Menu

World Vision Gift Catalog - Anyone?

I received this catalog in the mail yesterday, and I was looking through it tonight. You can "buy" a farm animal or feed or resources etc. for a child/family in need. DH and I have talked about using some of our X-Mas money for charity and I really like the idea behind this. I think it would be easy for the kids to understand why they are getting fewer presents if we could say something like "oh, we bought a goat to help a family in XYZ country instead of another plastic toy for you", rather than telling them we donated money (too abstract for them at this age).

Does anyone have experience with this charity? My husband checked into it and it looks legit, but as it is a Christian charity and we are not Christian, he thought I should ask the Hive and see if anyone knew about it. DH really wants to sponsor a child and even found one who is the same age as our eldest (I guess you can search on the site), but it is out of our budget right now.

We have a relative who sends all the nieces and nephews a gift certificate to the World Vision catalog each year so they can each select a gift to send to another country. Our dc really enjoyed getting to look through the catalog and decide what to spend the money on. Sometimes they would each select their own item, and other years they would put their money together and get something larger. It allowed them to consider that not all children in the world have food or access to school supplies or clean water. It was eye opening for them, and they liked that they were able to do something to help. At first they didn't realize the difference that a chicken or pig could make, but once they realized it, they changed how they thought about other countries. The countries became more than just a name and shape on a map and became a place where children could use a pig or goat or whatever. I think it is a great idea.

We sponsor a little girl in Zambia, Africa through World Vision and I can attest to the fact that they do an excellent job reaching out to help people. They care about the whole person and the whole village, truly being the hands of Jesus to people that are in real need.

God bless you for considering this option during the Christmas season, and possibly sponsoring a child. I don't think you would ever regret it.

Blessings,

Lucinda

World Vision is great in what they do, but yes, they are a Christian organization and it's at the core of their philosophy.

If you want a non-religious charity, I second Heifer International. A well-respected organization that does a ton of good around the world.

We are Christians, but also support Heifer International. I think this is a great organization.

We take the proceeds from the first piglet sold out of each litter, and use the money to purchase an animal (animals) from Heifer. I always let my boys pick what they would like to purchase - sometimes it's a flock of chicks, sometimes a pig. This last time they decided to save up for a goat. The boys also like to look at the magazine that provides stories about how people have been personally blessed by the animals they have received. I think donating to organizations like this is a great way for kids to experience firsthand the joy of helping someone else in need.

Krista

We got the WV catalog, too, and I'm kind of intrigued. The BBB reports that the chief executive's compensation is nearly half a million dollars, which absolutely rubs me the wrong way. Heifer International reports less than $300k for the CEO. Better, but not all THAT much!

That part probably squigs me out more than any religious component. Still, I love the concept, and I know the kids could come up with some of their own money to contribute. I'm still mulling it over.

We also sponsor a child in Zambia with the assistance of World Vision. They are an incredible organization. They send us updates and keep us informed about our child and his village. I am EXTREMELY confident that the money I am sending is being used to help these people in every way they need help. From food to education. I would not hesitate to go through World Vision to send a Christmas gift. You will not be disappointed. As far as it being a Christian organization... I don't think that matters if you are looking to help a family get a goat or a cow or whatever animal. They will get the animal and you will have used a company that got the most for them from what you donated! Good Luck.

We got the WV catalog, too, and I'm kind of intrigued. The BBB reports that the chief executive's compensation is nearly half a million dollars, which absolutely rubs me the wrong way. Heifer International reports less than $300k for the CEO. Better, but not all THAT much!

Thanks for mentioning this. This matters to me too, and I think $300k is about as low as I have seen for any major charity organization!

I think it would be easy for the kids to understand why they are getting fewer presents if we could say something like "oh, we bought a goat to help a family in XYZ country instead of another plastic toy for you", rather than telling them we donated money (too abstract for them at this age).

Agreed, and I would take it a step further and have them look through the catalog with you and help select the gift. I do this with my daughter, because I want her to have an active role in the whole process.

