Menu

what do you get a 10 year girl to play with for Christmas?

My dd loves all stuffed animals. She names them, dresses them, poses them.

She also likes Liv dolls. I don't mind them because they aren't so trampy. And her American Girl. I think it might be about dressing them up and certainly doing their hair.

She and her brother are getting the Playmobil Pyramid for Christmas. I think she will LOVE it. If it weren't for that combo gift there are some terrific Playmobil sets she'd still just love. Have you seen "school"? Even though she no longer goes to public school, she and her brother play school all the time. She has a desk set up and she makes worksheets for him, and grades his papers, gives him recess. They even say the pledge. :lol: She'd LOVE some of that Playmobil school stuff!

Oh, and she likes Lego too. Especially anything with people.

My 10 yo still really likes her Barbies. She's getting a Fashionista Ken (she likes the Fashionistas because they are much more articulated and easier to pose). Other toys:

a littlest pet shop small set

Monster High Clawdeen doll

couple small Polly Pockets

She also has on her wishlist a ton of things for American Girl dolls---nail care set, hair care set, overnight set, feel better kit, etc are some of the smaller ones. They have a few nice accessory kits that work with AG dolls at Target (AG dolls just can't wear those shoes, IIRC). Others: Alex fashion doll from Wizards of Waverly Place, Taylor Swift doll, Barbie accessory sets, Ken clothes.

Stuffed animals are big here as well---does she have a sock monkey? It's a current favorite and they are out in all sorts of fabrics right now.

I am so happy to see so many other 9-10 girls who love playmobil! That is my daughter's number one gift request.

For other toy items in this age group a few ideas that I have on dd list are physical toys, skateboards, a gibbon slackline, rollerblades, a bocce ball set, etc; kit type toys, basic physics sets, make your own perfume/soap sets, and a balancing building set, erector sets; games, Catan expansion packs are big news here; my daughter still likes her AG dolls; dress up, she doesn't do traditional dress up the same way she did when she was younger but a few really nice actually "fancy dress" style costumes and masks are much used along with anything Harry Potter related and she loves stage make-up; craft type activities of all kinds.

This is a hard age for me to come up with toys also, it seems like dd still wants to play but there is a dearth of ideas for this age and things seem to either be little kid or teen with little in between.

My 9 yro does NOT "play" with anything, anymore. Any toys we've bought her in the last year just completely gather dust in her room. I think they just outgrow these things at a point...

Here's what mine's gettin' for Christmas (maybe this will give you ideas):

Blokus (she loves board games)

Lego Minotaur (another board game)

a Pillow Pet (because the other girls are getting one)

a miniature greenhouse with plants (she actually asked for this :confused:)

one of the Harry Potter Lego scenes (her brother will probably appropriate this for himself)

Techdeck (my two oldest are huge into skateboarding right now)

Well, my 5 year old son got Lincoln Logs and Knex as some of his Hanukkah gifts and I will say that my 10 year old daughter is playing with them just as eagerly as he is!

She also likes Littlest Pet shop stuff and wanted a fushigi ball (sp?) and loves playdough. And loves craft kits and sciency kits. She got a make your own bubblegum kit, and a dippin dots maker, and a rock driller, and was REALLY excited by those particular things.

I'm also having a tough time shopping for my dd, who is 9. I do have a big stack of books for her, a game and some small things.

Not in the "toy" category per se, but last year I got my dd, then 9, a tackle box and filled it full of sewing supplies. I got those felt squares and embroidery thread, needles, scissors, buttons, etc. She LOVED it and still pulls it out often. She is learning to stitch on her own and sometimes we make something more complicated, like recently a pretty jacket for her American Girl Doll.

This year I am getting her a Knifty Knitter that I read about here. I think she'll love this because she loves to finger knit but that doesn't produce anything really.

