Menu

Funnix will be available for free as of Jan. 3. FREE READING PROGRAM

Stacy in NJ

Does anybody have the PDF for the student workbook? I can't get it to work... it's the one for the first part...

I so want to start this tomorrow with my little guy, but I can't get the workbook to download... I got the teacher manual fine.

Please PM me if you could send the PDF file to me... I'll give you my email in the PM... Thanks!

ETA: ARgggg... now I can't get the first part to install... 2nd part does though... grrrrrr....

I have the file now! Thanks so much! I have yet to open the program, but they all installed! Hopefully this is it!

Edited by robsiew

Guest RecumbentHeart
Does anybody have the PDF for the student workbook? I can't get it to work... it's the one for the first part...

I so want to start this tomorrow with my little guy, but I can't get the workbook to download... I got the teacher manual fine.

Please PM me if you could send the PDF file to me... I'll give you my email in the PM... Thanks!

its a 23mb file ... i would send it but not sure if i can attach a file that big to my email.

Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the lessons? I watched Lesson 1 by myself, just wanted to check it out, but now when I open the program, it is automatically going to Lesson 2.

Plus I was planning on having my boys watch it on their own, so would like to be able reset the lesson after the first child does it. Has anyone figured this out?

So I can see this being a free program, but who the heck is paying the big bucks for this!?!?!?

Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the lessons? I watched Lesson 1 by myself, just wanted to check it out, but now when I open the program, it is automatically going to Lesson 2.

Plus I was planning on having my boys watch it on their own, so would like to be able reset the lesson after the first child does it. Has anyone figured this out?

So I can see this being a free program, but who the heck is paying the big bucks for this!?!?!?

Thanks for that heads-up. I almost looked at lesson 1 myself too, but I didn't yet. Now I'll wait to sit with my daughter and just have her do it. You could e-mail them and ask if resetting is possible.

As far as who's paying for this, here's what the website said, "What is Zig Engelmann's reason for providing this amazing give-away? He indicated, "We've been trying for years to do things that make schools successful, particularly with young kids and lower performers. We figured that we're in a position to offer schools and parents a stimulus package that could be worth a lot for every kid who otherwise would not be accelerated or who would be a reading failure. Why not make the electronic package available to anybody who needs it? It doesn't cost us much to do it, and it could help in a small way to counteract the effects of bankrupt schools and dismal times."

I think it's pretty cool that he's doing this. It's normally $249 + $18.95 shipping (which is crazy to pay THAT much!). It would be interesting to know how many parents and schools will end up taking advantage of this offer this month.

The lesson # is clickable. just type in the right lesson #.

I do not know how long it will last but it was nice for a day anyway :lol:

I'm wondering the same thing. We did 2 lessons yesterday and 2 today. DD would have done lots more, but ds (who is a wiggly and chases squirrels more than any dog I've ever seen) was kinda all over the place. He had trouble sitting still. That's usually the first indicator to me that he's getting bored. We'll see. Maybe I'll just tell them that we need to stop after 1 lesson even if they ask for more.

When you open Funnix 2, you have the option of viewing a very helpful tutorial on using the program. It will show you how to change the lesson numbers.

One more thing: I had to try downloading each file 3 or 4 times before I was able to get one that would install. I'm not sure if it had to do with my PC or the file being corrupted during download (internet problems?), but I'm just sharing that in case someone else is also encountering problems. It's worth the hassle of downloading. I've spent a lot of time looking through it and it is *great.*

One more thing: I had to try downloading each file 3 or 4 times before I was able to get one that would install. I'm not sure if it had to do with my PC or the file being corrupted during download (internet problems?), but I'm just sharing that in case someone else is also encountering problems. It's worth the hassle of downloading. I've spent a lot of time looking through it and it is *great.*

:iagree:

I had to download a couple of them twice. I haven't had much time to look through it yet but we did the placement test last night and will be starting today.

Cool. I just downloaded lessons 1-40 and it took me about 25 minutes to download for my PC (I have Verizon DSL). I watched the whole first lesson with no problems and was able to view and save and/or print the workbook pages and the teachers' guide.

Then I downloaded the second part of Funnix 1 (lessons 41-120). It also took about 25 minutes to download and it installed and opened/ran with no problems.

I'm going to see if my son has any interest in checking this out (he just turned 5 in November and wasn't interested/focused enough to do K this year so we're basically doing another year of informal preschool, but I'll see if any of this will hold his interest and see how it goes! I'm not going to push it if he's not interested... but even if I hold off on it for now, it's nice that it's available for free)!

Going to try the first lesson with him now and see how it goes! I'll update!

