Menu

Just a rant - CORN

I knew before we started this allergen free diet that corn was in a lot of what we ate. But now that I'm trying to eliminate it completely from our diet, I am astounded. Just...wow.

Tomatoes. Canned Fruit. Tea. Tuna. Chewing Gum.

The list just goes on, and on, and on.

Even in attempting to cook everything from scratch I'm having trouble. Vanilla, vinegar, baking soda, pretty much anything with citric acid or anti-caking agents.

I'm even having trouble finding a ham and turkey for Thanksgiving!!

Add to that eliminating eggs, dairy, wheat, and soy I'm :banghead:

So we are limited to eating overpriced veggies and fruit (that have likely been sprayed with a corn based substance to keep them pretty for the store) and corn-fed beef and chicken. OR I can spend money I don't have for grass fed, free range food that I can only minimally trust hasn't been fed corn.

Can't get away from it.

Yes, I know there are options. But it shouldn't be THIS hard and expensive to eat food that won't make us sick.

Way to go USDA. I'm so happy that you have come up with so many uses for all that subsidized corn. :(

I want to buy a small farm and grow my own CORN FREE food.

:grouphug:

I cannot have any of the top 8 allergens, and a lot of other things.

The only thing out of a box or can that I used to be able to eat when I could eat a few more foods was a few boxed items from health food stores.

People used to offer me boxed food and ask if I could eat it, I would tell them no before even reading the ingredients. They would look, and sure enough, there was always one and usually 2 or 3 things I could not eat.

It is amazing how many things they add corn and soy to. I am also allergic to soy oil, so that eliminates even more things. Did you know there is soy in all brands of tea bags?

I also get headaches from MSG, anything that says "spices" has MSG, trust me.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I have a friend whose daughter has a corn allergy (along with a host of other food allerfgies). It has been quite an education for me. I had known the obvious ones but had no idea about vanilla (Purchase vanilla powder instead of the liquid) and ascorbic acid.

If you have a whole foods near you they will bulk order items (such as rice crackers) for you and I believe also give you a 10% discount.

Tell me about it - my mil can not have any corn products or her airway starts to swell - add this to the various gout, egg allergies, and lactose intolerance and boy, is it fun to prepare Thanksgiving for everyone!

Natural organic turkeys from a local farm can be safe.... for salads some of the Newman's dressings are corn-free...you just learn how to read labels.

wait, so if you have a corn allergy - you can't eat animal meat that ate corn itself? i didn't know that. (do a lot of animals eat corn?)

If you are severely allergic, I don't really know. My dd has only tested allergic, and we are taking her allergins out of her diet to see if it helps with her asthma and fatigue.

That said, pretty much all commercial chicken and beef are corn fed. I have no idea if it could trigger a reaction, but I do know that is harmful to the animal because they aren't MEANT to eat corn. So they have to medicate them so they don't die. Even before we knew about the allergy it bothered me and now it's just another drop in the corn bucket :glare:

The problem with ham and turkey: the additives. Most store bought turkeys are injected with a solution that has corn derivatives. Ham often has corn syrup in it or on it.

Edited by Apryl H

I'm sure you already have this, but for those who don't know how pervasive corn is in our diets, here's a list of derivatives of corn or items that may be contaminated with corn:

http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.php

...and it's not completely exhaustive, by the way....

As you say, it's not complete. Do you have the link to this forum?

http://forums.delphiforums.com/AvoidingCorn

They've also put together a list that keeps changing as ingredients change. Then they discuss which things shouldn't be on the list because someone reacted, so it's a pretty good group to get information from.

One problem with the first list (quoted above) is that it only lists ingredients to look for. As many, many foods have corn added that is not listed in the ingredients, this isn't much help. (One wonders how they can get away with that, but that's another issue.) However, having a community of corn allergic people can be helpful as you get to read what their reactions are to various things.

I'm guessing that a lot of meat has corn in it mostly because it was sprayed with citric acid or some such thing --or because the packaging has corn in it. It sounds like the jury is still out on whether corn fed meat is a problem. It's a little hard to tell , given the processing and packaging methods that all involve corn. However, it does seem that grass fed beef tends to come from farms/processors that don't do quite as much to the meat, so it might be safer.

For safe vanilla -- get vanilla beans and soak them in imported potato vodka (don't use regular vodka -- it's virtually all made from corn). I wouldn't trust vanilla powder, particularly if it is made in the US.

As you say, it's not complete. Do you have the link to this forum?

http://forums.delphiforums.com/AvoidingCorn

They've also put together a list that keeps changing as ingredients change. Then they discuss which things shouldn't be on the list because someone reacted, so it's a pretty good group to get information from.

This forum has saved my moms sanity. I highly recommend it. She cannot even smell corn... as in popcorn... without going anaphylactic. She can't go into Target. She lives with us often so we have to add corn free on top of our top 8 + other allergens. Our grocery bill is our largest monthly expense.

I'm sorry you have to avoid it. It is by far the worst allergen to avoid. :grouphug:

I hear you. I have a corn allergy to go with my wheat, soy and tree nut allergies. Corn was by far the hardest to avoid.

btw - I did find a tuna that is only tuna and oil - it is some premium thing in a goldish colored can.

Barley, spelt, and that other grain that starts with a Q that I can't spell. Start looking at things like Nourishing Traditions to relearn how to cook. Think ancient grains.

I started making my own granola so that I could fill it with things I could have instead of always looking at things I couldn't.

:grouphug:

It is hard. and I just about cry when somebody wants to go out to dinner. It is just easier if I don't go.

Edited by Karen in CO

It's crazy, isn't it? Just unbelievable what's in our food. I'm allergic to corn (and a pile of other things) and WOW was there ever a huge learning curve figuring out what the heck to eat.

