Menu

Audio book suggestions for my 4 year old

JRmommy

When my son was that little, I recorded everything I read to him. Then he had MY voice to listen to. He listened to those tapes over and over and over, for hours. He listened as he was lying in bed not able to fall asleep. He listened in the car. He listened while he was playing. He could picture the pictures, since he had just seen them.

Of course, back then I used a cassette recorder. Now I would use a digital voice recorder. It would be even easier.

He's in 7th grade now, and we're listening to Dickens this year. I absolutely LOVE audio books.

When my son was that little, I recorded everything I read to him. Then he had MY voice to listen to. He listened to those tapes over and over and over, for hours. He listened as he was lying in bed not able to fall asleep. He listened in the car. He listened while he was playing. He could picture the pictures, since he had just seen them.

Of course, back then I used a cassette recorder. Now I would use a digital voice recorder. It would be even easier.

He's in 7th grade now, and we're listening to Dickens this year. I absolutely LOVE audio books.

What an absolutely great idea!!! I'll have to try that along with other suggestions.

Beatrix Potter's books and Thornton Burgess' bird and animal books free from librivox.org. DH had to read aloud Winnie the Pooh every night to my then 4-year old for at least 3 months. Now, at 5 we still listen to it on audio, just not every night.

Oh wow! This site is amazing! I was going to ask about free children's audio books to download, and here I go. Thanks!

In addition to the ones mentioned above, my kids like Frog and Toad and Mouse Tales by Arnold Lobel.

If you are Christians, your family might enjoy the Jesus Storybook Bible on CD. (It comes together with the book in a slipcase.) My kids are rapt every time we have it on in the car.

My 5-year old loves the following Jim Weiss (Greathall Productions) audio CDs: Tell Me A Story! Uncle Wiggley's Storybook, Animal Tales, American Tall Tales, Fairytale Favorites in Story & Song. Many of these are available through our public library.

But, his favorites right now are http://www.magicmaestromusic.com/index.html. We have the following: Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel, The Tortoise and the Hare and Peter and the Wolf. He would listen to them daily if his brothers consented! All of these CDs are part of the "Stories in Music" series. They are a combination of story narration set to symphonic music.

Can anyone tell the rest of us how to make digital audio recordings? I'd love to do this too!

You need one of these. You can get one at Radio Shack for around $30. I use ours constantly for homeschool. I record all our memory work, and ds listens to it daily. It's as easy to use as a microphone -- even easier than a cassette recorder.

Once you've made your recording, you can listen to it with the same device, or you can copy the file to your computer and listen through your computer speakers. You'll need a special cable to copy the files to your computer. Ask about the cable when you buy the recorder.

My ds(3) loves to listen to Beatrix Potter--if your ds loves winnie the pooh he's sure to love it too!!! He also adores the magic schoolbus audiobooks! I thought they may be over his head, and they may be at this point but he will listen contentedly to an entire story. :)

DEFINATELY check your library (online), ours has a HUGE selection of downloadable children's books. I put them right on my iPhone & he listens to them everyday. I set my phone up with speakers at night and me & the babies listen to our story being read to us, in the dark, everynight! They LOVE it (mama can snuggle them to sleep & they can still have their stories ;))...definately a wonderful resource to tap if it's available to you!!

GL! we LOVE our audiobooks! :)

My son loved the Scrambled States of America by Laurie Keller, it's cute, the Scholastic DVD really puts it together too, but it's a fun geography lesson. Eric Carle books are favorites too.

I'm not sure of the attention span, but I'd check the books on tape at the library. For that age, it could get so expensive to buy all those little books.

My family has enjoyed the following:

The Homschool Radio Show (.org or .com) has free stuff to download.

Your Story Hour CD series ~ great history and character building stories; reminds me of listening to the radio when I was a kid

The Secret Garden by Focus on the Family

Hank the Cow Dog series