Menu

Harry Potter - Who's Seen It And Wants To Discuss **SPOILERS**

Saw it today. :)

Loved it.

I'm so glad they decided to split this up into two movies.

Yes, it was dark. Yes, it was intense. Yes, it was violent and gruesome and very difficult to watch at times. Yes, it was absolutely heartbreakingly tragic at times. But it was still incredibly well done, the actors did a phenomenol job and the cinematography was beautiful.

I know that even with splitting it into two movies, decisions are going to have to be made and things are going to be cut and rearranged.

There were a few personal favorite moments that I had hoped to see but were left out..

Dumbledore's Past..I don't see how they can leave this out entirely though and I have a really strong feeling that the second half will open with those scenes.

Kreacher's Tale..without the retelling of how Regulus came across and stole the original locket this storyline wasn't as cohesive as it could have been.

Ron's Ghoul..yeah, yeah..of course it got cut. But it would have been fun if it hadn't.

Wormtail's Demise..perhaps the most fitting ending for a character in the series. I'm thinking that maybe his death has simply been "delayed" for the time being.

Mad Eye's Eye..really..it would have only taken a second for Harry to reach around and take the eye with him. He didn't even have to bury it, as long as it didn't stay on her door.

Luna's Bedroom..sigh..the part in the book when Harry looks up and sees himself, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Neville all painted on her ceiling with the words "friends" encircling them was one of my favorites...I was looking forward to seeing it in the film.

Dudley's Goodbye..this one ticked me off. This sentimental yet awkward moment when Dudley finally shows some affection and concern for Harry had me welling up with tears when I read it. If I could choose one moment to add in, this would be it.

Even though the dancing scene with Harry and Hermione wasn't in the book, I thought it was really well done and sweet. I thought they could have done a better job explaining exactly what it was that Hermione, Ron and Harry were up to in regards to exactly what Horcruxes are and why they needed to destroy them...I felt like those who hadn't read the books might be a little lost as to what was going on.

Hoping that there are some other fans out there too!!!

Overall I loved the movie. Like, you, there were a few things I wished were in the movie. I agree with everything you said.

I also want to see the back story as to why his family was so awful to him.

Mad Eye's Eye-totally with you. Why couldn't he take it with him. It was just wrong, wrong, wrong, for Harry to leave it there.

I cried when Dobby was killed. In the book and in the movie.

I am hopeful Dumbledore's past will show up in the next movie.

I can't wait for part 2.

I also want to see the back story as to why his family was so awful to him.

I'm pretty sure that the history between Harry's mom and his Aunt Petunia as well as why Snape felt about Harry the way that he did in the second when Harry sees Snape's memories. That chapter, "The Prince's Tale", was my absolute most favorite chapter of the book.

Shutterbug I agree with you on most parts!

We saw it today and loved it also. I'm also really glad they split it into two parts! I can't imagine trying to tell this story in the lenght of one movie.

I wished the Dudley's goodbye had been included as well. I thought that was important. And I would have liked to see Luna's bedroom and Harry take Mad Eye's eye as well.

However I iddn't think it was that dark. Or even that violent or gruesome. Intense and yes, tragically heartbreaking at times, but no where near as dark or violent as the other films. I thought it was intense in a suspenseful way, but not intense in a dark way.

But I agree it was incredibly well done.

It was a bit odd to have Harry & Hermione go from clothed to poof, randomly naked in the Horcrux scene :glare:

It was slow, because the book half it was based on was slow. It picked up the pace considerably from the book, and it kept the entire main plot and a lot of actual book quotes without cutting out anything that was vital, which is impressive. I wish the escape scene at the Malfoy's was more... tense? I don't know. But I do like how they moved everything along without cutting giant parts out. And while I wish they could have shown the Wormtail bit, I can understand that it would have taken a lot of time to show properly, and it might be hard to show how it's Voldemort punishing him for mercy and understanding the history between Wormtail & Harry Potter for those who hadn't read the books or paid close attention in the movies.

I did really like their version of the assault on the ministry! And the seven Harrys, and everything with the twins and Neville. (Yay, Neville!!)

Loved it.

Yes, it was dark. Yes, it was intense. Yes, it was violent and gruesome and very difficult to watch at times. Yes, it was absolutely heartbreakingly tragic at times. But it was still incredibly well done, the actors did a phenomenol job and the cinematography was beautiful.

I know that even with splitting it into two movies, decisions are going to have to be made and things are going to be cut and rearranged.

There were a few personal favorite moments that I had hoped to see but were left out..

Kreacher's Tale..without the retelling of how Regulus came across and stole the original locket this storyline wasn't as cohesive as it could have been.

