Menu

Geology Literature, know any?

Guest TheBugsMom

Guest TheBugsMom

I promise this will be the last I ask about geology stuff(fingers crossed). I am looking for some literature with some geology theme/angle. All I can come up with is Journey to the Center of the Earth. Any others you can think of?

:lurk5:

I promise this will be the last I ask about geology stuff(fingers crossed). I am looking for some literature with some geology theme/angle. All I can come up with is Journey to the Center of the Earth. Any others you can think of?

:lurk5:

Around the World in 80 Days

get the whole story version!

Edited by Mandy in TN
to insert link

Guest TheBugsMom
Oh, maybe The 21 Balloons?

Mandy

Two good suggestions. Around the World in 80 Days I am going to have him read for geography though, but thanks for mentioning both books.

How about:

Journey to the Center of the Earth

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Tom Sawyer (river-related)

Red Sails to Capri

The Big Wave

Carry on Mr. Bowditch

Paddle to the Sea

We are getting ready to begin Madame How and Lady Why - "Introduces children to geology through conversations about earthquakes, volcanoes, coral reefs, and so on. Encourages children to wonder about the distinctive features of the landscape around them and how they came to be the way they are. "

HTH

Krista

Guest TheBugsMom
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Diary-of-John-Wesley-Powell-Conquering-the-Grand-Canyon/Connie-Roop/e/9780761410133

I'm not sure about this child's version, but my stream geomorphology prof in grad school worshipped this guy and would read excerpts from his diary around the campfire on our field site trips. . .

Hmm, I had never heard of this book, but it looks good. I'm off to do a library search. Thank you.

Guest TheBugsMom
How about:

Journey to the Center of the Earth

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Tom Sawyer (river-related)

Red Sails to Capri

The Big Wave

Carry on Mr. Bowditch

Paddle to the Sea

We are getting ready to begin Madame How and Lady Why - "Introduces children to geology through conversations about earthquakes, volcanoes, coral reefs, and so on. Encourages children to wonder about the distinctive features of the landscape around them and how they came to be the way they are. "

HTH

Krista

Great list! Thank you. These are all terrific suggestions. I have heard about Madame How and Lady Why, it is an older book, right? It sounds really good, I am glad you brought this up.

Here are the best translations for Verne. Most of the translations contemporary to Verne were either edited, altered, or rendered in awkward prose.

Highlights:

Miller’s retranslations of Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea (1965, 1976 -- linked edition is annotated) and From the Earth to the Moon (1978 -- linked edition is annotated) as well as his more recent co-publication with Frederick Paul Walter of Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea (US Naval Institute, 1993 -- linked edition is annotated);

Butcher’s fine translations of Journey to the Centre of the Earth (1992), Around the World in Eighty Days (1995), and Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Seas (1998) in the “Oxford World’s Classics†series published by Oxford UP;

Anthony Bonner’sTwenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea (Bantam, 1962) (The linked edition is illustrated);

Robert Baldick’s Journey to the Center of the Earth (Penguin, 1965), From the Earth to the Moon and Around the Moon (Dent/Dutton, 1970);

Sidney Kravitz’s The Mysterious Island (Wesleyan, 2001) and Jordon Stump’s version of the same (Modern Library, 2001);

Michael Glencross’s recent Around the World in Eighty Days (Penguin, 2004).

Guest TheBugsMom
Here are the best translations for Verne. Most of the translations contemporary to Verne were either edited, altered, or rendered in awkward prose.

Highlights:

Miller’s retranslations of Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea (1965, 1976 -- linked edition is annotated) and From the Earth to the Moon (1978 -- linked edition is annotated) as well as his more recent co-publication with Frederick Paul Walter of Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea (US Naval Institute, 1993 -- linked edition is annotated);

Butcher’s fine translations of Journey to the Centre of the Earth (1992), Around the World in Eighty Days (1995), and Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Seas (1998) in the “Oxford World’s Classics†series published by Oxford UP;

Anthony Bonner’sTwenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea (Bantam, 1962) (The linked edition is illustrated);

Robert Baldick’s Journey to the Center of the Earth (Penguin, 1965), From the Earth to the Moon and Around the Moon (Dent/Dutton, 1970);

Sidney Kravitz’s The Mysterious Island (Wesleyan, 2001) and Jordon Stump’s version of the same (Modern Library, 2001);

Michael Glencross’s recent Around the World in Eighty Days (Penguin, 2004).

I didn't realize this, thank you.

Hill of Fire -- an easy reader about a volcano that suddenly appeared in Mexico (true story). Easy, but enjoyable for older readers too.

Stone Wall Secrets -- picture book about a boy and the old walls on his grandfather's farm, each stone with its own history and story. A sweet book.

ETA We also love How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the Earth. And I have heard good things about A Pebble in My Pocket.

Edited by Alessandra

Great list! Thank you. These are all terrific suggestions. I have heard about Madame How and Lady Why, it is an older book, right? It sounds really good, I am glad you brought this up.

According to the Baldwin Project, it was first published before 1923. Thank you for starting this thread. We are studying earth science this year!

Krista

That Powell diary looks promising!

I'm going to have my kids read the following books for Earth Science this year (all ancient-Earth based :)):

T. Rex and the Crater of Doom

The Map that Changed the World

The Seashell on the Mountaintop

Dance of the Continents

None of them are novels, though...

For young kids, I loved these picture books

The Pebble in my Pocket

The Big Rock

Oh, and I forgot to mention the Roadside Geology book/series - they have one for most New England states - not sure about the rest of the country. Not for the kids to read, maybe a high schooler very interested in geology. My science teacher brother put me on to it. Who knew that east of the Connecticut River there are quite a number of micro-plates that floated across the Atlantic and slammed into the North American plate - each with their own different rocks and fossils? I live on a piece of land that used to be part of West Africa! Wow! I learned so much from this book.

Now I'm off to look at Jackie's recommendations! :D

Edited by matroyshka