Menu

Two parents saved their baby

The mom was ahead of the dad and he kind of shoved her closer towards the car, she cracked the window open with her elbow and started to drag, dad kept running and leaped in the window she broke and started to kick car-jacker butt. Car jacker crashed car and ran off. Baby had some glass in him and moms arm mildly hurt, but otherwise all okay.

Ok...first let me say I'm very glad their baby is safe and they were able to fight off the carjacker.

However, putting an infant in a running car, in a parking lot, and turning your back on the car???? :confused: Just doesn't seem like a wise thing to do.

Well yes and no.

It wasn't a parking lot, it was a gas station.

They had filled up their car and were waiting for their family filling up a truck behind them. They stepped between the two vehicles to discuss something (directions? Idk) while the truck was fueling.

So sure we should never take our eyes off the running car with the baby in it.

But on the other hand, they probably didn't think some donkey would jump in with them only a few feet away either.

Ok...first let me say I'm very glad their baby is safe and they were able to fight off the carjacker.

However, putting an infant in a running car, in a parking lot, and turning your back on the car???? :confused: Just doesn't seem like a wise thing to do.

i see what you are saying...

but it was kold(thus the kar and heater)...the parents were probably just

saying goodbye...generally ther is little to no risk in doing that...i would do

that

Still? Maybe little but not no . . . no? I'm with Heather.

I would be too jumpy to leave a baby in a car like that...even a few feet. Of course, I'm the person who looped baby's seat harness through the loop of my handbag, so I could never "forget" him and let him cook.

That was a truck stop on the four lane. Even in Kansas, where I feel very at home, I am even more vigilant than usual at such a shifting place.

Wow. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes! I have a six month old. I can't even imagine this happening. I'm so happy for those parents!!!

:iagree:

Well yes and no.

It wasn't a parking lot, it was a gas station.

They had filled up their car and were waiting for their family filling up a truck behind them. They stepped between the two vehicles to discuss something (directions? Idk) while the truck was fueling.

So sure we should never take our eyes off the running car with the baby in it.

But on the other hand, they probably didn't think some donkey would jump in with them only a few feet away either.

:iagree: now, but although I never strapped a carseat to my handbag, I was more like kalanamak. I didn't forget a dc anywhere until my ds was about 5 and it was in a safe place, thankfully, and it was only when I didn't take him there with me all the time. That was when I finally undestood that it is possible.

I would be too jumpy to leave a baby in a car like that...even a few feet. Of course, I'm the person who looped baby's seat harness through the loop of my handbag, so I could never "forget" him and let him cook.

That was a truck stop on the four lane. Even in Kansas, where I feel very at home, I am even more vigilant than usual at such a shifting place.

I'm like you, because every story I hear makes me so nervous, but I can see myself having stood a few feet away like that if I'd had dc when I was very young instead of in my mid-late 30s.

Oh for crying it loud. This was not neglect on the parents part. That's ridiculous.

Most of the time, yes, I think a parent can stand chatting with family between their two vehicles while one of those vehicles is being fueled up even if their sleeping baby is strapped in one of them without undue fear of some jerk jumping in the car.

There is not a parent here who can or even should watch their child every moment. Their claims that they can are delusional blarney.

The only person at fault here is the car jacker.

He could have jumped in and started it while the dad pumped gas. He could have yanked dad out of the drivers seat. Then I'm sure someone would say well the dad should have locked the doors.

Oh for crying it loud. This was not neglect on the parents part. That's ridiculous.

Most of the time, yes, I think a parent can stand chatting with family between their two vehicles while one of those vehicles is being fueled up even if their sleeping baby is strapped in one of them without undue fear of some jerk jumping in the car.

There is not a parent here who can or even should watch their child every moment. Their claims that they can are delusional blarney.

The only person at fault here is the car jacker.

He could have jumped in and started it while the dad pumped gas. He could have yanked dad out of the drivers seat. Then I'm sure someone would say well the dad should have locked the doors.

:iagree: It's human nature to find out how a situation is someone's fault because then we can convince ourselves that it will never happen to us because we would *never* do xyz and cause it to happen.;) It isn't as if the mom and dad went into the gas station leaving the baby in a running car outside - they were what, 10 feet away? Close enough that they were able to chase the car down!