Mad Eye's Eye..really..it would have only taken a second for Harry to reach around and take the eye with him. He didn't even have to bury it, as long as it didn't stay on her door.

Luna's Bedroom..sigh..the part in the book when Harry looks up and sees himself, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Neville all painted on her ceiling with the words "friends" encircling them was one of my favorites...I was looking forward to seeing it in the film.

Dudley's Goodbye..this one ticked me off. This sentimental yet awkward moment when Dudley finally shows some affection and concern for Harry had me welling up with tears when I read it. If I could choose one moment to add in, this would be it.

Even though the dancing scene with Harry and Hermione wasn't in the book, I thought it was really well done and sweet.

:iagree: with the above parts!

We had a Harry Potter marathon at our house yesterday with 13 friends then went to the midnight showing! I loved the movie! I was so concerned with how they were going to do this that I was pleasantly surprised.

I teared up when Hermione had to obliviate her parent's memories and cried when Dobby died (I figured it would be emotional). The whole movie WAS an emotional rollercoaster!

I was really, really disappointed about Luna's bedroom. I was waiting for that scene. :( I love Luna's character and how she interacts with them all. I also thought it would have taken a moment only to grab Mad-Eye's eye. Nobody would leave it to that nasty Umbridge ;) Kreacher WAS rushed, he didn't even get to cook them the yummy meals LOL. Dh thought that they didn't go into enough depth about Snape being headmaster, but I think they will deal with that more in the next movie since a huge portion of it will happen at Hogwarts.

I didn't like how they got a little TOO intense with the Horcrux and Ron. We didn't need to see so much of Hermione and Harry there.:blink:

Dh got one of his favorite lines...Fred and George exclaiming "We're identical!" :lol:

That's all I can think of for now. I'm so tired from being up till 3:30 last night.

Shutterbug I agree with you on most parts!

We saw it today and loved it also. I'm also really glad they split it into two parts! I can't imagine trying to tell this story in the lenght of one movie.

I wished the Dudley's goodbye had been included as well. I thought that was important. And I would have liked to see Luna's bedroom and Harry take Mad Eye's eye as well.

However I iddn't think it was that dark. Or even that violent or gruesome. Intense and yes, tragically heartbreaking at times, but no where near as dark or violent as the other films. I thought it was intense in a suspenseful way, but not intense in a dark way.

But I agree it was incredibly well done.

Maybe because I was watching it alongside my fairly sensitive 8 yo. so I had my mommy goggles on the whole time, lol.

I guess maybe it was just the general forboding tone of the film along with the way the cinematography was done (lots of dreary scenery with cool, blue filters). There wasn't much happiness..it was pretty much one sad or intense scene after the next..

The opening scene, with the Muggle's Studies teacher, was hard to watch..partly because of the pure evil and cruelty that Voldemort expresses, but also because of Snape having to sit and watch and do nothing leaving her feeling scared and confused before suffering a gruesome death.

The Bathilda Bagshot/Nagnini scene was pretty intense and scary too, especially in the IMAX theater, lol.

I had a hard time watching Hermione's torture scene...I was dreading that one the most.

And of course...Dobby. I didn't cry when Dobby died in the book...but the scene in the film broke my heart.

Overall, I loved the movie. I pretty much agree with you (Shutterbug) about the scenes I was hoping to see, but understand why most of them were cut. The two big things I wish were there...

Dumbledore's past - I think this is needed so you can see how abandoned Harry felt.

Ron's return - the reunion with Harry was just... blah. Again, I wish we had gotten a better sense of how alone Harry felt without Ron there. I also wish they had mentioned why Ron needed to be the one to destroy the horcrux.

I loved the added scene with the Hogwarts train and Neville. We love Neville! I can't wait to see him in Part 2. :)

I didn't like the scenes where the camera was bouncing around so much.

I can live with it, though, and was happy with the movie. I am so ready for Part 2!

Overall, I loved the movie. I pretty much agree with you (Shutterbug) about the scenes I was hoping to see, but understand why most of them were cut. The two big things I wish were there...

Dumbledore's past - I think this is needed so you can see how abandoned Harry felt.

Ron's return - the reunion with Harry was just... blah. Again, I wish we had gotten a better sense of how alone Harry felt without Ron there. I also wish they had mentioned why Ron needed to be the one to destroy the horcrux.

I loved the added scene with the Hogwarts train and Neville. We love Neville! I can't wait to see him in Part 2. :)

I didn't like the scenes where the camera was bouncing around so much.

I can live with it, though, and was happy with the movie. I am so ready for Part 2!

Totally agree!

