Menu

What are your thoughts on fads?

What do you teach your kids regarding what they are and how to respond to them or think about them? What standards do you have or principles do you have behind what you do regarding fads?

I want to put on the record that I don't think it is morally repugnant or morally superior for someone and their family to follow fads or to eschew them. I personally don't like to follow the crowd without thought, though sometimes my thought-out direction matches that of the crowd. I'm trying to figure out what I think about fads and how to direct my dd who is especially susceptible to every passing fad. I'm leaning toward a middle of the ground - we allow some "innocuous" fads but not others kind of a position but that doesn't seem fair without some criteria for determining what is ok and what isn't. And ultimately I don't want to be the one deciding anyway - I want them to have the tools to make those decisions for themselves.

So - help me out here, please!

Do you mean kid fads? The first thing that comes to mind is silly bands. They were just suddenly everywhere. But because my kids hardly know any kids who go to school, I think *I* was more aware of them than the kids, at least until summer, when they met kids who were into them at summer camp. They didn't really go crazy for them though. I've probably over-indoctrinated my kids with media literacy and to be suspicious of advertising and to question whether a toy is actually fun and something they want. But if they did get really into something, then that would be okay - assuming it was something innocuous like the silly bands (and honestly, I can't think of much that wouldn't be offhand...).

At the moment it is silly bands. She trades them with the neighbor girls. She has saved up $6.00 to buy a necklace made of the rubber and then silly bands to put on it. But it can be almost every new toy she sees on t.v. that gets her attention. She saved up $12 last year to buy they EZ-clip things that put your hair up. She's worn it twice, I think.

But I can see that this will be an issue for her as she gets older and more in the teen years. I want to think it through and have principles in place now so that once she's a teen she has the skills to really think things through and make good choices.

I guess it would depend on the child's reason for liking the fad; is it to be accepted because everyone else does it, or is it because they think it's fun and want to give it a go. At which point I would address the issue, if need be.

I have a dd who doesn't go much for fads, and while I'm grateful not to have to sweat that too much for now, I kind of sometimes wonder what her deal is that she is never drawn to those sorts of things.

(so, I guess, no matter what the kid does, I'll psycho-analyze it :001_huh: :confused:)

To me, the positive thing about the silly bands is that they encouraged socializing and sharing for kids (not so much mine, who could take them or leave them... but other kids we know). Trading them, showing them off, sharing them, etc. - that was all sort of positive to me. And they were so cheap... you know, assuming you didn't save up for a special necklace for them?

The thing where kids buy the sensationalized stuff they see on TV (and then drop it because it's junk) feels a little different to me - and more negative. Like, it's one thing to get something because everyone else is doing it - obviously that's not always good, but there's a social motivation to be with the other kids, to share an interest with them. But getting what the TV tells you is good? Eh. But I'm the crazy person who was showing her kids toy commercial critiques when they were 4. I feel like doing that - seeing good advertising critiques (like the one where they show you how they make the model up and then digitally manipulate her image in order to get the picture for the ad or there's a youtube one where they show the picture of the fast food in the ad and then in reality - it makes you want to retch) - helps kids somewhat. But some kids are just pretty susceptible to it - so are some adults, even when we know better. I mean, advertising is just so powerful.

So far we let our kids participate. Especially if they use their own money. We have a total silly band craze here right now, and I think it is harmless. My 10 year old has about 75 and thinks she would like to have about a 100. I have a Girl Scout troop of 9-11 year olds and they all trade silly bands, have either chosen team Edward or team Jacob, all have a strong opinion of Justin Beiber and they all think Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus is so last year. My 10 year old is right in the middle of all these fads and has a great time.

My 16 year old did the exact same thing at that age, but she grew out of it and has developed into a (mostly) mature young lady. I don't think following the fads hurt her at all. She enjoyed them and had a lot of fun, (and she secretly still loves the Jonas Brothers), but has grown out of following fads.

I remember fondly the fads when I was a kid. I had every plastic charm on my charm necklace that you could imagine, but I never got a cabbage patch doll...lol.

We stick with moderation as our main guide.

Is the fad immodest?

Is it immoral?

Does it hurt others?

We have bought dd's a few packs of zany bands. They have bought a few with their allowance. We don't buy them a package every time they go to the store (or even close....I think we've bought them 4 packs over the last few months.) I think they're harmless.

I like the current fashion of wearing leggings under skirts and think that it HELPS modesty, so several of their new winter outfits incorporate that. But, when we went shopping, we discussed clothing choices and why some of the skirts were NOT appropriate. Then, we insisted that the majority of their wardrobe consisted of classics that they could wear with a variety of things.