I've gotten used to it now for the most part...then my husband went and got diagnosed with a wheat allergy. Factoring THAT in on top of everything else has been a real challenge for me.

I keep thinking we need our own farm just to be able to get good, healthy foods too. It's so hard. :grouphug:

Grass Fed beef can be finished on corn for the last 90 days and still called "grass fed". If the diet of your meat is truly a concern your best bet is to find someone you can buy from locally a side at a time. It is usually a big expense at once, but in the end you end up cheaper pound for pound and the quality of the beef is higher. If you have a little land you could also buy a steer and finish it at home.

That way you know for sure exactly what went into your beef.

It all comes down to finding a source that you are confident in.

http://www.grass-fed-beef-101.com/definition_of_grass_fed_beef.html

wait, so if you have a corn allergy - you can't eat animal meat that ate corn itself? i didn't know that. (do a lot of animals eat corn?)

If you are severely allergic, I don't really know. My dd has only tested allergic, and we are taking her allergins out of her diet to see if it helps with her asthma and fatigue.

That said, pretty much all commercial chicken and beef are corn fed. I have no idea if it could trigger a reaction, but I do know that is harmful to the animal because they aren't MEANT to eat corn. So they have to medicate them so they don't die. Even before we knew about the allergy it bothered me and now it's just another drop in the corn bucket :glare:

The problem with ham and turkey: the additives. Most store bought turkeys are injected with a solution that has corn derivatives. Ham often has corn syrup in it or on it.

learn something new every day... what ARE cows supposed to eat? (i've never had a cow - hay?) and why do they feed them corn if they don't like corn? and why are turkeys injected with corn?

i love corn ~ plain corn, peaches & cream corn, corn on the cob, creamed corn...

..of course i'm not a cow.

I feel your pain. My dd and ds have a variety of food sensitivities. One of my dd's major one is corn. She basically eats mostly whole foods, rarely anything from a can or box. My dd is gluten intolerant. Our thanksgiving is going to be interesting. We are going to my counsin's house and bringing our own food. :lol:

I hear you! We have this problem (although not nearly as bad) because of ds's soy allergy. I've taken to buying foods from Canada, Mexico and numerous other countries from Cost Plus World Market simply because they don't have the farm bill and much less corn and soy!

We still have way too much corn and soy...it's in TONS of stuff here too!

learn something new every day... what ARE cows supposed to eat? (i've never had a cow - hay?) and why do they feed them corn if they don't like corn? and why are turkeys injected with corn?

Grass :)

Here's one of a million articles about it: http://smallbitesnutrition.blogspot.com/2007/10/king-corn-corn-cows-moooochos-problemas.html

Here's another:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=that-burger-youre-eating-is-mostly-corn

And here's one on turkey: http://foodallergies.about.com/od/signsandsymptoms/bb/turkeyallergies.htm

The turkey has a "solution" injected in it to enhance moistness and flavor. These solutions often have dairy, wheat, soy and/or corn.

If you google it, you can find a lot of information.

i love corn ~ plain corn, peaches & cream corn, corn on the cob, creamed corn...

Cows eat grass. But in the U.S. they get fed corn. Corn is cheap. Corn is subsidized. Most of the corn GM. The corn is good for fattening them up faster, and more quickly getting to the PROFIT. A steer used to be ready for slaughter after 4-5 years. Now it can take as little as 16 months.

The problem with feeding the cows corn is that they are not meant to eat. It is disturbing to the cow's digestive system, requiring it to need antibiotics.

The current way of raising cattle is also affecting the appearance of antibiotic resistant illnesses and a more common occurrence of E. Coli in the beef.

If you have never tasted it, grass fed beef tastes infinitely better. Grass fed, hormone and antibiotic free beef is just wonderful.

For not entirely the same reasons, the same applies to other meats. Turkey's don't taste like they used to because of how they are raised now. Today's turkeys get so fat that they can not even walk. But that's another discussion.

LOL!

You need to watch King Corn, then Food, Inc. They are on Netflix or your library should have them. (My 5 year old has seen King Corn 3 times. He describes it as "the movie about the guys with corn in their hair.)

I don't think the cow has much choice in the manner. The poor things are put in little tiny spots so they can't move (makes them fatter) and fed corn. They get hungry, they eat it.

Avoiding my sons allergies (anaphylaxis to tree nuts and sesame among other allergies) led us to make all our own food right down to the crackers. You get used to it. Eating out is impossible.

Corn, though, is a nightmare. It's in everything--right down to personal products and supplements. :grouphug: I'm sorry you're dealing with corn.

The section on corn in The Omnivore's Dilemma is also interesting.

As far as being allergic to the meat from an animal that was fed corn, it may be that some people will react to this and some not. But I'd be more concerned about dairy products from corn fed animals. There does seem to be good evidence that allergens can go from a mom's diet into her breast milk which then causes her allergic baby to react, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing would happen with cow's milk.

However, the corn oil that is supposedly added to the milk in this country (it's used as a vehicle to put the vitamins in) might be more of a difficulty.

:grouphug: I hope more sources open up for you and your family.

My oldest dd can't have gluten. This one (relatively small) change really opened my eyes and changed how we eat.

I am fortunate in that more and more restaurants and food companies are trying to reach the celiac market and have improved labelling.

One unexpected benefit was finding other gf people who are very supportive. Even though some of us do not getting along irl, we email information about new products, changes in processing, and local sales. We are as different as night and day but we have united in this area. :001_smile:

eta: Sorry, I meant to reply to the main thread. Of course, the hug and wishs for more sources applies to everyone.

Edited by Denise in Florida
wrong place in thread