If I had to bet on it, I'd place my wager on the scenes with Dumbledore's past being the opening for the second film. I'm feeling pretty cocky right now in my guesstimating abilities since I guessed that part 1 would end with Voldemort obtaining the Elder Wand. Not to mention that two actors were cast in the roles of young Dumbledore as well as young Grindewald ;) .

I was wondering why they left out the Goblin's story of the fake sword, but you're right, it would just add more complexity to an already complex plotline.

I was happy to see Neville too! He's one of my favorites and I love the transformation his character has made over the years :) . Yup, Neville rocks!

I also thought that the scenes where Harry is seeing what Voldemort is doing were too choppy, quick and confusing. If you didn't know what was going on you might be like..what the..?

Edited by ShutterBug

I agree about the cinematography. I wondered how they would capture that sense that they were out on their own for a long time trying to find horcruxes, and figure out where to go and what to do, and all those scenes of expansive unpopulated areas really worked to do that. It felt like Ron came back much more quickly than he did in the book. The fascistic scenes of the Ministry, the propaganda posters, etc. were a great addition. I was surprised by how much from the book they preserved, and still can't figure out how they'll squeeze the rest of it into just one more movie! I teared up over both Hedwig and Dobby, (though I just finished reading the last two chapters of book 6 aloud to DS last night, and was sniffing through most of that, too).

Maybe because I was watching it alongside my fairly sensitive 8 yo. so I had my mommy goggles on the whole time, lol.

The opening scene, with the Muggle's Studies teacher, was hard to watch..partly because of the pure evil and cruelty that Voldemort expresses, but also because of Snape having to sit and watch and do nothing leaving her feeling scared and confused before suffering a gruesome death.

The Bathilda Bagshot/Nagnini scene was pretty intense and scary too, especially in the IMAX theater, lol.

I had a hard time watching Hermione's torture scene...I was dreading that one the most.

And of course...Dobby. I didn't cry when Dobby died in the book...but the scene in the film broke my heart.

Well I was with my fairly sensitive 8yo as well. Yes it had intesity, but I don't think it was darkly intense like the last few were. A different kind of intensity.

I thought all the scene's you mentioned were very well done, but compared to the other movies, just no where near as dark or intense.

Well I was with my fairly sensitive 8yo as well. Yes it had intesity, but I don't think it was darkly intense like the last few were. A different kind of intensity.

I thought all the scene's you mentioned were very well done, but compared to the other movies, just no where near as dark or intense.

Maybe because this was the only one to scare him..and make him cry.

He's read all the books..so he knew what was coming..but I think that you're own imagination won't produce images that are too scary for yourself to handle..someone else's interpretation of the same scenes is a different story, lol. This is the first move that we've seen in the theater too...the IMAX screen and sound can intensify things :) .

Another thing I liked that they added - the scene at the beginning with Hermione doing the "obliviate" spell on her parents. Very sad.

:iagree:

It made me with that they had done more of the books this way. The suspense is killing me but in the end the quality of coverage is so much better.

Of course maybe when it is all over we will get director's cut editions like they did with Lord of the Rings-adding in another 1/2 hour or so.

I don't know. The special blue boxed "Ultimate Edition" version with extra deleted scenes and everything had all of TWO extra scenes in Sorcerer's Stone.

I don't know. The special blue boxed "Ultimate Edition" version with extra deleted scenes and everything had all of TWO extra scenes in Sorcerer's Stone.

I'm hoping that once all is finished in the theaters they will announce an edition like I described. Ok-that is at least 2 years away... but I'll wait.

:toetap05:

I thought it was pretty good overall but I did NOT like the semi-nude makeout scene with Harry & Hermione. That was very inappropriate in a movie that the producers know children will see. Even though it is rated PG-13, many parents will assume that's because of the violence rather than s*x. Stupidly, I neglected to check the "Movie Mom" review and took my 8 y.o. She's read the books and seen the other movies so I thought it would be fine for her. Had I known about the scene with Harry & Hermione, I would've waited until it came out on DVD.

I wanted to see Kreacher come around. Loved the Obliviate charm. Needed more of Neville and Luna, they are dears. Fred and George were great, enjoyed meeting Bill Weasley.

Couldn't believe they left out Dudley's contribution. Dobby saying "I'm an elf", Dobby's sad demise was well done, but I thought Harry sounded weird blurting out "I want to bury him properly, no magic." They could have gotten that point across without the lousy dialoge. (sp??)

I thought the Horcrux messing with Ron was good, but the reunion between the three fell flat. Loved the dancing scene.

