Menu

s/o Doctor Who - Favorite episode

It must be Doctor Who day! Yay!

What are your 5 favorite episodes?

1. Blink - seriously creepy and so, so well written. Seeing Billy in that hospital bed is heartbreaking.

2. New Earth - Rose and the Doctor channeling Cassandra. Hysterical!

3. Empty Child/The Doctor Dances - great story.

4. Turn Left - The Doctor on a gurney covered with a white sheet. AAACK!!!

5. Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead - creepy! (But I don't like River :glare: ...)

PS Join our Doctor Who social group :)

Edited by BikeBookBread

Blink

Bad Wolf/The Parting of Ways (I LOVE Super-Rose!)

The Girl in the Fireplace

Human Nature/The Family of Blood

Fires of Pompeii

The Stolen Earth/Journey's End (It was great how they tied up 4 years worth of storylines)

In general, I like the episodes where they go back in time best because I am a history geek. I also agree that Empty Child & Silence in the Library were great stories, but so creepy I don't know that I would watch them again.

A top 5 of the Welsh revival. In no particular order:

The Girl in the Fireplace

The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances

Human Nature / Family of Blood

The Waters of Mars

Midnight

I really adore the comedic episodes and they have a bit more staying power in terms of getting rewatched. Partners in Crime, The Shakespeare Code, Smith and Jones and The Unicorn and the Wasp are all ones that I rewatch often. Blink, is, for me, amazing... but somehow it doesn't make my top 5 stories.

Wow, I'm looking at that and thinking poor Matt Smith. But I actually really liked The Eleventh Hour...

-Bad Wolf/Parting of Ways <- When the Doctor tells the Daleks "No. I said 'no'. It means 'no'," and then tells Rose he's coming to get her . . . wow. My favorite DW moment ever.

-Human Nature/Family of Blood <- can't sum up why I like this one - it'd take a whole essay.

-Blink <- Best stand-alone episode ever.

-The Waters of Mars <- sci-fi is only good when the world has rules that must be followed, and what they did when the Doctor broke his own rules, when he gave into hubris, and how that led to disaster, and then he realizes it . . . I just thought it was brilliant

-The Stolen Earth/Journey's End - the Doctor and Wilf, both in the cafe, and in the end, in the radiation booth . . . wow.

I would say Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead but I hate, hate, hate how it ends. It is not all right, and you can't make it right by making River and the others have a pseudo-computer life! Urgh. Am I the only one who loves every bit of this two-parter but the end?

1. Blink - amazing episode. Bought my son a Don't Blink tee for Christmas that year. Also enjoyed the two episodes with Matt Smith and the angels

2. The Next Doctor - mainly because it reunites David Tennant with his Blackpool costar, David Morrissey

3. Tooth and Claw - this was the first "new" episode I caught on the Sci-Fi Channel. I was hooked. LOVED Queen Victoria.

4. The Christmas Invasion

5. The Girl in the Fireplace

6. Human Nature & Family of Blood

7. The End of Time.... LOVED David Tennant and thought this was a great send off.

8. Vincent and the Doctor... awesome!

I'm really looking forward to A Christmas Carol. Should be fun. :-)

sorry... went over the limit...

Edited by valkett
left a bit out.

-

I would say Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead but I hate, hate, hate how it ends. It is not all right, and you can't make it right by making River and the others have a pseudo-computer life! Urgh. Am I the only one who loves every bit of this two-parter but the end?

No, I've heard that criticism many times. It was one of the things that made me feel a little afraid when Moffatt became showrunner. I love his writing on everything he's done. BUT... he has this way of magically fixing things up at the end in a very too-good way. The ending isn't so different from The Doctor Dances. "EVERYBODY LIVES!" Um, no. Not true. While it's not my favorite episode, the conversation between the Doctor and Sarah Jane in School Reunion about death and power over it or the plotline in The Waters of Mars about the Doctor's limits in playing God strike me as much more true to the character of the Doctor and more true to the spirit of the show.

I've only seen seasons 1 & 2 (and may I just say how much I am enjoying all the Doctor Who talk right now??? You all are SO feeding my addiction. :)) but my current favorite episodes are:

The Parting Of The Ways

Christmas Invasion

The Satan Pit

New Earth

I am expecting Season 3 from netflix tomorrow and I'm totally excited :)

Yikes, it's hard to narrow down!

Number one would be Blink, hands down. Girl in the fireplace is a great one, and I really loved Vincent and the Doctor. Silence in the library/forest of the dead...I also really liked Midnight and human nature/family of blood.

Human Nature/The Family of Blood. Hands down, those are my favorite episodes. I cry no matter how many times I see them. I get scared in the same spots each time too.

The one that creeped me out the most was Midnight. That lady was amazing. That scared me more than The Library (which I loved!) or Blink. For some reason Blink didn't scare me, but I did like it.

From the 1st season I like The Empty Child. The kids still go around saying, Mummeee....., are you my mummy?

Honorable mention: That Mr. Bean Christmas episode with the dalek in the Nativity Scene.

Oh, that is flat out hilarious! I love that Mr. Bean episode. It has me and dh laughing until we cry each time the Daleks show up.

I have watched every doctor who episode there ever was. DH and I used to stay up until midnight each Saturday night watching them on PBS and then be sooo bleary eyed in church the next morning. They were sooooo cheesy, but we just couldn't stop watching. However, I haven't seen those old ones in ages, so I barely remember them. We used to say that when we had kids we'd name them after the companions. Teegan and Nyssa were in the running at one time. Fortunately sanity won out, and our kids have normal names.

Out of the new series, I love most of them, but I especially loved:

Blink--just sooo much fun to try to guess where the story is going.

The one where the doctor and Rose are almost not in it at all. I can't remember the name of it, but it's all about the little group of people who try to find the doctor, and then that alien joins their group and absorbs them into his body. I just loved seeing the Doctor from the outside, from normal people's point of view. Lots of humor in that one.

The Vincent one--sometimes I pull it out and watch the ending just so I can have a good cry. From the part where they realize the alien is blind, on to the end. Sob.

The Lodger--where the 11th doctor tries to blend in and act like a normal person, and just can't be normal.

Edited by Garga

Like most everyone else: :blink:

Honorable mention: That Mr. Bean Christmas episode with the dalek in the Nativity Scene.

Is that on YouTube??? Sounds hilarious!

Have you seen The Curse of the Fatal Death with Rowan Atkinson and among others, Hugh Grant? It is SO SO SO funny! Oh, and Johnathan Pryce is The Master. The spoof was actually written by Steven Moffat.

Blink

Tooth and Claw

Love and Monsters

The Green Death

The Stones of Blood

The Androids of Tara

The War Games

And the one that ranks at the absolute bottom, the very last item on my list-

The Edge of Destruction!

Ooh, someone goes all in with classic episodes!

I don't know what my favorites are and I readily admit that I've not seen them all anyway. I like The Androids of Tara too, that might make my list. And, I really like (feel free to groan) The Curse of Fenric. The Edge of Destruction is just a weird episode. Mostly because nothing really happens.

Since I've only seen season One of New Who, I don't think I've seen this Blink??

I do remember The Empty Child and Bad Wolf and its sequel being very good from that season.

Of all time, though, I've always had a fond spot for The Talons of Weng Ch'iang... :D

The Andriods of Tara sounds really familiar, but honestly I haven't seen Classic Who in years, so I have trouble remembering specific episode names. The fact that I remember the Talons one easily makes it stand out.