she has switched to telling a myth. Then when she gets to Gilgamesh later on, she says "The story of Gilgamesh is one of the oldest fairy tales in the world!", then again tells the story with lines on either side of the passage, so it's obvious that that is part of the myth.

Biblical stories are not called myths (so non-Christians might take issues with that), but it will say something like "The book of Genesis, in the Bible, tells us about Abram" and then again marks that section with lines on either side. So if you believe that to be a myth, it's still easy to call it such, or if you believe it to be the truth, you can call it that. She leaves that open to interpretation, but marks it clearly.

Another option to consider....the books by M.B. Synge. I believe there are four or five and also called the Story of the World series (??--not sure right now). At any rate, we are reading The Discovery of New Worlds which starts with the fall of Rome into the Middle Ages. I like this series better than SOTW. It doesn't have the activity books, etc. if that is what you are looking for, however.

. There are stories intertwined, but it is always presented as such (a fictional story).

:iagree:

Knowing the stories in a culture is key to understanding that culture. That is why myths are included.

The vast majority of SOTW is historical fact. They myths are NOT in every chapter or even most chapters. They are an enriching feature of the series but not overly dominant at all.

I have never had any confusion in SOTW with what is myth and what is not. SWB does a great job of introducing each story specifically as a story or a myth--there is no ambiguity in the way she introduces things.

I'd be surprised if any history curr. did not include the myths of the culture. When we read the epic of Gilgamesh, I told ds it was the first 'fairy tale.' He understood that just fine.

ITA that SOTW makes it clear what is a myth-based story. My 5 year old seems to be straight on what it is as well. We have enjoyed it greatly!

The myths are my kids' favorite parts! I think SWB makes it very clear what is myth and what is fact. I think the stories make it more engaging, especially for young grammar-stage kids. My knowledge of history is limited--I knew basically nothing about world history before we started SOTW and have loved learning it with my kids.

:iagree: with everyone who says that the fact/myth/story divisions are clearly marked. I'm another whose child loooves the story element. So much in fact that, over the last three days, my eight year old read the entire book. And she's about a third of the way through a second reading. :001_huh:

I just try to remember that she's in third grade. My goal now is not for her to gain an encyclopedic knowledge of ancient history, but a general understanding of the flow of the history and a love of learning. So I have tried to stop obsessing on finding/developing the "perfect" curriculum. HTH.

I had major worries about this aspect of SOTW, and my DH still grinds his teeth a bit when he flips through and sees JudeoChristian mythology presented as historical fact, but truly, my DS is never confused and looooooooves the mythology angle. The only on-the-fly editing I do is to introduce myths with "the Egyptian tradition tells us that" and "the West African tradition tells us that" and "our Jewish tradition tells us that..."' etc., just to make it very clear that we're straying into the territory of legend.

I also skipped the chapter about Abram's journey to Canaan, because it's extensively covered in Hebrew school and I think that's where it SHOULD be covered. When we get to the Jesus chapter, we'll probably cover that as a language arts study with supplementary readings and some NT verses to memorize. But we won't be treating it as history.

We love the stories, the myths, the fictions and all. My kids would want to listen to history during lunch time. They would put in the CD while they eat lunch. They ask to listen to it in the car, any chance they get.

They do know the difference between fiction, myths and facts. So don't underestimate yourselves or your kids.

My two sons have done SOTW twice now. Volume 1 does start off with a lot of mythology. Volumes 3 &4 goes away from the mythology and keeps to the facts. The thing is that a lot of history in the ancient past is based upon mythology. The Trojan War and the Odyssey are historical with mythology mixed. I think that it helps the child understand the culture.

Mystery of History is terrific too!

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I think it's an excellent resource but should be used with caution: I'm not 100% happy about it, but it's the best that I have seen for the purpose of giving young children an engaging as comprehensive (as far as practical) overview of history. To me, Bible stories don't have any more basis in historical reality than any other mythology, so I do find the Christian bias very evident, but on the other hand, it is fairly easy to modify on the fly if you're reading out loud. Depending on the age/stage of the children, you can also use some of the inevitable bias as a jumping off point to discuss how and why there are always multiple views of history.

There are the most myths in the first book on ancients, and progressively less in each subsequent book. I don't think there are any myths in #4. (???) This is appropriate, and normal to many other history series as well.

:iagree: We are using Volume 2 right now. This week we read a Norse myth. It was very clear that it was a just a story that the people told. My children weren't confused about it and I certainly wasn't. I'm confused at how people get confused. The text is perfectly clear even for children.

