Menu

My paperbackswap days are over

My carrier left me a letter telling me that I would need to start filling out a form to request pickup for my packages. The only problem is, at least one of the packages must be priority rate (she knows I never ship priority). I only ship media rate and first class.

The automated machines at the post office don't allow for media rate shipping either. I do not have time to drive to the post office a couple of times a week and wait in line.

It seems the postal service really doesn't want anyone shipping media rate, and they only care about your shipping needs if you pay more.

I have five packages to mail today, and then I am done.

Whenever I am home (which is almost always), I look for the carrier and carry the packages to her truck. I didn't realize this has been a problem. She says she gets in trouble because her route takes longer.

UPDATE:

Okay -- so I left a note apologizing for the inconvenience, explaining that the pickup form won't work for me b/c at least one package needs to be priority, etc.

My carrier rang the doorbell today to tell me to just keep having her pick them up. We talked, and it boils down to the frequency of my packages, and Mondays being very heavy for her.

So, I agreed to only ship one day a week, on Fridays. And, I'll drop my light ones off in the blue box.

Edited by nestof3

My carrier left me a letter telling me that I would need to start filling out a form to request pickup for my packages. The only problem is, at least one of the packages must be priority rate (she knows I never ship priority). I only ship media rate and first class.

The automated machines at the post office don't allow for media rate shipping either. I do not have time to drive to the post office a couple of times a week and wait in line.

It seems the postal service really doesn't want anyone shipping media rate, and they only care about your shipping needs if you pay more.

I have five packages to mail today, and then I am done.

Whenever I am home (which is almost always), I look for the carrier and carry the packages to her truck. I didn't realize this has been a problem. She says she gets in trouble because her route takes longer.

Wow, I didn't even know postal carriers would pick up packages from your door? I've always gone down and waited in the miserably long lines. And yes, that is why I never sell online or do those swap things. How does it work? Do you pay your postage online or something? How do you know how much the item weighs?

Wait, I am confused:confused:

Are you using the online postage that PBS offers? If you are, why cant you drop them in any old box? We dont have mail pick up at our house. We just use the PBS postage and DH or I will drop them in a blue postal box or at a post office when we are near one. Our post office is rural, so there really are not lines, but it has very few hours that it is open, so we would be hard pressed to make it anyway.

Wait, I am confused:confused:

Are you using the online postage that PBS offers? If you are, why cant you drop them in any old box? We dont have mail pick up at our house. We just use the PBS postage and DH or I will drop them in a blue postal box or at a post office when we are near one. Our post office is rural, so there really are not lines, but it has very few hours that it is open, so we would be hard pressed to make it anyway.

Those blue boxes have weight limits.

Unless you're sending really big packages, you should be able to drop them in USPS's blue collection boxes. From the USPS website:

Drop Off

Packages may be handed to your carrier or taken to the Post Office. Packages may also be dropped into a blue collection box with the following restrictions:

spacer.gifbullet.gif Stamped packages must weight 13 ounces or less

spacer.gifbullet.gif Packages with postage printed using Click-N-Ship or another PC Postage provider may weigh more than one pound, but must fit in the collection box

I haven't done it in a while, but I print the label on Paperbackswap, including DC. I love the convenience of doing it that way, because I get my credit immediately. :)

It costs 43 cents per package, but you only have to pay 19 cents additional for DC.

Here's Paperbackswap's FAQ on the topic: Printable Postage

Edited by jplain

Those blue boxes have weight limits.

What weight limit are you referring to, if it's the over 13 oz rule that only applies if you put actual stamps on the package, not if you printed the postage at home via PBS or say paypal's multi order shipping.

I print PBS labels all the time and drop it in the blue boxes. If it fits through the hole (or the door on the other side) in it goes. I've never had a problem. I've also printed postage on many a thing from PBS or through Paypal multi ship and then just dropped it in the big slot in the wall next to the Automated Shipping machine they have, or I'll just run them in and put them on the counter by the window clerks. I never have to wait in line.

