Menu

Christians with anxiety- please help

I have not suffered with anxiety all my life, I have three kids and after the birth of them I felt anxious, coming and going. Never took anything due to nursing and just took it a day at a time and just attirubted it to hormones, etc. I weaned my last almost a year ago, and felt good for awhile and now I feel full of anxiety. I hate the feeling. I am a Christian, I put my faith and hope in Jesus, I know that the heavenly father is ultimately in charge

no matter what happens. But the physical symptoms are overwhelming. I swear I am going to fall over dead or suddenly go blind (I know I am ridicoulos). Driving is awful now. I can handle streets I am familiar with but seriously feel like I am going to pass out from stress on new streets/ highway. I have a lot of brain fog and obese over stupid stuff, like having a horrible disease. I asked my obgyn to test my thyroid, hormone levels, vit d level, etc... all normal. So I guess I have just turned into an anxeity ridden person. Again, I have not always been like this, just since the birth of kids. I do a fairly good job of keeping it to myself. I excercise about 3 times a week, I know I need to increase this and recently started taken a good quality vitamin and high quality fish oil. Ughhhhh. I just HATE feeling awful all the time.

If anyone can share experiences, things that help you, if you take medication and if it helps or just causes awful side effects.

I have the same problem. Not quite as bad, but the problem is still there. Mine started after I had my 5th child and I was weaning her from breastfeeding. Mine seems to stem around my periods, so I believe mine is from hormones. I had horrible health problems after my 6th and can I say I feel PARANOID. I always feel like there is something wrong with me. Every little twinge gets me anxious. I worry about everything. I too take no meds. It gets pretty hard. I feel like I am always concentrating on some kind of worry, believe me there is always one, and if there isn't, I find one. I hate feeling like this, especially when I know I am really fine. Just wanted you to know that you are definitely not alone. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.:grouphug:

Erin

:bigear: I'm in the same boat after my latest baby. I'm nursing, so no meds right now.

Driving is *horrible!* I saw a pretty bad wreck a couple weeks ago (as in saw it happen) and it made an already bad situation worse.

I will say that taking time to take care of myself and making sure I pray/read my Bible and NOT isolate myself from others has helped a lot.

Sorry I don't have any definitive advice, just wanted you to know you're not alone! :grouphug:

I swear I am going to fall over dead or suddenly go blind (I know I am ridicoulos). Driving is awful now. I can handle streets I am familiar with but seriously feel like I am going to pass out from stress on new streets/ highway. I have a lot of brain fog and obese over stupid stuff, like having a horrible disease. I asked my obgyn to test my thyroid, hormone levels, vit d level, etc... all normal. So I guess I have just turned into an anxeity ridden person. Again, I have not always been like this, just since the birth of kids. I do a fairly good job of keeping it to myself. I excercise about 3 times a week, I know I need to increase this and recently started taken a good quality vitamin and high quality fish oil. Ughhhhh. I just HATE feeling awful all the time.

If anyone can share experiences, things that help you, if you take medication and if it helps or just causes awful side effects.

I overcame most of my anxiety issues (I was hospitalized and medicated for PPD, I had panic attacks and bouts of depressions, etc.) when I came to faith, but the one thing that stayed was the medical issues. I have panic attacks in which I am positive I am going to fall over dead right that second. It has really been just a matter of learning to talk myself "down." I remind myself of the other times when I've felt the exact same way, and I did not die. I also think about how you are usually sick for a while before you die, and it is very uncommon to just drop dead. I have also convinced myself that if I drink a bottle/ big glass of water, I will feel better, so I do that and then tell myself that I feel better.

I had been doing really, really well, but then I had an inner ear infection that caused dizziness and vomiting and made me so disoriented that I thought I was dying, and I had to go to the hospital for the dizziness (I couldn't see straight or stand up from the ear thing.) Since then, I have had to talk myself down quite often.