We buy from the World Vision catalog every year. My children really look forward to it, because it is so tangible. All of our recipients were thrilled with the gifts we choose. They send you a card to give each person with what their specific gift is. My kids have already selected what they want to give this year and my ds is saving to buy something for himself. I think in January that we will sponsor a child, it seems like something that would have great meaning with my kids.

I am actually reading the book written by the CEO from World Vision, Richard Stearns. The book is "The Hole in Our Gospel", I can not recommend it highly enough. It is definitely life changing!!! Yes, he does make more than any of us, but he also walked away from a job where he would be making $25-50 million. I know we will never understand why CEO's make what they do, but I do not think much of the CEO of the largest charitable organization making around $375,000 managing a billion dollar organization. At least he is making differences in people's lives. And I know that he donated all proceeds from this book to World Vision, which is way more than his salary.

But anyway...I definitely recommend the catalog!

If you any are interested in giving to support a child in a foreign country, but through an organization that does not take very much of that money for operational expenses and in which we personally know some of the people that work there and what they make, then this may be the place you might want to consider donating to for Christmas.

http://www.childcareministries.org/

There is no CEO, the administrator makes less than my husband, the director of the department earns about $60,000.00 a year and very few benefits, and her personal assistant gets about $40,000.00. The whole administration is run off a shoe string budget so the kids get a huge portion of the money in comparison to many of these types of organizations.

I do think that you can purchase specific types of items for Christmas for the child you support or just make a one time donation to the ministry but I don't think they publish a catalog for this purpose. We supported a little boy for several years until he graduated high school. He was able to go to college in his country's capitol city on scholarship and we have since lost track of him.

Faith

Yes, he does make more than any of us, but he also walked away from a job where he would be making $25-50 million. I know we will never understand why CEO's make what they do, but I do not think much of the CEO of the largest charitable organization making around $375,000 managing a billion dollar organization. At least he is making differences in people's lives. And I know that he donated all proceeds from this book to World Vision, which is way more than his salary.

Just to be clear, I don't mean to imply that anyone should necessarily be working for free. I just think it's a point to be considered when one is deciding where to make charitable gifts.

For instance, if I knew of a local family who could REALLY benefit from having chickens, I could buy a bigger flock much cheaper and cut out the middle man completely, yielding greater results. Since I don't, these charities may be the next best thing.

It gives children a way to help others in a meaningful way. One son is working on extra chores to give a family 3 ducks and the other is working on extra chores to give a child a promise pack (backpack with supplies). They each picked out what they wanted to give. I was so happy to find the site that approached giving in a child-friendly way that didn't involve a monthly commitment. It fit in well with out study of the Plight of Children around the World.

I am so thankful to have received so many replies. I was almost a little worried that it was some obscure charity that no one would have heard of - guess I was wrong :001_smile:.

My only concern with it being a Christian group was that I had heard some Christian charities would not give aid to people unless they themselves were active Christians and that makes me uncomfortable - I want to help a person no matter their religion. DH is really interested in supporting an individual child, but that may have to wait until we can work it into the budget.

Heifer International looks really interesting, as well.

I talked to my eldest two this morning, and they are all for the idea. Actually, my DS7 went to the pantry to gather supplies for the kids who had no food (in his own words he said - "we really don't need three boxes of gluten-free cereal, mummy, we can send one to a hungry kid"). This may work out to be a great thing for everyone.

I just want to point out that World Vision doesn't try to evangelize everyone. They do provide the gospel to those who want to hear it but conversion is not their top priority. Also, they are very careful in the materials they send to not offend anyone who believes differently. I have sponsored a little girl in Ethiopia through World Vision for several years, and she is Muslim, not Christian. I think they are a wonderful organization, as is Heifer International. My kids adore going through the gift catalogs to find something to donate.

My only concern with it being a Christian group was that I had heard some Christian charities would not give aid to people unless they themselves were active Christians and that makes me uncomfortable - I want to help a person no matter their religion.

I don't know where you heard this from, but it wouldn't pertain to World Vision or any of the major organizations like it (Compassion, etc.) Even more minor ones run by most organizations. I'm sure there have been incidences in the past where it may have happened, but it's certainly NOT common.

I am actually reading the book written by the CEO from World Vision, Richard Stearns. The book is "The Hole in Our Gospel", I can not recommend it highly enough. It is definitely life changing!!! Yes, he does make more than any of us, but he also walked away from a job where he would be making $25-50 million. I know we will never understand why CEO's make what they do, but I do not think much of the CEO of the largest charitable organization making around $375,000 managing a billion dollar organization. At least he is making differences in people's lives. And I know that he donated all proceeds from this book to World Vision, which is way more than his salary.

I don't think his salary is unreasonable. And I am impressed with the percentage of donations that actually goes towards the program (as per the BBB). I think either of these organizations is probably a really good choice.

Thanks for mentioning the book. It looks really interesting.

Sigh, I let DS7 look through the catalog and he is on a goat kick right now because we received some books about goats and raising goats in a box of books we were given, so at first he wanted to buy a goat for someone until he spotted the 28 Farm Animal deal and now he wants to do that, and buy one for himself. He has good intentions, but no $$$ sense.

Our youth group used to sponsor a child with World Vision. I really like the company. I love that give things to families to improve their lives. Rather than just giving them food for a few meals, they help the family plant a pineapple farm or something to support them. I plan to buy some gift from our family, but have not decided which one yet.

I just want to point out that World Vision doesn't try to evangelize everyone. They do provide the gospel to those who want to hear it but conversion is not their top priority. Also, they are very careful in the materials they send to not offend anyone who believes differently. I have sponsored a little girl in Ethiopia through World Vision for several years, and she is Muslim, not Christian. I think they are a wonderful organization, as is Heifer International. My kids adore going through the gift catalogs to find something to donate.

We have sponsored children through WV for over 15 years and one of our current children is a Muslim in Ethiopia as well. Sometimes WV provides special cards for us to sign and they are different depending on whether they are Christian or not. This was the case with children we sponsored in Bangladesh and Indonesia.

We've sponsored a child for 5 or 6 years now through World Vision and get a yearly report, pictures, and letters- so I know it is legit. Though we get the gift catalog, we've never put it to use (though each year I say I'm going to).

Here's another option for those of you seeking to sponsor a child. GAP Missions is organized by a missionary couple/friends of ours who, since they are supported by churches, do not make a profit. Their primary mission right now is building a much needed orphanage in the Ivory Coast. You can keep updated on the progress through pics online and see the children that are up for sponsorship. My husband has been to work on the orphanage a couple of times in the last few years. The George's are wonderful Christian people who have a heart for the Ivory Coast. Please go check it out.

http://www.gapmissions.com

• 4 weeks later...

I hope it is okay that I am bringing this thread back up...

I got my WV gift catalog in the mail today, and the girls are really wanting to donate something. We do things for local charities every year, but so far never anything like this. I wanted to check it out; so I googled and found some good things, and some not so good things.

How do you know what to believe? Is it a scam or not? I'm glad that I searched through the forum here so that I could read that some of you have had good experiences with WV, but I still wonder what you all think about the reports of it being a scam... :confused:

And thank you to those of you who suggested a possible alternative. That would have been my next question. :)

World Vision is legit. We've sponsored for 12 years and have bought my in-laws gifts from the catalogue for about 8 years. Highly recommend it. If it helps any, my dh is an auditor and will not contribute to charities whose financial records do not pass his VERY high standards. He has investigated these guys and finds them trustworthy, transparent, and very good stewards to what is entrusted to them. Same goes for Compassion.

Look at an independent evaluator and decide based on whatever objective criteria you set - not stories.

Here is the best resource I know; would love to hear if there are other similar review sites.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Hah, I was going to make this exact recommendation! This website has been around for several years.