Thought that what's her name suspended over the table was appropriately scary, and disturbing when she begged Snape for help. Well done

Edited by Remudamom

I agree with the things other people wanted to see: Kreacher's story and change, Luna's room, Dumbledore's past which, I agree probably makes more sense in the next movie), Mad-Eye's eye, Dudley's goodbye. I'm torn about the goblin/sword issue. I agree that there were bits that would not have made sense to those who have not read the books. In fact, dh kept asking me questions. :tongue_smilie:

I thought it was excellent. I did NOT like the make out scene with Hermione and Harry. However the commercial for some men's cologne before the movie was MUCH worse, if that makes anyone feel any better. Ugh! Talk about incredibly inappropriate.

I liked the scene in the book of Harry finding the partial note in Sirius' bedroom from Lily. I really would have liked more of seeing Kreacher come around because of the kids' change of attitude. It was a bit redeeming for them to me. I don't miss the goblin/sword thing. I didn't care for that part of the book. I hope they keep the part of ----------------------spoiler if you haven't read the book-----------------breaking out of Gringott's with the dragon to get the cup. I thought that was an incredible scene in the book.

I thought the movie was great. I really enjoyed seeing SO much of the book, so accurately done. I liked the addition of the dance scene in the tent. That was sweet and funny. I will try really hard to see it again before it leaves the theatre.

the commercial for some men's cologne before the movie was MUCH worse, if that makes anyone feel any better. Ugh! Talk about incredibly inappropriate.

That must've been something that the theater chain decided to run because fortunately there wasn't anything like that in the commercials before the showing I saw.

I would personally submit a complaint to the theater management in a case like that.

Loved it.

Dumbledore's Past..I don't see how they can leave this out entirely though and I have a really strong feeling that the second half will open with those scenes.

Ron's Ghoul..yeah, yeah..of course it got cut. But it would have been fun if it hadn't.

Wormtail's Demise..perhaps the most fitting ending for a character in the series. I'm thinking that maybe his death has simply been "delayed" for the time being.

Even though the dancing scene with Harry and Hermione wasn't in the book, I thought it was really well done and sweet. I thought they could have done a better job explaining exactly what it was that Hermione, Ron and Harry were up to in regards to exactly what Horcruxes are and why they needed to destroy them...I felt like those who hadn't read the books might be a little lost as to what was going on.

:iagree: I missed the dancing scene so I'll just have to go back and see it again :D

I am a bit anxious about the next movie- how are they going to handle the story of Snape and Lilly? They HAVE to do it well- and they just have to include Dumbledore's past. I think they did a good job with this movie, but I hope the next one is even better.

My 7 yr old really wants to see this movie. We recently finished the books, and she has seen all the movies up to this one. I've been warned by IRL friends who went to the midnight showing, though, about the Harry/Hermione Horcrux scene, and I see others here have mentioned it, as well. How graphic is it and how far do they get in the whole scheme of making out? I don't think the nakedness will be that big a deal because we're not exceptionally modest. I'm more concerned about the level of physical interaction. Can anyone go into more detail on that so I can make up my mind about taking her? She has seen our turtles in action, but I'd rather not get into the whole physical relations between man and woman just yet.

My 7 yr old really wants to see this movie. We recently finished the books, and she has seen all the movies up to this one. I've been warned by IRL friends who went to the midnight showing, though, about the Harry/Hermione Horcrux scene, and I see others here have mentioned it, as well. How graphic is it and how far do they get in the whole scheme of making out? I don't think the nakedness will be that big a deal because we're not exceptionally modest. I'm more concerned about the level of physical interaction. Can anyone go into more detail on that so I can make up my mind about taking her? She has seen our turtles in action, but I'd rather not get into the whole physical relations between man and woman just yet.

They are embracing while kissing. They are both naked, with foggy, swirly air all around them.

Here's an excerpt from the Plugged In review:

After the Horcrux is opened, the ghastly specter within shows Ron a vision of Harry and Hermione kissing, a deceptive image intended to turn him against his friends. By Harry Potter standards it's a fairly racy scene, as we see the two passionately intertwined. Their shoulders and a bit of their torsos are bare, implying that they're naked and embracing as lovers.

Here's an excerpt from the Kids in Mind review:

A teenage boy has a vision of a presumably nude (we see bare upper arms and shoulders) shadowy teenage boy and teenage girl kissing quite passionately, their arms wrapped around one another.

I was uncomfortable by the sensuality of the scene because the implication was that it was either foreplay or part of the act itself (the viewer only sees the heads & upper torsos).

We went last night and I was struck with how FAST it all moved. I had just re-read book 7 this week, so it was all VERY fresh in my mind. I'm thinking I won't re-read again before the 2nd movie.