I know it must be hormonal somehow, because it is much worse right before and especially right after my time. I can usually talk myself down now, and if I can't, I go to bed. I'm pretty much always tired, so I can fall asleep for the night or take a nap. I say a prayer and go to sleep, because then I don't feel bad, and I wake up fine.

I am so sorry! I am glad that you got your blood tested... that would be my first rec. I battled depression a while. I had my first total panic attach earlier this year during a very stressful time. I have a counselor and we have done a lot of talk therapy this year... we are moving into EMDR to help re-program my brain to handle memories that trigger stress. I used to take medication, but haven't for three years now.

Please take care of yourself... sleep, eat right, water, some exercise. Please.

Lots of hugs your way.:grouphug:

So sorry you are feeling like this! :grouphug: I highly, highly recommend that you seek a physician (psychiatrist) who is qualified and knowledgeable about these problems. There is help for this! Thank God for His common grace to all in providing medicine & technology to help those who are suffering physically and emotionally. Don't fall for feeling condemned~ you are loved with an everlasting Love! Hang in there... Don't lose years to something that can be treated. :grouphug: Have your dh or best friend or family member hold you accountable for making an appointment, even if they must schedule it for you.

Praying for you....

Thank you all for responding! It really does help to know I am not alone in anxiety because it sometimes feels like I am the only one who has someone wrong with them.

I am not opposed to medication, I do not think it is sinful at all; like taking medication for any other illness whether mental or physical. I would prefer not to becuse of fear of side effects and making me even "crazier", but if it would help, I would totally take it.

Has anyone used natural supplements that seemed to help? Like Kava kava? Has anyone taken that?

Thank you again everyone!

I am so sorry you have joined the anxiety club. It is truly awful. I was always a worrier, but it just got out of control after my second child. Like you, I would get so nervous when driving. I would grip the steering wheel, sweat, my heart would beat faster, and I was constantly on the lookout for potential dangers and planning what I would do, if say, a huge truck swerved my way. It was ridiculous! I also had a lot of anxiety over my health and mortality. Often times I would be anxious, but unable to pinpoint an exact cause. I finally started taking Celexa and it changed everything. I know some people prefer to go another route, but like a pp said, I see it as a chemical imbalance that needs to be treated the same way any other medical condition would be. So, I chose meds as my treatment and they have been amazing. I have been lucky to have no side effects. I had to go off of them when I was pregnant and it was then that I realized I will likelytake them forever. I regressed right back into that constantly anxious state. Ugh...it is such an awful thing. Especially because you "know" you are being paranoid, but you just can't turn it off. So, hugs to you and Ihope you find something that helps you as well!!

:grouphug: I'm so sorry for you. I'll be praying for you.

My take on things like depression and anxiety (which I've suffered from in the past) is that they are an indication that something in the brain/mind needs a rest. Meds can carry you through and give your mind chance to heal in peace, much as a plaster cast protects a limb and gives it chance to heal without risk of further damage.

I also had several months' counselling from a person-centred, Christian counsellor. I now believe that was equally important to my healing.

Just my 2c.

ETA: I now see a naturopath, and would recommend alternative medicine, though I would be cautious in self-treating. My inclination would be to make an appointment with a naturopath, herbalist, homeopath or acupuncturist and see what works for you.

Edited by Hedgehog

Please, please get a full blood work-up as quickly as you can manage it.

I toughed it out for years. Years.

Turns out I was/am anemic (chronic, don't know why). Iron supplements changed my life. Get BOTH the hemoglobin test AND the ferritin test--they measure iron differently. You can be "fine" on the hemoglobin test but not with ferritin--the result of low numbers on either tests means exhaustion and misery for you.

Also turns out I am vitamin D deficient. A judicious combination of supplements and light therapy made a HUGE difference.

While you're at it, check your thyroid and anything else they can check. A simply blood panel could provide an easy solution to the problem.

