Menu

What would you do?

I was prescribed medication today. It is not absolutely necessary for health or well-being, but could make my life easier. The doctor visit was a $50 copay and the prescription was $20 (supposed to be $40, but the manufacturer has a coupon code.)

I just realized because of the nature of the medication, I have to have a new paper prescription each month for this medicine. This doctors' office has a policy of not giving prescriptions without an appointment ($50), except sometimes they might, but you have to pay $25 for them to look at the chart and see if it could be done. I think I would still have to go get the prescription.

So, I may have to drive 45+ minutes each way once a month to pay $25-50 for a visit to get the new prescription. The gas alone is more than we can really handle, let alone the copay. I am thinking I shouldn't even start the medication as financially it isn't feasible (and like I said - not required for basic health but could be very good for me.)

Why couldn't I have figured this out *before* I went today? Would you just not take it at all or would you take it knowing you might not be able to continue?

If I didn't really need it, I wouldn't bother regardless of all the added expense and frustration.

If I did really need it, I'd call the dr back and inform him of the paper every month policy and ask to have the rx written in advance and placed in my chart for when I will need them. If he says no, then I'd tell him that means I'd have to do without due to cost or request a different rx that won't be so difficult ton refill.

If I didn't really need it, I wouldn't bother regardless of all the added expense and frustration.

If I did really need it, I'd call the dr back and inform him of the paper every month policy and ask to have the rx written in advance and placed in my chart for when I will need them. If he says no, then I'd tell him that means I'd have to do without due to cost or request a different rx that won't be so difficult ton refill.

I do *need* it, but not for basic health. I will not die without it - that was what I was trying to say. However, it could possibly make my quality of life (and my family's) much, much better.

If it would really help me, and I could scrape together the money without cutting into the food budget and still make the electric payment, then I might do it. Otherwise, no I probably wouldn't. Only if it didn't impact my health in a negative way. Your kids need you healthy.

I'm so sorry. These are tough decisions.

I would contact the office, explain that you were given this prescription today and just realized that it is the kind of prescription that must be rewritten every month. Explain that you cannot afford to come in every month just for a prescription renewal and ask if they can automatically renew it without the visit/fees or if there is another option. I would even explain that you would have to go without the medication entirely if there isn't a way to work around the fees.

If they are unable to work around the monthly fees, I would consider finding a different doctor. I think it is unreasonable to expect you to pay $25/$50 just to renew an ongoing prescription.

I do *need* it, but not for basic health. I will not die without it - that was what I was trying to say. However, it could possibly make my quality of life (and my family's) much, much better.

After reading this, maybe you should. Sounds like it could really impact your family.

That's crazy. I would call and argue (nicely) about the cost and inconvenience. The office probably won't budge and so I would just find another doctor anyway. My son has to have his paper prescription every month but there is no extra fee. I just call and the office has it waiting for me. Plus, the office was willing to work with an affiliate closer to me so that I wouldn't have to drive so far.

There are reasonable medical offices out there. Hope you find one.

I would contact the office, explain that you were given this prescription today and just realized that it is the kind of prescription that must be rewritten every month. Explain that you cannot afford to come in every month just for a prescription renewal and ask if they can automatically renew it without the visit/fees or if there is another option. I would even explain that you would have to go without the medication entirely if there isn't a way to work around the fees.

If they are unable to work around the monthly fees, I would consider finding a different doctor. I think it is unreasonable to expect you to pay $25/$50 just to renew an ongoing prescription.

:iagree: If the office staff doesn't want to help you find a solution, ask to speak with the doctor. Usually they're flexible.

Thanks, everyone. I did a search and found doctors closer to me that might be able to see me in the next couple of months. I went to this doctor for availability, but I could schedule an appointment with another much closer doctor when they have availability and see the current doctor until then.

I knew there had to be a solution, I just could wrap my brain around it. Thanks!

Check with your insurance to see if they do any prescriptions by mail. You can usually order a 3 month supply at a time, saving you the expense of the drs visit and the drive. Also, check and see if this med is one of the Walmart prescriptions--I think they are $6 or something like that.

And if it's something like an antidepressant, take it. Not saying it is, not asking if it is. But if it is, do it. :001_smile:

:iagree:

I can't imagine that this policy would apply to this type of prescription. Is it addictive? Dangerous? If so, I wouldn't take it. If not, I would call to make sure I understand the policy correctly. If they really expected me to pay for an office visit every single month, I would find a different doctor -- one to prescribe a different drug, or have an easier policy (come in every three - six months, call to come get refill scripts -- no office visit charge).

As long as you can afford to pay your bills and feed your kids, then I would find a way to get the meds. Your family deserves to have you healthy and you deserve to be healthy. I'd talk with the office about why you need a paper prescription and how it inconveniences you. They may have legitimate reasons for wanting the consult visit now and then be willing to forgo the doctor's appointment after a couple of months.

Or tell him that you will GO TO A DIFFERENT DR! I am on Adderall which requires that I go pick up the paper prescription every month. I call them and my dr just writes it and leaves it at the desk. If she did NOT do that....I'd find a different dr!

Oh, and I take the generic, which costs me about $1.60 per month. I don't even know what the name brand costs!

Depending on the med, they might be able to write TWO prescriptions at each appointment which would cut your copays in 1/2. My daughter's psychiatrist does this for us on a regular basis. Then if we need another paper one they just mail it to us.

If it is a new med, I can see why the doctor might want to see you in a month to check to see how you are doing if the dose is correct, any side effects, etc.