I also usually just print the PBS labels and then put them in my box or on a stack on top of or under my mail box with the red flag up.

Edited by nukeswife

What weight limit are you referring to, if it's the over 13 oz rule that only applies if you put actual stamps on the package, not if you printed the postage at home via PBS or say paypal's multi order shipping. I print PBS labels all the time and drop it in the blue boxes...

More than once, I've put prepaid priority mail envelopes in the blue boxes with my business catalog in them (no stamps, they're preprinted as prepaid), and they've been sent back to me for being (barely) overweight. So it can and does happen.

You CAN use the APC machines for media mail - they just don't automatically give you that option. Basically you weigh your package, then back out of the mailing options, and have the machine print the amount of postage you need, stick it on (make sure it's marked media mail), and drop it in the box.

1 lb $.2.36 ; 2lb-$ 2.77 , 3lb-$3.16

so let's say your package weighs 2 pounds which the media rate is $2.77

so all then do is have the APC print a $2.77 stamp, stick it on and mail it.

Sounds to me like your postal carrier is putting the entire blame on you for her route taking longer. Just your packages alone shouldn't be making her get in trouble.

Yeah, that. Unless you are making her wait while you make multiple trips from the house....

Sounds like the lady at my-not-immediately-local PO that was telling me that I had to drop packages at the PO that is my originating zip code because "This post office won't get credit for processing them." :confused: Whatever. If that was the case, they'd tell me that on the computer, I'm sure.

I don't print postage off PBS because it's my understanding that it costs more and I think media mail costs are through the roof already. However I do use the Automated machine in the lobby. I LOVE going after hours and skipping the lines.

I use my kitchen scale to determine the weight of my package. Then I look up the postage on PBS help center. (I don't trust the printout) Then I write that amount on my package and head to the APC machine.

You have to click on Buy Stamps. Then you have to click on Buy a Different Value of Stamp. Then you can manually type in the amount you need. Voila!

If you don't have a scale at home you can use the scale at the post office. Just start off like you're mailing a first class package, weigh the package, and then back up to the beginning. Just make sure you know the postage you need for under 1 lb., under 2 lbs. etc. for media mail because that info isn't given anywhere in the USPS lobby.

HTH, I love PBS. The more the merrier. Don't quit. :001_smile:

ETA: Also, time your acceptances so that you can make one trip to the PO every week.

Ah, ha! Different value stamp....You've saved me some line time. Thank you.

I don't print postage off PBS because it's my understanding that it costs more and I think media mail costs are through the roof already. However I do use the Automated machine in the lobby. I LOVE going after hours and skipping the lines.

I use my kitchen scale to determine the weight of my package. Then I look up the postage on PBS help center. (I don't trust the printout) Then I write that amount on my package and head to the APC machine.

You have to click on Buy Stamps. Then you have to click on Buy a Different Value of Stamp. Then you can manually type in the amount you need. Voila!

If you don't have a scale at home you can use the scale at the post office. Just start off like you're mailing a first class package, weigh the package, and then back up to the beginning. Just make sure you know the postage you need for under 1 lb., under 2 lbs. etc. for media mail because that info isn't given anywhere in the USPS lobby.

HTH, I love PBS. The more the merrier. Don't quit. :001_smile:

ETA: Also, time your acceptances so that you can make one trip to the PO every week.

I don't print postage off PBS because it's my understanding that it costs more and I think media mail costs are through the roof already.

This is incorrect. Though PBS adds fees, they are more than offset by the lower cost of paying for Delivery Confirmation online.

There are two ways to use PBS with Delivery Confirmation. You can buy DC alone, and then add stamps for postage. This is referred to as PBS DC. Or you can buy PBS Printed Postage, and end up with a completely pre-paid package, including DC.

