Menu

Have you found any "gems" this year?

rafiki

http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Greatest-Train-Ride-Videos/dp/B001NVZT9M/ref=sr_1_16?s=video&ie=UTF8&qid=1286905899&sr=1-16

This VHS of Korea was perfect after reading Peacebound Trains in our TOG modern history.

These old VHS show religion, economics, and politics of the region as they interview the people in the country all while enjoying a train ride.

Win-Win for my kids.

We are really loving Brimwood Press's history/worldview materials. We're trying to cover the whole thing quickly, to give a bird's-eye view, but it's hard because there are so many rabbit trails we could go down. One could easily make this into a fabulous world history course for a year. What we're doing is going through the materials first (in about 12 weeks), supplementing with documentaries from Netflix or the library, and the occasional book (Gilgamesh the Hero, for example), then using the rest of the year to go through Take Me Back, add more info to the timeline, and fill out history worksheets on topics that interest ds. We're doing a lot of worldview discussion, as ds is in 8th grade. (And today we did some civics, as a discussion of Roman government led to conversation about why our Congress is set up as two houses.)

Very cool. Perfect for logic stage.

Wendi

Mine would be Logic Links Puzzle Box. My oldest really struggled with left vs right, sequencing, and following directions. When we started, he couldn't do any of these independently. He's made a lot of progress with this hands on approach.

I recently bought Noodlers Puzzle Box which works on spacial skills as well. This one is even more challenging.

Both are a nice break from typical thinking skills workbooks.

My ds has problems with sequencing. Where did you find these?

I really like everything we are using now. But, if I had to pick the one new thing that we have liked the best, it is Mark Kistler's Draw Squad. I was really quite skeptical that this would be a hit. I wasn't at all familiar with it when I ordered it but did so on a whim after wanting one little something extra to add to my Sonlight order. My 11 year old is loving it and thanks me all the time for getting it for him.

The Time Travelers history guide by Homeschool in the Woods is awesome!! I love TOG but it was just a little too much for the ages of my boys. I found this and it's great. It has just the right amount of information and they're actually retaining what they're learning. It also has crafts and lapbook projects which are idiot-proof (for people like me :D.) We're about 1/2 way thru the Civil War unit and will be moving onto the new unit on the Industrial Revolution...fantastic!

We're also really enjoying the Horrible Geography books (put out by the same people who do Horrible Histories.) I'm using them along with a couple of Horrible Science books this year in place of a science curriculum and finally I'm not stressing about science this year...and again, they're learning so I'm not complaining! :hurray:

For us this year, it is IEW's All Things Fun & Fascinating. We are doing a lesson every couple weeks in lieu of WWE and the boys are really enjoying it. I think ds#1 likes the structure; he also is willingly writing, so that is a very good thing. (I do have to admit we are working through ATF&F without having either watched TWSS or SWI, though I think I'll buy TWSS this spring and use it to continue teaching writing to ds#1 next year.)

Our gems this year are:

MCT Island Level

Drive Thru History

Let's Play Music

Teaching Textbooks (used it in previous years, but it's still a gem)

Sequential Spelling DVD

just starting and hoping will be gems:

Rainbow Science

All American History

All About Spelling

Phonics Intervention

IEW

Rightstart Math

Fallacy Detective

Smiles,

Shalynn

Is the author Jane Ervin? I've been looking at the Reading Comprehension in Varied Subject Matter for my 3rd grader.

Doh! I miswrote the name of the book. It's called Story Elements and it's one of those little workbooks that they sell on Rainbow Resource. It's basically 3-4th grade level Reading Comprehension exercises in consumable workbook form. It's short. It's only 45 pages. My 3rd grader likes it. It covers character, setting, conflict and plot. It says, "Learning about the components of stories to deepen comprehension".

We're such nerds. :tongue_smilie:

Mapping the World with Art by Ellen McHenry.

I am happy with all we are using, but this was the new gem. Dd didn't want to do geography, but likes drawing and it has been such a good fit. She is getting art and geography all in one program and I hardly do anything!

Dancing Bears Phonics. I've been struggling with phonics for quite awhile with my son (8) and thought I'd found the answer in Teach Your Child in 100 EZ Lessons. He has some trouble with pronounciation and tends to memorize words rather then decode and I've found both frustrating. 100 EZL semed to be the answer.

And then I bought Dancing Bear (and Apples and Pears) this year and the difference has been remarkable.

Mapping the World with Art by Ellen McHenry.

I am happy with all we are using, but this was the new gem. Dd didn't want to do geography, but likes drawing and it has been such a good fit. She is getting art and geography all in one program and I hardly do anything!

I have her programs on my list for future. Good to hear your dd likes it.

Dancing Bears Phonics. I've been struggling with phonics for quite awhile with my son (8) and thought I'd found the answer in Teach Your Child in 100 EZ Lessons. He has some trouble with pronounciation and tends to memorize words rather then decode and I've found both frustrating. 100 EZL semed to be the answer.

And then I bought Dancing Bear (and Apples and Pears) this year and the difference has been remarkable.

For me ABeCeDarian was the answer. I hear it's similar to Dancing Bears. If I hadn't heard of ABCD first I would have gotten Dancing Bears.

REWARDS is working great for ds.

Edited by Kleine Hexe