I will admit this too... She is funny in that she loves a big piece of fabric. When she was about 4, my mom bought her a remnant of this gross green floral swimsuit fabric. She STILL plays with it. It's a dress, cape, sling in the field hospital, toga, blanket, fort roof, baby swaddler, princess train, etc. That kind of fabric is stretchy but thin (so it can be tied) and extremely durable. She's recently gotten into Greek Mythology so she wanted another big piece of fabric but in white so she can make all kinds of robes and wrap dress designs. :blushing: Just a thought!

Not in the "toy" category per se, but last year I got my dd, then 9, a tackle box and filled it full of sewing supplies. I got those felt squares and embroidery thread, needles, scissors, buttons, etc. She LOVED it and still pulls it out often. ...

I think she'll love this because she loves to finger knit but that doesn't produce anything really.

I will admit this too... She is funny in that she loves a big piece of fabric. ...

Our daughters would get along famously! My dd loves finger knitting and big squares of fabric for dress up. She would also LOVE a sewing kit!

I've offered to buy her little craft kits and she always says that she'd rather have fabric squares to make her own quilt for her doll. I've never fulfilled the wish because I don't think you can buy small squares of fabric. Too bad I don't live by my mom and her fabric stash. ;) Anyhow, this is the perfect Christmas idea for her. Thanks for the idea!

I will admit this too... She is funny in that she loves a big piece of fabric. When she was about 4, my mom bought her a remnant of this gross green floral swimsuit fabric. She STILL plays with it. It's a dress, cape, sling in the field hospital, toga, blanket, fort roof, baby swaddler, princess train, etc. That kind of fabric is stretchy but thin (so it can be tied) and extremely durable. She's recently gotten into Greek Mythology so she wanted another big piece of fabric but in white so she can make all kinds of robes and wrap dress designs. :blushing: Just a thought!

You're daughter's not the only one - her grandmother also has given her yardage of silky or shiny material - she loves playing with her fabrics!

I've never fulfilled the wish because I don't think you can buy small squares of fabric. Too bad I don't live by my mom and her fabric stash. ;) Anyhow, this is the perfect Christmas idea for her. Thanks for the idea!

I think you can get small squares at quilting shops - However, you need to have grandma send her a quilting kit!! She can send squares and a backing from her fabric stash and add batting and embroidery thread to tie it.

Our daughters would get along famously! My dd loves finger knitting and big squares of fabric for dress up. She would also LOVE a sewing kit!

I've offered to buy her little craft kits and she always says that she'd rather have fabric squares to make her own quilt for her doll. I've never fulfilled the wish because I don't think you can buy small squares of fabric. Too bad I don't live by my mom and her fabric stash. ;) Anyhow, this is the perfect Christmas idea for her. Thanks for the idea!

Most fabric stores (and some craft stores) sell "fat quarters" http://quilting.about.com/od/stepbystepquilting/ss/fat_quarters.htm Those stores also usually sell sewing boxes, filled or unfilled.

My husband is actually using some of these to make a doll quilt for my daughter. He wants to try a small project to see if he enjoys quilting.

Ten seems to be the age when they're really making the transition from toys to real stuff.

My dd wants to build a dollhouse. I am getting her a book and a sheet of plywood. ("Yay! Plywood!" :w00t:)

It won't be her only gift of course. Fortunately, she loves legos and Schleich figurines and those are still technically toys. There will also be books of course, a board game and a science kit of some kind.

I know you can buy fabric squares intended for quilting...but I don't have any idea how much something like that costs.

Oops...I posted this before i realized that others said the same thing....

Edited by NEprairemom

I think you can get small squares at quilting shops - However, you need to have grandma send her a quilting kit!! She can send squares and a backing from her fabric stash and add batting and embroidery thread to tie it.

:lol: My mom means well, but dd might be sewing her wedding quilt before the package made it to the post office.

Fat quarters are a good idea. I could just cut a few squares myself. Someday I could let her use my rotary cutter to cut some more.