Menu

Has anyone flown lately? W/kids?

We are flying in less than 2wks to Disney. Sure I could drive, others that will be there that same week are driving. Do we *want* to drive 2 days each way-NO! We fly because it is *vacation* and we *don't* want to drive after being in Disney for 8 days.

My SIL is flying us to her home for the new year, knock-on-wood, the entire family will be together for the first time in many, many years. It is a 2 day drive and we only have 5 days we will be up there. Why take 4 days out of a 5 day vacation to drive? No, we can't do more and SIL is paying for our flights :)

We love to fly and I have no problems using the scanner, my security is worth it.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We love to fly and I have no problems using the scanner, my security is worth it.

There's no good reason to believe that this will make you safer. There's no assurance that backscatter x-ray machines won't give your children skin cancer (link). And finally, your Fourth Amendment rights are being taken away. Depending on your religion, your First Amendment rights are being violated as well.

Still have no problems with it?

Thomas Jefferson said, "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."

We cannot casually accept these violations of our Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The Ben Franklin quote posted earlier applies as well:

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.

Edited by jplain

Airplanes are already the safest way to travel. Thousands of Americans die every year in car accidents and since 9/11 not one has died in a terrorist related incident on a domestic air flight. So how many lives will this save?

And all for that, tens of millions of Americans will subject themselves to this level of humiliation and invasion of privacy. I fly several times a year, but I'm seriously thinking of boycotting the industry until this insanity passes.

I wish more people would make a stand for our rights.

Let your voice be heard.

Write letters and emails to airlines, letting them know of the reason behind your decision to avoid flying.

Call and write to your elected representatives. Sample letters here.

If anyone you know goes through a screening and feels they were treated unprofessionally, encourage them file to complaints with the ACLU (link), EPIC (link), and with TSA (link to PDF).

Does anyone know what they do with babies? Or small children who are not able to stand alone by themselves? I am flying in Dec (bought tickets before all this junk came out) and am worried because I will have my 3 year old with sensory issues...who cannot stand still and will not let someone touch her "gina". And I will have my 17 month old baby in my arms which means I can't stand spread eagle and I will not be able to let go of either (dd took off last year at the airport thank goodness I was through the metal detector already). Anyone know if they have a policy for this?

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/11/14/video-tsa-body-searches-a-three-year-old-girl/

I haven't flown lately but this article was on my home page this morning. It has a video by a father as a tsa agent did a body search of his 3 yo.

That made me cry...I am terrified that this is going to happen when I fly with my 2 kids in Dec...except I am going to have the baby and the 3 year old....I guess this is the last plane flight we will be having unless something changes.

I am terrified that this is going to happen when I fly with my 2 kids in Dec...except I am going to have the baby and the 3 year old....

Murmer, try not to worry!

If you're traveling alone with 2 children, chances are they'll just send you through the metal detector. You can't hold a baby in the scanner, and I've read that TSA employees cannot hold your baby. As long as you don't set off the detector and aren't carrying large amounts of liquids, you'll probably get through without any pat downs.

This is assuming that there are still metal detectors available. Check this thread on another forum for information about the airports you'll be traveling through. You'll need the airports' 3-letter codes. In that thread there should be information on whether you can avoid the scanners by choosing certain checkpoints or specific lanes.

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/11/14/video-tsa-body-searches-a-three-year-old-girl/

I haven't flown lately but this article was on my home page this morning. It has a video by a father as a tsa agent did a body search of his 3 yo.

That was disturbing. I know that my 4yo (who has sensory issues with touch in particular) would be severely traumatized. I feel bad for that little girl. :(

Let your voice be heard.

Write letters and emails to airlines, letting them know of the reason behind your decision to avoid flying.

Call and write to your elected representatives. Sample letters here.

If anyone you know goes through a screening and feels they were treated unprofessionally, encourage them file to complaints with the ACLU (link), EPIC (link), and with TSA (link to PDF).

Yes, I agree with everything that you have posted. This practice is a tremendous infringement on our personal liberties and it must be stopped.

Also, record everything via your phone or camera. There needs to be hard documentation of any misdeeds or abuses.

If you're traveling alone with 2 children, chances are they'll just send you through the metal detector. You can't hold a baby in the scanner, and I've read that TSA employees cannot hold your baby.

Having a baby won't necessarily stop her from being searched. Another mom traveling alone with an infant posted on her blog that she was body searched. She was simply told she could not hold the baby during the search. Fortunately, she had a stroller she could open up and put him in.