I didn't say neglect. I said I wouldn't do it. Having spent 10 rather unwilling years in NYC, I am constantly aware of what people around me are doing. And might possibly be doing. Actually, I would be more afraid, in that situation that the car could move than a thief, and consider no age too young to get **in the habit of** never leaving a child in a car.

Having foiled a carjacking once (a "planned fender bender"), I am ever vigilant.I'm not crazy. I don't hide and chew my nails, but I am very alert.

They weren't neglectful, I agree and no one said neglect here. Some of us happen to know of very unlikely scenarios like this beforehand and do things differently, that's all. In my case it has a lot to do with starting a family at an older age and other than a brief period during my teen years & early 20s I've always been extra careful (which in my case is a remnant from my wimpy years as a dc--I was the kid who closed her eyes when a ball came close, which is totally illogical, of course.) I'm fully aware that there is no way I can watch my dc 24/7 nor can I prevent everything, especially now that they're older. I can even understand how someone could forget a baby in a car, especially if the baby is sleeping in a rear facing seat and they don't have the baby with them all of the time, and this isn't anything CLOSE to being the same type of situation. But it is natural for people who do things differently to mention it.

In my mind, these parents are heroes.

That could have happened as she was walking around to the drivers seat after having secured the baby in the carseat. If someone truly wants something, or wants to do you harm, there is always a way.

I err on the side of paranioa in most things...I've had too many creepy experiences. I lock car doors while driving. I keep my keys in my pocket until I'm in the driver's seat (door locked LOL) so even if someone jumped into my van they couldn't drive it anywhere. I even look into the windows before getting into the van. I've had 2 freaky experiences involving a vehicle though, and I'm not going to have a 3rd if I can help it. People must watch me and think I look stupid or too distracted with littles to notice.:glare:

I don't fault the parents here. The carjacker may have done the same even if a parent was in the backseat with the baby. They were standing RIGHT THERE, and they were with a caravan of people they knew and trusted. Baby had to be an arm's length away if mom could bust out the window before the carjacker got away.

I'm like you, because every story I hear makes me so nervous, but I can see myself having stood a few feet away like that if I'd had dc when I was very young instead of in my mid-late 30s.

Well I would have done what the parents did too and I was late 30's when I had my first. It doesn't have anything to do with being young. They were supervising their child in a perfectly reasonable manner.

:iagree: It's human nature to find out how a situation is someone's fault because then we can convince ourselves that it will never happen to us because we would *never* do xyz and cause it to happen.;) !

Absolutely, totally agree. :iagree::iagree:

It's a way of maintaining the illusion of control.

Well I would have done what the parents did too and I was late 30's when I had my first. It doesn't have anything to do with being young. They were supervising their child in a perfectly reasonable manner.

:iagree: I have no idea why some keep harping on the age of the parents. Heck, I know many grandparents that think it is thoroughly silly to take the sleeping baby in with you to pay for gas.

No one is saying these things don't happen. Obviously they do. But the chances of my car with baby being stolen from right in front of me and within feet of me, is pretty low. Low enough that some people don't see a justification for living their life or raising their kids in paranoia of the less likely of things happening.

Absolutely, totally agree. :iagree::iagree:

It's a way of maintaining the illusion of control.

I stand corrected. They left the car running. Now I KNOW I would have never been in that situation, short of someone near by having a cardiac arrest, and even then I would be seated before starting car, and would have probably, by habit, grabbed the keys as I got out of the car.

Heh, bet they never do it again!

http://www.kansas.com/2010/11/23/1601482/colorado-couple-fight-off-carjacker.html

:iagree: I have no idea why some keep harping on the age of the parents. Heck, I know many grandparents that think it is thoroughly silly to take the sleeping baby in with you to pay for gas.

This started because I said I would have done it differently at a younger age because of what I've seen, and I would have, but I don't for a minute think that everyone is like me. As for grandparents, I totally agree, but sometimes that's a result of when they raised their kids.

I also agree that it could have happened with the parents in the backseat. It could even happen with the parents in the front seat if the hijacker had a gun or other weapon--some carjackings go like that.

Anyway, the baby is safe, the parents alive and apparently well. Too bad they haven't found the carjacker, though.