Menu

Let's say your car died....

...and you suddenly found yourself in the market for a new (or almost new) one. Immediately. This weekend - today if possible.

Would you prefer the Hyundai Elantra, the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, or Toyota Yaris?

This would be used primarily for an 80 mile round trip commute 5 days/week mostly on the highway. Need A/C, auto transmission, a decent stereo (since DH is on the road over 2 hours a day and will go insane without it).

Occasionally we will trade and I will drive it with DD 3yo around town. So it does need a decent backseat and to fit a car seat.

Any preferences? DH is at the dealers now.

...and you suddenly found yourself in the market for a new (or almost new) one. Immediately. This weekend - today if possible.

Would you prefer the Hyundai Elantra, the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, or Toyota Yaris?

This would be used primarily for an 80 mile round trip commute 5 days/week mostly on the highway. Need A/C, auto transmission, a decent stereo (since DH is on the road over 2 hours a day and will go insane without it).

Occasionally we will trade and I will drive it with DD 3yo around town. So it does need a decent backseat and to fit a car seat.

Any preferences? DH is at the dealers now.

FWIW a family member has had GREAT luck with their used Hyundai Elantra...

I've heard great things about the Fit from my uncle, a car freak (he buys and sells them on ebay and really is my go-to guy for cars). That said, we own a Hyundai Santa Fe and have been very happy with it. I would go with gas mileage as a MAJOR factor. That's the only aspect of the Santa Fe that I am unhappy with.

My husband has an Elantra for work before we married. He commuted a lot because he was a field technician. So he was all over Austin, and went down to San Antonio a lot. It held up well, had a lot of pep... he LOVED that car!! The only thing is he got into a 30mph collision with a non-moving car and it totaled his car :( He was fine though...

We recently bought the Fit ( our first new car ever!).

The hatchback lets us fit a good bit in. It goes over 200 miles before needing a fill up and it takes under 10 gallons :)

We've only put about 3500 miles on it, but I'm happy with it so far. Although I had to scrape ice off and the windshield is HIGH compared to our Accord. (I like Hondas).

We recently bought the Fit ( our first new car ever!).

The hatchback lets us fit a good bit in. It goes over 200 miles before needing a fill up and it takes under 10 gallons :)

We've only put about 3500 miles on it, but I'm happy with it so far. Although I had to scrape ice off and the windshield is HIGH compared to our Accord. (I like Hondas).

Are you sure about that gas mileage, that is only about 20mpg.

Are you sure about that gas mileage, that is only about 20mpg.

I fill up at different times. Sometimes after 200 miles, sometimes closer to 250? I'm still not exactly sure when I have to fill up :001_smile:

I get about 29 mpg if mileage is poor. I don't think I've gotten above 34 mpg. Generally 30-32.

I'm still adjusting to having the first automatic since I was 16. I haven't shifted yet, but I do try to. It is nice in traffic though! I have sat there wondering why the key won't come out of the ignition and then realized it needs to be in Park. :lol:

It's fun for me to drive.

My dh bought a Honda Fit after his 15yo pickup got pelted with baseball-sized hail while he was driving home.

The car is a lot of fun to drive and is so nimble that you can turn it around in the middle of a neighborhood street without having to do a 3-point turn.

The only issues I have with the car are:

(1) The headrest is right where my ponytail sits. If I'm going to be driving for more than 20 minutes, I have to pull out my ponytail and that annoys me.

(2) I prefer for the gear shift to be on the steering wheel instead of between the seats.

(3) It's comfortable for 4 people, not 5. The 5th person has to sit on the hump in the backseat and is also smashed between the other two people back there.

It gets great gas mileage. I can drive to Dallas and back on about 13-14 gallons (about 400 miles for the round trip). In my van it takes about 35 gallons.

There are only two different models for the Honda Fit. The base model (the one my dh got) doesn't have a door clicker thingy or cruise control. The other model has all the bells and whistles (cruise control, GPS, clicker, ...).

While it's not on your list of cars, I bought a Prius a year and a half ago. The biggest attraction is that it was a Toyota. We've had several, and it's become our standard.