ETA: Okay we just did the first lesson! It went pretty well! This is a 5 y/o who recognizes many but not all of his letters (he got four out of five right on that testing line- he missed the "r") and who has had no interest in any sort of "school" as of yet, but it did seem to engage him and hold his interest. He loves computer games so the fact that this was something he was doing on a computer was a plus for him. He did get a little silly/wiggly for some of it but I was able to get him refocused pretty quickly. I think if we find a calmer time of day at which to do future lessons it should go well. I'm going to continue with lesson 2 tomorrow and just kind of do this with fun and no pressure and see how it goes.

I also got the Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD in the mail today and I will let him watch that tomorrow so maybe that will help reinforce more of the letters which may make this easier.

Going to download Funnix2 now.

ETA: Okay funnix2 is downloaded- I didn't have any problems downloading/installing/running any of these things.

Edited by NanceXToo

I am having major issues it will not let me pick a folder for it it acts like I haven't clicked on anything I am in no way bragging but this is a brand new computer as in 2 days old so I know it is not pc issues Any ideas TIA

I had this problem for parts 2 and 3, and downloaded them a second time. They installed OK that time.

I am having major issues it will not let me pick a folder for it it acts like I haven't clicked on anything I am in no way bragging but this is a brand new computer as in 2 days old so I know it is not pc issues Any ideas TIA

What message are you getting? I kept getting "please select another location to extract the file to" :tongue_smilie: On the... 3rd? ... download everything worked.

I had problems all day yesterday. Re-downloaded everything twice, still nothing (not the pdfs, they downloaded fine, as usual). I finally decided to try Safari instead of Firefox and it worked fine. :confused: I've never had a problem downloading zip files on Firefox before, so I'm not sure what the problem was, but I'm just glad I finally got it to work!

The teacher's guide pdf tells about being able to change the exercise number as well as other things like placement of your child in the program, acceleration, how to work with more than one student at a time, etc. Very helpful!

What message are you getting? I kept getting "please select another location to extract the file to" :tongue_smilie: On the... 3rd? ... download everything worked.

:iagree: YES!! THIS!!! I am going nuts. I thought it was just me that was getting this error. I've looked at it, my husband has looked at it, and I asked the company to send me another download code....nothing has worked. I'm going to try installing it on my laptop instead. I am SO frustrated!!!

:iagree: YES!! THIS!!! I am going nuts. I thought it was just me that was getting this error. I've looked at it, my husband has looked at it, and I asked the company to send me another download code....nothing has worked. I'm going to try installing it on my laptop instead. I am SO frustrated!!!

I, too, would get this error. It meant the file had not successfully downloaded. I only know this because after my third attempt for the first 2 downloads, the file size was larger and then when I clicked run, it did not give me the above error that had happened the first 2 times, but instead did just like the directions said. So, hopefully you'll finally get it to download.

I really want the Funnix2 (third part) but will try it again tomorrow.

For those who have downloading issues, try using Mozilla Firefox. It's the 2nd most popular web browser after Internet Explorer.

Once you install Firefox, there is an add-on called DownThemAll which you can install within Firefox through the Tools > Add-ons menu. DownThemAll will allow you to save the funnix downloads in the directory of your choice. And once downloaded, you can just double-click it to run.

For those who have downloading issues, try using Mozilla Firefox. It's the 2nd most popular web browser after Internet Explorer.

Once you install Firefox, there is an add-on called DownThemAll which you can install within Firefox through the Tools > Add-ons menu. DownThemAll will allow you to save the funnix downloads in the directory of your choice. And once downloaded, you can just double-click it to run.

I didn't know about the "downloadthemall" thing but just to throw it out there, I DO use firefox and I had NO issues with downloading/installing/running any of these funnix things.

I downloaded firefox when i type the link for lesson1-40 into the address bar it takes me to a search web page. I am thinking it is something like google it won't pop up the download. I tried over and over I typed I copied and pasted (not a clickable link) no matter what it takes me there any ideas??

I am going with the downthemall app on firefox so far so good it says 3 are complete so I guess we shall see. I had a heck of a time figuring out how to add the links that were not clickable though. They now have a notice on their site about people trying to download and having problems basically says they are overloaded lol. They never did answer my email though about the choose folder issue :( If I payed for this I would be hot

We signed up for Funnix this morning and we are having the same issue as many of you, trying to install and it says "choose a location". I've emailed them twice and they answered quickly but weren't very helpful. :( I explained, in detail the problem we were having, told them where I tried to install it (3 different drives including the C: ) and I got a response saying that you can only install it on the C: and you may want to try re-downloading it. Fine. I erased the original download and tried downloading it again. The file is 497mb and takes a good 25 minutes to download on my high speed, hard wired connection. Tried installing again, only on the C: drive this time, exact same problem. Emailed them again and was told...

"Unfortunately we cannot control the web traffic. All I can tell you is to keep on trying starting out with the email that was sent out. It has taken others many many times before it worked. There are thousands of people trying to download this. It will eventually work."

That is the entire response I got after telling them it would not install the second time. :glare: I don't like that the program does not tell me what the installation problem is (it doesn't tell me why the install is failing, it just tells me that I need to choose a new location....if I don't know what was wrong with the original location, how can I correctly choose a new location?) I even tried going to the website of the maker of the install software to no avail.

My computer more than exceeds the program requirements, I am using Firefox (and always have....might try downloading it on IE later but I somehow doubt that's the problem...) ...I suppose it could be a corrupted file I'm getting but twice in a row, with the same problem?....so far I'm not impressed :glare:

Might try one more time to download this late tonight when hopefully the server might not be so overloaded...always wanted to try Funnix, but right now I'm quite glad I haven't spent any money on it. :glare:

We signed up for Funnix this morning and we are having the same issue as many of you, trying to install and it says "choose a location". I've emailed them twice and they answered quickly but weren't very helpful. :( I explained, in detail the problem we were having, told them where I tried to install it (3 different drives including the C: ) and I got a response saying that you can only install it on the C: and you may want to try re-downloading it. Fine. I erased the original download and tried downloading it again. The file is 497mb and takes a good 25 minutes to download on my high speed, hard wired connection. Tried installing again, only on the C: drive this time, exact same problem. Emailed them again and was told...

"Unfortunately we cannot control the web traffic. All I can tell you is to keep on trying starting out with the email that was sent out. It has taken others many many times before it worked. There are thousands of people trying to download this. It will eventually work."

That is the entire response I got after telling them it would not install the second time. :glare: I don't like that the program does not tell me what the installation problem is (it doesn't tell me why the install is failing, it just tells me that I need to choose a new location....if I don't know what was wrong with the original location, how can I correctly choose a new location?) I even tried going to the website of the maker of the install software to no avail.

My computer more than exceeds the program requirements, I am using Firefox (and always have....might try downloading it on IE later but I somehow doubt that's the problem...) ...I suppose it could be a corrupted file I'm getting but twice in a row, with the same problem?....so far I'm not impressed :glare:

Might try one more time to download this late tonight when hopefully the server might not be so overloaded...always wanted to try Funnix, but right now I'm quite glad I haven't spent any money on it. :glare:

The issue is with either your local machine or the file is corrupted during download. Try deleting all your temp files (search %temp% from the start menu) and download it again.

Yes, it's a pain, but there's really nothing they can do from their end.

If you google, "please select another location to extract the file to" you'll find more troubleshooting information.

Hope that helps. :)

The issue is with either your local machine or the file is corrupted during download. Try deleting all your temp files (search %temp% from the start menu) and download it again.

The first time I downloaded it I had this issue and didn't realize until it downloaded successfully that the first copy was MUCH smaller in size (i.e. missing something). The second time the file was larger and worked fine.

I am going with the downthemall app on firefox so far so good it says 3 are complete so I guess we shall see. I had a heck of a time figuring out how to add the links that were not clickable though. They now have a notice on their site about people trying to download and having problems basically says they are overloaded lol. They never did answer my email though about the choose folder issue :( If I payed for this I would be hot

I could be wrong, but choosing a location in DownThemAll is selecting a folder where you want the program downloaded. If this is not what you're referring to, pm me and I'll try and help you.

I realize they can't "come fix it for me" but as a person who has worked in tech support for computers before, I do expect them to troubleshoot the problem or let me know what they think the problem might be (esp. if it's something like a overloaded server) and what they plan to do to remedy the situation. I expect programs to give me access to error logs (I have yet to find an error log so I can see exactly what the problem is, if it's a corrupted file I should be able to explore the file and see that it's corrupted. This program will not let me explore the files (though I could force my way in, I really don't feel like hacking it) and does not put error logs in an accessible place if it is creating them at all. Windows is only picking up a failed install but no reason given from the program whi)

Also, I've seen many people say the download that worked for them is a "much bigger file" well, that doesn't tell me much....my file has been 497mb each time ..while I don't consider that to be a particularly large file, I also work with computer files on a regular basis...maybe you do consider that to be large. Even the company wouldn't verify the correct file size when I asked. :glare:

I'm currently giving it one last try on dh's computer. The file size is still exactly the same 497mb and taking forever so I'm not holding out much hope for an uncorrupted file which right now is my best guess for the failed install after having to troubleshoot myself.

Update: Mkay, so it allows me to install on dh's computer but not mine. Only big difference between mine and his is that I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and he's running Windows Vista Home Basic SP2. So, what that tells me is either my version of Windows 7 is missing a necessary system file to install the installer (perhaps outdated or unnecessary in most newer applications). But without tech support or an error log to tell me what file I need, I'm back to searching on my own....sigh.