Menu

Do you use jar spagetti (marinara) sauce?

Is yours from a jar?  

1. 1. Is yours from a jar?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (There is one in every crowd.)

We usually grow lots of tomatoes, so we make spaghetti sauce and freeze it in mason jars. So technically yes it comes out of a jar. Eventually we run out of homegrown stuff. Then we do occasionally buy jarred sauce. Ever year I keep trying to figure out how much we need. 1 pint about every week and 1/2 would be about 35 pints so that is about five tomatoes per pint or 175 tomatoes, 70 garlic cloves, etc. Well we don't grow that much.... yet.

They feel kind of "dead" to me, and they tend to add sugar to them- a lot of sugar in some form or another.

An addendum to my earlier post - while I do use jarred sauces, I will NEVER buy anything with added sugar (I don't buy the "it's to cut the acid" excuse, especially when it's HFCS). But I won't even buy the organic brands with added organic sugar. Yuk.

TJ's Organic Marinara (and I think the other one with Basil) don't have added sugar. Classico is another brand that doesn't have sugar/HFCS - that's what I used to buy before I decided to try to switch to organic. It was actually really hard to find an organic brand without sugar... :confused: :glare:

An addendum to my earlier post - while I do use jarred sauces, I will NEVER buy anything with added sugar (I don't buy the "it's to cut the acid" excuse, especially when it's HFCS). But I won't even buy the organic brands with added organic sugar. Yuk.

When I make homemade, I cook down carrots to add some sweetness and I add milk at the end, those things cut the acid without adding sugar.

We usually grow lots of tomatoes, so we make spaghetti sauce and freeze it in mason jars. So technically yes it comes out of a jar. Eventually we run out of homegrown stuff. Then we do occasionally buy jarred sauce. Ever year I keep trying to figure out how much we need. 1 pint about every week and 1/2 would be about 35 pints so that is about five tomatoes per pint or 175 tomatoes, 70 garlic cloves, etc. Well we don't grow that much.... yet.

I started jarring my own tomatoes this year and learned fast it was too much of a task for how much of it we eat. It's much cheaper for me to buy the huge can from costco. I mean, four bushels of tomatoes seems to make something like five quarts. We would go through that in one meal. :glare: Not to mention doing it int he summer, heating up the house, sweating, peeling them.

Nope, I'll just stick to buying the cans.

I started jarring my own tomatoes this year and learned fast it was too much of a task for how much of it we eat. It's much cheaper for me to buy the huge can from costco. I mean, four bushels of tomatoes seems to make something like five quarts. We would go through that in one meal. :glare: Not to mention doing it int he summer, heating up the house, sweating, peeling them.

Nope, I'll just stick to buying the cans.

We cook them in the crock pot on the deck. Then blend them with skin on. So no heat, no peeling.

I'll buy white (alfredo) sauce, but not the red (marinara). I've never found one that I like well enough to continue using. They are all way too sweet for me.

I make homemade alfredo but every time I try to make the red sauce, I don't get something right and it doesn't get eaten. Also between work and everything else, I have to cut some corners where I can. I try to buy only the sauces with the best ingredients.

:iagree:My mother was 100% Italian, though she was 2nd generation American. No one on either side of her family put sugar in their sauce.

I don't care what it's called (acid, etc), spaghetti sauce without sugar is too tart for me. I just put a pinch or two of sugar in.

I don't care what it's called (acid, etc), spaghetti sauce without sugar is too tart for me. I just put a pinch or two of sugar in.

my MIL, 100% Italian put sugar in her sauce, as did her mother. It's the canned tomatoes-they have citric acid in them. That's why I use a carrot grated very fine and San Marzano tomatoes-they're sweeter. All that volcanic ash.

I started using jarred sauce as the base -- Muir Glen Cabernet Marinara -- mostly so I don't have to worry so much about BPA's with the glass bottles. I like this particular sauce because it's thick but still has a nice texture. Onion, zucchini, and sometimes mushrooms and garlic are added. For parties I make two pots, one vegan, one meaty (a 4:1 mixture of ground beef and ground pork).