If I were that child's mother, I'd have ended up in jail. :glare:

We need some common sense in this country, and we need it NOW.

Fourth ammendment rights don't apply in this instance. When you purchase an airline ticket, you do so VOLUNTARILY and with the understanding that you will be searched in order to board the aircraft.

TSA is not grabbing people outside of the airport security zone and doing a random and unwarranted search and seizure on their person. THAT would be a fourth ammendment violation.

I do understand that people may find the searches objectionable....but it is not a fourth ammendment issue as long as you are voluntarily purchasing tickets and choosing to travel by air.

Having a baby won't necessarily stop her from being searched. Another mom traveling alone with an infant posted on her blog that she was body searched. She was simply told she could not hold the baby during the search. Fortunately, she had a stroller she could open up and put him in.

If it is the mom I'm thinking of, they did send her through the metal detector. Her pat down is disturbing though, because it isn't clear that it fit TSA's standard operating procedure. She didn't alarm the metal detector, so she shouldn't have been subject to additional screening unless her boarding pass was marked SSSS. (I had that once. Annoying.) However, she was carrying large amounts of liquid (baby formula). That may have been what triggered her pat down.

I don't take strollers to the airport, and I wouldn't stand still while my toddler ran off into the gate area. If it was me, they'd probably have had to let me go without a pat down.

I still suspect that unless one encounters a mean-spirited TSO, if you're an obviously harried mom traveling without another adult, they're not going to go out of their way to make your life miserable.

If I were that child's mother, I'd have ended up in jail. :glare:

We need some common sense in this country, and we need it NOW.

:iagree: I cannot fly with my family, for this reason. Someone would end up badly hurt...

I changed careers in 2003 because my old job required a lot of flying, and I could see with my own eyes that Homeland Security, TSA etc. were more interested in political correctness (e.g. no profiling) than genuine security.

I will not subject myself to this nonsense. I can just stay home. I sincerely hope anyone that needs to fly can tolerate this...I cannot.

Fourth ammendment rights don't apply in this instance. When you purchase an airline ticket, you do so VOLUNTARILY and with the understanding that you will be searched in order to board the aircraft.

My ticketing contract is with the airline, not with TSA. And furthermore, when I bought that ticket, I was never informed of the loss of my Fourth Amendment rights. This is absolutely a Fourth Amendment issue.

For what it is worth, TSA seems to know the fine line they're walking. They claim they are not violating the Fourth Amendment because this is an administrative search, not a probable cause search. However, I am hopeful that a legal challenge will determine that these are NOT administrative searches. By definition, administrative searches must be "minimally intrusive," and it is fairly clear that these searches don't meet that criterion.

At least one lawsuit has been filed: link. Others will follow, I'm certain of it.

TSA is not grabbing people outside of the airport security zone and doing a random and unwarranted search and seizure on their person. THAT would be a fourth ammendment violation.

I do understand that people may find the searches objectionable....but it is not a fourth ammendment issue as long as you are voluntarily purchasing tickets and choosing to travel by air.

I am sorry but TSA is part of the Department of Homeland security. How is this not a 4th amendment violation? These searches are not up to debate by individual airlines or even airports. Hence, the government is conducting these searches without cause.

Because you have consented to the search. Read the fine print on your ticket and on your boarding pass.

I'm not saying that these searches aren't some sort of violation and couldn't be taken to court. I'm simply saying that if you're going to present it as a fourth ammendment violation....the case most likely won't get very far.

The Fourth ammendment has a lot of loopholes in it and airport security searches are a big one.

Because you have consented to the search. Read the fine print on your ticket and on your boarding pass.
So, Diane, anything goes? Really? When they decide that random body cavity searches will be necessary, you'll argue that it's covered by the fine print, so the Fourth Amendment can't be used to challenge it?

The fine print does NOT say that I will be subjected to unreasonable or invasive searches. Show me where it does.

They need probable cause to conduct this type of search, period.

The Fourth ammendment has a lot of loopholes in it and airport security searches are a big one.
No argument from me here, though the loopholes aren't actually part of the amendment. These are flaws in the interpretation of the Fourth Amendment. They need to be closed via legal action, because they're being abused. Edited by jplain

So, Diane, anything goes? Really? When they decide that random body cavity searches will be necessary, you'll argue that it's covered by the fine print, so the Fourth Amendment can't be used to challenge it?

