Menu

Question

Is this strange or normal??

My 6 yr old got up last night walked out into the livingroom and was shaking all over his eyes looked glazed over. I believe he was sleeping because his nystagmas (his eyes constantly move back & fourth unless sleeping) wasn't present. My husband went and picked him up he continued to shake then started to clasp his hand behind my dh's neck while my dh held him and at the sametime started to smile then it turned into a permagrin. He never snapped out of it my dh took him back to bed.

This was freaky though and it only lasted less then 2-3 min

What ya think:confused::confused:

My 6yo dd does this as well. As my husband is epileptic, I was really worried the first time it happened. I spoke to dh's neurologist and as a previous poster indicated, it is a night terror with some sleep walking and completely normal.

Do not try to wake the child. Just gently guide him back to bed.

For dd, we had to reduce late night sweet drinks and being overstimulated by electronic media.

No he didn't remember nothing. He just stood in the hall shaking with this weird though cuz as he shook he had a weird smile almost giddy with no sound and when my husband picked him up he was kinda rigid.

In the past there have been 2 other times for no reason he's layed on the floor in a real giddy like state with these times with noise (laughing) with the same weird smile glazed over but eyes weren't moving so it scared me. It only lasts for 2-3 mins though.

My dh said he would be more worried if it happened more often.

I would take him for an exam (possibly an EEG). My youngest had his first seizures--a complex partial--that way. Actually he shook very little but he froze and his facial expression was strange. Dh recognized it.

Early sleep and late sleep (right before you wake up) are times when the brain is more open to seizures.

It could be night terrors but I wouldn't put off a doctor's visit...just in case.

A few other symptoms to look for...as it finishes does he make some swallowing sounds/gestures? Are his pupils really dialated during those times?

Night terror. Perfectly common and normal in kiddos. Just guide him back to his bed, don't try to wake him up, just reassure him that everything's ok.

:iagree:

We call them 'dream-mares' though, instead of night terrors....as noted above, don't wake him - just assure him all is okay and take him back to bed, he should settle back within a few minutes.

I would take him for an exam (possibly an EEG). My youngest had his first seizures--a complex partial--that way. Actually he shook very little but he froze and his facial expression was strange. Dh recognized it.

Early sleep and late sleep (right before you wake up) are times when the brain is more open to seizures.

It could be night terrors but I wouldn't put off a doctor's visit...just in case.

A few other symptoms to look for...as it finishes does he make some swallowing sounds/gestures? Are his pupils really dialated during those times?

Can someone tell me what a night terror is? i read the other poster say the seizures are common in sleep states early and late. How can you tell the difference?

My brother used to have night terrors. Sounds very similar to what you describe. I remember one time he was shaking all over and beating on his second story window as hard as he could. Scared me and my parents so much!!! He eventually outgrew them. Hope this is all that it is. I would still see a doctor, just to ease my mind.

Can someone tell me what a night terror is? i read the other poster say the seizures are common in sleep states early and late. How can you tell the difference?

Night terrors occur during the dream phase of sleep. The child does not come fully awake and experiences something similar to a hallucination; it's more real than a nightmare. Kids often shake and scream or cry.

My son used to have them. He would crawl away from me with frightened eyes when I tried to comfort him. It was very disconcerting as he normally always wanted me when he was scared. I learned to just talk calmly to him, and eventually he would settle back to sleep. Like the pp's brother, he outgrew them.