Either way, the fees + DC add up to less than you'd pay for DC at the automated machines in the post office, or at the post office counter: 75-80 cents. In addition, you get credited for your swap as soon as it is scanned in by USPS, and you will not lose the credit if the package gets lost in the mail. In this way, it serves as an insurance policy for you.

• With PBS DC, you pay 27 cents (to PBS, from your PBS Money) + 19 cents (in postage on the package) = 46 cents over postage cost.

• With PBS Printed Postage, you pay 43 cents (includes Instant credit fee paid to PBS plus the fee paid to Endicia, the online postage provider) from your PBS Money + 19 cents (to USPS, from your PBS Money) + postage (from your PBS Money) = 62 cents over postage cost

• With PBS DC (meaning you used stamps as postage) you must mail packages over 13 ounces by handing them to a postal employee. This is a USPS National Security regulation.

• With PBS Printed Postage, you can mail packages over 13 ounces from dropboxes and your outgoing mailbox--the printed postage is trackable, so the USPS regulation does not apply.

bolding and italics added by me Edited by jplain

Oh, sorry...I wasn't figuring in DC. I've mailed 731 books and only had one not make it to its destination. DC doesn't seem cost effective to me personally. I joined PBS when media mail for under a pound was like $1.42 or something insanely cheap. I hate how much it costs now. :glare:

But don't quit!! It's so awesome. Rah Rah!!:hurray:

What weight limit are you referring to, if it's the over 13 oz rule that only applies if you put actual stamps on the package, not if you printed the postage at home via PBS or say paypal's multi order shipping.

I print PBS labels all the time and drop it in the blue boxes. If it fits through the hole (or the door on the other side) in it goes. I've never had a problem. I've also printed postage on many a thing from PBS or through Paypal multi ship and then just dropped it in the big slot in the wall next to the Automated Shipping machine they have, or I'll just run them in and put them on the counter by the window clerks. I never have to wait in line.

I also usually just print the PBS labels and then put them in my box or on a stack on top of or under my mail box with the red flag up.

:iagree: PBS gives you media mail rates & marks it for you. You can also run inside put then in the package drop slot.

Great! Thanks so much for helping me out.

Unless you're sending really big packages, you should be able to drop them in USPS's blue collection boxes. From the USPS website:

I haven't done it in a while, but I print the label on Paperbackswap, including DC. I love the convenience of doing it that way, because I get my credit immediately. :)

It costs 43 cents per package, but you only have to pay 19 cents additional for DC.

Here's Paperbackswap's FAQ on the topic: Printable Postage

Oh, thank you for correcting me. :D I appreciate it.

You CAN use the APC machines for media mail - they just don't automatically give you that option. Basically you weigh your package, then back out of the mailing options, and have the machine print the amount of postage you need, stick it on (make sure it's marked media mail), and drop it in the box.

1 lb $.2.36 ; 2lb-$ 2.77 , 3lb-$3.16

so let's say your package weighs 2 pounds which the media rate is $2.77

so all then do is have the APC print a $2.77 stamp, stick it on and mail it.

Thank you for pointing this out! A blue box is right down the street from me. Perfect

Okay -- so I left a note apologizing for the inconvenience, explaining that the pickup form won't work for me b/c at least one package needs to be priority, etc.

My carrier rang the doorbell today to tell me to just keep having her pick them up. We talked, and it boils down to the frequency of my packages, and Mondays being very heavy for her.

So, I agreed to only ship one day a week, on Fridays. And, I'll drop my light ones off in the blue box.

We don't have mail delivery to homes here. Everyone has a mail box at the post office (or for some really big commands like the hospital and the shipyard the mail boxes are at work). So I have to go to the post office to get all of my mail, not just oversized boxes.

And since every outgoing package has to have a customs form, I have to stand in line anytime I'm sending out more than just an envelope.

On the plus side, we can walk to the post office and they are pretty nice there. For a while they would dodge me when I walked in (might have had something to do with the time I came in with 25 packages to mail out) but they've seldom been grumpy or rude.