I definitely wish they'd kept in about Dudley and Kreacher, as well as Harry finding the letter (but again, if they're leaving out Dumbledore's past for now, that's another bit of that....).

I am hoping they'll set up the deathly hallows and harry's obsession in the next film. I thought it very odd and glaringly obvious that they totally left his Invisibility Cloak completely out of this movie and I don't understand the reasoning for that at all. Unless Daniel Radcliffe pitched a fit over needing more scene time....?

I LOVED the way they did the scene when Hermione is reading the Beedle the Bard/Tale of Three Brothers. That bit was genius. Ditto the scene when Hermione hears snatchers and we see that the enchantments/protective charms do work. Very cool scene.

I was sad it didn't show that Shell Cottage is Bill & Fleur's house, and they never once picked up the Potterwatch radio show, never encountered Dean, the goblin, etc. in the forest. Thought maybe *that * scene would have been a decent sub for the snatcher scene on showing how the charms worked, but then I guess this introduced the snatchers better than the way the book did.

I did find most scenes LESS emotional for me than the ones in the book. perhaps because I had JUST read the book, perhaps because the action moved so quickly away from anything with potential emotion, you didn't have time to be sad. I didn't actually cry a single time (almost, yes; actual tears, no) though by this point in the book I'd cried several times (and all of those scenes but one are still in the movie). Says A LOT for Rowling's writing ability, I guess.

CanNOT wait for part 2.

Well, I saw it for a second time last night, and I still thought they did a great job of most everything. They did leave some really good stuff out that you all have already mentioned, but I think most people who see the movies have read the books, so that's okay. I do think Harry could have quickly grabbed Mad Eye's eye from the door. They really should have done that. And, Harry didn't seem too broken up about losing Hedwig. I think he should have been a little more upset.

My favorite line in the movie is when Rufus Scrimgeour says "This is the last will and testament of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore." I just like the way he says it.

I just saw it and am letting it sink in...

I agree with others who said that we were robbed by not seeing more about Dumbledore's backstory and Kreacher's change of heart. However, I can live with it, I think. I also wanted that scene with Bill Nighy to make it more clear how the ministry didn't really care about right or wrong or even stopping Voldemort - just about staying in control. But, oh well. I actually felt more robbed that we got less of Snape. I know that he plays a very small role at the start of the book, but his presence hovers over the story as the killer of Dumbledore and the ending of the book is integral to him. He's the Darth Vader of the story in a way - you think Star Wars 4-6 is about Luke, but then it turns out at the end that it's sort of always been about Vadar.

As always, I'm left wondering what people who haven't read the books are getting out of what's there. They stuck incredibly close to the narrative - yes, some stuff went by the wayside and we got a couple of added bits and a couple of things were rearranged - but it was very close. However, if someone hadn't read the books, does all the stuff about the horcruxes even make sense fully? Or the snatchers? Or the fall of the ministry and the takeover of Hogwarts?

One thing that I was very unsure about was where they chose to end it. To me, the book's logical halfway point is when Ron rejoins them. However, I think that might make a lousy movie ending because it makes RON the hero and the center of the story in some ways. So, maybe not. Another, for me, logical point to end it might have been after finding out about the Deathly Hallows because then, at least, the title makes sense and they're presented with the beginnings of the dilemma that forms part of the ending: horcruxes or hallows? Where they did end it felt strange to me because, first of all, it just sort of stopped. Yes, they added in Voldemort actually getting the wand, but eh... It's more that Dobby's death leads so nicely into Griphook helping them. Plus, at that point, there's just so much going on. The book managed to bring all these various wrapping ups and plot threads together nicely, but not until the end. I wondered how they would do it for the movie with it broken up and now I'm feeling like they just didn't. They were too busy adhering to the book to figure out how to make it into a proper story of it's own. I mean, it just ends and you're clearly in the middle.

But... well acted. Mostly lovely. Didn't mind the slightly jerky bits so much. Loved all the various scenery and the blue-gray tones of most scenes set the perfect mood.

See, I've been hypothesizing for awhile that part one would end with You Know Who acquiring the Elder Wand. A friend was betting that it would end when they were captured by the snatchers...more of a cliffhanger that way, but I could tell from the previews that Malfoy Manor was included in the part one storyline sequence.

Dumbledore's past will most definitely be in part two. It's too integral to the plot to skip it completely. Besides..if you check IMBD you'll see that the parts of both young Dumbledore and young Grindewald were cast.

Young Dumbledore..

YoungDumbledore-TobyRegbo.jpg

Young Grindewald..

jaime-campbell-bower-7.jpg

Edited by ShutterBug