I had similar issues. Turns out mine was from constant mold exposure and low B-12 levels. Also I read that there is an over abundances of anxiety problems due to caffeine use. I'd say cut out caffeine and take some B-12 and make sure you don't have mold problems :) I am still reconditioning myself to the fact that I am no longer abnormally anxious. I got so used to it that I started getting anxious about being anxious. Hang in there. Hugs!

You are on the right track to increase your exercise levels. Exercise whenever you feel anxious if it's possible, but exercising 5-6 days per week can give you a baseline of stress relief.

You could try cognitive behavioral therapy. It teaches you skill sets for handling yourself when your anxiety is overwhelming. For instance, it teaches you how to relax your body (that counters the physical tension from anxiety) and teaches you how to handle the anxious thoughts.

You might find that you need medication. If you do, that's okay. This is a physiological problem, not a spiritual problem.

I struggle with depression/anxiety and have written a lot about it on my blog, if you are interested, and from a Christian standpoint as well. I'm so sorry you are struggling...

The bigger of my 2 battles is with depression, but I wanted to throw out a few things that might be things you could look into. I am on lexapro and it has worked beautifully for me...though I firmly believe everyone's body is different, sometimes it is a trial and error - which is a VERY trying time...but if you can something that works (medication or a more natural approach) it is SO worth it!!

*The Depression Cure - a book I just finished, it gives several steps to take to help get rid of depression without medication. Very good read!!

*5 HTP - a natural supplement that might help

*St. John's Wort

*Fish oil - a good, quality and higher dose (described in the book I mentioned above too)

*Vitamin D (a supplement as well as getting outside every single day)

Please, please get a full blood work-up as quickly as you can manage it.

I toughed it out for years. Years.

Turns out I was/am anemic (chronic, don't know why). Iron supplements changed my life. Get BOTH the hemoglobin test AND the ferritin test--they measure iron differently. You can be "fine" on the hemoglobin test but not with ferritin--the result of low numbers on either tests means exhaustion and misery for you.

Also turns out I am vitamin D deficient. A judicious combination of supplements and light therapy made a HUGE difference.

While you're at it, check your thyroid and anything else they can check. A simply blood panel could provide an easy solution to the problem.

:iagree::iagree:

I am in the same anxiety boat. I started with severe anxiety when I tiurned 40. Mine tends to focus around my health. When I turned 40, a switch came on and all those commericals for medications, and preventitve medicine were coming to life. I was at THAT age. The age of my health risks doubling.

Then I go ahead and get a kidney stone shortly after my 40th birthday, and they found a mass on my kidney during the CT Scan. I convinced myself I had kidney cancer and I was at deaths door. I agaonized for 3 weeks before having an IVP CT Scan, and it turns out I had an accessory spleen. That whole ordeal scared the daylights out of me and made my anxiety even worse.

To this day, I have a love/hate relationship with Dr's and medical facilities. I panic, so I go. But when I get there I don't want to go out of fear.

And for a long time I also struggled with riding in a car, driving, going out in public.

For three years I have lived with anxiety. I started on medication and it has eased up where I can at least go out and drive and in public without fear.

But I still have that feeling of I might drop dead at any minute.

I am anemic and Vitamin D deficient as well. I am currently on Iron and D vitamins, along with a host of other things.

But there is no cure for anxiety. It is a hard road. And you have good days, then you have your bad days. Cognitive behavioral therapy works well. It gives you the tools to manage your anxiety. I know I have to talk myself down quite a bit.

I have very understanding Dr's who know what I am like. So they are very careful on how they word things around me.

I try to turn my worries over to God, but that is an issue for me as well because control is something I cannot seem to let go.

And someday we are all going to die. And I have no control over that. So this is where it gets tricky for me.

I wouls try to speak to a Psychiatrist and get into some kind of CBT therapy with a Christian Counselor. Get some bloodwork done, so you know if you are deficient in anything.