The fine print does NOT say that I will be subjected to unreasonable or invasive searches. Show me where it does.

They need probable cause to conduct this type of search, period.

No argument from me here, though the loopholes aren't actually part of the amendment. These are flaws in the interpretation of the Fourth Amendment. They need to be closed via legal action, because they're being abused.

Nope, cavity searches are technically considered unreasonable....unless they have "reasonable suspicion" to do so in an airport security setting.

Please understand....I'm not defending this. I'm simply saying you can drive a truck through the loopholes the courts have given fourth ammendment interpretation, and legally speaking, it might be better to attack these searches on some other basis, because they (the powers that be in the government and the judiciary) most likely will not agree with your viewpoint. That's all. Not siding with TSA.

Edited by DianeW88

Nope, cavity searches are technically considered unreasonable....unless they have "reasonable suspicion" to do so in an airport security setting.

Please understand....I'm not defending this. I'm simply saying you can drive a truck through the loopholes the courts have given fourth ammendment interpretation, and legally speaking, it might be better to attack these searches on some other basis, because they (the powers that be in the government and the judiciary) most likely will not agree with your viewpoint. That's all. Not siding with TSA.

So refusing to be exposed to questionable amounts of radiation or what many consider to be having naked pictures taken of your person is now reasonable suspicion?

Serious question here: how can you so confidently state what is and is not reasonable? What makes you so sure that virtual strip searches and an open palm and fingers in my crotch are reasonable? Handling my breasts is reasonable, but cavity searches are unreasonable? I'm not seeing a clear line here. I'm seeing a slippery slope.

I consider touching my crotch and breasts to be unreasonable without probable cause. I also consider a virtual strip search to be unreasonable in the absence of probable cause. Buying a plane ticket does not constitute probable cause.

I hardly think I'm alone in these opinions. In fact, I'd bet that anyone who understands and believes in our Constitution will agree with me too.

I'm reminded of the words to a song I learned in grade school :tongue_smilie::

Freedom is a word that we hear today,

But if we'd like to keep it there's a price to pay.

Each generation has to win it anew,

'Cause it's not something handed down to you.

I thought the song was melodramatic at the time. Now I'm not so sure. I think this is one of those "win it anew" times. Edited by jplain

There are several news articles about what the pat downs are like and I've read one about a person who refused both the scanners and pat down ie decided to go home only after they questioned and released him (and he was a pilot). Anyway be informed in your choices.

Just recently flew (and airport metal detector went off on me) so I had to go thru the new TSA pat down procedure. It was not that big of a deal, IMO. It was female for female. And she was polite and told me in DETAIL what she was about to do. (I barely felt anything to be honest. And I was on my period with wearing thick pads too.) Be prepared to have hands on you in the waistband, bra elastic band area, neckline, pant inseams, etc. No groin region or handling of breasts -- at all. They test the gloves after for residue and then you are released. It was quick, tho'.

Edited by tex-mex

It is something that is being implemented so not all the airports have them yet and the ones that do so far are only picking a sampling of people to go through them at least that is my understanding from what I have read about it.

It is random for now -- one TSA offical told me it is not fully in all airports yet. If your airport has it, usually they profile you to be chosen to go thru the scanner. Hubby went thru one on a flight. He said mostly males were chosen -- but one TSA official did choose a blonde (i.e. attractive) 20 yr old gal to go thru the scanner. Some of the passengers like my hubby were upset to see her have to be scanned and it was obvious why. ;) Hubby said if he had a young daughter, they both would be driving and not flying. He did say no older mature ladies were chosen. (LOL) Hmmmmm? :D

Edited by tex-mex

At checkpoints with both scanners and metal detectors, it is supposed to be random. Some travelers have protested that it sure doesn't *look* random, with teenage girls and women making up a higher than expected percentage of those being waved through the scanners. Others are concerned that attractive young women are disproportionately selected to go through the scanners. A disturbing second-hand account can be found here: TSO saying "heads up, got a cutie for you." The cutie was an 18yo flying with her pilot father. He is reportedly taking his complaint to his employer.

My point exactly. If you are a young female, hottie with implants, or suspicious male -- then TSA will screen you.

