Menu

Christmas gifts for the pre-teen/teen crowd

What are you getting your 12-14 yr olds (or whatever age, older kids) for Christmas?

I've got no ideas this year really. My 14yo does need new camping equipment, specifically for backpacking, but I have no idea what to get my girls (12). I have one shirt for dd2, and 2 skeins of yarn, and a package of crochet hooks for dd1. That's it.

They want mP3 players, but I'm leary because they got some last year, and they died. Somebody of course lost the warrenty cards, and so couldn't/didn't get them fixed. :tongue_smilie:

Then there are the neices/nephews in similar age range....... Help?:confused:

Ds nearly 14 is going to get a kindle and case. I refuse to get him an i touch which he would love because I don't want him on the internet all night!

If he didn't already have an mp3 player I would get him one of those instead as he does listen to audio books on them.

I am also getting several audio books

Stephanie

So far I've gotten my 16 ds a set of plastic medieval knights (like green army men) because he just really into that period of history. He just got bongo drums for his bd. I have no idea what to do for Christmas. Dd 13 got some girl spy novels and ds games for her birthday. No idea on Christmas for her either. I asked them to make lists and to make a list for their little brother too. Because I really have no idea. And my mil expects me to buy presents from her and my mother expects me to tell her what to buy. And I have no idea...

I have the same dilemma about my dd (13), but just found the cutest flip flop slippers with matching "flip flop socks" (Toe is separate from the rest of the sock) at littemissmatch.com. Some clothes, a jewelry box from PB Teen, knitting stuff, a Beatles t-shirt, and here's the kicker-- she's desperate for:

AN OBEDIENCE DUMBELL! ;-) She earned a CD on her dog in October and is working on Open exercises so she needs a retrieve dumbell. I"m not sure whether to write her name or the dog's name on the tag! :001_smile:

astrid

My stepson is 14, and has always been really hard to shop for. We are big on books as gifts, and he's not a fan of reading, which makes it even tougher. I got him the first Alex Rider book, since I try a new series on him every holiday in hopes that eventually he'll find something he likes. I also got him a bunch of graphic novels/graphic nonfiction, and maybe that will appeal to him more. We got one of those giant photo-heavy books on cars that I consider a coffee table book, but I think it will be the first book from us that he actually reads. :D DH found a nice deal on a very basic but sturdy survival flashlight and knife set, and I stumbled across this game which sounds like his sort of thing. I think we''l add in an iTunes gift card and be done.

My oldest is getting a portable iHome clock radio (her ipod can dock on it and charge). She's also getting a luggage set of her own (black and white polk-a-dot, of course!) for traveling to church retreats and summer camp. Beyond that, she's mostly getting "needed" things...like a new winter coat, rainboots, some clothing.

I have a very mature 13 yo, and for the last 2 years, her big gifts have been:

1. A sheepskin rug from Pottery Barn, purchased at the last minute as an act of desperation. She always lies on her floor between her bed and the wall and reads, and this rug fits in there perfectly. It was a huge, and shocking, hit.

2. An upholstered chair for her room. After #1 above, I realized that once in a while, she might want to sit in her room. I found the ugliest chair you can imagine on Craigslist ($40) and had it upholstered (not cheap, but cheaper than a new chair), and it looks fabulous.

Another big hit was a Vera Bradley messenger bag to replace her pink backpack.

This year, she is getting real Uggs.

Terri

My almost 14 year old wants a cell phone so my dh is researching for him. My almost 12 year old dd wants contact lenses so she can take a break from wearing glasses so I am researching that for her. My almost 11 year old ds is still into Legos.

They all love eating out and going to the movies, which we rarely do so maybe gift cards for one of those, too.

ugh! My 12.5yo ds only wants computer/video games for christmas. That's it. He can give me no other ideas. I swear I am going to buy him an ugly sweater. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

I refuse to get him an i touch which he would love because I don't want him on the internet all night!

e

Yep, ds wants an itouch or an ipad. :glare: He's not getting either one!

I'm getting some great ideas---Keep them coming!

We're getting ds14 a iTouch. BUT it'll have to be downstairs at 9 pm. He may NOT take it to bed!!! He'll also have limited access to the internet on it. When I told him I was worried about the internet on it, HE went and found a way for me to limit it! He must really want it! LOL

Ds13 is getting a nice camera.

Ds10 - NO idea! He's at that in-between age. He wants the latest techie gift, but he still likes toys. I try to get him something active each year. Last year he got a unicycle and it's been a HUGE hit!!!!

Ds (11) is getting a netbook this year. Dh talked about getting him one with a processor good for gaming but I put the nix on that. He already has a desktop computer that's good for gaming. The netbook is for schoolwork.

I don't worry about him spending unsupervised time on the Internet. His desktop is in a common area and his netbook will be for when he's in classes or when he's in the family room or living room with us.

I also got him a subscription to Make magazine. I've asked relatives to give him giftcards to thinkgeek, leatherworking tools/materials and camping/backpacking supplies.

My 14yo son is getting a bathrobe (his existing one is six inches above his knee and the sleeves are up to his elbow), an itunes giftcard, a camera for his computer, aaaaand... something else I haven't decided on yet. His favorite part of christmas is his stocking, though. :)

DD12 is getting a certificate for a Winter Blast Weekend camp. She'll be able to get back together with her summer camp friends to snowboard, snowtube, and play broom hockey.

The only other things I know of are some fun t-shirts and hoodies she's had her eye on. She'd love a magazine subscription, but which one?? I need to research.

I love the sheepskin rug and unicycle ideas; those would be hits here, also, so I need to think on that!

Edited by BridgeTea

For teens, I like to give the gift of an experience instead of a thing. If they do get things, they get stuff to support their individual passions or transition them into adult careers/hobbies:

DS15: Last year he got fencing gear (foil, mask, jacket). This year he is getting serious drawing lessons (and supplies for the lessons).

DS13: My (not so) little drummer boy. Both last year and this year the big gift is cymbals.

These gifts are not surprises. We have discussed their desires and goals for themselves. Both boys are excited with the anticipation of receiving their gifts.

We've gotten my godsons t-shirts for a few years in a row--Monty Python, Simpsons, or the like. A great site for t-shirts is http://www.threadless.com/, with many clever or beautiful designs. There's a lot of fun stuff at http://www.thinkgeek.com/ too.

:iagree: Both are really fun for tees.

Dd mostly has books or movies on dvd on her list. So, she's getting those items. Plus a few books she didn't mention. She's also getting craft type stuff (kirigami-a-day calendar + small, sharp Fiskars scissors to go w/ it; etching art kit; a nice set of fine-tip markers; perhaps a latch hook kit to try) & some gift cards (Wizards 101, plus one or two from other people, probably for the bookstore or Target). Her big gift will be a ticket to go see a show w/ me (her younger brother is getting a ticket to a pro football game w/ dad & cousin) -- not sure what show yet; I may print a list of upcoming ones & let her choose which one she'd like. She also wants a certain magazine subscription that we'll probably do.

One thing our kids get almost every year is a bag of critter munchies (corn/nuts/etc... to put out for squirrels) & bird seed.

Oh, and we may get a pulley for the kids to use for their big treehouse.

I have a 15yo nephew. This year, the football game ticket is his gift from us. He also just had his birthday. Things we've given him (or that have been on his wish list): video games, gift card to movie theater, books, manga/comic subscription, dvds, iTunes gift card, etc....