Exercise, keep busy. Baby steps. You are not alone.

:grouphug: to you.

I have always been a super laid back person, so when I came up with Panic Attack Disorder most people didnt even believe I had it! It was horrible...I actually couldnt leave my house for 4 months I had gone so crazy. I was engaged, that failed. I lost my job and couldnt pay my bills and had to move back in with my parents. I am Christian and I did counseling. The only thing that helped me was Prozac. I tried 2 other meds before that and they made me feel crazier. 2 weeks after I started Prozac I literally felt a switch kick on in my brain and I never had an attack since. I weaned off my meds 3 years later and have been off them for about or 9 years now. Without the drugs I have no idea where I would be today...I was literally going insane. I couldnt function. I am not ashamed at all to ever say I was on Prozac. It probably saved my life.

:grouphug:

Edited by kwickimom
typo

For those who have taken meds, what kind of doctor is the best to go see? H

I am encouraged to hear that there are those who have success with medication. I just have this stupid fear that it will make me more anxious or worse yet,I will turn into a super crazy lady and hurt my kids or something ( for thr record, I haven't ever had those feeling, I am just afraid that meds would cause those horrible thoughts.)

Again, I am encouraged to know I am not thr only one who feels this way.

The best person to see is either a Psychiatrist, or a pharmacologist(SP?).

There are several medications. If you are nervous about them, you can start on something low dose, such as Prozac. It has been on the market for years, and is even approved for children under the age of 18. And it is very easy to come off of should decide to stop taking them. Prozac is in the SSRI category.

I take Effexor XR. It is kind of in the "big guns" category. It is an SSNRI. But Effexor XR is NOT a fun drug to wean from. I decided last year that I was "better" and my Dr gave me a weaning schedule. It was horrible. I had brain zaps, nausea, sleepy, irritable, vertigo for over two months. I had to take dramamine to stop the vertigo.

But, after a few months off of it, I was back to the horrific anxiety, and I went back on it. I have been on Effexor XR now for about 2 1/2 years. It works well for *me*. It is for both depression, OCD, and anxiety.

Anxiety meds also come in Benzos. Such as Valium, or even Klonipan. I do not recommend benzo's as they are highly addictive.

The one anxiety med that is really good and non-addictive is Buspar. If you are not depressed and JUST anxious, this is an excellent choice. Low dose, and you can stop at any time. No withdrawal effects. It does take about 2-6 weeks to help, but it works in most people.

If you have any questions, you can always PM me.

I have suffered with anxiety for many years. Finally, 8 years ago, it became much worse. It was OCD. I started taking Paxil, and it's been a godsend. Side effects for me have been virtually none: I was very sleepy for the first two weeks. That's it.

PMS can definitely exacerbate anxiety; when I do have an OCD worry pop into my head, and mention it to my dh, his first response is, "Are you about to get your period?" And the answer is invariably yes. Some people take a higher dose at that time of the month.

Now my anxiety is so minimal as to be a non-issue in my life. It's a blessing.

Wendi

I have not suffered with anxiety all my life, I have three kids and after the birth of them I felt anxious, coming and going. Never took anything due to nursing and just took it a day at a time and just attirubted it to hormones, etc. I weaned my last almost a year ago, and felt good for awhile and now I feel full of anxiety. I hate the feeling. I am a Christian, I put my faith and hope in Jesus, I know that the heavenly father is ultimately in charge

no matter what happens. But the physical symptoms are overwhelming. I swear I am going to fall over dead or suddenly go blind (I know I am ridicoulos). Driving is awful now. I can handle streets I am familiar with but seriously feel like I am going to pass out from stress on new streets/ highway. I have a lot of brain fog and obese over stupid stuff, like having a horrible disease. I asked my obgyn to test my thyroid, hormone levels, vit d level, etc... all normal. So I guess I have just turned into an anxeity ridden person. Again, I have not always been like this, just since the birth of kids. I do a fairly good job of keeping it to myself. I excercise about 3 times a week, I know I need to increase this and recently started taken a good quality vitamin and high quality fish oil. Ughhhhh. I just HATE feeling awful all the time.