It is random for now -- one TSA offical told me it is not fully in all airports yet. If your airport has it, usually they profile you to be chosen to go thru the scanner. Hubby went thru one on a flight. He said mostly males were chosen -- but one TSA official did choose a blonde (i.e. attractive) 20 yr old gal to go thru the scanner. Some of the passengers like my hubby were upset to see her have to be scanned and it was obvious why. ;) Hubby said if he had a young daughter, they both would be driving and not flying. He did say no older mature ladies were chosen. (LOL) Hmmmmm? :D

Disgusting. So because I'm fat and middle aged I should just quit worrying about it? And odds are that because my kids are with their fat and middle aged mom and my dd is not yet a young hottie, no worries?

Now I'm even more angry!:cursing:

Disgusting. So because I'm fat and middle aged I should just quit worrying about it? And odds are that because my kids are with their fat and middle aged mom and my dd is not yet a young hottie, no worries?

Now I'm even more angry!:cursing:

And honestly... who's more likely to hide stuff on their person? The thin well endowed girl or the overweight woman? I mean, I have WAY more places to conceal things than a swimsuit model :lol:

Don't get mad, laugh and think that you could bring toothpaste on board.

Serious question here: how can you so confidently state what is and is not reasonable? What makes you so sure that virtual strip searches and an open palm and fingers in my crotch are reasonable? Handling my breasts is reasonable, but cavity searches are unreasonable? I'm not seeing a clear line here. I'm seeing a slippery slope.

I consider touching my crotch and breasts to be unreasonable without probable cause. I also consider a virtual strip search to be unreasonable in the absence of probable cause. Buying a plane ticket does not constitute probable cause.

I hardly think I'm alone in these opinions. In fact, I'd bet that anyone who understands and believes in our Constitution will agree with me too.

I'm reminded of the words to a song I learned in grade school :tongue_smilie::

I thought the song was melodramatic at the time. Now I'm not so sure. I think this is one of those "win it anew" times.

*I* am not stating what is reasonable or not reasonable. I would consider most of those searches unreasonable. All I'm saying is that the law is so broad (or the interpretation thereof), that at the moment, TSA can get away with it. And, buying a plane ticket does not constitute probable cause....it constitutes implied consent, in the eyes of Homeland Security. Technically, air travel is voluntary. Although, my opinion would be that in the interest of time, sometimes I don't feel I have another travel choice available.

"Where society's need is great and no other effective means of meeting the need is available, and intrusion on people's privacy is minimal, checkpoints toward that end may briefly detain motorists. In Michigan v. Sitz 496 U.S. 444 (1990), the Supreme Court allowed discretionless sobriety checkpoints. In United States v. Martinez-Fuerte 428 U.S. 543 (1976), the Supreme Court allowed discretionless immigration checkpoints. In Delaware v. Prouse 440 U.S. 648 (1979), the Supreme Court allowed discretionless checkpoints for driver's licenses and registration. In Illinois v. Lidster 540 U.S. 419 (2004), the Supreme Court allowed focused informational checkpoints. However, discretionary checkpoints or general crime-fighting checkpoints are not allowed.[29]

Another exception is at borders and ports of entry.

Roadblocks may be used to capture a particular fleeing criminal or locate a bomb.[30]"

Exigent circumstance

Main article: Exigent circumstances

There are also "exigent circumstances" exceptions to the warrant requirement. Exigent circumstances arise when the law enforcement officers have reasonable grounds to believe that there is an immediate need to protect their lives, the lives of others, their property, or that of others, the search is not motivated by an intent to arrest and seize evidence, and there is some reasonable basis, to associate an emergency with the area or place to be searched.[66]

I believe this is what TSA and Homeland Security is using to justify the airport searches. So, I was only saying that on fourth ammendment grounds, it might be hard to overturn it. It'll be interesting to see what does happen, as my entire family is flying to Disney World in March.

Edited by DianeW88

And honestly... who's more likely to hide stuff on their person? The thin well endowed girl or the overweight woman? I mean, I have WAY more places to conceal things than a swimsuit model :lol:

Don't get mad, laugh and think that you could bring toothpaste on board.

:lol::lol::lol:

That is funny... reminds me of why the ficticious Mrs. Pollifax worked for the CIA due to the fact that no one took an old grey haired woman seriously. ;) Heck, with my out of shape body, I can smuggle in an electric toothbrush and toothpaste. LOL

That is funny... reminds me of why the ficticious Mrs. Pollifax working for the CIA due to the fact that no one took an old grey haired woman seriously. ;) Heck, with my out of shape body, I can smuggle in an electric toothbrush and toothpaste. LOL

:smilielol5: Really, my belly button alone....

