Menu

Homemade vanilla extract and vodka

I finally ran out of my homemade vanilla extract that I had made 2 years ago. The previous batch I had made was with Ketel One because I had bought it at Sam's club - a huge bottle for a great price. But alas, we are no longer Sam's members. So I'm seeing these other brands the other day that are the same price I paid for the Ketel One and half the size. I'm also seeing some brands that are super cheap - like less than $10 for a good sized bottle.

If I'm using the vodka specifically for the vanilla extract, does it matter whether it's a premium vodka or not? Even if I were to buy the Ketel One again, it makes me kinda choke because it's the same price I bought it for at Sam's, but half the size. But if it's worth having a good brand like that, then I will do it.

What sayeth the Hive on this?

I have no idea. I always buy my vanilla extract from A C Moore (craft store) with a 40 % or 50 % off coupon.

I never realized you could make your own!

I searched and found this. Interesting.

http://www.travelerslunchbox.com/journal/2007/10/9/project-vanilla.html

AND

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/baking-products/sources-vanilla-beans-in-bulk-033694

If you make a lot of vanilla products that you don't cook, you may want a mid grade, but it is just personal choice. Personally, I love fresh whipped cream but even that only needs a splash so I can imagine that it would make much difference.

Interesting note: Cooks illustrated has done taste tests and they find that people really can't tell the difference in cheap vanilla extract and expensive pure vanilla. I like personally like pure vanilla because it is more natural but the CI article is very interesting if you have a chance to Google it.

I have never heard of making your own vanilla extract, please can you share how? I would love to know! TIA

It's so easy!! Buy some vodka and some vanilla beans. Cut the beans open and put them in the vodka bottle. Let it sit for a couple months in a dark place. Viola! Vanilla!

Warning!! I made this for relatives for Christmas one year. Now every time they visit, they bring their empty vanilla bottles for refills!! So, if you make it, make extras!

I always use the cheapest I can get..except once I used Finlandia...I, personally could not tell any difference. I was shocked last time I bought vanilla beans! They had doubled in price, but that was awhile ago. I usally make enough vanilla to last 3 to 5 years. I have about 6 months worth left so i guess it is about time to start looking for those vanilla beans again...and maybe a sale on vodka!

You know Janna, you just have a liiiitle more time to go here with this pregnancy. Maybe it'd be best if you bought the cheap stuff. That way, you'll have more reason not to consume it when you just can't take it any longer!!!! ;):D;)

Seriously, I'd buy cheap. The quantities of vanilla we generally use in cooking is so small, I believe anyone would be hard pressed to discern the difference.

Fun story -- I made a batch of the stuff just before Christmas of 2006. Set it under a table to steep because I started it too late to serve as Christmas gifts for that year. "Well," I reasoned, "There's always next Christmas." Four months later we moved and the steeping vanillka got packed into a box and put in storage. I thought...we thought...we'd only have things in storage for half a year. And, here we are, a full year later. Wonder if that stuff gets better with age, or if I'm going to have vanilla that will put hair on my chest? :tongue_smilie:

I buy the cheapest vodka they sell for my homemade vanilla extract. I have had good results with the extract I produce, but I don't know how it would compare.

Jo

I'm reminded of you buying vodka (were you pregnant and with the kids, or just with the kids?) for extract and I giggle. :lol:

We are homebrewers, so to make vanilla (and lemon, lime, orange, almond, maple, etc.) extracts, we use homemade moonshine. Seriously, it is dreadful to drink, but it makes fantastic extract.

(We use a $5 envelope of SuperYeast, water, a bunch of sugar, and a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a $3 air lock to make the liquour.)

So I would think that you could use any ol' super cheap, comes in plastic vodka and it would work fine. Think like Popov or Kamchatka or 5 O'Clock, or that one with the rooster on the bottle.

Ketel One is the good stuff, save that for the holidays!

(I'm not a drunk, I swear- in fact, I'm currently pregnant, and therefore completely alcohol free- but I used to tend bar, so I know more about brands of booze than anyone needs to.)

We are homebrewers, so to make vanilla (and lemon, lime, orange, almond, maple, etc.) extracts, we use homemade moonshine. Seriously, it is dreadful to drink, but it makes fantastic extract.

(We use a $5 envelope of SuperYeast, water, a bunch of sugar, and a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a $3 air lock to make the liquour.)

So I would think that you could use any ol' super cheap, comes in plastic vodka and it would work fine. Think like Popov or Kamchatka or 5 O'Clock, or that one with the rooster on the bottle.

Ketel One is the good stuff, save that for the holidays!

(I'm not a drunk, I swear- in fact, I'm currently pregnant, and therefore completely alcohol free- but I used to tend bar, so I know more about brands of booze than anyone needs to.)

More details, please. How do you make the other extracts? A whole lemon, cut up? Just the rind? And I can't imagine the almond.

And while we're on the subject, I've been wondering... we're not supposed to have alcohol on campus housing. Do ya think vodka counts? Because I'd really like to make vanilla & the air freshener somebody mentioned a while back! (Maybe I could just explain...)

Otoh, if I made the "moonshine" myself...all of those ingredients are allowed. :lol:

(Can you tell silly rules bother me? :D)

• 6 months later...
And while we're on the subject, I've been wondering... we're not supposed to have alcohol on campus housing. Do ya think vodka counts? Because I'd really like to make vanilla & the air freshener somebody mentioned a while back! (Maybe I could just explain...)

Otoh, if I made the "moonshine" myself...all of those ingredients are allowed. :lol:

did you get more info on the air freshner & the other extracts?

I'd like to try it.

I've got soap curing now for christmas but I'd love to get some other things going to keep on hand for gifts.

thanks

I spend my money on good vanilla beans and use cheap old vodka.;)

Katherine, You should come over for a cup of my homemade vanilla yogurt. LoL.. It is to die for. Be sure to bring your OJ.

I am definitely the wrong person to ask. I accidentally discovered that my homemade vanilla vodka tasted FABULOUS in orange juice and gave me a wonderful night's sleep; so I ended up drinking it all myself over a period of a few months. It was the cheap stuff, too.

:leaving:

Real vanilla extract from the store is also alcoholic. If you put the beans in the vodka then you have vanilla beginning. Unless you plan on sipping it for other purposes than baking (LOL) then I think you are probably just fine! I will tell you that I did try it just to see - once it was all the way vanilla - and let me tell you it was GROSS on its own. As vanilla it is wonderful - and we love it in everything from hot sugar milk to cookies, but on its own - dreadful. (The same can be said for vanilla from the store too. :))

I spend my money on good vanilla beans and use cheap old vodka.;)

I do the same thing! I buy the pricey (and organic) vanilla beans, but just use whatever vodka I can find for the alcohol (btw, I've heard rum works too, but I've never tried it). I've experimented with some more expensive vodkas but found no discernible difference. YMMV...

I use 6 vanilla beans in 750 ml of cheap vodka. You can slit the beans lengthwise and scrape out the insides and everything goes into the vodka. Let it sit in a dark place for 2-3 months. Shake it up once in a while.

I like to write on the bottle what it cost me. The last one I made says $7 vodka + $23 beans = $30. Then I compare it what it would cost to buy the pure vanilla at the grocery store and feel oh so bright. :D