I am double checking this post because I think I wrote it, seriously! This is getting flat out ridiculous in my life. I can't go to bed at night without wondering if I am going to wake up the next morning. I pray and pray and pray, but I ust don't know how to stop the madness. I don't feel like it's that serious. I just feel like it's me being a little crazy. I am planning to talk to my Dr. about it this coming week, but I would like to avoid medication at this point if at all possible.

Happyhomemaker25: you said it just feels like you being a little crazy. That's the thing about Anxiety....you know realistically you are not being rational, but you just can't control it. Even if you tell yourself you're over reacting or being paranoid, the physical symptoms just won't go away:( I hope you are able to get the help you need. It's no fun at all!!

To OP: I saw a psychiatrist for my original diagnosis and prescription. Now I go to my family doctor for refills, dose management, check ups. HTH!

I struggle with depression/anxiety and have written a lot about it on my blog, if you are interested, and from a Christian standpoint as well. I'm so sorry you are struggling...

The bigger of my 2 battles is with depression, but I wanted to throw out a few things that might be things you could look into. I am on lexapro and it has worked beautifully for me...though I firmly believe everyone's body is different, sometimes it is a trial and error - which is a VERY trying time...but if you can something that works (medication or a more natural approach) it is SO worth it!!

*The Depression Cure - a book I just finished, it gives several steps to take to help get rid of depression without medication. Very good read!!

*5 HTP - a natural supplement that might help

5htp has worked wonders for me.

*St. John's Wort

Just wanted to point out, 5HTP should not be combined with St John's Wort, or any other anti-depressant meds.

*Fish oil - a good, quality and higher dose (described in the book I mentioned above too)

Fish oil with a high level of DHA- for brain health also helps me.

*Vitamin D (a supplement as well as getting outside every single day)

Magnesium also has a calming effect. I have some anxiety and also Fibromyalgia. All of the above work for me. My DS has anxiety and I've had to search for ways to help him. I'd say exercise and cognitive behavioral methods, plus using scripture and prayer help him tremendously. I am still sorting out a treatment plan for him. I know that as another poster mentioned it is not good for him to spend too much time alone--b/c that's when the worry machine starts.

I also want to encourage you to look around on the internet for articles about Christians and anxiety. There are a number of very good resources out there to help you use scripture and prayer as a tool for dealing with anxiety. There are also many good books available that will teach you to use cognitive behavioral methods to deal with it.

I am not against medication, and taking it certainly doesn't mean you are lacking in faith, but there are some people whose bodies just can't handle medication. After some very bad experiences with a popular anti-depressant, my current doctor has actually written in my chart that I should never be given another anti-depressant again. I'm not saying you shouldn't try some kind of meds, just be aware of how they make you feel and contact your doctor immediately if you start having any strange symptoms. For me the meds actually make me worse. In the past I was skeptical about supplements , but now I use supplements and exercise because I was not able to use conventional medicine.

You've received some really good advice here. Now you just have to sort through it an decide what you want to try for yourself. I pray that you will find some relief soon. :grouphug:

Shannon

I would go to a doctor, but I would also consider the spiritual aspect of depression.

In my case God used depression to save me and then to lead me into a deeper relationship with Him.

Cry out to Him, ask Him for help. He helps us.

I wanted to offer a link to an article from a site called "Grace to You." I hope it is helpful to you.

http://www.gty.org/Resources/Articles/A195_Keeping-a-Pure-Conscience?q=depression

God has used the Bible teaching resources on this site to strengthen and grow us in Him. May God bless you and give you strength.