You could ask if there is a generic or a different but similar med you could try. In area Walmart and several other big pharmacies have generic prescriptions for $4 for those without insurance. Maybe a medication that would work well for you is on that list.

If not, you could contact the drug company for some more coupons/vouchures for the meds. Since it is one that requires a monthly written prescription then it is most likely one doctors do not have samples of. You could ask though if the doctor has samples or even vouchures in the office.

If nothing else, they should be able to mail you a prescription until you can find a doctor closer.

Another option if this is a psych med is to try your local community mental health where the fees are on a sliding scale or free. Might not be ideal but might allow you to take the medication that could really be helpful.

:iagree:

I can't imagine that this policy would apply to this type of prescription. Is it addictive? Dangerous? If so, I wouldn't take it. If not, I would call to make sure I understand the policy correctly. If they really expected me to pay for an office visit every single month, I would find a different doctor -- one to prescribe a different drug, or have an easier policy (come in every three - six months, call to come get refill scripts -- no office visit charge).

I am assuming it is a schedule II med. that does indeed have these requirements.

my mom was on a heavy duty narcotic (opium) and I had to get her prescription each month. They wouldn't fax it, they wouldn't mail it. I had to go to the office to get it each month. BUT, it was ready for me, and I paid NO fee for the doctor's office to do this. I've never heard of a doctor's office doing as you say. I hope you find someone close by soon!!!

Here is a link to prescribing laws: http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubs/manuals/pract/section5.htm

I am assuming that you are talking about a schedule II med. There are ways to work around going in every month and doctors are aware of these (as listed in link above). Another option is for the dr. to write the prescription for a stronger amount than you need so that you can cut the med into a smaller dosage so that it last longer. For instance, say that you need a 5 mg. dose, the dr. could write the script for 20 mg. then you can cut the pill into quarters to get a 5 mg. dose. A dr. would probably only do this for a well established patient though. However, if you are just starting the med, most doctors will want to see you for the first couple months to monitor your progress and make sure it is working well for you without any side effects. These meds can be written to a mail-in pharmacy for a 90 day supply but I don't know any mail-in pharmacies not affliliated with an insurance companies that will fill a schedule II med.

Here is a link to prescribing laws: http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubs/manuals/pract/section5.htm

I am assuming that you are talking about a schedule II med. There are ways to work around going in every month and doctors are aware of these (as listed in link above). Another option is for the dr. to write the prescription for a stronger amount than you need so that you can cut the med into a smaller dosage so that it last longer. For instance, say that you need a 5 mg. dose, the dr. could write the script for 20 mg. then you can cut the pill into quarters to get a 5 mg. dose. A dr. would probably only do this for a well established patient though. However, if you are just starting the med, most doctors will want to see you for the first couple months to monitor your progress and make sure it is working well for you without any side effects. These meds can be written to a mail-in pharmacy for a 90 day supply but I don't know any mail-in pharmacies not affliliated with an insurance companies that will fill a schedule II med.

It is a schedule 2 med. I do expect that I will have to see the doctor each month for the first month or two as the dosage gets settled. It can't be cut. I can get the med through the insurance 3 month supply, but then I can't use the discount card (it pays 1/2 the copay.) However, if I would have to pay $25 each time, it would still come in cheaper.

I am going to find a closer doctor and make an appointment, even if it is 2-3 months out. I don't mind picking up a paper prescription each month as long as I don't have to go 45 minutes away and it doesn't cost me each time!

Thanks!

I don't think that schedule 2 drugs are more dangerous for most people. In fact, more people have serious problems with the normal prescription drugs (antibiotic, blood pressure medications, blood thinning medications). That is not why they have stronger regulations. They have stronger regulations because there is a illegal market for these drugs.

I am not even sure I understand why one of my daughter's medications is on the schedule. Because of the way it metabolizes, there is no way for people to abuse this medication. I am not sure if it is on the schedule just because the law is written in an archaic way (ingredient list versus potential for abuse).

Depending on the med, they might be able to write TWO prescriptions at each appointment which would cut your copays in 1/2. My daughter's psychiatrist does this for us on a regular basis. Then if we need another paper one they just mail it to us.

Yeah, except with sched II meds, a doc can lose his DEA number for doing that.

OP: call your county health office. They will have a sliding fee clinic (no, it is not the "free" clinic - this is a different clinic - where you can go for med checks and to either get your meds (they normally dispense right there due to the drugs being scheduled), or can write a script.

Also, you may wish to start the process of getting on the discounted/free medication program of whichever manufacturer produces your medication. Some of them are extremely easy and almost immediate, and others are a bit convoluted and take a bit longer. All of them require a copy of your prescription and usually the signature of your doctor.

Good luck.

a

OP: call your county health office. They will have a sliding fee clinic (no, it is not the "free" clinic - this is a different clinic - where you can go for med checks and to either get your meds (they normally dispense right there due to the drugs being scheduled), or can write a script.

Also, you may wish to start the process of getting on the discounted/free medication program of whichever manufacturer produces your medication. Some of them are extremely easy and almost immediate, and others are a bit convoluted and take a bit longer. All of them require a copy of your prescription and usually the signature of your doctor.

Good luck.

a

Thanks, asta! I hadn't thought of that!

Good luck.

a

Asta,

Please see the link I posted. Dr. are now allowed to do that for up to three months worth of prescriptions. They can give you three prescriptions at one time, dated one months apart with specific instructions as to when to fill them or they can mail or have you come in to pick up paper copies for three months until they must see you again. If you have a mail-in prescription company through your insurance, they can write a 90 days prescription at one time.