So, I was only saying that on fourth ammendment grounds, it might be hard to overturn it. It'll be interesting to see what does happen, as my entire family is flying to Disney World in March.

And what I'm saying is that interpretation and justification don't matter. I still believe these actions are unconstitutional, and I hope the courts get around to testing this very soon. If this has to be the test case that forces a re-analysis of Fourth Amendment interpretation, so be it.

And what I'm saying is that this type of justification and interpretation is still unconstitutional.

If this has to be the test case that forces a re-analysis of Fourth Amendment interpretation, so be it.

Yep, I would love to see that play out in court. I actually think we're on the same side here....just coming at it from two different directions. I truly hope that the test cases have VERY well prepared attorneys who know what they're doing....because the government certainly will. :glare:

Besides my major concerns over this invasion of our rights, I seriously doubt that nude body scanners help make us more secure than metal detectors. They will probably make us less secure. Naked body scanners will distract many TSA agents from doing their jobs. They're job isn't to see beautiful girls naked--they're suppose to be looking for weapons! If they're minds are occupied with the scan of a beautiful man or woman who just walked through the scanner, they might miss a fully armed terrorist.

If my family ever decides to travel by air again, we might wear our swimsuits and disrobe when we get to security. At least a swimsuit is more dignified than naked. If they can see almost everything, maybe they won't put their hands all over my children when we opt out of the naked body scan.

Or if you simply irritate them. Then they have carte blanche to grope away.

Yup, rule #1 is not to irritate the TSA official. I told my son that immediately when he learned of the new rules. We fly regularly. Son fits the profile for screening too with his long hair and big burly ethnic build. Can anyone say, Police State? This is what it is turning into, folks.

Besides my major concerns over this invasion of our rights, I seriously doubt that nude body scanners help make us more secure than metal detectors. They will probably make us less secure. Naked body scanners will distract many TSA agents from doing their jobs. They're job isn't to see beautiful girls naked--they're suppose to be looking for weapons! If they're minds are occupied with the scan of a beautiful man or woman who just walked through the scanner, they might miss a fully armed terrorist.

If my family ever decides to travel by air again, we might wear our swimsuits and disrobe when we get to security. At least a swimsuit is more dignified than naked. If they can see almost everything, maybe they won't put their hands all over my children when we opt out of the naked body scan.

There's an idea....

So refusing to be exposed to questionable amounts of radiation or what many consider to be having naked pictures taken of your person is now reasonable suspicion?

I don't really have anything to add to this, you guys have it covered. I just wanted to say :iagree:

As adults, we can choose to be groped in that situation, but I can't in good conscience put my kids in that position/make that choice for them. We've been coming to this decision for awhile, but this is the last straw for me. Doesn't look like we'll be flying for a long time.

(I think you mean opposite-gender patdown.)

I don't understand how all this groping works for those wearing sanitary pads, diapers, and adult incontinence products, not to mention padded butt-enhancing panties ("booty pop" type) or pushup bras.

So, if I have my period when I'm patted down, do I then have to undress and show "proof" that it's really a used pad? :tongue_smilie:

I am never flying. Never.

That is funny... reminds me of why the ficticious Mrs. Pollifax worked for the CIA due to the fact that no one took an old grey haired woman seriously. ;) Heck, with my out of shape body, I can smuggle in an electric toothbrush and toothpaste. LOL

I was once (several years before 2001) in an airplane and a (young, attractive) male employee pulled a (young, attractive) lady aside, who was with her friend, and asked to search her bag. This was at the gate, so I had a nice view of the whole thing. Anyway before he began he asked if there was anything he should know. She giggled and said she had a vibrator in there. He laughed, too, thinking she was joking. "I'm serious," she finally had to say. Cough.

I was recently "profiled" on returning to my country. I was assumed to be a person with national origins in a COMPLETELY different ethnic group and appearance. And I mean, COMPLETELY. There is no way I could, by any stretch of the imagination, be from this country. I guess it was politically expedient. Or something. After a somewhat interesting search, I was on my way. But I was highly unimpressed AND offended. It would help if people knew what people from certain countries actually look like.

Edited by stripe

Or if you simply irritate them. Then they have carte blanche to grope away.

:iagree: This exactly. TSA has the power to intimidate; some have done so. Not all, but some.

It will be interesting to see what stance Constitutional lawyers such as Charles Fried will take. I have a feeling he will not be in favor of some of the goings-on.