Edited by just Jenny

Have you read my post from this morning? I have Bipolar disorder, and I know what you are going through. I think you need to get in to see a psychiatrist as soon as possible. Find a good one who is conservative in regards to meds. And believe me, I know what it's like to feel torn between having enough faith and taking medications. :grouphug:

PM if you would like to.

I have severe anxiety and panic disorder. I take buspar and zoloft, I will not take anything that will be addictive or make me dopey like valium, ativan, or xanax or klonopin. The medications I take do not work right away, they take a couple weeks to build up first. I had to work with a psychiatrist for several months to get the right doses. I make sure I excercise on a regular basis. I do deep breathing and relaxation exercises. I learned how to knit!

Before, I had so much chest pain and shortness of breath and such a rapid pulse (160 beats a minute at rest) that I thought I had terrible heart troubles. I have every cardiac test known, and spent time in the hospital on telemetry units and at home on a heart monitor. I had horrible nightmares every night, and obsessive thoughts about family members getting hurt or killed. I was having trouble sleeping, was exhausted and irritable all the time, and finally got to the point where I couldn't even sit to read a single sentence in a book (and I have always been a bookworm) without getting up and pacing around. My hands shook constantly.

Now, I feel a lot better. Not like drugged out blissful, but more myself. I still have bad dreams sometimes, and get anxious about things that I know I really shouldn't get worked up about. My pulse is between 80 and 120 beats a minute at rest and I don't get chest pain very often. I usually sleep pretty well. I don't feel as irritable or exhausted. I can read books again. My hands don't shake. I can focus on things. I enjoy my kids and I am not constantly yelling at them.

I know that people don't like the idea of taking medication for something like anxiety, but really if you had diabetes or high cholesterol you wouldn't think twice about taking medication. The medication that I take affects the levels of certain neurotransmitters in my brain that apparently had gotten out of kilter, so I just figure that like diabetics taking insulin I just have to take these medications to restore order in my body.

If you think you might have anxiety then I would suggest you see a psychiatrist, not a family practice doctor. Sometimes family doctors try to treat you but they are not as experienced with anxiety.

You can PM me if you want to talk!

I have always been a type A personality who likes to plan ahead and control situations. When I am out of balance, I have issues with anxiety although nothing clinical....just less peace and joy. I have tried several cognitive approaches to addressing this through the years with pretty good success. I also can see my self heading more in the OCD direction when I am out of balance. Once I got too far gone to just think my way back to a healthy place. The only thing that worked was intense exercise to change my brain chemistry. Mostly though, when I realize I am becoming anxious I use a cognitive strategy. Cognitive restructuring is one strategy my Social Worker/Therapy friend called my approach. Another approach that seems very simple but really works for me it when an anxious thought enters my head, I identify it and immediately do not think of it anymore. I replace it with something more productive to think about. The more I let the anxious thought hang around in my head, the stronger it becomes. Square breathing or yoga breathing will help calm your body down.

If it wasn't included in your other tests, get your B12 levels checked. Getting my B12 levels up in the normal range really relaxed my mind. It was as though my mind was suddenly still.

I also think fish oil and exercise help tremendously for bouts of anxiety and the blues. Also, B6 helps with the hormonal times but I've read you need to be careful not to take too much. It seems that people talk a lot about PMS, but with age it seems the post is worse than the pre.

Has anyone used natural supplements that seemed to help? Like Kava kava? Has anyone taken that?

Thank you again everyone!

Oh My...I have tried this.....it was awful!! I was having periods of intense anxiety and wanted to try something "easy" that was not a drug, and I thought I was desperate, but not THAT desperate! I ordered some online from somewhere and it came in a container like cocoa comes in. You just stir a tablespoon into your drink. It tasted like drinking dirt. I think I tried it hot as well as cold. Just plain nasty. For my episodes, I ended up taking a beta blocker and it stopped the adreneline rush that would happen when I felt the panic rising. I did not have nonstop panic though.

So, my recommendation is not to waste your $$ on Kavakava;)