:iagree: We are using Volume 2 right now. This week we read a Norse myth. It was very clear that it was a just a story that the people told. My children weren't confused about it and I certainly wasn't. I'm confused at how people get confused. The text is perfectly clear even for children.

:iagree: We're at the same place! Was it about Thor? My ds loves all the stories, and it helps him connect the people and places he's learning about.

Funny I saw this because I'm was going to post something too but little different. Being new to all this (homeschooling/classical), I loved the ideas when I read WTM and the much needed layout she presented. I checked out vol 1 from the library and liked it except that it called Mohammad a prophet (my personal opinion). I didn't get that far into it with the boys until I decided I need to go to the modern age which would be what ds10 would be doing if we had started from the beginning. Maybe the wrong thought process but I'm not a history buff by any stretch.

So today I went to get vol 4 and flipped through it and was disappointed in it. Nothing was mentioned about Indians. Maybe it's in vol. 3, I don't know. The library didn't have it. But it seems to go very rapidly giving only 5 pages or so to the Civil War.

I get it that it's the story of the "World" but I guess I was expecting a little more American History in it. Also, flipping through this book causes me to realize just how much I don't know:confused:. So when will they get a deep learning of American History? I don't have the book here to refer to.

Btw..what curr is MOH? I'm learning!!

I'm a history teacher by vocation and this year I've been homeschooling my two boys using SOTW v1. I think for as introductory text for Ancients, it has been great. For first graders, it lays a good foundation of the facts and presents them in an interesting manner. I'm sure we'll continue on with the other volumes. Unfortunately, we just don't have time to do a lot of the craft projects in the activity book.

From my experience so far, it's pretty clearly stated what is fact and what is fiction. The stories are important, because it introduces the kids to the classical way of doing History. The stories are are primary resources that give insight into their culture and values. If we're going to be doing that with the great books later on, we might as well start now.

Hm. I have used SOTW through volume 3 and have never been confused by real verses mythological people. I am not a history buff by any stretch either. There are stories intertwined, but it is always presented as such (a fictional story). I think the stories help one understand what was going on at the time (what people were thinking, etc.). And if nothing else the stories make it more interesting. We read a lot of the books suggested in the activity guide as well. It is much more interesting and less dry than many traditional school history textbooks.

:iagree:Each time a story is a myth or legend it is stated as such. like this, "one story that was told to children during this time goes like this..." or "Greeks told many stories about their gods, here is one of the stories they told..." Biblical things are treated this way, "The Bible tells this about Abraham..."

I don't think there could be any confusion about real or legendary people. Everything we read in SOTW seems to jive with the history encyclopedias we have.

Oh I also meant to say that when I was reading chapter one in vol 1, ds10 seemed more concerned about the flying carpet and how it went back in time! UGH! He doesn't have a very vivid imagination:glare:

This is too funny! We have always homeschooled and read lots of history books. My dss10 and 11 said the other day: "Mom, why does everyone use the time machine and flying carpet thing in history. We are so bored of this."

Anyway, your son will get over this and find the facts more interesting. Eventually.

Susie

Funny I saw this because I'm was going to post something too but little different. Being new to all this (homeschooling/classical), I loved the ideas when I read WTM and the much needed layout she presented. I checked out vol 1 from the library and liked it except that it called Mohammad a prophet (my personal opinion). I didn't get that far into it with the boys until I decided I need to go to the modern age which would be what ds10 would be doing if we had started from the beginning. Maybe the wrong thought process but I'm not a history buff by any stretch.

So today I went to get vol 4 and flipped through it and was disappointed in it. Nothing was mentioned about Indians. Maybe it's in vol. 3, I don't know. The library didn't have it. But it seems to go very rapidly giving only 5 pages or so to the Civil War.

I get it that it's the story of the "World" but I guess I was expecting a little more American History in it. Also, flipping through this book causes me to realize just how much I don't know:confused:. So when will they get a deep learning of American History? I don't have the book here to refer to.

Btw..what curr is MOH? I'm learning!!

I know that many on this board do a separate American History at some point. Imho, SOTW does cover all of american history. It is simply spread out over 4 years. Most of American History happens in SOTW 3 with some native history in 1 and 2. Columbus is in volume 2. I would say that my boys' understanding of american history is at least as good, if not better, than that of all their schooled friends. That said we do, and always did, read lots of supporting literature and this helps as well. Even volume 4 has a lot of american histoy in it. It is a lot less obvious at first because history in the modern age is so much more intertwined than in ancient times.

Susie