I find my child has very, very little exposure to fads. She doesn't watch any cable TV, doesn't listen to music, and just doesn't have a lot of friends who are "faddy."

As far as things like Silly Bands, well, they just don't interest her, because she hasn't been around many people (not just TV) telling her how great they are. To her, they are just rubber bands, and not very exciting.

I think it's all in the marketing, and if your child really isn't exposed to the marketing, she can see the truth more easily.

Now she's in 5th grade at ps, and she sees kids with Silly Bands on their legs (it's the "cool" way to wear them, here), and thinks it's, well, dumb, to spend that much money, or any money, on rubber bands. A great-aunt gave her some, but she just said thanks and put them on her desk to use if she ever needs a rubber band.

I can't think of any other fads at the moment, but I think she's just not that vulnerable to them.

This in no way implies judgement--I personally like some fads, and I think some are harmless.

For us it really depends upon the fad - cost, durability, possible longevity (Crocs come to mind) and morality of the item. We live in the suburbs of a major city, so fads are definitely a part of life here, and ds#1 is exposed to them primarily at church or in the neighborhood.

Silly bands are very popular at our house, and ds has many that he trades with neighborhood kids or other homeschool friends. Another popular fad are the tennis shoes by Sketchers that sparkle and light up. I can't remember what they are called. Each pair is about $40-50. To us, that is too much to spend, so even though ds#1 has asked for the boy version of these, we've explained that they are too much money and a regular pair of sneakers will be just fine. He doesn't argue with us. I believe if he were at school, however, he would probably fight the issue more because he would feel the peer pressure. My friends' children who attend public/private schools around here are often asking for things (even at age 6 or 7) because "everyone" has one/them. I'm glad we homeschool and can avoid the fad peer pressure for the most part.

We stick with moderation as our main guide.

Is the fad immodest?

Is it immoral?

Does it hurt others?

Basically the above. Add in how much does it cost. I wouldn't be willing to drop a ton of money on something that I didn't think would last or be used. Silly Bandz. No problem, but I wouldn't put too much into it.

As long as the fad doesn't cross any serious boundaries (explicit music, graphic images, etc) I don't mind the kids participating in fads...so long as they are paying for it.

She does extra chores to save up money for the trinkets etc.

Thank you, everyone, for all the replies. I was doing the moderate thing but just wanted to get things straight in my head. This discussion has helped.

So - help me out here, please!

My biggest objection to fads are

1) money....often a new gizmo that costs popular bucks

2) constant following, such that it absorbs people's lives. I know people at work who seemingly talk about nothing else but the latest. I think they all get infected from TV.

(and I'm grinding my teeth tonight over the TVs in the grocery in the checkout lanes. Is there NO place with a little peace? Our local Taco Del Mar now has a huge screen with Scooby Doo on it. The local lab has one in the waiting room. I LIKE my quiet thoughts. I like observing the world around me without flashing, noisy commentary.)

Hmmm... I don't think fads have ever been a problem here. Which is odd because up until two months ago we watched TV with commercials. Either Silly Bandz haven't gotten here yet or we don't know anyone with them. What else would there have been during the past 4 years or so?

Hmmm... I don't think fads have ever been a problem here. Which is odd because up until two months ago we watched TV with commercials. Either Silly Bandz haven't gotten here yet or we don't know anyone with them. What else would there have been during the past 4 years or so?

All the different cards. . . Pokemon, Yugioh. . . I don't know those are still popular.

Ds was aware of the boy fads but he wasn't interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my family is homeschooled and we don't have cable television, so we don't have problems with fads. Just the other daymy dd12 arrived at her Girl Scout meeting early and one of the other girls asked her what silly bands she had. Dd repplied, "What's a silly band?"

I say if your child wants to buy a dinosaur-shaped rubberband with his own money, let him.

-Littlemother

Mother to dd12, dd 11, 2 ds10, dd7 and 2 dd4.

Reality is the best teacher.

Well, my family is homeschooled and we don't have cable television, so we don't have problems with fads. Just the other daymy dd12 arrived at her Girl Scout meeting early and one of the other girls asked her what silly bands she had. Dd repplied, "What's a silly band?"

I say if your child wants to buy a dinosaur-shaped rubberband with his own money, let him.

-Littlemother

Mother to dd12, dd 11, 2 ds10, dd7 and 2 dd4.

Reality is the best teacher.

:lol: My family is homeschooled and we don't have cable television either. So what should I blame for our problem with fads? :lol: