Menu

Funnix will be available for free as of Jan. 3. FREE READING PROGRAM

Stacy in NJ

Has anyone used this? Sounds cool!

I think there may be a couple of people on the Special Needs board who have used it with dyslexics or other LDs. I don't really know much about it, but I figure, if it's free, there's no reason not to give it a good look-over!

Oh, okay, so this is basically "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 EZ Lessons." Interesting.

It is really very different. I used Funnix to teach both of my children to read and it is a wonderful program. It is computerized and has a lot of fun animation and cute stories. You sit with the child and operate the mouse while they go through the lesson. There is also a workbook that goes along with the lessons. Both my kids thought it was fun and I think it's great for ld kids, but it also worked wonderfully for my daughter who does not have lds.

Lisa

It is the follow-up to 100EZ isn't it? It is what they suggest at the end of the book to build on it...

There are two levels of Funnix. The first level starts at the very beginning of teaching reading and the second level works on fluency and is probably what you would pick up with at the end of 100EZ lessons.

Lisa

I am on level 2 of Funnix with my dd right now after completing the first one. It is a little different than other programs with some of the pronunciations being a bit unique, sounds introduced in a different order, etc., but it works!!! I had tried other programs and they just didn't click with her. She is 9, a little delayed academically, but she loves it. One reason it works well for us is because the "teacher" on the program isn't me telling her what to do. It removes that battle for us.;) Very structured, well organized and sequential. I personally did not like 100 Easy Lessons but this program was not a problem for me at all. I highly recommend it.

I am on level 2 of Funnix with my dd right now after completing the first one. It is a little different than other programs with some of the pronunciations being a bit unique, sounds introduced in a different order, etc., but it works!!! I had tried other programs and they just didn't click with her. She is 9, a little delayed academically, but she loves it. One reason it works well for us is because the "teacher" on the program isn't me telling her what to do. It removes that battle for us.;) Very structured, well organized and sequential. I personally did not like 100 Easy Lessons but this program was not a problem for me at all. I highly recommend it.

Thank you for saying this. I have an 8-1/2 yo who doesn't read well yet and Funnix has been on my list of possibilities. 100 Easy Lessons was actually the very first phonics program I tried with her, and it was a bust. I'm hoping Funnix will be better.

We have that battle too! ;)

I startedd Funnix level 2 with my dyslexic dd when she was almost 8yo. It was a good fit for her. She really liked the stories.

I reviewed it a long time ago, so I'll link to the review.

http://www.thehomeschoollibrary.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1024

Thanks for posting this. Indy is 8 and also dyslexic. He's been working so hard to read (we had therapy which helped so much), and I'm always on the lookout for something to help him.

• 3 weeks later...
Bumping as a reminder and also curious bc I can not figure out how to get the program :001_huh: Where is the download button?

I was thinking there may be a time delay, or that I'm on the wrong continent, so I'm relieved to know its not just me. If anyone has figured it out, please let us know!

Goodness gracious, this is a huge program! It is taking forever to download just the first half of Beginning Reading even with my super-fast DSL!:001_huh:

Me too! First I tried with Google Chrome, and it was saying ten days until downloaded,:tongue_smilie:

Now I'm on IE and it's telling me 2 hrs. :confused:

Me too! First I tried with Google Chrome, and it was saying ten days until downloaded,:tongue_smilie:

Now I'm on IE and it's telling me 2 hrs. :confused:

I'm on Chrome with a High Speed cable modem and I have the 3 pdfs already downloaded and the 3 installers are downloading now. It's taken about 20 minutes.

Okay, they sent me an email with the confirmation and downloading instructions. I haven't downloaded it yet because I think it may take too much space on my computer.

Has anyone downloaded it yet?

I've never worried about how much space a program would take on my computer. Is it really that huge? Do you think it can be downloaded onto CDs or something, instead?

I downloaded the files, but haven't been able to install them successfully. Anyone else having problems?

Yes. A box popped up prompting me to choose another location for the file, but when I did, nothing happened. :confused:

I downloaded the files, but haven't been able to install them successfully. Anyone else having problems?

Same here. I'm on a mac and when I double click to unzip, it unarchives it but then nothing happens...there's no new file to open up that I can find.

I have a mac and only download lessons 1-40. They took a little while but I had no problem installing them. We did our first lesson this morning. I don't think I will have space for all of the parts on my computer though. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that.

Could one of you mac users try to see if- after it has been unzipped and installed, if it can be downloaded and ran from a thumb drive, SD card or disk? I will be using a different computer in several months and don't want it tied to the computer I'm using right now.

Is the agreement with Funnix that the program is tied to one computer?

I'm giving up for now. I finally got it to unzip properly with the third unzipping utility I tried, Stuffit. That created a folder with an install icon in it. When I double-click to install, it acts like it's going to open for a second and then nothing happens. :glare:

Glad to see some of you are getting it to work! :)

I just finished the downloads on our Windows XP. No problems at all. It does take awhile....probably close to an hour. When you get the e-mail with the download instructions, make sure you read everything and do exactly what it says to do. I had no problems. All 3 (2 for level 1 and then level 2) are on my desktop now. I clicked each one to make sure there was something there. All looks fine. It looks cute. We'll do a first lesson some time today. :001_smile:

I registered as it asked me to, but the email I got back from them was blank, so I never got a download link. I filled out their contact us form, so hopefully they will re-send it. I was hoping I could download it while we were working on other things this afternoon. :(