I average 56 mpg, highway or city. I'm thrilled with that, and I love, love, love my Toyota. For a small car, it has a very spacious backseat, plenty of headroom, and it's become our family car over our minivan. The only negative, imo, is that I am about as far removed from a stereotypical Prius driver than one can be.

FUN to be getting a new car!! And we're waiting to hear what you chose!

I have a Hyundai Sonata and really like it though I will probably be giving it to my middle child for college. We can reasonably drive around in it with five adults and it is fine. Like another poster said, this was the one car (and we did try both Honda and Toyota) that accommodated both my husband at basically 6 ft. and myself with my arthritis problems.

What did you get?

We don't have a Yaris, but we love our Toyota. I would love a Prius!

FWIW: Our old Saturns get about the same mileage as the Fit and Yaris, which surprises me.

Dawn

DH, who likes to shop for cars about as much as getting teeth pulled without anesthesia, got mad and came home, muttering about car dealers. We've rented a car for the week and he'll try again next weekend. Car dealers are closed by law on Sundays in Texas.

He liked the Elantra and Sonata, hated the Accent (knew he would). By the time he got to the Honda dealer it was closing and they wanted him to come back Monday. We didn't know dealers were closed on Sundays here - in Virginia they're open so we just assumed....

Haven't read the other replies because I had to rush to say, "WE LOVE OUR FIT!!!" Our second car died last May and we lived with only one for a month while we researched it. We narrowed it down to the Fit, Yaris and Kia Rio. The Fit had the best ratings overall from the reviews we read. It had top crash test ratings. We also got a great deal on a new one. We usually buy used and it was the first new car we've bought in the 22 years of our marriage. I get to drive it every day and it is so fun to drive! To me it doesn't have a small car feel in the interior. We got the base model with the hatchback. The back seats fold down OR up! You can fold them up so you can place tall things behind the driver's seat. I have been able to haul lots of stuff. I do tend to lose it in parking lots because it gets hidden behind vans and trucks :001_smile: We got 40 mpg on a highway trip we took this summer. If it is combined highway/local it gets in mid 30's and just local around 30. The only thing I don't like is that with the base model you don't get the key remote and only the driver's lock button can open the other doors. It gets inconvenient at times.

So I obviously recommend the Fit :001_smile: Drives like a small car but doesn't feel like a small car inside, gets great gas mileage and has a fantastic safety rating!

Mary

Edited by Mary in VA

Thank you everyone for your replies. I had to jump off quickly when I responded earlier and didn't get a chance to say thank you. (Oh the joys of a preschooler!)

Hopefully we'll have time to test drive and evaluate this week and buy something this weekend.

Michelle in AL - thank you so much for that info about the car sitting low. I have a fused spine and WILL have trouble getting kids out of car seats if it's too low.

Thanks again,

Hope

for your dh, who doesn't like car shopping...

my dh now has an "MO" that works well for that.

find car you want. test drive it. do not buy it.

go home. send email thru costco ... they will send your requirements to the dealers near you. they will get back to you within 24 hours with a price, which is often below list. sometimes, you get to pick the color - we did when we bought the toyota corolla a few years back. it is a no-haggle price BUT the last time we called our nearest dealership and gave them the quote from the one 40 minutes away, and they matched it : ).

time at dealership: 40 minutes for test drive, 40 minutes for car payment and pickup.

happy dh.

hth,

ann

for your dh, who doesn't like car shopping...

my dh now has an "MO" that works well for that.

find car you want. test drive it. do not buy it.

go home. send email thru costco ... they will send your requirements to the dealers near you. they will get back to you within 24 hours with a price, which is often below list. sometimes, you get to pick the color - we did when we bought the toyota corolla a few years back. it is a no-haggle price BUT the last time we called our nearest dealership and gave them the quote from the one 40 minutes away, and they matched it : ).

time at dealership: 40 minutes for test drive, 40 minutes for car payment and pickup.

happy dh.

hth,

ann

Cool! Thanks!